Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TV Spot for Mission Impossible: Fallout :

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Behind the scenes video on the Halo jump:

• edited June 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Hanging from a wire isn't much of a stunt. Anyone can do that (subject to reasonable health and relative lack of fear of heights blah blah blah) . Jumping out of a plane and doing a halo jump - well, yeah, that is something different!

I reckon it's fake news (!) that the halo jump took 100 takes. That sounds ridiculous. Can you imagine the Moonraker pre-credit skydive taking 100 takes? Nope. The 100 takes claim sounds out of the Donald Trump book:'Wild Exaggeration And Other Crazy Claims!;' (Now available at all online book stores.) :P

As for CGI, it's used so much in modern films you don't even notice it. For example I was watching Tomb Raider HD rip and I compared the picture quality to the downloaded trailer. In the boardroom meeting the CGI team altered the background in the right window. They changed the skyline for the completed film. Have no idea why, it looked fine in the trailer. It's amazing what subtle changes can be done in films. We'll have to wait and see if the halo jump is all 'real' or if it's been enhanced with CGI. Obviously it's good PR sense for Cruise and the rest to claim it's all real. Having said all that, any actor that is prepared to jump 1000s of feet, I guess that shows real passion or some craziness! Roger Moore would have let his stuntmen do all that stuff. :) Roger rarely used stuntmen for the love scenes, though!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,599
    @fanbond123 Where does it say it took 100 takes?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @patb Cruise has gone on record saying it took about 106 takes for the Halo jump.
    Link please?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,599
    Do people not know the difference between a jump and a take? People go on about fake news without actually reading the story. They create their own fake news that others repeat.

"Between training for the stunt and shooting, Cruise jumped from a C-17 military plane a total of 106 times to get the three takes he and director Christopher McQuarrie wanted."
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    patb wrote: »
    Do people not know the difference between a jump and a take? People go on about fake news without actually reading the story. They create their own fake news that others repeat.

"Between training for the stunt and shooting, Cruise jumped from a C-17 military plane a total of 106 times to get the three takes he and director Christopher McQuarrie wanted."
    +1. Well said, sir.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Guys, am I missing something? Surely the point is he jumped out of that plane 106 times, which is a rather insane number.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What @patb wrote. It seems some don't read the articles, while others are just aiming to put these stunts and achievements down at any turn possible.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    Guys, am I missing something? Surely the point is he jumped out of that plane 106 times, which is a rather insane number.

You could really only do 2-3 jumps a day of that style, too. It's a lot of time and money, as well as immensely hard work.
    Exactly 50 days left until Mission Impossible: Fallout.
    About time.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    About time.

QyTM.gif
    Biggest release of the year for me, it's great to be a grumpy middle aged git but still feel the excitement of a teenager. That's the power of the movies :-)
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I reckon it's fake news (!) that the halo jump took 100 takes. That sounds ridiculous. Can you imagine the Moonraker pre-credit skydive taking 100 takes? Nope. The 100 takes claim sounds out of the Donald Trump book:'Wild Exaggeration And Other Crazy Claims!;' (Now available at all online book stores.) :P

Remember the time he said he held his breath under water for 6.5 minutes? That one always struck me as odd, especially seeing as how CGI heavy that particular scene was in Rogue Nation.

https://mashable.com/2016/10/24/tom-cruise-holds-breath/?europe=true#t0sOwquuiaq5
    TR007 wrote: »

Remember the time he said he held his breath under water for 6.5 minutes? That one always struck me as odd, especially seeing as how CGI heavy that particular scene was in Rogue Nation.

https://mashable.com/2016/10/24/tom-cruise-holds-breath/?europe=true#t0sOwquuiaq5
    @TR007, as was pointed out shortly before, the news wasn´t about 100 takes, but 100 dives (including practice) in order to get 3 takes. But as one can see, those guys know how to promote a film ;-).

Re Tom holding his breath in MI5: I dropped any thought about how long he might have held his breath the moment I realised the sequence has a lot of cuts, so what does it matter how long he held his breath.

@TR007, as was pointed out shortly before, the news wasn´t about 100 takes, but 100 dives (including practice) in order to get 3 takes. But as one can see, those guys know how to promote a film ;-).

Re Tom holding his breath in MI5: I dropped any thought about how long he might have held his breath the moment I realised the sequence has a lot of cuts, so what does it matter how long he held his breath.

It doesn't matter in the slightest because it surely wasn't true.
    Biggest release of the year for me, it's great to be a grumpy middle aged git but still feel the excitement of a teenager. That's the power of the movies :-)
    I'm right there with you, patb. Felt the same way before Rogue Nation.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I'm right there with you, patb. Felt the same way before Rogue Nation.

Me three! :)
    Me four.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Quite right. Not 100 takes, 100 jumps.

Which is about the amount it would take for Cruise to be able to be convincing in the takes where you can see his face. Speaking as the son of a competitive chutist.
    I really can't wait for this documentary about a guy hanging off planes and doing 100 halo jumps!
    More tv spots:

@bondjames Almost 40 days left until Mission Impossible: Fallout, time to rewatch one of the very best scenes (IMO) in Tom Cruise's career:

Definitely one of his best scenes @DaltonCraig007. Both are 'undressed' psychologically until all that's left is the painful uncomfortable naked truth. This is a far superior scene imho to the similar one in CR, made 2 years later. Cruise and Foxx nail it.

I saw it a few months back and it's as great as ever.
    @bondjames several of my personal favorite films for specific actors all came out in 2004-2006, namely Collateral (Tom Cruise), The Bourne Supremacy (Matt Damon), Man on Fire (Denzel Washington), Munich and Layer Cake (Daniel Craig), Lord of War (Nicolas Cage), Blood Diamond (Leonardo Dicaprio), Children of Men (Clive Owen).
    @DaltonCraig007, I've yet to see Man on Fire, Blood Diamond and Children of Men, but have certainly watched the other films you mention and completely agree on them.

I'm due a rewatch of the legendary Bourne series soon and will get to it once I can locate a reasonably priced 4K set (still trying to find the Die Hard reasonably priced too and want to get to it before Skyscraper is released).