Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult joins the cast of Mission Impossible 7 (and maybe 8?)

I never thought he could be bond until this pic... DAM Cruise got to him first

Yeah I'm sure EON are kicking themselves.

Who say's he'll survive? One way or another, he may only be cast for one film.

I think he's the villain.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not all that crazy about Hoult but hopefully he impresses me in this one.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult joins the cast of Mission Impossible 7 (and maybe 8?)

I never thought he could be bond until this pic... DAM Cruise got to him first

Yeah I'm sure EON are kicking themselves.

They better should be double-kicking themselves, because M:I got Hailey Atwell too. (Who had been on my list as a perfect Bond girl, genre Fields)
    But Bond did get Léa Seydoux after her passage in Ghost Protocol, so being in one franchise doesn’t exclude being in the other.

There's no lack of actresses they can cast in a Bond film, even if you haven't already pictured it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »

5 years ago I couldn’t be more ant-Hoult for Bond; I found him awkward and somewhat odd looking. But as I’ve said , he’s grown, is growing , into his looks and has matured as an actor. He was a very close runner up for the role of Batman so he’s got something.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Months ago I suggested that Hoult could be a potential Bond. He’s grown into his looks, is tall, has a good voice, is a solid actor and will be a perfect age when needed for Bond 26.

Interesting thought. I'd not really considered him before but you might well be onto something. I bet he'll test for it at the very least.

5 years ago I couldn’t be more ant-Hoult for Bond; I found him awkward and somewhat odd looking. But as I’ve said , he’s grown, is growing , into his looks and has matured as an actor. He was a very close runner up for the role of Batman so he’s got something.

in all honest I would of preferred him over Pattison... I just... I don't get the Pattison love... and I also don't get why Affleck was so hated but Pattison is not.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Hoult always comes off as soft and sensitive, so he would really need to act beyond his personal being
    It's no surprise but Simon Pegg confirmed his return, too:

https://collider.com/will-simon-pegg-return-mission-impossible-7/
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's no surprise but Simon Pegg confirmed his return, too:

https://collider.com/will-simon-pegg-return-mission-impossible-7/

He's always the least enjoyable part of these films for me...plus you don't need two tech guys. Either you keep Luthor or Benji.

Benji felt so redudant in the last film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,009
    Benji's shhhtick was nice for the first couple of films he was in but I think he's outstayed his welcome. When I heard a big name was going to die in FALLOUT I had hoped it was him. Instead it was Alec Baldwin, which was disappointing as I quite liked him in the part.
    I've actually liked his arc - he is there to bring in some good fun and lighthearted moments, which almost always work for me, and I'm happy to see him in the field more, seemingly more and more capable as the films progress.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah I don't mind him being in these at all. I guess Renner's still not back though?

The popular complaint for years was always that these were too much about Cruise and not about the team, as the TV show was. I can certainly see that with regards to MI2 perhaps, but I think the relaunched series (Mi4 onwards) has put the right emphasis on team- he's obviously the lead, which is fine, but the climax to the last one even had the action split between Cruise and two other parts of the team. I like that.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah I don't mind him being in these at all. I guess Renner's still not back though?

The popular complaint for years was always that these were too much about Cruise and not about the team, as the TV show was. I can certainly see that with regards to MI2 perhaps, but I think the relaunched series (Mi4 onwards) has put the right emphasis on team- he's obviously the lead, which is fine, but the climax to the last one even had the action split between Cruise and two other parts of the team. I like that.

McQuarrie was going to use him in the opening of Fallout by killing him off but Renner had prior commitments with Avengers so he couldn't sign up.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It seems Tom and the M:I crew will shoot in Rome for 40 days. Lybra is the codename of the project.
    matt_u wrote: »
    It seems Tom and the M:I crew will shoot in Rome for 40 days. Lybra is the codename of the project.

Just saw an article for it with some of the rumored filming locations. That's awesome news.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/tom-cruise-to-film-movie-in-rome.html
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland

Gee I wonder if they’ll use Rome better than SP...
    DoctorNo wrote: »

In a word, Yes...

In a word, Yes...

Cool
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

McQuarrie was going to use him in the opening of Fallout by killing him off but Renner had prior commitments with Avengers so he couldn't sign up.

Oh I think it’d be a shame to kill him off. I was interested that he planned to use the character of Dan from the TV Show but couldn’t quite find a way to make it work.

Or indeed MI3! (Although actually I thought that used it pretty well :) ).
    Italy/Rome must have great tax incentives for films because Bond and MI keep returning there.

I've also grown tired of the Benjie schtick. I guess you need some comic relief, but he takes it further than needed. Watching him flail in Fallout against Lane and others was tough to watch. Keeping Luther is important as he, along with Cruise, are the only links from the original film and a nice bit of continuity.

Besides, Cruise gets in some subtle good comedy relief in himself - think about the line "I'm jumping out a window" in Fallout or "Have we met?" to Ilsa in the prison scene in Rogue Nation or the prison scene that opens Ghost Protocol. There's a light touch amongst the fights and chaos that doesn't distract, kind of like the early Bond films.

I read that Dan Briggs piece and thought that would've been a cool, yet brief nod to the original series. I'm somebody who can enjoy both the television and movie series on equal terms.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Italy/Rome must have great tax incentives for films because Bond and MI keep returning there.

I've also grown tired of the Benjie schtick. I guess you need some comic relief, but he takes it further than needed. Watching him flail in Fallout against Lane and others was tough to watch. Keeping Luther is important as he, along with Cruise, are the only links from the original film and a nice bit of continuity.

Besides, Cruise gets in some subtle good comedy relief in himself - think about the line "I'm jumping out a window" in Fallout or "Have we met?" to Ilsa in the prison scene in Rogue Nation or the prison scene that opens Ghost Protocol. There's a light touch amongst the fights and chaos that doesn't distract, kind of like the early Bond films.

I read that Dan Briggs piece and thought that would've been a cool, yet brief nod to the original series. I'm somebody who can enjoy both the television and movie series on equal terms.

There are several, deft, comedic touches during the Fight scene with the big guy during the opera sequence in Rogue Nation, often done with just a look.

There are several, deft, comedic touches during the Fight scene with the big guy during the opera sequence in Rogue Nation, often done with just a look.

Or Ethan looking at him, asking for a moment while he collects himself before continuing to fight. The opera sequence is about as perfectly executed as an action sequence could be in the last few years. Editing, blocking, all of it.
    The above are valid reasons why, forgive me, I have a better time with the MI series than I do the Bond series in many ways.
    The above are valid reasons why, forgive me, I have a better time with the MI series than I do the Bond series in many ways.

Hate to say it but I've felt the same for several years now. They're just flat out more entertaining and daring to me. Bond will always reign supreme to me but as of the last 10 years, no.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Hate to say it but I've felt the same for several years now. They're just flat out more entertaining and daring to me. Bond will always reign supreme to me but as of the last 10 years, no.

I feel that way too these days.
    I thought it was just me that felt that way. Nice to see I am not alone in the sentiment that the MI series is doing actually quite a lot very well and is very enjoyable.
    Truenorth, the company that facilitated filming for Fallout, NTTD and Black Widow in Norway, have been granted 50 million Norwegian kroner for two international productions – one of which is apparently Mission: Impossible 7.

https://www.vg.no/rampelys/film/i/9vVAz5/fikk-50-millioner-til-hollywood-film-i-norge?fbclid=IwAR08KlRSaGsz-Z2pdVDFoZLRNs8kQhmz63Dm3woVS-X0lLuuGMcIEBMNQyM
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Or Ethan looking at him, asking for a moment while he collects himself before continuing to fight. The opera sequence is about as perfectly executed as an action sequence could be in the last few years. Editing, blocking, all of it.

Yes indeed, it’s absolutely masterful, and builds to a fantastic climax too. I’d love the Bonds to come up with a sequence like but I can’t expect it.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Yes indeed, it’s absolutely masterful, and builds to a fantastic climax too. I’d love the Bonds to come up with a sequence like but I can’t expect it.

They did that in QOS - Night at the opera sequence. It was simply ruined by the editing.