Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    Yeah, I’m not a fan of FALLOUT basically serving as a continuation when ROGUE NATION felt like an efficient stand alone entry. I didn’t want to see more of Elsa beyond RN as I felt her and Ethan having a professional courteous back and forth was more intriguing than turning her into yet another love interest. And Solomon Lane is not an interesting enough villain to make into a recurring.

And I’m especially not a fan of the series ditching the revolving door of new and interesting directors giving their own take on a M:I film. In a sense, this series really lost something.
    Spot on, assessment. I'm worried with McQuarrie returning for the next two films, we'll once again keep retreading RN territory with diminishing returns.

If the new Bond has a set piece even half as good as the Opera sequence from RN I’ll be happy. Knowing McQ is back for more MI makes me happy enough on its own.

If the new mission impossible or any mission impossible do anything original or at least not try to copy exact the same thing from bond or any other franchise i will be the first one to praise it.

Which Bond did they steal the Opera sequence from then? When has Bond had to decide between two targets to shoot with one bullet?
    Since McQ came onboard they've been brilliantly, and cleverly, constructed blockbusters with, as I mentioned, set pieces that actually know to raise tension; something Bond has sadly mostly forgotten in recent years. Skyfall was a step in the right direction but it's not where the MI films are now, even if it does add quite a dash more style than they have.

QOS oper sequence and about that shooting scene, TLD had a similar scene where bond had to shoot the Pushkin to save him just like Ethan had to shoot that chancellor to save him. There are lot of scenes in every single film and it's not coincidence.

Awh man, these are very, very weak comparisons. The opera sequences in both QOS and RN owe more to Hitchcock than they do to each other. Come on! :)
    People complain about SP action sequences so let me just try and say it again:

SP: bond try to run over the plane to henchmen and the woman he was trying to save in Austria .
    Fallout: Ethan try smash both helicopters to get the detonators.
    Now tell me again how exactly one makes sense (Fallout) in people's mind and other (SP) don't. I find both of them highly stupid.

Pretty easily. The answer relies on context and more specifically, STAKES.

Neither are very smart plans, but in FALLOUT Hunt is left without any choice but to risk the chopper chase (against an equal vehicle) on account of the imminent detonation of the nuclear bomb, which is the villain's endgame. There's no way of catching the helicopter, and there's a distinct mention of how crazy it is during the sequence which helps bring the tension up.

The same scenario is not present in SPECTRE, where the stakes are considerably lower. It's "just" a female in the back of a car who, at that point in the story, may or may not be useful. Using a plane to ram the convey off the road seems like overkill, and puts the person he's trying to save (as well as Bond himself) at needlessly bigger risk. Bond on skiis would have been far more interesting (and made more sense) in that scenario, for example - but instead of all the vehicles surely present at the clinic to pursue SUVs, he goes for a plane?

Conceptually, both scenes are nuts for sure, and both characters end up availing of their fair share of luck to come out on top. However, the stakes present (as well as superior editing, scoring and shot choices) during the FALLOUT chopper sequence makes it work far better, imo.

Aww nice way of saying " one stupid scene is better than the other. Talking about tension which was highly predictable trying to stop the bomb (GP plot repeated)No matter the stakes there are better ways to come up with better sequence then what they have come up with. Remember AVTAK opening where bond use a flare or something like that to stop a chopper, in SP ending bond shoot at chopper, Ethan was pretty close than bond was in both movies .
    RN had a lot of common coincidence of copying not just the opera sequence I have posted it multiple times and Frankly I am tired of saying it again to people who wants to keep there eyes close, deny all you want by saying they are weak arguments but these aren't coincidence . Just like Hitchcock films, mi owes a lot to bond films .
    RN certainly made me think of Hitchcock at the opera scene.
    Is 7 & 8 going to be the final 2 films?
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    That's an interesting point. It would make sense to do the 1-2 punch like Marvel did with Infinity War and Endgame. In all likelihood they'll keep making these as long as Cruise can.
    For a moment I thought, "Hey, what´s going on? They´re producing already 9 and 10!" Then I realised this isn´t the FF thread :-)).
  • If the next Bond has a scene similar to something in an MI film it wouldn't matter if it's bet
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    That's an interesting point. It would make sense to do the 1-2 punch like Marvel did with Infinity War and Endgame. In all likelihood they'll keep making these as long as Cruise can.
    Maybe he wants to get them filmed so he finally join the Sea Org.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Decided to re-visit some of the later M.I films. i do find these films don't linger in the mind like the Bond movies do. Anyone else find this?

Ghost Protocol is much better than i remember. Takes a little while to get going but once the film gets to Dubai it's full throttle. Some really good action, especially the skyscraper highjinks. I forgot how good the climax is with the moving car park and the race to abort the missile.

I did love Paula Patton in the film and i think she'd of made a good Bond girl.

Next was Fallout for the third time i'd seen this. Yet again, jaw dropping action (The Paris sequence tops it for me) and another nailbiting finish. Although i do think the climax is too drawn out (That is a bloody long 15 minutes!)

Yet again i think the Bond filmmakers missed a trick not employing Rebecca Ferguson who is a class act here as much as she was in the previous film. Does acting and action very well.

I remember hating MI:2 when it came out especially coming after the classy Brian De Palma original.

Can't remember much about MI:3 at all.

Next up for a re-watch is Rogue Nation which i have seen twice.
    Decided to re-visit some of the later M.I films. i do find these films don't linger in the mind like the Bond movies do. Anyone else find this?

Ghost Protocol is much better than i remember. Takes a little while to get going but once the film gets to Dubai it's full throttle. Some really good action, especially the skyscraper highjinks. I forgot how good the climax is with the moving car park and the race to abort the missile.

I did love Paula Patton in the film and i think she'd of made a good Bond girl.

Next was Fallout for the third time i'd seen this. Yet again, jaw dropping action (The Paris sequence tops it for me) and another nailbiting finish. Although i do think the climax is too drawn out (That is a bloody long 15 minutes!)

Yet again i think the Bond filmmakers missed a trick not employing Rebecca Ferguson who is a class act here as much as she was in the previous film. Does acting and action very well.

I remember hating MI:2 when it came out especially coming after the classy Brian De Palma original.

Can't remember much about MI:3 at all.

Next up for a re-watch is Rogue Nation which i have seen twice.

You've hit on why I enjoy being a fan of both series, actually.

Bond is about image, a lot of us would like to recreate the character and just about any guy who has ever put on a tux has looked in the mirror and muttered "Bond, James Bond." And there's all the locations, girls, gadgets, etc. Aston Martin is another example. It stays with us and that's why it's lasted for years.

MI movies are about immediacy, an exciting time in the cinema or home video and it pretty much stays within those moments we watch the films or trailers in getting ready for them. But we don't necessarily aspire to be Ethan Hunt and I'm pretty sure nobody here longs to go around with latex masks to impersonate people, although that could be fun in some cases.

That's why I dig these two series on different levels.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I would really hope that the last film will veer more towards the kind of film the first installment was where it was less about motorcycle chases and explosions, and more about stealthy operations. IMO nothing has topped the CIA sequence with Hunt simply trying to download a file. The original show was more or less about a team that was so good at their jobs that when they finish their heist there's literally no trace of their existence left on the field.
    @LeonardPine, I agree that Bond films linger. But that is not always a good thing. SF and SP keep haunting me, I want to like them, but everytime I give them another try I find them not satisfying. Ghost Protokoll and Rogue Nation are in the second row of my shelf, where those films that don´t linger in my mind so much reside. Nevertheless, any time I watch one of those two, I´m having a thorroughly good time.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @LeonardPine, I agree that Bond films linger. But that is not always a good thing. SF and SP keep haunting me, I want to like them, but everytime I give them another try I find them not satisfying. Ghost Protokoll and Rogue Nation are in the second row of my shelf, where those films that don´t linger in my mind so much reside. Nevertheless, any time I watch one of those two, I´m having a thorroughly good time.

Oh God yes. The MI films are not particularly nourishing but they are great entertainment.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RN is probably I have watched more than once and watched last week on TV. I find it highly rewatchabale than any of the others.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one who arranges their shelves this way!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    You've hit on why I enjoy being a fan of both series, actually.

Bond is about image, a lot of us would like to recreate the character and just about any guy who has ever put on a tux has looked in the mirror and muttered "Bond, James Bond." And there's all the locations, girls, gadgets, etc. Aston Martin is another example. It stays with us and that's why it's lasted for years.

MI movies are about immediacy, an exciting time in the cinema or home video and it pretty much stays within those moments we watch the films or trailers in getting ready for them. But we don't necessarily aspire to be Ethan Hunt and I'm pretty sure nobody here longs to go around with latex masks to impersonate people, although that could be fun in some cases.

That's why I dig these two series on different levels.

Yeah, the main difference is that the Bond films are actually about James Bond as a character, whereas Ethan Hunt just happens to be the main character in the Mission Impossible films. Neither approach is superior to the other, they're just different.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would really hope that the last film will veer more towards the kind of film the first installment was where it was less about motorcycle chases and explosions, and more about stealthy operations. IMO nothing has topped the CIA sequence with Hunt simply trying to download a file. The original show was more or less about a team that was so good at their jobs that when they finish their heist there's literally no trace of their existence left on the field.

They're just heist movies and continue to be so. The TV series actually got rather dull as nothing would ever go wrong on their heists: there was no excitement and the rather characterless teams felt a bit smug. I believe it was a few series in before they realised that they should actually try and introduce a bit of drama by having the plans not go entirely smoothly.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    If I have to choose, I still prefer the Craig series to MI, but MI is awesome. And I can't believe anyone thinks the opera sequence in RN somehow copies QoS...!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

They're just heist movies and continue to be so. The TV series actually got rather dull as nothing would ever go wrong on their heists: there was no excitement and the rather characterless teams felt a bit smug. I believe it was a few series in before they realised that they should actually try and introduce a bit of drama by having the plans not go entirely smoothly.

I’ve only seen the first season, and recall pretty early on that things would go wrong so they’d have to improvise on the spot. The characters were more archetypes, as that’s how television shows back in those days were more heavy on plot and theme, whereas character growth wouldn’t be a thing until decades later.
    The MI TV series is not an easy binge. Unlike most of today's series where everything is a season-long thread, these were self-contained stories and there weren't a lot of variants and that becomes apparent. Early on it was Iron Curtain countries and banana republic dictatorships and occasionally a mob, and in latter seasons it was the mob or syndicate as they called it.

Then again, it was a different time and people liked this enough to keep it on for 7 seasons. What gets me is there are 6 MI movies and in 5 of them there's some mole in the organization or betrayal. With Bond these days it's always some personal angle.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If I have to choose, I still prefer the Craig series to MI, but MI is awesome. And I can't believe anyone thinks the opera sequence in RN somehow copies QoS...!

Ridiculous, isn't it? That Rogue Nation opera sequence is one of the best movie thriller set pieces in the last twenty years or so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    The MI TV series is not an easy binge. Unlike most of today's series where everything is a season-long thread, these were self-contained stories and there weren't a lot of variants and that becomes apparent. Early on it was Iron Curtain countries and banana republic dictatorships and occasionally a mob, and in latter seasons it was the mob or syndicate as they called it.

Then again, it was a different time and people liked this enough to keep it on for 7 seasons. What gets me is there are 6 MI movies and in 5 of them there's some mole in the organization or betrayal. With Bond these days it's always some personal angle.

As I said a bit further up, I think the repeated mole angle (I think Rogue Nation was the first MI movie not to feature a treacherous IMF agent!) isn't quite as bad as the third act heist in every single MI movie so far to involve Ethan having to steal and/or hand over something which is too dangerous to be 'out in the open' in order to use it to get someone or something which is of even greater importance. In Fallout they changed this to a person rather than a thing, but it's still the same formula in every one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be curious to see if the next installment doesn't end on a cliffhanger, of sorts, considering they'll film back to back and the releases of the two are only a year apart. Damn, I'm excited to see what they come up with.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be curious to see if the next installment doesn't end on a cliffhanger, of sorts, considering they'll film back to back and the releases of the two are only a year apart. Damn, I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Good point; it does seem likely, doesn't it?

Good point; it does seem likely, doesn't it?

I do think so! If there's ever a time to do it, that would certainly be it. Leave audiences in anticipation of what'll follow while simultaneously ensuring they need wait only a year to find out.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

I am sure their will be locations abroad though!
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 2,115
    Hayley Atwell made her own Instagram post. She'll be in both 7 and 8. Part of the text: "I had a go at a ‘photo grid’ in an attempt to display some tech-savvy-millennial skills. For those of you who don’t know, this involves nine separate posts loaded one at a time which only come together as a complete image when someone views the profile page. Some of the comments were of the ‘wot-is-goin-on-u-can’t-frame-a-picture, mate’ variety SO, to ease the confusion, here is my news in one post..... I’m thrilled to have joined @tomcruise and @christophermcquarrie for the next TWO Mission Impossible movies.

• Also, Christopher McQuarrie has teased with a glimpse of a storyboard.

• Hayley Atwell made her own Instagram post. She'll be in both 7 and 8. Part of the text: "I had a go at a ‘photo grid’ in an attempt to display some tech-savvy-millennial skills. For those of you who don’t know, this involves nine separate posts loaded one at a time which only come together as a complete image when someone views the profile page. Some of the comments were of the ‘wot-is-goin-on-u-can’t-frame-a-picture, mate’ variety SO, to ease the confusion, here is my news in one post..... I’m thrilled to have joined @tomcruise and @christophermcquarrie for the next TWO Mission Impossible movies.

I would really like to see her be a villain.
    Seems Tom Cruise is currently in Ukraine (and has met with President Zelensky), likely scouting locations for the upcoming film(s).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seems Tom Cruise is currently in Ukraine (and has met with President Zelensky), likely scouting locations for the upcoming film(s).

He's clearly been really sent to find out about Biden! He's a spy!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Love the very opening of the theme on the accordion.