Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

lol. This has to be one of the craziest blind items I've ever read. Take it with about 3 trillion grains of salt, of course.

"After two massive bombs this past year, this studio is really desperate for a hit. They have a franchise that is solid gold but has run into big issues while filming in Europe. They got shut down in Rome and had to rebuild part of Rome on a soundstage which was ridiculously expensive. The head of the studio's European division hired two "producers," one of whom is the mistress of the President of a country. Yes, he calls her his stylist, but please. The studio and the producers want to blow up a bridge. These two "producers" with the connection to the President of the country are supposed to help. The bridge is 100 years old. The town where it is located told the studio to go to hell and gave it a higher conservation level just to make sure it couldn't be blown up. So, the studio threw even more money at the federal government and President of the country. They want to blow up the bridge. The President gave permission to blow up the bridge and work has begun to blow it up. The head prosecutor in the country is investigating the bribes and corruption but will probably be bribed themselves. The studio also paid to make sure no negative stories about the bridge or even stories about the bridge show up in the media. When the A list mostly movie actor makes his rounds of the the talk show circuit to promote it, do you think anyone will ask him about it? Nope. They are all cowards."

Paramount/Mission Impossible/Poland/Tom Cruise

https://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2020/07/blind-items-revealed-22.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not really sure how to react to that! Sounds like a slightly mad stream of consciousness and, as you say, I don't see much reason to believe a word of it. Thanks for posting it though: a fun read! :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Interesting that they're returning to Norway to film, I wonder if they simply enjoyed the beauty of the country so much and realized it had much more potential for a return or if they'll try to start the film where Fallout left off or something (or perhaps we'll get some flashback sequences of some type. I know McQuarrie has mentioned discussing a return of some degree with Cavill and Baldwin in the past).
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    A comeback of Baldwin would be great! Like him so much in MI:. I don't care much about Cavill, but the Kashmir showdown and the Paris fight were outstandingly scripted and performed as well.
    Still can't get over him "reloading his arms" during that bathroom right. It's the definition of cool for me.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    True, extremely cool!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Interesting that they're returning to Norway to film, I wonder if they simply enjoyed the beauty of the country so much and realized it had much more potential for a return or if they'll try to start the film where Fallout left off or something (or perhaps we'll get some flashback sequences of some type. I know McQuarrie has mentioned discussing a return of some degree with Cavill and Baldwin in the past).

Well McQuarrie always uses the location to determine what happens there, so that suggests they have a specific location in mind for something. I guess it might have something to do with that sort of parachute sports that Cruise was seen practising..?
    mtm wrote: »

Well McQuarrie always uses the location to determine what happens there, so that suggests they have a specific location in mind for something. I guess it might have something to do with that sort of parachute sports that Cruise was seen practising..?

I might remember wrong, but I think McQuarrie visited several Norwegian locations before filming Fallout. Could be that they just decided on going back to a location they liked back then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I might remember wrong, but I think McQuarrie visited several Norwegian locations before filming Fallout. Could be that they just decided on going back to a location they liked back then.

Yes that's what he does: he literally doesn't have a story and just looks for locations and lets the scenes grow from them. Seems bonkers to me but it seems to work! :)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,272

Yes that's what he does: he literally doesn't have a story and just looks for locations and lets the scenes grow from them. Seems bonkers to me but it seems to work! :)

Had to google to check. Here's an article covering McQuarrie's (then) recent visit to Norway, with Rob Hardy. Maybe they have one of these locations in mind. The fact that they're looking to shoot in Western Norway fits well with the locations they visited back then.

______

Re. using locations and letting the scenes grow from them; I think that's an interesting approach really! It helps to have something visual to work with. :-)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    McQuarrie is certainly not the only writer/director that uses that approach, but it just seems crazier in his case because of the sheer scale of these films and the pressure that comes with shooting them because of the stuntwork.
    Speaking of Norway, there are still several cut shots from Fallout that we never got to see - the bloody barbed wire, the bunker, the team arriving at that camp, the huge helicopter-meets-truck shot in some of the trailers. Would love to see more of that.
    Speaking of Norway, there are still several cut shots from Fallout that we never got to see - the bloody barbed wire, the bunker, the team arriving at that camp, the huge helicopter-meets-truck shot in some of the trailers. Would love to see more of that.

Reportedly, there's a whole 15-minute segment from Rogue Nation where Tom Cruise got captured by Alec Baldwin and escaped from a CIA building that had to be entirely dropped due to the on-the-fly rewrites.
    mission-impossible-rogue-nation-hi-res-cruise-renner.jpg
    Damn, I don't think I ever knew that, or at least I've forgotten about it in the years that have passed. What a shame.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,271
    Thandie Newton Recalls the "Nightmare" of Working with a "Really Stressed" Tom Cruise
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/amp33247187/thandie-newton-tom-cruise-mission-impossible-2/
    I am a perfectionist and can be a control freak, I understand Tom wanting to do as much as he can himself, because he knows he can do it better than anyone else.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Reportedly, there's a whole 15-minute segment from Rogue Nation where Tom Cruise got captured by Alec Baldwin and escaped from a CIA building that had to be entirely dropped due to the on-the-fly rewrites.
    mission-impossible-rogue-nation-hi-res-cruise-renner.jpg

That’s very interesting!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 4,599
    There is a private Facebook group for screen writers called The Inside Pitch where Chris McQ recently did a two hour live interview. It's really, really good. Really good! if you can ask the admin nicely to join the group.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wow that sounds amazing, thanks. I do recommend the Light The Fuse podcast where they get to speak to an impressive range of folk involved with the movies, including McQ and Brad Bird, plus composers and editors. It's interesting stuff.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 4,599
    I won't go into detail but a couple of things come accross. He is very humble and just wants to make great mainstream movies that lots of people will love. "Which movie won Oscar five years ago? versus Which movie makes you cry every time you see it?" He's after the latter. IMHO he is a refreshing alternative when many have a political/personal agenda or story to tell. Thank goodness we still have directors like him.

Now available on Youtube.....enjoy....

As mentioned in this article by VG, Tom Cruise had a conversation with the Norwegian minister of culture, Abid Raja earlier today. Cruise hopes they will be able to shoot scenes for the upcoming film – or parts of the next two films, as the article says, there in August. It's uncertain if that will be possible, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    patb wrote: »
    I won't go into detail but a couple of things come accross. He is very humble and just wants to make great mainstream movies that lots of people will love. "Which movie won Oscar five years ago? versus Which movie makes you cry every time you see it?" He's after the latter. IMHO he is a refreshing alternative when many have a political/personal agenda or story to tell. Thank goodness we still have directors like him.

Now available on Youtube.....enjoy....

This is great, thank you.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,438
    What he said in the 26-27 minutes and conclussion made me curious or he was disapointed in not working as directer on the 4th movie. Sound like he give mixed feelings or he whant to be on set or not. It also at P&W in another more positive light, who confirmd in 2002 that always walk after the finish the script. Atleast great he said there always can ask writer back. Inspecialy with in mind what he said about editing.

McQ of course have luxery to be only writer on those movies and my opnion is if you writing a script you must have directer/studio who agree about some of you wishes. Tom Cruise, Paramount and McQ sound like a good team like MGM, Eon and P&W / Sam Mendes and John Logan.
    I wonder if the McQ process of making action movies could work with Bond? a series of action sequences with zero exposition blended together with later shot internals. It's an intriguing idea.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Wasn't McQuarrie rumored for B25?
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Wasn't McQuarrie rumored for B25?

and boy was I pissed that he didnt get it but if Cary can deliver I hope he can provide more bond films
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Not Mission Impossible related:

Universal Pictures is in negotiations to land Tom Cruise’s new film, a project set to make history as the first narrative feature shot in space.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-circling-tom-cruise-doug-liman-film-to-shoot-in-space-exclusive-1234713658/
    MI:7 to film in Norway in August.
    - Film productions that receive grants from the Norwegian Film Institute through the incentive scheme can now carry out film shoots in Norway without quarantine, says Minister of Culture Abid Raja (V) to VG.

Raja states that Tom Cruise (misquote from VG presumably; the production it should say) will spend around 200 million kroner in Norway on "Mission Impossible 7". Through the incentive scheme, the production receives 50 million kroner.*

(*NTTD received 47 million kroner through the same incentive scheme)

https://www.vg.no/rampelys/film/i/8mrEO2/tom-cruise-faar-unntak-fra-regjeringen-kommer-til-norge

It also looks like they will be shooting scenes in Møre and Romsdal, the same county where they shot the Atlantic Road sequence for NTTD.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    - Film productions that receive grants from the Norwegian Film Institute through the incentive scheme can now carry out film shoots in Norway without quarantine, says Minister of Culture Abid Raja (V) to VG.

Raja states that Tom Cruise (misquote from VG presumably; the production it should say) will spend around 200 million kroner in Norway on "Mission Impossible 7". Through the incentive scheme, the production receives 50 million kroner.*

https://www.vg.no/rampelys/film/i/8mrEO2/tom-cruise-faar-unntak-fra-regjeringen-kommer-til-norge

It also looks like they will be shooting scenes in Møre and Romsdal, the same county where they shot the Atlantic Road sequence for NTTD.

Tom Cruise is Abid Raja s god. Interesting.

Tom Cruise is Abid Raja s god. Interesting.

:))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Mission Impossible: Fallout, the franchise's latest installment, came out 2 years ago today.

tom-cruise-mission-impossible.jpg