Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

I finally got to see this.

McQuarrie did a terrific job, it's immensely entertaining and very fun. Cruise is fantastic and the action sequences are all fantastic and brilliantly staged.

However, there is no denying that the script is a hack job. The plot is overly convoluted and the dialogue can be hokey. It's also a little baggy and over-long.

The thing I find most amusing from the fans is how people seem to think that Bond should revert to the model adopted in Fallout. However, Fallout is basically a MI's attempt to make a Daniel Craig/Bond film.

You have your tortured spy dealing with personal demons. You have the same humourless and dry approach. You have a very 'personal' dimension to the character's motivations. Also, the film is visually very sterile and crisp (which I love) but surely the same people who complained that the Mexico sequences in SP were not colourful enough were surly disappointed by Fallout's more muted palette.

It reminded me a lot of SF and SP.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

McQuarrie did a terrific job, it's immensely entertaining and very fun. Cruise is fantastic and the action sequences are all fantastic and brilliantly staged.
    Agreed.
    However, there is no denying that the script is a hack job. The plot is overly convoluted and the dialogue can be hokey. It's also a little baggy and over-long.
    This is probably true.
    The thing I find most amusing from the fans is how people seem to think that Bond should revert to the model adopted in Fallout. However, Fallout is basically a MI's attempt to make a Daniel Craig/Bond film.

You have your tortured spy dealing with personal demons. You have the same humourless and dry approach. You have a very 'personal' dimension to the character's motivations. Also, the film is visually very sterile and crisp (which I love) but surely the same people who complained that the Mexico sequences in SP were not colourful enough were surly disappointed by Fallout's more muted palette.

I don't agree here. I don't think fans are calling for Bond to emulate MI. That's not the argument or the point. MI: Fallout is an Mi film through and through. The series DNA seeps through it. This is a 'team' effort with audacious death defying stuntwork, amazing pace, and lots of twists and turns. That's been the franchise's M.O. since inception in 1996. Furthermore, I don't think it's made in the style of a Daniel Craig film. On the contrary actually. I'd say MI predates the Craig era style. They are the ones who went to an auteur (in De Palma and then Woo) first. They are the ones who screwed with the canon (Phelps predates Brofeld). They are the ones who dealt with character motivations and the personal dimension (all the way back with Ethan's conflicted feelings for Claire in the original and more recently with his attempts to combine married life to Julia with work in MI:3). Even plot elements in the famed SF (the NOC list) were similar to the original MI.

Yes, there are scenes in this film which evoke SP (the helicopter sequence in particular), but they also borrow from many other films as well.

Regarding the palette, I think McQuarrie stated that he wanted a different feel to this film and intentionally went for a colder aesthetic, in contrast to the sunnier disposition of MI: RN. Moreover, London and Paris can get washed out at times in reality, so the approach isn't so far fetched.

I think what fans are really calling for (or at least what this fan is calling for) from Bond is a thrilling final product which has the sort of pace, suspense, twists, acting, score and audacious daring which we saw in this last MI offering. In other words, the sort of product that Bond used to deliver.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    It's amusing to see some comments comparing Fallout to the last two Bond films. Other people were mentioning that the Bond films should be more like Mission Impossible!

;)

I agree about the "team" element in MI. Cruise (Hunt) is the star but he feels part of a team. I've never felt that with a Bond film. Bond is usually out there on his own. Q can pop up to help him but you always get the feeling Bond is relying on his skills rather than others around him. Bond is a loner hero whereas Hunt is team player. I think the 'loner' aspect of Bond make him a more romantic and mysterious character.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,028
    bondjames wrote: »

Agreed.
    This is probably true.

I don't agree here. I don't think fans are calling for Bond to emulate MI. That's not the argument or the point. MI: Fallout is an Mi film through and through. The series DNA seeps through it. This is a 'team' effort with audacious death defying stuntwork, amazing pace, and lots of twists and turns. That's been the franchise's M.O. since inception in 1996. Furthermore, I don't think it's made in the style of a Daniel Craig film. On the contrary actually. I'd say MI predates the Craig era style. They are the ones who went to an auteur (in De Palma and then Woo) first. They are the ones who screwed with the canon (Phelps predates Brofeld). They are the ones who dealt with character motivations and the personal dimension (all the way back with Ethan's conflicted feelings for Claire in the original and more recently with his attempts to combine married life to Julia with work in MI:3). Even plot elements in the famed SF (the NOC list) were similar to the original MI.

Yes, there are scenes in this film which evoke SP (the helicopter sequence in particular), but they also borrow from many other films as well.

Regarding the palette, I think McQuarrie stated that he wanted a different feel to this film and intentionally went for a colder aesthetic, in contrast to the sunnier disposition of MI: RN. Moreover, London and Paris can get washed out at times in reality, so the approach isn't so far fetched.

I think what fans are really calling for (or at least what this fan is calling for) from Bond is a thrilling final product which has the sort of pace, suspense, twists, acting, score and audacious daring which we saw in this last MI offering. In other words, the sort of product that Bond used to deliver.

This is bang on. Though I must admit to having a problem with neither the plot or the dialogue. However, I did see it three times. It's certainly not a hack-job, however. The film moves like a freight train to smooth out any problems it has. There were a couple of moments where Cruise put on a weird accent while pretending to be John Lark that threw me a bit, though.

The big difference between MI and a Craig film, apart from the obvious, is that the focus is not so much on Hunt himself but the effect that his work has on people around him - it's been the predominant theme of the last couple of films, and MI3.

This is contrast to Craig, whose era has been all about him directly - his personal demons, his childhood, his past. There is certain overlaps of course, but for the most part the approaches to these motifs are quite different and one unfortunately certainly comes across more hokey than the other. I wish Spectre tied the Craig films together as well as McQuarrie connected the previous Mission: Impossible flicks with one another.

I wouldn't want a Bond in the style of MI, but it'd be with a great sense of ignorance to say that Bond was hitting its current targets as well as MI is hitting theirs. They have the formula nailed now - the more personal stuff doesn't get in the way of the cracking action sequences.

As for the palette, the difference is simple - the muted colours work in the locations that MI is set in. Like SP, the same style wouldn't work in Mexico or Morrocco.

edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

Agreed.
    This is probably true.

This is bang on. Though I must admit to having a problem with neither the plot or the dialogue. Though I did see it three times. It's certainly not a hack-job, however. The film moves like a freight train to smooth out any problems it has. There were a couple of moments where Cruise put on a weird accent while pretending to be John Lark that threw me a bit, though.

The big difference between MI and a Craig film, apart from the obvious, is that the focus is not so much on Hunt himself but the effect that his work has on people around him - it's been the predominant theme of the last couple of films, and MI3.

This is contrast to Craig, whose era has been all about him directly - his personal demons, his childhood, his past. There is certain overlaps of course, but for the most part the approaches to these motifs are quite different and one unfortunately certainly comes across more hokey than the other. I wish Spectre tied the Craig films together as well as McQuarrie connected the previous Mission: Impossible flicks with one another.

I wouldn't want a Bond in the style of MI, but it'd be with a great sense of ignorance to say that Bond was hitting its current targets as well as MI is hitting theirs. They have the formula nailed now - the more personal stuff doesn't get in the way of the cracking action sequences.

As for the palette, the difference is simple - the muted colours work in the locations that MI is set in. Like SP, the same style wouldn't work in Mexico or Morrocco.
    You make a really good point about the impact Hunt has on others, as opposed to himself.

The other thing I like about what McQuarrie did in this last one is to hammer home Ethan's values - always looking out for the little guy (the individual), no matter what the cost. It was there in the earlier films of course, but McQuarrie highlighted it, most notably with that policewoman scene in this latest film. Now that he has, that character trait is all the more noticeable to me in the earlier films (insisting that the team wait for Bogdan in GP and dropping everything to rescue Lindsay in 3 etc. etc.).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Bond fans are fickle.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Agreed.
    This is probably true.

Yep! Nailed it. Well said. Bond films latelyvjust haven't been entertaining; nowhere near as entertaining as they're supposed to be and Fallout is oozing with it. This isn't about Cruise doing his own stunts, that's beyond fantastic and I don't need any Bond actor to be doing his own crazy stunts; I want Bond to use stuntman when needed, cgi when needed and in the end for everything to come together in one exciting, visceral, engaging and highly entertaining package.
  • I’m still recovering from the excitement that was M:I-FALLOUT (which I just saw, I know I’m late to the party). One of the most incredible things I’ve seen on the big screen I literally have lost all hope that modern-day Bond can compete with this new and improved franchise. I remember when I saw GHOST PROTOCOL and loved it I thought it was just a fluke (I wasn’t exactly enamored with the previous entries) and didn’t think ROGUE NATION would top it when it came out but lo and behold it did. Now FALLOUT managed to top ROGUE NATION. This is literally the only series where every new film at this point is truly “the best one yet” and it’s not merely a marketing gimmick. Like remember when QOS was the best one yet? When DAF was the best one yet? They always do this with every new Bond movie but of course we know that’s not true. With the M:I series it actually is 100% true! Furthermore the M:I series is actually lifting scenes straight out of Bond movies (Benji’s remote controlled BMW via cellphone) while the Bond producers are afraid to use this stuff in their own movies. No they’d rather explore Bond’s psyche. Meanwhile M:I is running circles around them. They have so many exhilarating scenes in their film that they actually leave top-notch action scenes on the cutting room floor (like Ethan in a helicopter vs the truck) that a Bond film would only be so lucky to have as a highlight in its film. That’s how skilled in the action department the M:I crew is. The action in the current Bond films is lethargic by comparison. I wouldn’t even mind it so much if they at least brought back that classy sophisticated Bond vibe of the 60s and 70s (Connery and Moore) but they can’t even do that. So it becomes really hard to get excited for a new Bond film, especially in light of the latest developments. Though Boyle leaving might actually be a blessing in disguise. If there’s one thing I abhor, especially in a Bond film, it’s political correctness. The whole world is infected with this disease right now.
    Maybe I'm jaded, but FALLOUT didn't wow me like it seems to have for many here. Comparable to Bond, I'd rank it along with some of the John Glen films which were middling but still fun to watch. The 1996 film and GHOST PROTOCOL are still the franchise bests and on par with the best of Bond I think. I especially wish we had more subversive films like the De Palma film. I'd even settle for the John Woo flick just for pure entertainment silliness.

But it's at least better than that awful Abrams film, aka MARRIAGE: IMPOSSIBLE.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. Mission Impossible
    3. Fallout
    4. Ghost protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. MI:2
  • Maybe I'm jaded, but FALLOUT didn't wow me like it seems to have for many here. Comparable to Bond, I'd rank it along with some of the John Glen films which were middling but still fun to watch. The 1996 film and GHOST PROTOCOL are still the franchise bests and on par with the best of Bond I think. I especially wish we had more subversive films like the De Palma film. I'd even settle for the John Woo flick just for pure entertainment silliness.

I’m curious why you prefer John Woo’s film over FALLOUT. Now, I tend to defend the Woo film and actually think it’s a cool sleek action film (not very M:I in its feel but for pure entertainment it’s pretty exciting) but whatever your inhibitions might be towards FALLOUT surely the spectacle of the action sequences blows Woo’s M:I-2 completely out of the water. I mean just comare the cliff climb in both films. At the time I thought the cliff climb was pretty extraordinary but now compared to the cliff climb in FALLOUT it pales in comparison, though I do realize that one is a recreational cliff climb and the other one the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

The cliff climb isn't really comparable because both films are approaching them very differently. In M:I-2 it's treated entirely as a lark, whereas the FALLOUT treats it more dramatically, as any climax should.

I just enjoy M:I-2 on an absurd level like I would of FACE/OFF. It's also super melodramatic in a way that it becomes comical at times with how it's played. The only thing that would have made the car chase between Cruise and Newton more over the top is that if they just started having sex in the car on the edge of the cliff. That would have shot that film up above GHOST PROTOCOL. It's got a personality that so many action films lack.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Spot on! :))

Nah, that criticism is massively overblown. Never really understood why people damn the flick for an aspect that is only takes up a small fraction of the runtime.

M:I-3 is a great flick, with great set-pieces, a great score, and the best baddie of the series so far.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Nah, that criticism is massively overblown. Never really understood why people damn the flick for an aspect that is only takes up a small fraction of the runtime.

M:I-3 is a great flick, with great set-pieces, a great score, and the best baddie of the series so far.

Agreed.
    Ugh. To me it's like an average episode of ALIAS. It's the ugliest film, with a director who doesn't orchestrate action very well at this point in his career, and with a composer who's non-Pixar films have been horribly generic on the level of David Arnold. The color grading looks like puke. And the writing is as by the numbers as any Orci/Kurtzman output. The only props I'll give is to Tom Cruise, who looked like he was really trying to make the movie work by giving what was at the time his most earnest performance as Ethan Hunt.
  • 1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. Mission Impossible
    3. Fallout
    4. Ghost protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. MI:2
    Wow! I think this is the first time I see anyone putting M:I-3 at the top. It’s definitely my least favorite. Not only does J.J. Abrams fail to capture the cinematic scope of the series (at times it feels like an episode of ALIAS with a larger budget) but the whole idea of Ethan trying to balance his spy life with his home life is straight out of ALIAS (Jennifer Garner did this in every episode). This is totally wrong for the M:I series. The original TV series laid down the template perfectly - we didn’t know anything about the characters, it was all about the mission and nothing else. I realize that they want to make things more personal in the films and they want us to feel something for these characters, but Ethan getting married and trying to balance a home life? Umm, no. Total misstep. Imagine something similar with Bond happening. I don’t see these characters as very dissimilar in this regard.

The films are nothing like the TV series and never have been.

The first film threw those rules out the window when they made Phelps the villain, and the second one went even further away from it thanks to its absolutely ridiculous Woo-ishness, which was a chore to get through. So holding that as a criticism against the third film doesn't really wash. Abrams, to his credit, also brought the team element back for the third film which was sorely missed in the second and also gave us a glimpse at the IMF's inner workings for the first time.

And again, the home-life stuff is barely there (the first 20 minutes essentially, after that it's not about balancing a home-life, it's about saving someone he loves) and blown far out of proportion by the film's detractors. M:I-3 is no more personal than FALLOUT is. The films are very comparable in terms of their motifs, just as GHOST PROTOCOL and ROGUE NATION are.

Sure, the hospital rooftop conversation between Ethan and Julia is a bit melodramatic, but it lasts three minutes. I don't write the film off because of it. Cruise and Monaghan are good enough actors to pull it off, as well.
  • I don’t even agree that Phil Seymour Hoffman was the best villain. His scenes in the film are so brief that it’s little more than a cameo appearance. What does he have like 2 or 3 short scenes in the entire film? He barely has room to make an impression. The end fight as I recall (it’s been a while) doesn’t even involve him. Isn’t it Cruise vs Billy Crudup in the final fight?

It’s as if they couldn’t afford Hoffman (who had just won the Oscar for CAPOTE) for too many scenes or he was simultaneously filming something else and was unavailable. It was kinda jarring to me.

I know the series isn’t known for memorable villains but I’d go with Sean Harris as Solomon Lane. Not only did he appear in my 2 favorite films in the series but his creepy whispery voice gives me chills, particularly in Rogue Nation. Not to mention that the Syndicate is my favorite villainous organization so far. Jon Voight was easily the best actor to play a villain (I’ll watch Voight in anything) but because they made Phelps the villain I can’t seriously pick him. That was really stupid and disrespectful to the original series. Basically a stupid twist just for the sake of a twist, like what they did with “brother” Blofeld in SP.
    I write off action movies when the action sequences we get are as awful as that windmill chase. I revisited this film a few days ago and am still amazed at how much of a mess it was. After having such technical precision by filmmakers like De Palma and Woo, it was clearly amateur hour.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423

I couldn't disagree more. It's a very confused film that departs from the source material as well as the general concept of what Mission: Impossible should be, and just focuses on the melodramatic life of Ethan Hunt who couldn't put two and two together. If the second film took a giant leap from bastardizing the material by making a very ridiculous OTT actioner with it, the third film made just as ridiculous choices by veering into the exact opposite direction. There's nothing about it I don't hate.

IMF has a mole, a simple simpleton villain escapes and threatens Ethan's life and his wife, trust issues and pretentious red herrings (Hell, I've always known Fishburne's character isn't the villain), shakycam nonsense, overreacting agent who's bound to be a professional yet acts nothing like it but gets agitated every two seconds, and - of course - a plot device that isn't even disclosed. Rabbit's Foot. What the hell is it, anyway?

A Mission: Impossible film should be about chasing that MacGuffin and stopping it from bringing harm upon innocent lives. Not about Ethan Hunt's personal life that doesn't seem to work out. I'm glad Fallout finally closed that chapter, and now we get to just enjoy the spy thrillers the franchise is made for.

Memoirs of a Semi-Retired Agent Not Accustomed To Civilian Life? No thanks. Save all that "lovey dovey" dialogues for chick flicks. That's why the third film is by far the weakest, and I'd rather take that ridiculous John Woo film with hardened slow motions and dual Berettas in shootouts over any melodramatic Bourne ripoff.
    Woo should never have directed an M:I film. Great filmmaker, but an utterly awful choice for the series. The second one sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,964
    Nah, that criticism is massively overblown
    Never really understood why people damn the flick for an aspect that is only takes up a small fraction of the runtime.

M:I-3 is a great flick, with great set-pieces, a great score, and the best baddie of the series so far. [/quote]

+1

MI:3 gave the series heart and made Ethan a three dimensional character.
    With that said , future films wisely did not iwallow in the personal aspects, as some other franchises have done.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Toss me into the "not terribly impressed by M:I3" crowd. I love PSH but yes, doesn't make a large impact as a villain (then again, not many do in this series, unfortunately, past Lane).
    I don't mind the second being so different, because I became accustomed to the idea that each film has a very different flavor. De Palma's was doing more of a spy thriller with emphasis on silence that allowed every little sound to have an impact. The second was basically NOTORIOUS and TO CATCH A THIEF done in the style of a John Woo actioner. The third film was just shaky cam crap.

I actually don't mind not finding out what the Rabit's Foot was. Sometimes plot devices are little more than just ways to motivate characters into impressive set pieces. Hitchcock knew that well. It didn't matter what the plot device in NORTH BY NORTHWEST was, so long as it brought the characters to the climax on Mt Rushmore. The problem with M:I-3 was that the plot device didn't bring the characters to any memorable action sequences.
  • Interestingly enough I actually prefer Woo’s M:I-2 to FACE/OFF. I always thought that film was overrated. Great boat chase at the end but little in terms of the action that Woo is famous for. I suppose the performances by Travolta and Cage are the real standouts in that movie. That’s why BROKEN ARROW remains my favorite Woo film. Unfortunately it doesn’t get talked about much. It has my favorite Travolta performance, some wicked action scenes, and a terrific score by Zimmer!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Three dimensional character, that's what Bond was in Casino Royale.

Melodramatic schoolboy (with Tom Cruise giving off his worst acting aspects that are fortunately left behind by him, since Ghost Protocol), that's what Ethan Hunt was in Mission: Impossible III.

Granted. Hoffman was a great presence on the screen, but I have a hard time to believe some as frightening as Solomon Lane who embodied the entire globe in his palm couldn't properly get to Hunt while a mere arms dealer like Owen Davian got under his skin by uttering a few couple of words any average school bully would do and Hunt lost his temper and acted like his life was on the verge of collapse. Now, give me that.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not the biggest fan of the third entry either, for the reasons noted by others above. Generally I don't like melodrama and emotion in this genre. I prefer agents to remain cool and smooth. That's one of the reasons why I don't like TWINE either. So it's a general preference of mine not to touch on these matters in an action thriller.

Having said that, I do like the way the story was wrapped up in MI: Fallout. I credit McQuarrie and Cruise for getting the tone just right with this film while closing that chapter. This is how they perhaps should have opened it as well.

I'm conflicted about Cruise in MI:3. I know he's giving it his all, but he comes across too wound up imho (I realize why, but still).

I have 2 and 3 at the bottom and can't pick between them sometimes. I think 2 deserves credit for the great action sequences and its overstylized approach. It's memorable for that at least. Oh, and Thandie.

I couldn't disagree more. It's a very confused film that departs from the source material as well as the general concept of what Mission: Impossible should be, and just focuses on the melodramatic life of Ethan Hunt who couldn't put two and two together. If the second film took a giant leap from bastardizing the material by making a very ridiculous OTT actioner with it, the third film made just as ridiculous choices by veering into the exact opposite direction. There's nothing about it I don't hate.

IMF has a mole, a simple simpleton villain escapes and threatens Ethan's life and his wife, trust issues and pretentious red herrings (Hell, I've always known Fishburne's character isn't the villain), shakycam nonsense, overreacting agent who's bound to be a professional yet acts nothing like it but gets agitated every two seconds, and - of course - a plot device that isn't even disclosed. Rabbit's Foot. What the hell is it, anyway?

A Mission: Impossible film should be about chasing that MacGuffin and stopping it from bringing harm upon innocent lives. Not about Ethan Hunt's personal life that doesn't seem to work out. I'm glad Fallout finally closed that chapter, and now we get to just enjoy the spy thrillers the franchise is made for.

Memoirs of a Semi-Retired Agent Not Accustomed To Civilian Life? No thanks. Save all that "lovey dovey" dialogues for chick flicks. That's why the third film is by far the weakest, and I'd rather take that ridiculous John Woo film with hardened slow motions and dual Berettas in shootouts over any melodramatic Bourne ripoff.

Repetition doesn't reinforce the points already outlined above, I'm afraid. Again, the retractors always zoom in on a part of the film that only takes up a fraction of the runtime and is surrounded by pretty solid stuff. Once we get past the first twenty-minutes there's very little difference between the third film and FALLOUT in terms of the motifs explored. Unfortunately, it seems that people are unable to get past that.

I don't see any confusion with the film. It sets out to do a very specific thing - give Ethan a bit of humanity - and succeeds. And despite arguments to the contrary it doesn't really do it by detracting from the mission at hand. It's arguably the film that allowed the successors to build on the character into what McQuarrie achieved with FALLOUT.

Each to their own, of course, but the criticism of M:I-3 seems pretty numb-skulled to me.

And yes, I'm aware I gave out about repetition and then repeated myself. I know, I know. :p

Repetition doesn't reinforce the points already outlined above, I'm afraid. Again, the retractors always zoom in on a part of the film that only takes up a fraction of the runtime and is surrounded by pretty solid stuff. Once we get past the first twenty-minutes there's very little difference between the third film and FALLOUT in terms of the motifs explored. Unfortunately, it seems that people are unable to get past that.

I don't see any confusion with the film. It sets out to do a very specific thing - give Ethan a bit of humanity - and succeeds. And despite arguments to the contrary it doesn't really do it by detracting from the mission at hand. It's arguably the film that allowed the successors to build on the character into what McQuarrie achieved with FALLOUT.

Each to their own, of course but the criticism of M:I-3, seems pretty numb-skulled to me.
    No repetition. Just what's out there in plain sight. I fail to see anything solid outside what Hunt and his team played in the Vatican and those highlighted moments even are, what, three minutes on run time?

Fallout is dialed down on the personal angle by a wide margin in comparison to the third film. Some unnecessary nightmares here and there, but we don't see Hunt break character by overreacting out of the ordinary whereas the third film overdoes it. It drifts away from the mission with everything it has, and doesn't focus on the real threat that's supposed to be the said Rabbit's Foot.

The first film showed more character development in Hunt's personality that tied in with the fourth and beyond smoothly. The third one, however, was made to appeal to those who enjoy soap operas. But, in all fairness, those who like it, it's fine by me. To go out of their way to tell me it had great set-pieces? I'd say we've been watching two different films.