Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

The re-watchability factor is of course a personal thing, but I find the last two entries in the Craig canon far less watchable on repeat viewings than I did his first two entries. It's far too early for me to say whether Fallout falls into the same category as it's still not available on DVD. I recently re-watched GP on HBO and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time round.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Bernie99 wrote: »

Sadly not on the official soundtrack

There's an official expanded 2 CD release coming out soon. Should be on that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The 4K/blu-ray/DVD release will come with three different audio commentaries:

MI_extras.png
  • Bernie99 wrote: »

Nope, the bonus Tracks are

11. Plutonium Trade (2:54)
    12. As Ugly As They Come (2:27)
    13. Framing Ethan (2:02)
    14. Je Suis De Sole* (1:06)
    15. Trapped (3:27)
    16. The Mission is Terminated (2:11)

*Contains An Interpolation Of “The Mission: Impossible Theme” Composed By Lalo Schifrin
    #Contains An Interpolation Of “The Plot” Composed By Lalo Schifrin
    *#Contains Interpolations Of “The Mission: Impossible Theme” And “The Plot”

Nope, the bonus Tracks are

11. Plutonium Trade (2:54)
    12. As Ugly As They Come (2:27)
    13. Framing Ethan (2:02)
    14. Je Suis De Sole* (1:06)
    15. Trapped (3:27)
    16. The Mission is Terminated (2:11)

*Contains An Interpolation Of “The Mission: Impossible Theme” Composed By Lalo Schifrin
    #Contains An Interpolation Of “The Plot” Composed By Lalo Schifrin
    *#Contains Interpolations Of “The Mission: Impossible Theme” And “The Plot”

Ah I see. Thanks for that. That's unfortunate.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

MI_extras.png

I hope this means the home release isn't too far away.

MI_extras.png

I hope this means the home release isn't too far away.

McQuarrie and co. recorded the commentaries over the past couple of weeks, I'm fairly certain; I'm guessing a mid-to-late November/early December release.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Sean Connery hanging onto a moving train and dodging bridges!

If Sean got the timing wrong - no more Sean! Scary stuff. I think Tom Cruise would be the only modern star do something that crazy.

I'm not sure what Sean Connery was thinking when he did that. Obviously it was timed to perfection but even so, it is worth risking your life for a film?! I get nervous just watching that scene!

Thrilling scene..much more exciting than Cruises effort..in a terrific heist movie! That scene was filmed here in Ireland among others
    Love 'The First Great Train Robbery'! Great score by Jerry Goldsmith and gorgeous cinematography by the legendary Geoffrey Unsworth! Crichton steps away from his usual
    sci-fi to write and direct a wonderful caper

Connery, Donald Sutherland and Lesley Ann Down star as the daring group of thieves!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,086
    MI Fallout sits at 777.9M at the eighth week of release. Still climbing!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Listening to that makes me want to watch the film again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,086
    Fallout has now surpassed Fast and Furious 6 with 789.8M!
    Fallout will release on 4K UHD, blu-ray and DVD on December 4th, 2018:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24011
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That’s... two months away.

Two months too long, I'd say.
    Two months too long, I'd say.
    Agreed. Way too long.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Finally watched this last night, what an action film. Low on plot and subtlety of course, but it's by far the best MI film, and the action should give pause for thought at EON.

On a side note it was great to finally see some snarling charisma from Bond hopeful, Henry Cavill.

This film makes me think of what a Roger Moore Bond film would look like if it was made in 2018.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

And not too far from Christmas
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

And not too far from Christmas

I usually request a movie for my secret Santa gift. This year will be no different
    Well I know what is on my Christmas list
  • It was okay, it wasn't like crazy good or anything.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Finally watched this last night, what an action film. Low on plot and subtlety of course, but it's by far the best MI film, and the action should give pause for thought at EON.

On a side note it was great to finally see some snarling charisma from Bond hopeful, Henry Cavill.

This film makes me think of what a Roger Moore Bond film would look like if it was made in 2018.
    That's precisely why I love the last three in particular so much. It's because they do remind me of Roger Moore style entries, right down to the aging but dapper hero, the fantastic aerial stunts and the ironic humour. They are great precision crafted adventures, just like those earlier films, and give me a similar feeling once I've seen one. I'm quite glad we have these while Bond does something different during the Craig experiment.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    bondjames wrote: »

That's precisely why I love the last three in particular so much. It's because they do remind me of Roger Moore style entries, right down to the aging but dapper hero, the fantastic aerial stunts and the ironic humour. They are great precision crafted adventures, just like those earlier films, and give me a similar feeling once I've seen one.
    +1
    Weve mentioned it before but Cruise's fight at the theatre with the big henchman. Cruise looks up, realising he is 18 inches shorter than the bad guy and we are all in on the joke.

Straight out of TSWLM re Moore and Jaws.

Plus, obviously, there was no CGI in Moore's day so the stunts were authentic. Even though they were obviously stuntmen, the feel is the same.

They have not explicitly dealt with Hunt aging and I do hope they weave it into a plot rather than try to cover it up as they did with Moore.

That's precisely why I love the last three in particular so much. It's because they do remind me of Roger Moore style entries, right down to the aging but dapper hero, the fantastic aerial stunts and the ironic humour. They are great precision crafted adventures, just like those earlier films, and give me a similar feeling once I've seen one. I'm quite glad we have these while Bond does something different during the Craig experiment.

Yet again we agree @bondjames
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    Weve mentioned it before but Cruise's fight at the theatre with the big henchman. Cruise looks up, realising he is 18 inches shorter than the bad guy and we are all in on the joke.

Absolutely, and that's why that sequence in particular is so amazing for me. The spirit of TSWLM/MR flows through GP/RN/Fallout in many places, I feel. It's holistic within the films too, and doesn't feel tacked on to please the faithful (which ironically is how I feel about some of the callbacks in the latest Bond films).
    They have not explicitly dealt with Hunt aging and I do hope they weave it into a plot rather than try to cover it up as they did with Moore.
    To be honest, to date I'm happy that they've not directly acknowledged it. The aging is there, but it's subtle. It's in Cruise himself, because he's obviously older than he was when he started playing the character (as was Moore towards the end too). It's also in the weariness he displays during some of the action sequences in RN and Fallout in particular. One senses that Hunt is slower than he once was. It's not as obvious a decline as it was with Rog Bond (because Cruise is in much better shape than Moore), but it's still there in the manner in which he reacts to situations (the Opera sequence as you mentioned, when he asks for a 'time out' after being kicked to the ground; after the car chase when he's in trouble momentarily; after the bike chase in RN when he's on the floor looking at the younger Faust riding off; in the toilet scene in Fallout etc. etc.).

Having said that, it would be fun if they incorporated a bit of NSNA/TB into the next one. e.g. Hunt being sent to a Shrublands equivalent on account of him slowing down or something.

Indeed. Thanks @Roadphill. Your comment made me realize what it is about these films that really hits the spot for me. I really appreciated the fact that they injected a little more humanity and past connections in Fallout, thereby changing the tone a little in comparison to the last few films. However, they didn't cross the line into melodrama or overt sentimentality. It was beautifully balanced imho.
    I always liked the sense of melancholia that was present throughout RN, especially at the beginning. It's a nice substitute for directly dealing with Hunt's age and adds a lot to the atmosphere.

"I've heard stories. They can't all be true."
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Perhaps, a new , younger member of the team who could provide banter with "the old man"? We saw a glimpe of this within the original with the way Hunt talked to Jack - as if Jack was the junior member. It was very quick and something we have seen again but IMHO I thought it worked really well.

@CraigMooreOHMSS good point. It indicates that Hunt has become some kind of legend within the various networks of operatives with clear deference. Like an Indiana Jones type character, his reputation proceeds him. It's great dialogue. Short, fun, pithy but with lots to imterpret.

Absolutely, and that's why that sequence in particular is so amazing for me. The spirit of TSWLM/MR flows through GP/RN/Fallout in many places, I feel. It's holistic within the films too, and doesn't feel tacked on to please the faithful (which ironically is how I feel about some of the callbacks in the latest Bond films).
    To be honest, to date I'm happy that they've not directly acknowledged it. The aging is there, but it's subtle. It's in Cruise himself, because he's obviously older than he was when he started playing the character (as was Moore towards the end too). It's also in the weariness he displays during some of the action sequences in RN and Fallout in particular. One senses that Hunt is slower than he once was. It's not as obvious a decline as it was with Rog Bond (because Cruise is in much better shape than Moore), but it's still there in the manner in which he reacts to situations (the Opera sequence as you mentioned, when he asks for a 'time out' after being kicked to the ground; after the car chase when he's in trouble momentarily; after the bike chase in RN when he's on the floor looking at the younger Faust riding off; in the toilet scene in Fallout etc. etc.).

Having said that, it would be fun if they incorporated a bit of NSNA/TB into the next one. e.g. Hunt being sent to a Shrublands equivalent on account of him slowing down or something.

Indeed. Thanks @Roadphill. Your comment made me realize what it is about these films that really hits the spot for me. I really appreciated the fact that they injected a little more humanity and past connections in Fallout, thereby changing the tone a little in comparison to the last few films. However, they didn't cross the line into melodrama or overt sentimentality. It was beautifully balanced imho.

@bondjames Absolutely. We can only hope that Bond 26 will follow a similar path. The fact that this Mission Impossible is so good, not to mention hugely successful at the box office should give EON food for thought going forward. Obviously not for Craig's final outing, but after that...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Cover of Dutch BD who release is on 05 December:
    9200000096283428.jpg

Stil it look like there wil not be a 3D release. But so far i have seen other country's also not get 3D release. Because lack of soundtrack CD, it is nice first disc wil have isolated score.

Source Extra's: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/mission-impossible-fallout.html
    Extras will include:
    Behind the Fallout
    Light the Fuse
    Top of the World
    The Big Swing: Deleted Scene Breakdown
    Rendezvous in Paris
    The Fall
    The Hunt is On
    Cliffside Clash
    Deleted Scenes Montage with Optional Commentary by director Christopher McQuarrie and editor Eddie Hamilton
    Foot Chase Musical Breakdown
    The Ultimate Mission
    Storyboards
    Theatrical Trailer
    Commentary by director Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise
    Commentary by director Christopher McQuarrie and editor Eddie Hamilton
    Commentary by composer Lorne Balfe
    Isolated Score Track
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Cover of Dutch BD who release is on 05 December:
    9200000096283428.jpg

Stil it look like there wil not be a 3D release. But so far i have seen other country's also not get 3D release. Because lack of soundtrack CD, it is nice first disc wil have isolated score.

Source Extra's: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/mission-impossible-fallout.html
    Extras will include:
    Behind the Fallout
    Light the Fuse
    Top of the World
    The Big Swing: Deleted Scene Breakdown
    Rendezvous in Paris
    The Fall
    The Hunt is On
    Cliffside Clash
    Deleted Scenes Montage with Optional Commentary by director Christopher McQuarrie and editor Eddie Hamilton
    Foot Chase Musical Breakdown
    The Ultimate Mission
    Storyboards
    Theatrical Trailer
    Commentary by director Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise
    Commentary by director Christopher McQuarrie and editor Eddie Hamilton
    Commentary by composer Lorne Balfe
    Isolated Score Track

There is a soundtrack CD due, but it has been delayed.