Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, you better get to work ASAP on seeing those three. My username comes from Man On Fire, one of my all-time favorites.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I had no idea about your username @Creasy47. Will definitely seek them all out soon.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,012
    Man on Fire...

Man on Fire.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    I had no idea about your username @Creasy47. Will definitely seek them all out soon.

@Creasy47's art is death, @bondjames. And he's about to paint his masterpiece.
    Definitely one of his best scenes @DaltonCraig007. Both are 'undressed' psychologically until all that's left is the painful uncomfortable naked truth. This is a far superior scene imho to the similar one in CR, made 2 years later. Cruise and Foxx nail it.

I saw it a few months back and it's as great as ever.

Which scene in CR?
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Definitely one of his best scenes @DaltonCraig007. Both are 'undressed' psychologically until all that's left is the painful uncomfortable naked truth. This is a far superior scene imho to the similar one in CR, made 2 years later. Cruise and Foxx nail it.

Which scene in CR?
    The Vesper/Bond intro sequence, which also has a bit of similar psychology at play.

Which scene in CR?
    The Vesper/Bond intro sequence, which also has a bit of similar psychology at play.

I had no idea you meant that since I love that scene, I've even watched it on YouTube multiple times.

Which scene in CR?

I had no idea you meant that since I love that scene, I've even watched it on YouTube multiple times.
    Oh, it's a great scene in the film. There's no doubt about that. Reminiscent of other classic encounters on trains. It's just that I personally think the Collateral one is done better. It unfolds more realistically within the context and runtime of the film while the CR dialogue is, at least for me, a bit forced these days upon further rewatches (it had a huge impact on me in the theatre in 2006). I find it relies heavily on Green's undoubted visual impact and presence.

Cryptic @CraigMooreOHMSS . I'm definitely intrigued now.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Cryptic @CraigMooreOHMSS . I'm definitely intrigued now.

Enjoy @bondjames.

Solid revenge flick with some great moments.
  • For the uninitiated, yes, Mission: Impossible began as a television series. Without Bruce Geller, it wouldn't have happened.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/13/bruce-geller-mi-renaissance-man/
    For the uninitiated, yes, Mission: Impossible began as a television series. Without Bruce Geller, it wouldn't have happened.

AlexanderWaverly, please tell me everyone on this thread knew that already! I'd be mortified if they didn't.
  • For the uninitiated, yes, Mission: Impossible began as a television series. Without Bruce Geller, it wouldn't have happened.

AlexanderWaverly, please tell me everyone on this thread knew that already! I'd be mortified if they didn't.

I saw a post in this thread recently where someone said something like, "I guess it was based on a TV show." Whatever the precise phrasing, it sounded like the poster didn't know much about the show. Bruce Geller was a remarkable fellow. He's been dead for 40 years so it's understandable why some wouldn't be familiar with him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The original tv show was far superior to the movies.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,327
    Paris and Dana were two of my favourite characters from the TV show, when I watched re runs as a kid I was besotted by Lesley-Anne Warren. Paris well I am a die hard Star Trek fan, if I remember correctly Mission and Trek shot episodes on the same lot when both shows were running. The shows/properties are linked in numerous other ways also.

006-mission-impossible-theredlist.jpg

Nimoy preparing to sing Bilbo Baggins
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Anticipation for this Summer’s sixth film, “Mission: Impossible – Fallout,” is high and speaking with CinePOP, actor Simon Pegg revealed that the new installment will be significantly darker than other entries in the series, and he plays a much more active role with his character this time around.

He says despite the return of director Chris McQuarrie, the filmmaker was ‘at pains to make it feel different… the look of it is different; the lighting, production design – it’s gonna feel like another, different movie.”

00Agent wrote: »
    Anticipation for this Summer’s sixth film, “Mission: Impossible – Fallout,” is high and speaking with CinePOP, actor Simon Pegg revealed that the new installment will be significantly darker than other entries in the series, and he plays a much more active role with his character this time around.

He says despite the return of director Chris McQuarrie, the filmmaker was ‘at pains to make it feel different… the look of it is different; the lighting, production design – it’s gonna feel like another, different movie.”
    This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to keep expectations in check however, because the last time a director returned to a famous spy franchise after a lauded last entry and tried something different I was less than impressed.

This has me a lot more excited. Watching RN after GP was like watching MR after TSWLM for me. It felt like they were really trying to recreate what the first one had, not realising that it wasn't just that formula itself that made the first one so much fun, it was how fresh it was at the time. Different sounds better I think.
    What I would give for another MR!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185

This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to keep expectations in check however, because the last time a director returned to a famous spy franchise after a lauded last entry and tried something different I was less than impressed.

True, but Mendes tried to go from dark to light. With MI-6 it will be the other way around and it think it will work better
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    One thing I’ll never understand is why people are so against TSWLM and MR type films overall. I mean, I’m not talking about going into space with laser guns or having cheesy henchman and a comic relief love interest, but why are people against fun films where’s it’s simply hero versus villain without getting personal? I want to be entertained with a caper and not emotionally moved.

That said, I’m not attacking Fallout. I’m excited to see it. But, I’d like films to start getting impersonal.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883

True, but Mendes tried to go from dark to light. With MI-6 it will be the other way around and it think it will work better
    That's a good point. I was just fooling around. I don't expect anything less than a home run from Cruise/Mcquarrie but am prepared for something a little different tonally.
    One thing I’ll never understand is why people are so against TSWLM and MR type films overall. I mean, I’m not talking about going into space with laser guns or having cheesy henchman and a comic relief love interest, but why are people against fun films where’s it’s simply hero versus villain without getting personal? I want to be entertained with a caper and not emotionally moved.

That said, I’m not attacking Fallout. I’m excited to see it. But, I’d like films to start getting impersonal.
    I'm a big fan of both TSWLM & MR.

Heavier emotional heapings & personal connections have certainly been a trend for many years now, there's no doubt about that. It could be due to the growing female paying audience, or it could also be due to changes in what is acceptable or expected these days on account of societal impacts. In some ways society is more open, with social media enabling much more private and personal information to be disclosed and even anticipated by the masses.

I'm curious to see if the trend changes again.
    The original tv show was far superior to the movies.
    I think they complement each other nicely, especially when considering the dreadful big screen remakes/reboots of genre classics like The Wild, Wild West, I Spy, The Avengers and such.

I realize the MI films are basically vehicles for Cruise and the second in particular had no emphasis on the teamwork that was key to the television series. But, they've gotten better with each entry and they are just so watchable.

I think watching the MI TV series can be hard to binge as they follow pretty much the same template just in different settings, but that's also part of the fun is seeing what inventive choices they make to accomplish their mission.

But you don't get to know much about the characters. I guess there was some development in some of the middle series episodes, but it didn't go real far. Humor was also rare in the show, it was all suspense and drama.

With other series like Man from UNCLE, The Avengers and I Spy the relationships and personalities of the characters were part of the appeal. One of the pleasures of The Avengers was watching Steed and Mrs. Peel contemplate a case over a glass of champagne or Solo and Kuriyakin jibing each other while trying to escape a trap.
    I didn t see any of those other shows.
  • Bruce Geller, as executive producer of the M:I TV show, had an edict there should be no personal information about the characters.

Ironically, some of the best episodes took place when writers and producers ignored that edict. Examples:

--A first season episode sees a mobster kidnap the daughter of a friend of Briggs to force Briggs to kidnap a witness against the mobster.

--A friend of Phelps has been framed for a murder he didn't commit. (This occurred in a South American country.) Phelps assembles the team, tells them they don't have to participate. Of course, they do.

--Cinammon gets captured and tortured in a season 3 episode. It's implied (in a subtle way) that Phelps and Cinammon have some kind of relationship.

--A fifth season episode takes place in Phelps home town.
    --A friend of Phelps has been framed for a murder he didn't commit. (This occurred in a South American country.) Phelps assembles the team, tells them they don't have to participate. Of course, they do.

Is that the one where they bring the dictator down with some video editing?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

This never gets old
  • --A friend of Phelps has been framed for a murder he didn't commit. (This occurred in a South American country.) Phelps assembles the team, tells them they don't have to participate. Of course, they do.

Is that the one where they bring the dictator down with some video editing?

I have to admit, I don't remember. I haven't seen the episode in a few years.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Exactly 1 month left until Mission Impossible: Fallout.

mission_impossible_fallout_1517791049.jpg
    Now we're talking.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can hardly wait! :D