Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wowwww. I wonder if he'll be fleeing something (a helicopter or aircraft perhaps?) or chasing after something.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Will he jump off and deploy a parachute with the American flag? ;)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    Presumably Tom is going to ride his motorbike off the end of this... :-O

4t84xy9bsbk51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=df58016c257bb8b61a56203d1d07f352015d8e8a

Insanely impressive as ever.

4t84xy9bsbk51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=df58016c257bb8b61a56203d1d07f352015d8e8a

That's Helsetkopen, located in a village called Hellesylt. Here's a view from the top:

And here are a couple of articles from NRK covering the activity on Helsetkopen:

https://www.nrk.no/mr/her-gjer-dei-det-klart-for-tom-cruise-og-_mission_-impossible_-1.15127437
    https://www.nrk.no/mr/feiret-50-arslag-pa-sunnmore-da-tom-cruise-dukket-opp-1.15139395
    @Torgeirtrap, you're familiar with the locale?
    GadgetMan wrote: »

No, unfortunately. It's a 7-8 hour drive from where I live.

Oh, that's some distance.

Yes, you'll need to make a roadtrip out of it when driving that far. Interestingly, the Black Widow production shot a scene only an hours drive away from Hellesylt, and the Atlantic Road is only three hours further north.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yes, you'll need to make a roadtrip out of it when driving that far. Interestingly, the Black Widow production shot a scene only an hours drive away from Hellesylt, and the Atlantic Road is only three hours further north.

Yeah. it obviously has to be a road trip, loaded with basic human wants.

Wow! That's cool.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,241

Wow! That's cool.

Yes!

It's the same production service company that has helped all three productions. Still, it's funny all three Hollywood productions ended up shooting scenes in the same county!

Wow! That's cool.

Yes!

It's the same production service company that has helped all three productions. Still, it's funny all three Hollywood productions ended up shooting scenes in the same county!

Indeed. It seems to be an idyllic location for Hollywood, at the moment.

Wow! That's cool.

Yes!

Indeed. It seems to be an idyllic location for Hollywood, at the moment.

The changes to the incentive schemes has no doubt been a factor. You would rarely see productions of that size shoot scenes in the country due to the expenses it involved. Now with a new incentive scheme in place, productions are more likely to see the country as a potential filming location. And with companies like Truenorth delivering production services, it makes everything much easier.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That's Helsetkopen, located in a village called Hellesylt. Here's a view from the top:

And here are a couple of articles from NRK covering the activity on Helsetkopen:

https://www.nrk.no/mr/her-gjer-dei-det-klart-for-tom-cruise-og-_mission_-impossible_-1.15127437
    https://www.nrk.no/mr/feiret-50-arslag-pa-sunnmore-da-tom-cruise-dukket-opp-1.15139395

That's high! Oh, Tom...

Wow! That's cool.

Yes!

Well it's a very beautiful country!

I think it's kind of odd that Bond has avoided Scandinavia this long: I think it's perfect Bond country. This is the first time, isn't it? Plus back in the cold war Finland would've been fertile for stories too.

That's high! Oh, Tom...

He'll love a jump down there, won't he? :))

Wow! That's cool.

Yes!

Well it's a very beautiful country!

I think it's kind of odd that Bond has avoided Scandinavia this long: I think it's perfect Bond country. This is the first time, isn't it? Plus back in the cold war Finland would've been fertile for stories too.

It's the first time with setting in Scandinavia, but not the first time of filming here. Scandinavia in general has a lot to offer I think: you could easily imagine Bond running around the streets of Stockholm or Copenhagen. But I think it often comes down to expenses. If it's cheaper to film elsewhere, and the plot doesn't require a production to film there, they are probably more likely to look at other countries instead. I think there are many reasons besides the scenery, that you see Bond so often in Italy for example (not that it's a bad thing, of course!).

Finland too (as you mention) can be an interesting Bond location. Billion Dollar Brain (produced by Harry Saltzman) made good use of Helsinki and other locations, and I imagine a Bond production could have done the same.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    When have they shot there? One of the snow sequences?

I agree there are reasons beyond the scenery: I think it has an ambience and style that nowhere else has, but is still consistent with the Euro thriller feel that I think Bond works with best (give me Daylights over Licence To Kill any day).
    I really loved the feel of the Dragon Tattoo movie that Craig made, for example: I could have watched many more of those and I thought he suited it very well. Nyqvist was awesome too of course.

I believe they shot some exterior shots for DAD on Svalbard, and this exterior shot in YOLT was filmed at Mågerø:

i189889.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For some reason, that shot always stands out to me whenever I watch YOLT.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I believe they shot some exterior shots for DAD on Svalbard, and this exterior shot in YOLT was filmed at Mågerø:

i189889.jpg

Aha thank you. Surprised about DAD considering they were in Iceland.

See, that YOLT shot is juts cool, isn't it? Imagine a whole Bond film set there.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    The changes to the incentive schemes has no doubt been a factor. You would rarely see productions of that size shoot scenes in the country due to the expenses it involved. Now with a new incentive scheme in place, productions are more likely to see the country as a potential filming location. And with companies like Truenorth delivering production services, it makes everything much easier.

Yeah, this explains the high influx of Hollywood business going on there at the moment.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's a very memorable image, for sure.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The location shots is definitely one of YOLT's strengths!

i189889.jpg

Aha thank you. Surprised about DAD considering they were in Iceland.

See, that YOLT shot is juts cool, isn't it? Imagine a whole Bond film set there.

I've never read the reasons why they decided to shoot additional footage on Svalbard, but there's some really nice scenery there.

It's definitely those weird looking radar station domes that makes it stand out. They were a nice fit for a 60's spy film. Roald Dahl used to go the area on vacation as a kid (according to this article), so that might be the reason why this shot was included.

Yeah, this explains the high influx of Hollywood business going on there at the moment.

Yes. When it's easier to shoot on location from a financial point of view, then it's more likely to happen, I guess.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes. When it's easier to shoot on location from a financial point of view, then it's more likely to happen, I guess.

Hence so many recent MI films being made in the UK! :)
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 440

Don't forget about the first one as well! Its 1995 shoot at Pinewood was what forced EON to create Leavesden Studios so that Goldeneye had a place to shoot.

Good news for the MI team though, since Leavesden has been where they've shot every MI movie from Rogue Nation onwards.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And here's a random fact I learned this week: Tom Cruise's daughter lives in Croydon (?!).
    And here's a random fact I learned this week: Tom Cruise's daughter lives in Croydon (?!).

It sort of makes sense in a way, she would've spent at least a couple of years growing up in London while her mother and father were filming Eyes Wide Shut.

I mean, I could never condone living in Croydon but to each their own I suppose.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah that's true (on both counts! :) )

Black Widow too, if I'm not mistaken?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh I think quite a few Marvel films have, haven't they? Guardians of the Galaxy both were, Captain America's NYC scenes were shot in Manchester/Liverpool, the Avengers' HQ was in Norwich in one movie etc.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Matt Reeves' The Batman is also being predominantly shot in the UK, with Liverpool and Glasgow locations doubling for his version of Gotham.
    American studios filming US-set movies in the UK isn't a new phenomenon, just look at
    1956's Moby Dick or 1962's Lolita.

However, it really seemed to explode in the 70s and 80s with mega-blockbusters like Star Wars, Superman, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Batman, Indiana Jones, and many more all decamping to the UK and since then the amount has only increased.

Rates for UK films and tv shows are so low compared to the Hollywood minimums that studios can essentially pick and choose the best talent working here and unlike many other countries, the UK has a large enough movie/tv industry to support this.

Not to mention the fact that the UK also has the biggest collection of large soundstages in the world and plenty of empty factories and air hangars that can be converted into shooting facilities.

Plus, cities like London and Manchester are ethnically diverse enough that one can pretty much find actors from any nationality, race etc. Most importantly, a lot of American expats.