Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Exactly. That's why I reckon that everything that happened in Russia could have made the basis for an incredible film if it was expanded and the Dubai and Mumbai scenes were cut.
  • Just watched it. Good fun. She is hot see her GQ photo shoot. Two questions.

How can hurt locker dude head up bourne and the mi films?

If DC's bond used just a fraction of the gadgets in mi4 would we be rolling our eyes and longing for a real world spy?
    He's not. It's pretty obvious that the whole "GHOST PROTOCOL will pass the series onto Jeremy Renner" thing was misdirection from the studios.
    He's not. It's pretty obvious that the whole "GHOST PROTOCOL will pass the series onto Jeremy Renner" thing was misdirection from the studios.

Of course the next MI has Cruisecontrol in the driving seat. And why not?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Went to see MI : GP this afternoon, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Easily as good as the original, with Crusie and co on fine form. Brad Bird makes his live action debut in fine style, and one hopes he follows up with more of the same in the future.
    Whilst Tom Cruise is now in his fifties, and has been playing agent Hunt for fifteen years now, the role still has life in it. I'm betting he'll return for a fifth, judging from the reaction this film has rightfully earned.
    The supporting cast though small do a fine job in keeping the film moving, with Jeremy Renner fitting in as a potential spin off agent for when Cruise leaves the IMF force down the track.
    Simon Pegg provides plenty of amusing scenes, and some witty dialogue, and Paula Patton gives the male viewer plenty to smile about.
    With a fast pace, and some truly dizzy and jaw dropping action sequences, Ghost Protocol leaves you entertained in a way that is often hard to do.
    Highly recommended.
  • Let's compare the BMW carchase in 'M:I 4' and the Aston/Alfa carchase in 'QOS'. I am honest if I say that I enjoyed the first one more. It wasn't filmed that shaky, like in QOS. And you could actually see it was a 'car fight' between two guys. The desert storm added also something to it (just like underwater scenes in TB, snow in OHMSS, oil in TWINE).

Also, the Burj Khalifa scenes make look Bond's climbing efforts in FYEO and Bond's jumping efforts on cranes in CR rather pale. To be very honest? I think 'M:I 4' set a new standard again. Something which certain Bond action sequences fail to do. Believe me, the Burj Khalifa scene will be remembered as a classic memorable action sequence in the future, just like the scene in 'GF' with the gold painted Bond girl.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Benny wrote:
    Whilst Tom Cruise is now in his fifties.

Don't let him hear you say that! He's only 49.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    I went to see it today and it was great. A really enjoyable film. Having just seen MI3 last night, Cruise looked old to me in this film, but as someone else said, there wasn't a moment where he wasn't believable in the role. The rest of the cast was great as well.
    It was great I've seen it. I seen the last 3 Mission:Impossible movies. Andreas Wisniewski return as short credit, You problemly remember him as Necros as the evil Henchman in The Living Daylights, In the first Mission:Impossible movie he played the Henchman for The mob who was a women name Max. She was played By Vessnessa Redgrave who was once Timothy Dalton Girlfriend in the early years & did a some movies with Timothy Dalton. We never what happen to him in the First M:I movie whether he was arrested or got away. In this one he was the Tom Cruise Prison Man who take him to his prison mate.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 12,837
    Exactly. That's why I reckon that everything that happened in Russia could have made the basis for an incredible film if it was expanded and the Dubai and Mumbai scenes were cut.

I haven't seen it yet, but I think the dubai scenes I have seen look great so far(especially when he's climbing the worlds tallest building)
  • If DC's bond used just a fraction of the gadgets in mi4 would we be rolling our eyes and longing for a real world spy?

not all of us would, but alot of people on here probably would
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Saw it a second time two days ago and I can only say it gets even better. Really good film this one, leading to a curious ranking in my M:I preferences: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1. Funny how it's even mathematically correct, isn't it? ;-)

Favourite moment in the entire film remains the
    sand storm pursuit
    . It creates a few really tense moments and a fabulous, almost Hitchcockian aesthetic.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Saw it a second time two days ago and I can only say it gets even better. Really good film this one, leading to a curious ranking in my M:I preferences: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1. Funny how it's even mathematically correct, isn't it? ;-)

Favourite moment in the entire film remains the
    sand storm pursuit
    . It creates a few really tense moments and a fabulous, almost Hitchcockian aesthetic.

I loved that scene too! Makes me wonder why the Bond producers didn't come up with something similar in the Atacama Desert in 'Quantum Of Solace'. It was pure fun! 'Thunderball' had water, 'OHMSS' had snow and.....'M:I GP' had desert sand :)!
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 5,745
    I wouldn't mind to have ol' Josh Hollaway play the lead in a M:I role, not Jeremy Renner.
    Josh Hollaway plays the agent at the beginning of the film, that does the kick arse move off the roof.

Renner's good n' all, but he's got Bourne.
    Too bad they killed of an excellent opportunity -_-
    I loved that scene too! Makes me wonder why the Bond producers didn't come up with something similar in the Atacama Desert in 'Quantum Of Solace'.
    Each of the major action sequences in QUANTUM OF SOLACE represents a classical element. The car and foot chase represent earth, the boat chase is water, the dogfight is air, and the finale in the hotel is fire.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 555
    I loved that scene too! Makes me wonder why the Bond producers didn't come up with something similar in the Atacama Desert in 'Quantum Of Solace'.
    Each of the major action sequences in QUANTUM OF SOLACE represents a classical element. The car and foot chase represent earth, the boat chase is water, the dogfight is air, and the finale in the hotel is fire.

Ummm....lame?

I just saw this and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Some of it was beyond stupid, and who knows, maybe because of that it will suffer from a DAD effect down the road, but boy was it a great time.

The nonstop tension I felt was something the Bond films have never been able to capture.
  • I loved that scene too! Makes me wonder why the Bond producers didn't come up with something similar in the Atacama Desert in 'Quantum Of Solace'.

Smile a bit shadow ;).
    A sandstorm would have been a far better use of the 'Earth' element in my opinion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,686

Who cares ? I am tired of people over-analyzing films and books, trying to find symbols and meanings in almost every action or word. Bond films are family entertainement... You sound like a litterature teacher which I all despise... I doubt Shakespear or Victor Hugo were honestly aware of 1/3rd of symbols and meanings that teachers find in every pages of their books. So as for Bond movies... such rubbish you analyzed is just unimportant and meaningless... The so-called '4 elements' in QOS is pure unimportant crap that no-one cares about. There's been countless action scenes in the past 21 films, so to start giving them symbols and meanings is just complete bullsh*t. Who cares about what this or that action scene symbolize ? I watch Bond films to be entertained, not to have a philosophical conversation about the film... I watch Bond films to have fun and a good laugh, not to feel like I've been to a philosophy class...
  • One question I have. Do you think Babs and Michael have seen 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol'? I wonder if they can manage to create a nailbiting, trendsetting action sequence on the Chinese Wall. I mean, can it outperform the Burj Khalifa sequence?
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 555
    One question I have. Do you think Babs and Michael have seen 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol'? I wonder if they can manage to create a nailbiting, trendsetting action sequence on the Chinese Wall. I mean, can it outperform the Burj Khalifa sequence?

I wonder if they have seen it as well. If they have, the two elements I hope they take note of are the score and the tension.

One question I have. Do you think Babs and Michael have seen 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol'? I wonder if they can manage to create a nailbiting, trendsetting action sequence on the Chinese Wall. I mean, can it outperform the Burj Khalifa sequence?

I wonder if they have seen it as well. If they have, the two elements I hope they take note of are the score and the tension.

No, three. Score, tension, and HUMOR.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

No, three. Score, tension, and HUMOR.

You can add action to that list as well. And no doubt even more.

Let's face it, it was an all round great film and I'm certain Barbara and Michael are at least aware of the impact the film has had, as is Craig. Still, they have one plus: Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Who cares ? I am tired of people over-analyzing films and books, trying to find symbols and meanings in almost every action or word. Bond films are family entertainement... You sound like a litterature teacher which I all despise... I doubt Shakespear or Victor Hugo were honestly aware of 1/3rd of symbols and meanings that teachers find in every pages of their books. So as for Bond movies... such rubbish you analyzed is just unimportant and meaningless... The so-called '4 elements' in QOS is pure unimportant crap that no-one cares about. There's been countless action scenes in the past 21 films, so to start giving them symbols and meanings is just complete bullsh*t. Who cares about what this or that action scene symbolize ? I watch Bond films to be entertained, not to have a philosophical conversation about the film... I watch Bond films to have fun and a good laugh, not to feel like I've been to a philosophy class...

I am 100% with you on that @DC007. The things you outlined are the same reasons why I despise poetry. Sitting in an English class, reading a piece of poetry, and trying to deduce all the symbolism hidden in it. I roll my eyes as the teachers says the "man's shadow" is a sign of the troubles of his past coming back to haunt him, or that the woman with the "white dress" symbolizes her purity. I face-palm and eye roll until my head hurts. Maybe the woman simply felt like wearing white? Think about that? Same goes for Shakespeare, like you mentioned. I am sure a great number of things that seem symbolic about his work is simply not meant to be symbolic. Case in point, the fact that if you ask Bond fans what the theme of QoS was, they hardly ever know about the 4 elements theme. Therefore, this tidbit of information isn't needed to enjoy the film. I didn't know this until a few months back and I still enjoy QoS quite thoroughly.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Who cares ? I am tired of people over-analyzing films and books, trying to find symbols and meanings in almost every action or word.
    Actually, I'm just repeating what Marc Forster said.

Although for the record, I actually am an English teacher.

I actually really agree. People read waayyyyy to much into films nowadays. What ever happened to just enjoying the movie???

I remember back at school I had an english teacher who made us read this book and understand the "deeper meaning of it", I swear he told us about every single f*cking word had some other bullcrap meaning. I just kept thinking, whats the point??? That teacher was the most boring guy I ever met and he really put me of school.

On topic, ghost protocol. LOVED IT. I actually enjoyed cruise in the film, and normally I don't like him. This is the best spy film since the bourne identity. I liked it ALOT more than QOS and a tiny bit more than CR. It felt like sort of a reboot, and I loved it.
    A very enjoyable actionmovie with a very decent story. But the actionscenes in Dubai were easily the best I've seen in this genre film for a long time.
    Bond 23 has its work cut out to best this last effort of Cruise and Co.

To find a Q that is better than SImon Pegg in the last two MI movies will be very hard to do.
  • I thought it was very good! I am a huge fan of the 1960s Mission: Impossible television series and I have to say Brad Bird managed to do what the three previous directors failed to do properly: combine the team work/heist movie aspect of the series with the set piece requirements of a big budget spy action movie.

The three previous M:I movies had one great sequence each (the CIA break-in, the motorcycle chase, the Vatican heist), while this one has plenty of them. Bird stages fantastic heist sequences in the spirit of the series (the Kremlin break-in), action sequences that would make the Bond franchise jealous (the sandstorm chase), intense fight scenes (the awesome catfight... meow!), and the Dubai climbing section is one of the greatest sequences of its kind. Ghost Protocol makes M:I III look like a tv-movie of the week.

The highlight of the film, IMO, is the hotel room switch-around sequence. Once one accepts the absurd plot contrivance of Kobalt being unaware of Sabine Moreau's physical appearance, it's pure 1960s Mission at its best and a great nod to the Season 4 episode The Double Circle.

It's not a perfect film by any stretch of imagination. The last act never lives up to the Dubai portion, the villains are bland and uninteresting (save for Lea Seydoux's unusually innocent looking assassin, sadly the writers get rid of her way too quickly), and most of the attempts to develop an emotional bond between the characters fall flat, but it still manages to deliver a fun ride.

(4/5)

For the record, the first two M:I movies got a 3/5 for me, while the third one got a 2/5. Ghost Protocol will be a future point of reference to me when I talk about sequels that improve upon the originals.
    SaintMark wrote:
    A very enjoyable actionmovie with a very decent story. But the actionscenes in Dubai were easily the best I've seen in this genre film for a long time.
    Bond 23 has its work cut out to best this last effort of Cruise and Co.

To find a Q that is better than SImon Pegg in the last two MI movies will be very hard to do.

Pegg is great. I wish he wasn't in the MI films so we could have him and nick frost as a comedy Q/R duo in the bond films, would liven things up a bit now they're all dark and moody.

The dubai scenes were brilliant, death defying action.

But I love this film, I really enjoyed it, I even liked cruise and noramlly I like the MI films less because of him.