Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Hayley looks great, can't wait for MI:7
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    She is a total babe. I wasn't sure how good of an actress she was until I saw her episode of Criminal: UK where she was superb. She's the real deal.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

tom-embed-13oct20.jpg
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 440
    According to this post from Simon Pegg, he is set to wrap filming his part in the 7th film at some point in May.

"I probably won’t be done shooting Mission Impossible until around May by which time the pandemic may have abated enough to allow for travel. So my question is... what is the best location in the Northern Hemisphere for late season, guaranteed snow?"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    In less obnoxious postings, I've been enjoying Joe Kraemer's score for Rogue Nation a lot lately. Underrated, I would say. I do like Lorne Balfe's stuff too but I was sad that Kraemer didn't return for another film.

Yeah. I like Kraemer's score as well and wanted his return as well. It has a mysterious feel and even makes Solomon Lane and the Syndicate more sinister. Balfe's score is really good too. Just that Kraemer's score is very thriller-like.....parts of the score might even work in a Alfred Hitchcock film.

It's very lush and atmospheric, and even the more rhythmic aspects of the score (which are often dull in many other scores in the action genre) are very cleverly done and always interesting. I love that the romantic theme for Ethan and Ilsa comes from Turandot.

Yeah. That's great too. Love that as well. The whole score is really good, and just as interesting as the film itself.

I think it might be the best score of the series, but thinking on it - they've been very lucky with the composers that they have had on these films. Not a bad outing amongst them, musically.

Not bad at all. It's that good. The franchise have luckily, had very good composers. Although, I do struggle with Danny Elfman's score for the first film. I only like his rendition of Lalo Schifrin's Mission Impossible theme. I think it was a joy to have Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. of U2 close the film with their excellent rendition of the theme, because the rest of Elfman's score wasn't that great or memorable enough.

Elfman's stuff has grown on me a lot more over time. There are portions of it that don't do much for me but there are a few cues where he absolutely knocks it out of the park.

Agreed on Clayton and Mullen Jnr's rendition of the theme - it's awesome.

Oh I've always loved the Elfman score; I think it has a style to it that few of the others have matched, although I do agree that Kraemer's is brilliant. Quite why he hasn't got more work out of it I don't know, although he seemed to hate the experience and maybe there's some behind the scenes stuff going on we don't know about. The signs seem to be that he and McQuarrie fell out, sadly. He does a lot of those Doctor Who audio plays, which I think he enjoys but I feel like big movies are missing out by not having him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    According to this post from Simon Pegg, he is set to wrap filming his part in the 7th film at some point in May.

"I probably won’t be done shooting Mission Impossible until around May by which time the pandemic may have abated enough to allow for travel. So my question is... what is the best location in the Northern Hemisphere for late season, guaranteed snow?"

Gosh May seems like a long old shoot. And also hugely optimistic for snow! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

I believe they started around June 2020, so it'll be roughly 10 months that they spent filming the next two back to back (if indeed that's what they're still doing). Crazy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,936
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I believe they started around June 2020, so it'll be roughly 10 months that they spent filming the next two back to back (if indeed that's what they're still doing). Crazy.

Ouch. That's more like 11 months, isn't it? Not including when they made their abortive first attempt at the beginning of the year!
    And then McQuarrie's got to spend however long overseeing the editing and post production... I suspect he's thinking this time there's not much doubt that these really will be his last MIs!
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 440

Ouch. That's more like 11 months, isn't it? Not including when they made their abortive first attempt at the beginning of the year!
    And then McQuarrie's got to spend however long overseeing the editing and post production... I suspect he's thinking this time there's not much doubt that these really will be his last MIs!

Given that it usually takes around 8 months to film one of these, I imagine that by May they will have finished shooting all the footage they need for MI:7 and a portion of the footage for MI:8.

Then after another filming break over the summer, they'll go back and finish filming the eighth film. That should get them on track for the dates they currently have these scheduled to open.

However, I won't be surprised if MI:7 ends up getting pushed back to December, or even 2022.

I meant to say July - I promise my math skills aren't that poor!

Though I'm still wrong because it seems that was preliminary filming that began in July, not shooting with the entire cast involved. Apparently, filming officially began in early September, when McQuarrie began to post on social media about production heating up. Still, that's a long damn time to be going at it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2021 Posts: 13,350
    The plan according to this Deadline article: https://deadline.com/2020/06/mission-impossible-7-set-to-restart-filming-september-1202949034 is 7 is filmed from September 20 - May 21. TC breaks as Top Gun is released in the Summer. I guess 8 is filmed from September 21 - May 22. It's not truly back to back.

I would not be surprised if 7 comes out Summer 22 either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's a good point, Cruise would need to have quite a bit of time out to promote Top Gun.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 17,274
    Just heard on the news that it's confirmed that the M:I production returns to Norway for the eight Mission: Impossible film.

The Norwegian Film Institute confirms that the production will recieve 68.6 millioner NOK through the incentive scheme.
    surpised we dont have a title yet for this one
    Just heard on the news that it's confirmed that the M:I production returns to Norway for the eight Mission: Impossible film.

The Norwegian Film Institute confirms that the production will recieve 68.6 millioner NOK through the incentive scheme.

I was curious when they would segue into filming the eighth installment or if they were kind of tackling both as they went.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I was curious when they would segue into filming the eighth installment or if they were kind of tackling both as they went.

I imagine they'll take a small break (2-3 months at most) and then launch back into filming MI:8.

Right now, they're filming in Dubai before heading back to the UK to shoot more studio scenes.

Me too. Like @AKillToAView writes, I imagine they will take a small break, then go back to filming the eight instalment.
  • Wait...this 11-month shoot (I realize there were some Covid breaks) hasn't ALL been for M:I-7, has it? Surely they must almost be done shooting the eighth film as well and the Norway stuff constitutes the last few weeks' worth of work?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Filming began in September. Each film with take over 7 months due to Covid. 7 is said finish early May.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Accoring to some danish newspaper it's "Scorpio" whatever that means.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Accoring to some danish newspaper it's "Scorpio" whatever that means.

Hank Scorpio is joining Mission: Impossible?!

• MI:7's costume designer estimates that it will likely wrap up shooting by early June.

jFGZVZp.png

• edited February 2021 Posts: 440
    It's looking more and more likely that this is moving back to 2022. (Though do keep in mind that this is the Sun, so take everything with a pinch of salt.)

"MISSION Impossible’s all about pulling off the unfeasible – but shooting the film during a pandemic is a challenge too far for leading man Tom Cruise and his team.

He flew the cast and crew to the Middle East for the latest run of scenes, but has been forced to end filming of the seventh instalment of the franchise after people refused to work any longer.

Production staff demanded they were allowed to head back to the UK this weekend before hotel quarantine rules come into effect on Monday.

Studio bosses have now had to charter a private jet to bring them home because they were up in arms about not being able to return to their families.

A movie insider said: “The whole production has hit yet another issue and there have been revolts among the cast and crew.

“For quite a few of them, the prospect of having to quarantine in a hotel back in the UK is a step too far and they’ve demanded to be flown home before the rules change. The studio has had to fund a jet back and the missing cast and crew will inevitably cause another delay.

“It was hoped that filming in the UAE would provide some flexibility but that changed when the UK shut its borders.

Filming is now due to start up again in the UK."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/14035030/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-filming-scrapped/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw several episodes of the original show in the 70s, and there was one episode that stuck with me. I recently found out that that was the pilot episode.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's interesting that NTTD has apparently moved up to a late September release in the UK, that would suggest to me that EON or whoever aren't tempted to wait to see if MI7 is moving to 2022, to take their November slot, quite the opposite if anything.
    They look like they want to capitalise on the vaccination program and make NTTD the first blockbuster out the gate
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    It's interesting that NTTD has apparently moved up to a late September release in the UK, that would suggest to me that EON or whoever aren't tempted to wait to see if MI7 is moving to 2022, to take their November slot, quite the opposite if anything.
    They look like they want to capitalise on the vaccination program and make NTTD the first blockbuster out the gate

hoping it works out
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 4,599
    Sorry if posted before (also references Bond)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-fallout-makes-aging-action-franchises-look-bad-1130503?fbclid=IwAR0N3FpGPC-SJcfuv7wzKBNPzO9QyxVKsukYVnMLdjzk87Yh8RkL7h6tIRc

and

"Similar to the strategy HBO Max and Warner Bros. have chosen to embrace for 2021, Paramount+ announced today that its two biggest films of the year, Mission: Impossible 7 and A Quiet Place Part 2, will be available to stream 45 days after their theatrical release dates."

https://www.vulture.com/2021/02/mission-impossible-7-a-quiet-place-2-streaming-paramount-plus.html
    mission-impossible-7-first-look-tom-cruise.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that an official photo?