Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    Was anyone else reminded of GoldenEye in the final fight between Hunt and Walker? Especially the way Walker went down.
    I was reminded of a lot of films when watching this. It does homage a lot of classics. GE was one of them, and not just because of the finale - rather, also because of the way they worked together at the start.

To a degree, the finale reminded me more of MI2 and Cliffhanger than it did GE though.

Cliffhanger, definitely; the fact that Cavill's character was also called Walker was an added detail that connected that thought in my mind.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,599
    Giving the bad a guy a "strap line" is also a neat trick IMHO

"the greater the suffering, the greater the peace" is very simple and something that the audience can take away with them but it is a reminder that not only is he deluded but that he actually see's suffering as a positive thing and wants more of it. Truely chilling, wonderfully delivered and another small thing that adds to the quality of the movie. Great writing.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,914
    Out of horror: beauty, one could say.
    patb wrote: »

"the greater the suffering, the greater the peace" is very simple and something that the audience can take away with them but it is a reminder that not only is he deluded but that he actually see's suffering as a positive thing and wants more of it. Truely chilling, wonderfully delivered and another small thing that adds to the quality of the movie. Great writing.

Agreed about the line. I loved the manifesto. Shame they didn't have a more head-to-head Hunt vs Villain with a manifesto or reasons to do stuff.

I wouldn't be too opposed if they cast a A star villain for the next one to go head-to-head with Hunt while the rest of the cast is not as prominent.

I think that can add a new layer of these movies, otherwise they'll become TOO formulatic maybe..
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Was anyone else reminded of GoldenEye in the final fight between Hunt and Walker? Especially the way Walker went down.

I was thinking “For England, James?” the whole time.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,914
    Regarding GoldenEye, there is also the villain served up with a scarred/burned face.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A colleague of mine who is a huge MI fan, wasn t too impressed by this, as he didn t care for the plot.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was going to watch this the weekend after it came out, but I got sick (I had a fever, and not precisely the Christopher Walken way), and then just procrastinated a bit. Until yesterday.

Loads of fun. I confess I didn't find the action all that great, though it was certainly considerably entertaining and what one might call 'above average'. The bathroom and cabin fights reminded me of (interestingly enough) the farm scene in Torn Curtain. I also liked the extended Paris chase scenes-- there was this sense that Hunt was being pushed to his physical limits, and I liked how all these characters were running around the city doing different things.

But the film was also interesting in other ways. The drama and character interplay was fairly engrossing. There was an enjoyable dynamic between Cruise and Cavill-- the bold, but cool-headed experienced pro and the intense and reckless younger agent. I also loved the quiet moment in which Cruise is being followed by Ilsa through a park in Paris and then he stops and they have a serious talk. Ferguson, Harris, Cavill, Kirby, Pegg, Rhames... all solid in their roles. The scenes with Julia were also quite poignant.

I also enjoyed very much the references to the other films. The White Widow being Max's daughter, and behaving quite a bit like her (though I do hope Max comes back in a future film, though-- c'mon, she isn't actually dead, she's just "dead"... I'd like to think so, anyway.) Also, the allusion to agents growing disillusioned, which goes back to Phelps in the very first film. Hunt hanging from the side of a mountain, MI2 style. (It would be nice if they brought back someone from MI2 to reinforce continuity with it.)

And that Vanessa Kirby... she would've been a great Bond girl. Absolutely lovely woman. If it hadn't been for Q Branch, my jaw would've dropped to the floor and stayed there for the two and a half hours.

And Cavill, well, he is not without charm. After this film, I can't actively oppose the idea of the guy playing Bond, though I can't bring myself to be that enthusiastic about him either. After Craig, I'd no doubt appreciate his light touch, and I'm pretty sure we could do much worse than him. But I think I'll just wait for the next Bond actor to actually be on the screen to pass more definitive judgment.

Anyway, I want to watch this film again already.
    Glad you liked it! I pretty much agree with everything you've written. Great summary.

I didn't catch the Torn Curtain similarities (I love that farmhouse scene btw - so tense. The gum chewing security guy was great. I'm reminded of him whenever I watch Inglourious Basterds). For me, the bathroom fight was most similar to the benchmark one in True Lies.

Like you I really liked the slower moments in the film, when everyone took a breath. The Faust/Hunt meet in Paris was very cool and very spy.

Kirby was a revelation indeed. I hope she returns in the next one.

I'm with you on Cavill as well. The boy did good.
    Regarding the connection between Torn Curtain and MI6, I think it had to do with the characters' physical exhaustion in trying to subdue a man. An element common to the farmhouse scene, the bathroom scene and the climactic fight with Lane.

fanbond123 wrote: »

Mattjoes wrote:

And Cavill, well, he is not without charm. After this film, I can't actively oppose the idea of the guy playing Bond, though I can't bring myself to be that enthusiastic about him either. After Craig, I'd no doubt appreciate his light touch, and I'm pretty sure we could do much worse than him. But I think I'll just wait for the next Bond actor to actually be on the screen to pass more definitive judgment.

Not sure that's much of an endorsement. Feels like a "he'll do if no-one else comes along" reaction!

Perhaps Barbara Broccoli had some powerful reaction to Craig. Perhaps she saw him in Layer Cake and went "wow, he's the guy to replace Brosnan!" I've no idea but I'm guessing she saw him in something and it just clicked. My guess is this will happen with the next Bond actor. She will see someone and she'll go "wow, he's the guy I want."

I doubt she'll go with: "I can't actively oppose the idea of the guy playing Bond, though I can't bring myself to be that enthusiastic about him either."

Yes, it's not much of an endorsement. I have my reservations about him. He has a certain suaveness and grace about himself, and was put to good use in MI6, but I'm not totally convinced about his looks and presence (I suppose the latter has to do with his acting chops to some degree). I worry he might be a bit too lightweight for Bond (which is not the same as lighthearted, something I'll happily welcome). Yeah, we don't need Olivier to play a role like Bond, but one must be careful not to go too far in the opposite direction either. But I'll give a chance to whoever takes the role next, whether him or someone else.

Casting is really the most delicate of processes in a film. Particularly in Bond. One can understand the great care they take in that process, with the elaborate screen tests.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Out of horror: beauty, one could say.

I don't know why Sp didn't run with a theme like this, giving Blofeld some kind of motivation and showing him as a straight up psychopath. As it stands right now, it's a cool line that floats in the space of meaningless.
    Well, the dialog directly following that quote clearly establishes Blofeld as a psychopath. Then his actions torturing Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I was going to watch this the weekend after it came out, but I got sick (I had a fever, and not precisely the Christopher Walken way), and then just procrastinated a bit. Until yesterday.

Loads of fun. I confess I didn't find the action all that great, though it was certainly considerably entertaining and what one might call 'above average'. The bathroom and cabin fights reminded me of (interestingly enough) the farm scene in Torn Curtain. I also liked the extended Paris chase scenes-- there was this sense that Hunt was being pushed to his physical limits, and I liked how all these characters were running around the city doing different things.

But the film was also interesting in other ways. The drama and character interplay was fairly engrossing. There was an enjoyable dynamic between Cruise and Cavill-- the bold, but cool-headed experienced pro and the intense and reckless younger agent. I also loved the quiet moment in which Cruise is being followed by Ilsa through a park in Paris and then he stops and they have a serious talk. Ferguson, Harris, Cavill, Kirby, Pegg, Rhames... all solid in their roles. The scenes with Julia were also quite poignant.

I also enjoyed very much the references to the other films. The White Widow being Max's daughter, and behaving quite a bit like her (though I do hope Max comes back in a future film, though-- c'mon, she isn't actually dead, she's just "dead"... I'd like to think so, anyway.) Also, the allusion to agents growing disillusioned, which goes back to Phelps in the very first film. Hunt hanging from the side of a mountain, MI2 style. (It would be nice if they brought back someone from MI2 to reinforce continuity with it.)

And that Vanessa Kirby... she would've been a great Bond girl. Absolutely lovely woman. If it hadn't been for Q Branch, my jaw would've dropped to the floor and stayed there for the two and a half hours.

Anyway, I want to watch this film again already.
    Glad you liked it! I pretty much agree with everything you've written. Great summary.

I didn't catch the Torn Curtain similarities (I love that farmhouse scene btw - so tense. The gum chewing security guy was great. I'm reminded of him whenever I watch Inglourious Basterds). For me, the bathroom fight was most similar to the benchmark one in True Lies.

Like you I really liked the slower moments in the film, when everyone took a breath. The Faust/Hunt meet in Paris was very cool and very spy.

Kirby was a revelation indeed. I hope she returns in the next one.

I'm with you on Cavill as well. The boy did good.
    Regarding the connection between Torn Curtain and MI6, I think it had to do with the characters' physical exhaustion in trying to subdue a man. An element common to the farmhouse scene, the bathroom scene and the climactic fight with Lane.
    Ah, yes I see what you mean now. That is indeed a common element among all three scenes.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Does Fallout have any chance of reaching the $750 million mark?

So far, it only made $450 million.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Absolutely. Here in the States, after 20 days of release, it's made $168 million compared to Rogue Nation's $144 million.
    It doesn't open in China for two more weeks. Cruise is still really popular in the Far East, so it should inch its way across the $650mil mark with that alone.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Absolutely. Here in the States, after 20 days of release, it's made $168 million compared to Rogue Nation's $144 million.
    $750M may be a stretch, but it should clear $700M and become the top grossing MI film (not accounting for inflation). The Meg took a chunk out of its box office last weekend, and Mile 22 and Crazy Rich Asians should do something similar this weekend.

I think it will also become the top grossing MI film stateside (again, not accounting for inflation), and should get to between $215M and $220M when it's all said and done.

Globally it's tracking ahead of RN so far (and is making franchise highs in a few markets, including India and South Korea) but China (which opens at the end of the month) will be the wildcard. RN did very well there, scoring $135M, and I'm not sure if Fallout will top it.
    Well...after listening to 6 hours of the director talking about this movie on a podcast, and after seeing the movie I can definitely say this may be the bottom of my list.
    Not a bad movie at all, but it annoys me that this movie was this underwhelming, and yet everyone seems to love it.
    I really hope McQuarrie is not back for another one.

Things I liked:
    The run chase in London.
    The Lark reveal followed by the twist that it wasn't Solomon but Benji
    The bathroom fight

Things I didn't like:
    The return of Ilsa. I think I did myself a ...whatever the opposite of favour is by rewatching the 5th movie. I remember liking Ilsa.....and then I saw the movie again.....and I realized that the character is really dumb. Like it's such a BS tihng happening "oh...Solomon knows I work with MI6 but I'll pretend I'm not and he'll pretend he's not and I'll return to him multiple times even though he knows I helped Hunt and...." bla bla bla. Seriously bad character.
    And the romanse between Hunt and Ilsa seems low key forced to me.
    The "reveal" of the villain comes too quickly in the movie, so we're left with like 45 minutes of chase between Hunt and the villain. Hmm....I wonder how this one will end up. Maybe like all previous 5 movies with Hunt winning? Hmmm....
    The movie starts with the plutonium just disappearing....why? Benji ran to it......and grabbed a gun instead of the plutonium. This is an MI6 agent. Why didn't he grab the plutonium? Seriously, WTF??

The plot was too convoluted for it's own good. It needed to be more of a stand alone mission with references and stuff like that here and there.

I liked the score of the movie as well. The motorbike and car chases were meh to me. Same goes for the motorbike chase in Rogue Nation as well.
    I liked the look of Solomon Lane. He looked like a real villain.
    This didn't really feel like an IMPOSSIBLE mission. It felt like a mission that just so happens to be related with Hunt as well.
    The cop scene in Paris was good and tense as well. This movie lacked tense scenes where you're not sure what would happen in my honest opinion of course.
    The light at the end that implies that the bomb went off was nice.

Overall a 7/10 I guess.

I really need to rewatch the original one but from what I remember it's incredibly slow. I don't think it was an action or thriller, it was more of a spy drama.

The second one was great, I really miss action movies like that one. Overall incredibly fun and high octane movie that introduces the blueprint for the M:I movies. Love it.

Love the third one as well. It's not as great as the 2nd one for multiple viewings tho. But it introduces a new side to Ethan and the story and I love that. It's completely different in style from the 2nd one while style maintaining the spirit of the franchise. Love it as well.

Fourth one is one of the greatest action movies of all time in my opinion. #1 M:I movie. Nothing comes close to it.

Fifth one is a step back in the franchise. But let's be honest, how high you can go after Ghost Protocol??? The opera scene is bloody amazing. The movie is amazing up until then. It lacks another huge scene till the end so it can rival GP. Shame it didn't have another scene in the vein of the opera scene so it an be amazing. After that the movie is just average. But up until the opera it's pretty great.

And this one...well..I wrote my feelings above. Not a bad movie, but not a great one either. It lacks anything memorable. I guess the thing I'll remember most is the run chase in London. That was the best scene in the movie.

I hope they don't go full "SPECTRE" in the next one trying to connect everything. I wouldn't be too sad if Solomon doesn't return. I'd like a self contained story most of the time. If you want the movie to be related to the others....have the main villain attempt to break out Solomon from a high security prison. So the villain would have a mission:impossible on it's own and Hunt would have an even more impossible mission in chasing the villain.

Also...now both Hunt and Bond have their villains behind bars (or in solitary confinement or in asylum or....wherever) so....do you think we'll see some similar plots in the next Bond/Hunt movies?
    @dragonsky, good point about the IMPOSSIBLE mission. But as with Bond, that´s what you get when you can´t leave your fingers from those personal angles. In the end it´s most of the time a failing excuse for not having a good plot.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    MI: 2 has its detractors but it does have the virtue of being set in Australia - a location never used in Bond! :(

The stunts in MI franchise are cool and feel like a tribute to past Bond. I think my fave stunt/action scene is the sandstorm chase in Ghost Protocol - great scene, really well done. However, if I had to choose the most iconic scene in the entire franchise - it's the one where this line of dialogue is spoken:
    "Kittridge... you've never seen me very upset."

:)

Yes, the restaurant scene in MI1 is iconic IMHO and proof that , in the end, it is acting, dialogue and direction that create truely great movies in adition to the action.

We have much to thank MI1 for.
    I think MI:1 was a film ahead. It seemed a bit strange and artsy at the time, but now one feels that they had their finger on the pulse of something that was about to become more common.

It's moody, intense and has some great moments including that whole computer disc scene. The MI series hasn't lost that touch imho and that's why I love it. They always stop during something intense and zany to inject an audience surprise here and there.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yes, the restaurant scene in MI1 is iconic IMHO and proof that , in the end, it is acting, dialogue and direction that create truely great movies in adition to the action.

We have much to thank MI1 for.
    +1
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 319
    I always love the first one (though it was mostly just confusing in the cinema at 9), the second was basically a disaster and the third was very hard to praise.

But no matter how much anyone raves about MCquarrie's films they can't beat Brad Birds awesome film, an extremely rare adventure film where Tom Cruise only fires a gun once, and it's a tranquilizer.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,969
    Fallout has now crossed half a billion at the global boxoffice, with China still to come on Aug 30th.
    Fallout has now crossed half a billion at the global boxoffice, with China still to come on Aug 30th.
    That's good news. I geekily noticed a few things which I thought I'd share:

1. Fallout's UK box office seems to be falling behind RN's. The UK £ is 18% below its value in August 2015 (when RN was out), in comparison to the greenback measuring standard. This is something which can impact Bond far more negatively, given the higher proportion of overall gross that comes from there.

2. Fallout's Argentinian and Venezuelan performance is below RN's as well. Both countries are in the deep s#!^^er economically.

Goes to show that economics can impact box office.
    Apparently Fallout is currently 18% ahead of Rogue Nation internationally, thankfully. I'll be very interested in seeing how it fares in China at the end of the month.
    I'd be very surprised if it doesn't cross $100million in China. Very surprised.
    I'm going to get cocky and guess it'll make $150 million in China, beating the $135 from the previous installment. Either way, if it comes close to that number, that's good enough for me.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm going to get cocky and guess it'll make $150 million in China

That would be great.
    I'd be very surprised if it doesn't cross $100million in China. Very surprised.
    This should be easily doable.
    I'm going to get cocky and guess it'll make $150 million in China

That would be great.
    I certainly hope so but it could be difficult. The Chinese yuan has only dropped by 7% since August 2015, but still that's a deficit that must be overcome. I have faith in Jack Ma, but co-financier Ali Baba Pictures (which is responsible for marketing in the Middle Kingdom) is going to have to pull out all the stops to get this to $150M imho.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,416
    2,3 openings weak In The Netherlands. Litle bit disapointed mabey if you know it start with 207 screens. But almoost double of numbers of Rogue nation who started with 1,1 million and 121 screens. Mission Impossible 4 need two weaks to deliever 2,3 with 111 screens.

Overall papers/reviews are positieve and inspecialy about the music (shame there is no soundtrack release), les exites about the villian and next time there should be les focus on the bigger action if directers returns.

But now after two weaks movie doing almoost 4,3 million (209 screens in second weak) . Rogue Nation did after two weaks almoost 1,9 million (120 screens).

For the record: Spectre did almoost 8,3 million in two weaks with 136 screens. Stay 007 weaks on number 1. Skyfall who stay 6 weaks on number 1 did 9,3 million in two weaks with 211 screens. At the end both movies get around 2 million views, what whas double kind of number and the ticket price be 50% more expensive then QOS.

The numbers of weak 3 in The Netherlands are not confirmd yet, but i think the 4,3 million is very nice. World Wide movie already deliever more then 500 million in 3 weaks.