Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    No doubt, until the very end when Ethan cleaverlly devises a way to hand Cavill his! :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    talos7 wrote: »
    No doubt, until the very end when Ethan cleaverlly devises a way to hand Cavill his! :D
    Yep! Old vs New again. :))
    Yikes, I just noticed what the spell check did; perhaps Ethan will cleverly use a cleaver to defeat Cavill’s character
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yikes, I just noticed what the spell check did; perhaps Ethan will cleverly use a cleaver to defeat Cavill’s character
    So now we know Mission: Impossible 6 will be R-Rated. :))
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I think Ben Stiller should be in this film.

"This mission, it just got a hell of a lot more... impossibler."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

"Call it...call it Kickin' Impossible."
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Creasy47 wrote: »

"I don't think we've ever finished...
    That's it. Ben Stiller will be Cruise's successor.

"I don't think we've ever finished...

"...eachother's SENTENCES!"

*cue collective maniacal laughter*
  • Posted in full for its sheer brilliance:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posted in full for its sheer brilliance:

That is a very interesting insight into the behind-the-seance.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So you've seen the Celebrity Jeopardy Cruise bit.

https://www.hulu.com/watch/12768
    Look what I've bought ;-):

l9LVTEc.jpg
    3iBQoEx.jpg

So no one can say now that I'm belittling "Mission: Impossible" when I compare it with "Bond" ;-).
    Oh how much I envy you
    I'm sure this has been shared before, but it's so great and worthy of a viewing. Makes the setpiece that much more exciting for me:

I LOVE that opera scene...that's sorta my prtoblem with the movie....it peaked at the end of act 1... nothing was able to match that later :(
  • dragonsky wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been shared before, but it's so great and worthy of a viewing. Makes the setpiece that much more exciting for me:

I LOVE that opera scene...that's sorta my prtoblem with the movie....it peaked at the end of act 1... nothing was able to match that later :(

I recall the Taurus and motorcycle chase scenes were well done, but the climax was wanting for spectacular action. That's actually been the problem of the last three films in my opinion—the climaxes of all three paled in comparison to earlier set-pieces. The first two M:Is did it right, between the original's train finale and M:I-2's island raid and motorcycle chase.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    dragonsky wrote: »

That is such a well executed scene. One of a handful of moments in the theatre recently when I can recall having a wide grin on my face. Fascinating and almost operatic in its grace and choreography. Cruise looks damn good in a dinner jacket, Ferguson kills in that dress (those legs!) and Nessun Dorma has always been one of the few arias that I can stomach (I actually really enjoy it!)

I have to say though that the subsequent car and bike chase is the highlight of the film for me. Again, the whole sequence was beautifully pulled together with just the right amount of pace, viscerality, humour and style. Another time when I was just in awe at what I was witnessing. It reminds me a little of the TSWLM Lotus chase (one of my childhood favourites) on steroids.

We will be lucky to get anything half as decent in the upcoming MI:6.

Don't agree, but it reminds me of another action franchise I know where the majority of the endings are never near as exciting as what comes before.

I recall the Taurus and motorcycle chase scenes were well done, but the climax was wanting for spectacular action. That's actually been the problem of the last three films in my opinion—the climaxes of all three paled in comparison to earlier set-pieces. The first two M:Is did it right, between the original's train finale and M:I-2's island raid and motorcycle chase.
    I think at least in M:I3 they wanted to be clever and inventive and not rely on traditional structure. The finale in M:I4 seemed a bit undecided what it wanted to be, although I really like the funny parking house. The finale of M:I5 appeared to go for a scaled down, tense physical manhunt, but somehow it lacks in tension.
    If I got it right Eon had plans for CR to culminate in a tension scene, but in the end they went for safety and put the Venice action scene in.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote: »

I think at least in M:I3 they wanted to be clever and inventive and not rely on traditional structure. The finale in M:I4 seemed a bit undecided what it wanted to be, although I really like the funny parking house. The finale of M:I5 appeared to go for a scaled down, tense physical manhunt, but somehow it lacks in tension.
    If I got it right Eon had plans for CR to culminate in a tension scene, but in the end they went for safety and put the Venice action scene in.
    @boldfinger, by "tension scene," do you mean an ending like the book where Bond finds Vesper in her bed?
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,813

l9LVTEc.jpg

The fourth one triggers the OCD in me :))

Impressive collection though! I only have Rogue Nation on steelbook
    BT3366 wrote: »

Don't agree, but it reminds me of another action franchise I know where the majority of the endings are never near as exciting as what comes before.

Are you implying this about Bond or?
    So, when are they starting to market the film, again?
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767

@boldfinger, by "tension scene," do you mean an ending like the book where Bond finds Vesper in her bed?
    @0Brady, yes, something related to that. I haven´t read the script, but at the time of the shooting of CR, several discussion members seemed to have had the opportunity to read several drafts, and they complained that at some advanced point of script development there was something based more or less on the ending of the novel, and then they substituted that with a big action sequence.
    It doesn´t sound too out of this world, considering that CR in many places has a different rhythm than most Bond films before.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@0Brady, yes, something related to that. I haven´t read the script, but at the time of the shooting of CR, several discussion members seemed to have had the opportunity to read several drafts, and they complained that at some advanced point of script development there was something based more or less on the ending of the novel, and then they substituted that with a big action sequence.
    It doesn´t sound too out of this world, considering that CR in many places has a different rhythm than most Bond films before.
    @boldfinger, interesting. We've often debated what kind of ending would've worked best, the one we got or a more stripped back and dramatic one in touch with the book, but I never knew the latter was being considered seriously. Makes me wonder how the film would've felt if, after Bond's recovery, Bond and Vesper go to the seaside spot instead and we get a twenty minute adaptation of Vesper acting strange and the couple being followed by a black saloon.

I personally have grown to appreciate what we got, as I find Vesper's death even more traumatic because Bond is forced to see her die. In many ways, it's just as powerful and maybe even more so than the book.
    So, when are they starting to market the film, again?

July 27th, 2018 release date, I'd say the first teaser will be out by March at the absolute latest. Maybe they'll drop one during the Super Bowl.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    The last 3 films to be released on the last weekend of July had their 1st trailers available on:

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (July 31st, 2015): trailer on March 23rd, 2015.
    Jason Bourne (July 29th, 2016): trailer on April 20th, 2016 (+ a Super Bowl TV spot on February 7th, 2016).
    Atomic Blonde (July 28th, 2017): trailer on March 10th, 2017.

If Mission Impossible 6 (July 27th, 2018) follows that pattern, we can start betting on when the 1st trailer for the Fast & Furious spin-off with Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson (July 26th, 2019*) will be available.

* That release date is shared with the new Terminator film with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton.
    BT3366 wrote: »

Are you implying this about Bond or?
    Yes
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's good to see the man back in fine form.

I'm going to revisit the films shortly and then leave a long break before MI6. I have some niggling concerns that it may potentially not live up to the extraordinary impact that 4 & 5 had for me (based on some of McQuarrie's comments about taking a different direction with it), and so would prefer to have a longer gap before I see the new one so as to avoid subconscious direct comparisons.