Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    4 years is near enough the turnover for this series anyway. 1996, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2015 and 2018.

I watched Fallout again (for the 5th time) a few nights ago, still holds up.

Also, the original plan was for the 3rd entry to come out in 2004, 4 years after M:I 2.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, a bit like B25, there’s a whole other version of MI3, complete with different director (Joe Carnahan), which was going to happen. He’d even actually cast Kenneth Branagh, Carrie-Anne Moss and Scarlet Johansson in it.

I didin't know about that. I like the MI3 that we had, but an alternate version with Kenneth Branagh, Carrie-Anne Moss and Scarlett Johansson? Those three names alone, pique my interest.

I'm torn on the directors. While I liked that each one of the first 5 films had a different hand on the tiller (giving each film it's own distinct flavour), Fallout is so good, I can't find it in myself to complain about it being the 2nd one directed by McQuarrie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, a bit like B25, there’s a whole other version of MI3, complete with different director (Joe Carnahan), which was going to happen. He’d even actually cast Kenneth Branagh, Carrie-Anne Moss and Scarlet Johansson in it.
    Wow, I did not know this; it sounds like it had potential.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes they're such a perfect cast for an MI movie a part of me almost remembers it happening! :D
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I really should revisit FALLOUT one day. It’s the only M:I that I never had an urge to revisit. I’ve seen some of the others randomly since, even the TV show.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I really should revisit FALLOUT one day. It’s the only M:I that I never had an urge to revisit. I’ve seen some of the others randomly since, even the TV show.

We are the opposite, then. Fallout is the only one I have bothered to purchase.

We are the opposite, then. Fallout is the only one I have bothered to purchase.

It was the first of the MI series that I didn't rush out to buy the home video of when it was released. In fact, I waited almost a year to pick it up when it was on sale for Black Friday.

A nice addition to the series for sure, but kind of reminds me of Skyfall in that it seems overpraised and I didn't get quite the pure excitement I did from the previous 3, and that may well stem from McQuarrie returning as director.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Is Jeremy Renner back for 7 and 8?
    I'll be honest, I wasn't that crazy about him in MI4 (his character just whined a bit in that film) then in MI5 his character looked like a spare part and I didn't really miss him in Fallout
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think he is, no. I quite like him in it, but I guess it works without him.
    I don't think he is, no. I quite like him in it, but I guess it works without him.

Thanks mate. I like Jeremy Renner, but his character just feels a bit unnecessary, especially when Luther came back and Isla joined the team
    Just saw Jeremy Renner's Bourne movie for the first time. For what it's worth: I enjoyed it and found this 4th Bourne, The Bourne Legacy, quite superior to the fifth one, for which Matt Damon returned, Jason Bourne.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Since62 wrote: »
    Just saw Jeremy Renner's Bourne movie for the first time. For what it's worth: I enjoyed it and found this 4th Bourne, The Bourne Legacy, quite superior to the fifth one, for which Matt Damon returned, Jason Bourne.

Same here.
    Since62 wrote: »

Yep absolutely agree
  • Since62 wrote: »

That's not difficult, Damon's return in Jason Bourne is more yawn inducing than Spectre.
    I never finished LEGACY, but it’s not hard for me to imagine it being better than JASON BOURNE.

It absolutely ASTOUNDS me that both Damon and Greengrass signed off on that, when their last film was all about Bourne coming to terms with accountability, and then the 2016 film flips that by claiming Bourne’s recruitment was orchestrated by the evil government.

tenor.gif
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 669
    I never finished LEGACY, but it’s not hard for me to imagine it being better than JASON BOURNE.

It absolutely ASTOUNDS me that both Damon and Greengrass signed off on that, when their last film was all about Bourne coming to terms with accountability, and then the 2016 film flips that by claiming Bourne’s recruitment was orchestrated by the evil government.

tenor.gif

I always had the feeling that they put all artistic impulses aside for that one because they enjoyed working together and just wanted to make another Bourne movie. I think they did it purely because they had a blast making them - and hey, they could make a boatload of money at the same time. There are worse reasons to sign on to a movie, I suppose. But it's a shame they didn't use their pull to get a better script. That movie plays out like a first draft.
    4 years is near enough the turnover for this series anyway. 1996, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2015 and 2018.

Also, the original plan was for the 3rd entry to come out in 2004, 4 years after M:I 2.

I didin't know about that. I like the MI3 that we had, but an alternate version with Kenneth Branagh, Carrie-Anne Moss and Scarlett Johansson? Those three names alone, pique my interest.

I've been trying to get my hands on the script for this movie for years, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Very little is known about it except for a few things: Joe Carnahan's script was going to be mostly set in Africa, revolving around a private military led by Branagh. Apparently the middle act was set in a leper colony. Carnahan wanted the film to be a small, lower-budget "paranoia spy drama" in the vein of 70s films like Marathon Man. The Carrie-Ann Moss character was actually carried over into M:I-3 as the Kerri Russel character. David Fincher was going to direct, and he had described the script as "really interesting and extremely violent." Who knows what it might have been. Given the people involved, I imagine it would have been quite unique but perhaps very polarizing. I'd pretty much sell my soul to read Carnahan's screenplay!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

tenor.gif

I always had the feeling that they put all artistic impulses aside for that one because they enjoyed working together and just wanted to make another Bourne movie. I think they did it purely because they had a blast making them - and hey, they could make a boatload of money at the same time. There are worse reasons to sign on to a movie, I suppose. But it's a shame they didn't use their pull to get a better script. That movie plays out like a first draft.

Yes, it has no reason to exist, sadly. I love the Bourne films but they ran out of plot after the second one (I think it was amazing that the third was so good despite it having almost no plot!)- the last one was good to watch while it's on but there's nothing to it.
    I didn't care for Legacy though- just didn't like the way they dealt with his character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I've been trying to get my hands on the script for this movie for years, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Very little is known about it except for a few things: Joe Carnahan's script was going to be mostly set in Africa, revolving around a private military led by Branagh. Apparently the middle act was set in a leper colony. Carnahan wanted the film to be a small, lower-budget "paranoia spy drama" in the vein of 70s films like Marathon Man. The Carrie-Ann Moss character was actually carried over into M:I-3 as the Kerri Russel character. David Fincher was going to direct, and he had described the script as "really interesting and extremely violent." Who knows what it might have been. Given the people involved, I imagine it would have been quite unique but perhaps very polarizing. I'd pretty much sell my soul to read Carnahan's screenplay!

It's worth a listen to the Light The Fuse podcast special on the making of MI3 (one of their early episodes I think) as they visited the archives to read a lot of the material from the time including, I think, a script.
    I think from memory it's the one which opens on a plane which is crashing, which is then revealed to actually be a trick- the plane is on the ground.

It's worth a listen to the Light The Fuse podcast special on the making of MI3 (one of their early episodes I think) as they visited the archives to read a lot of the material from the time including, I think, a script.
    I think from memory it's the one which opens on a plane which is crashing, which is then revealed to actually be a trick- the plane is on the ground.

Oh, that's really cool and good to know! Thank you for that. I'll definitely check it out!

tenor.gif

I really wish the quality of the film matched with their enthusiasm. You can’t call it a paycheck film either because both came off very successful films like THE MARTIAN and CAPTAIN PHILLIPS, so it’s not like they were hurting for work. Oh well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For anyone interested, McQuarrie has posted several what if/unused set designs and stunt hints from the last few films that never made it to the finished product. Pretty intriguing, makes me wonder if any of it may make a return in one form or another (much like Stahelski does with the John Wick series).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Oh, that's really cool and good to know! Thank you for that. I'll definitely check it out!

Having had a quick listen I may have been thinking about one of their Makings Of another film: possibly Oliver Stone's MI2. I can't remember which is which! :)

Having had a quick listen I may have been thinking about one of their Makings Of another film: possibly Oliver Stone's MI2. I can't remember which is which! :)

Oliver Stone was set to direct MI2? Is that really true? Good Lord, that's a new one to me! Bahahaha, I can't even imagine that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yes, they do a whole episode on that.
    Oliver Stone? That’s a crock! Same with Fincher. Who else was slated to direct? Ingmar Bergman?
    Had Bergman directed, who'd have played the Grim Reaper ? Terrific part, you know ? Perhaps the same actor from Monty Python's the Meaning of Life ?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Bergman being linked with M:I-2 will never not elicit a chuckle from me.
    I'll say it again: There's a great opportunity for a definitive history of the MI film series in book form, from the attempted revivals for many years through to the Cruise series and each of its successive entries, with information on the various directors approached, treatments and unused scripts and so on. Laurent Bouzerau or J.W. Rinzler, who did the books on the original Star Wars trilogy as well as the Indiana Jones films would be natural choices, although there are likely others who could do the job.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2021 Posts: 7,888