Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I have seen many opera scenes but never like RN, it was attention to details so delicately crafted.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have seen many opera scenes but never like RN, it was attention to details so delicately crafted.
    Absolutely. Tremendous finesse and as you said, attention to details, which makes for a wonderful & memorable sequence with many moving parts.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,077
    On its 42nd day of release MI: Fallout moves back into second place at the American Boxoffice.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,454
    I'm hoping it has a nice, successful weekend again - $80 million off from my estimate of $750, would love for it to reach such a milestone (maybe that'll get them back to work on the series sooner rather than later; wouldn't mind Cruise jumping right back to this after Top Gun 2, since that'll be in production for quite some time).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm hoping it has a nice, successful weekend again - $80 million off from my estimate of $750, would love for it to reach such a milestone (maybe that'll get them back to work on the series sooner rather than later; wouldn't mind Cruise jumping right back to this after Top Gun 2, since that'll be in production for quite some time).

It has fallen over 70% in its second Friday in China unfortunately. This is somewhat to be expected, as films aren't usually as leggy over there. But it should sail past 700 million soon, and that's enough for the biggest Tom Cruise movie ever! (Unadjusted for inflation)

I think it's a safe bet they will make MI:7 for 2021, be it Summer or Winter.
    Ahh shame; didn't know that regarding how "leggy" films are in China's opening weeks, as I was really holding out hope for that to push it to $750 million. No matter, all I wanted was for it to be a massive success that would warrant another installment and we got that, so I'm more than happy.
    Yes, apparently I don't if this is true but has been reported, that Rogue Nation made about 110 million profit when all is said and done. Rogue Nation had a budget of 150 million and made 682 million. So, if we make a comparison, Fallot had a budget around 180 million and should at least make it to 720 million. I think it's safe to say it will be a big hit for Paramount, and they will want a follow up.

It's worth noting that Fallout had many things working against it compared with Rogue Nation, one being significantly stiffer competition in North America, by both The Meg and Crazy Rich Asians which both turned out to be sleeper hits. The fact that Fallout outgrossed RN is no small feat, and it just goes to show that six installmets in, the franchise has real positive momentum going for it.
    MI Fallout shoots up to 726 million worldwide! WOW. :D

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=missionimpossible6.htm
    Well there it is: unadjusted, it's now the highest grossing installment in the series. Well deserved; I could use another rewatch of it, but I think I'm fairly confident in saying it's my favorite installment in the series now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If it makes it to $750 million, you can bet it's going to get a very immediate sequel.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Well there it is: unadjusted, it's now the highest grossing installment in the series. Well deserved; I could use another rewatch of it, but I think I'm fairly confident in saying it's my favorite installment in the series now.

And the biggest film of Tom Cruise career (unadjusted). :D

Should definitely pass the 750 mark now!
    That's been my hope: hit a grand milestone like that and maybe Cruise will want to do a sequel after the new Top Gun versus waiting three or so years to film it.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Yes we might get mi7 sooner but in 2021 I think when franchise will celebrate it's 25 years, tom cruise may be setting his eyes for his first billion $ movie with his next installment.
    Is Top Gun: Maverick filming? Or is it just in pre-production?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Top gun date has been pushed to 2020 but filming has started.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Safest bet would be a (summer) 2021 release for Mission Impossible 7. Cruise will be busy making Top Gun: Maverick for the next few months, so he can work for 6+ months on M:I:7 in 2020. I'm sure he can even find some space for the 'smaller-scale' Edge of Tomorrow 2 in-between Top Gun 2 and M:I:7.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Congratulations to everyone concerned with this splendid effort. They had a lot of pressure on them after the critical success of the last one, and they knocked it out of the park.

Deadpool 2 is in its sight at global #5 for the year and it will be taken out next week imho.

Fallout didn't gross as much as was expected this weekend stateside (came in about 10% below estimates) and I expect the gross to decline precipitously from here on in because it's lost some big theatres, but perhaps it can hit just about $220M once it's all said and done, which would be a great achievement. War of the Worlds will still remain Cruise's top grosser stateside.

I can't wait to see it again.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone concerned with this splendid effort. They had a lot of pressure on them after the critical success of the last one, and they knocked it out of the park.

Deadpool 2 is in its sight at global #5 for the year and it will be taken out next week imho.

Fallout didn't gross as much as was expected this weekend stateside (came in about 10% below estimates) and I expect the gross to decline precipitously from here on in because it's lost some big theatres, but perhaps it can hit just about $220M once it's all said and done, which would be a great achievement. War of the Worlds will still remain Cruise's top grosser stateside.

Yes, competition has been unusually tough stateside for August/September. Who saw The Meg or Crazy Rich Asians becoming such hits? I think if had not been for that MI Fallout could have easily hit 250 in America. Bodes well for a potential sequel.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes, competition has been unusually tough stateside for August/September. Who saw The Meg or Crazy Rich Asians becoming such hits? I think if had not been for that MI Fallout could have easily hit 250 in America. Bodes well for a potential sequel.
    True. It's at $138M in China at present which exceeds RN's total there. It might actually close higher than $150M eventually, which is higher than my initial expectations.

The great thing about this series stateside imho is its opening weekend 'multiplier'. These films have legs. They open smaller but keep holding gross over multiple weeks, which is in contrast to most tentpole franchises these days which really count on the opening blast. These play at the box office like how films used to in the old days, and coincidentally, they do stunts like the old days too.
    Maybe Tom should buy the Bond franchise and seriously churn out some Bond films as regular as he does!! Lol!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    MI Fallout shoots up to 726 million worldwide! WOW. :D

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=missionimpossible6.htm

Bravo.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

With its deft balancing of action and drama, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Went to see Mission Impossible: Fallout for the 3rd and final time last night, before the film gets removed from my local cinema's schedule (hopefully the Blu Ray release is not too far away). Still a total blast, and the film has a very high rewatchability factor. Bring on M:I:7 !
    Went to see Mission Impossible: Fallout for the 3rd and final time last night, before the film gets removed from my local cinema's schedule (hopefully the Blu Ray release is not too far away). Still a total blast, and the film has a very high rewatchability factor. Bring on M:I:7 !

Glad you're padding those box office results! I'm guessing two, two and a half months max until it hits blu-ray/4K, where I'll inevitably destroy my copy by rewatching it too much.
    Fallout crosses the big 750M mark, with 760M Globally!
    Thanks for being the bearer of the good news. Now, my OCD can rest. :))
    Extremely impressive. I must admit this is certainly higher than I anticipated. @Creasy47 called it. Congratulations to everyone yet again on a well deserved result. Bravo!
    Yeah, great win for team MI!

Meanwhile White Boy Rick flops with 8.8 million. Does that rule out Demange for Bond 25 altogether?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Much as i enjoyed MI: Fallout i would have to disagree on the rewatchability of it. Or any MI film for that matter (excluding perhaps the original)

The MI films are primarily action films and their main draw is the amazing sequences they continue to come up with. But that's it. There is little to no characterization and the dialogue is mostly exposition to get us from one sequence to the next. The characters don't talk to each other, they talk AT each other with dialogue simply there to further the plot.

Which is why the Bond films will always have a much higher rewatch factor.

• peterpeter Toronto

Much as i enjoyed MI: Fallout i would have to disagree on the rewatchability of it. Or any MI film for that matter (excluding perhaps the original)

The MI films are primarily action films and their main draw is the amazing sequences they continue to come up with. But that's it. There is little to no characterization and the dialogue is mostly exposition to get us from one sequence to the next. The characters don't talk to each other, they talk AT each other with dialogue simply there to further the plot.

Which is why the Bond films will always have a much higher rewatch factor.

Agreed-- this is a one and done kind of series for me. Watch once. Enjoy it like a boozie night out, and forget almost everything about it by the next morning.

The stunts are damn fine, and wonderfully executed. Like a fun roller-coaster. Doesn't go beyond that for me.
    I'm late. Didn't see Fallout until 2 weeks ago and it meant plowing through the 300+ posts to see what others thought. So I was avoiding spoilers for nearly 5-6 weeks, which wasn't easy, but made it worth the wait.

I liked it a lot. Not quite as much as GP and RN, but a lot. When this is one of the only series I will go to a cinema for that says a lot and makes it worth the $12 I plunked down for it.

Like the Bond gunbarrel, I get a rush in hearing the MI theme and the fuse being lit with scenes of what's to come, and get a goofy grin when Cruise and company pull off one of those stunts. It's just a feeling that doesn't come around often, especially in the CGI era and given how the recent Bond films have turned out an action fix.

I do agree with others it's fine that Fallout went a little more dramatic and less humorous, although I thought that makes those films a little more accessible. I've read numerous criticisms about the stunts having been done before in Bond and other things. Hey, newsflash: the Bonds have been redoing their own stunts for years. Films like TSWLM and FYEO are kind of greatest hits packages of previous Bonds.

If a series can do similar takes on those and actually make them feel fresh, then bravo. Personally, I never thought oh, Bond already did that, once.

I do have some criticisms of my own:
    Yet another traitor in the organization. Yawn

Yet another director played by a noted actor is out to quash the IMF and its activities and later realizes its value. Holy Afterschool Special.

Ilsa's story is pretty much the same as before. Why repeat it? I was under the impression she was more or less invited to join the IMF after RN. I thought that was a messy part of the story and found her a lot less interesting this time out.

There were points when I got an AVTAK vibe as far as the team itself feeling old. Sure Cruise still makes Moore look positively geriatric in comparison, but along with Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg they seemed long in the tooth. One of the standout aspects of MI:III, which takes a lot of flack on this board, is the fresh feel of younger team members Maggie Q and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, or Renner and Paula Patton in GP. Renner in particular was missed, but given Cavill was the younger member, at least for a while, it made up for it somewhat.

Liked the motorcycle chase, but it comes on the heels of an equally impressive such chase in RN.

But those are pretty minor when you consider the overall good time this was. Now I can't wait to watch it again on video to get a second perspective. Besides, this thread gives me a lot more enjoyment than Bond 25 speculation.