Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I find it more watchable than FALLOUT.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Fallout was decent but way overrated.

Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation are the best in my opinion so far.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I know Cruise has been doing action before, but I feel MI2 is the film that really made him a bona fide and bankable action star.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I am mixed on M:I 3 though I love the score which i am listening to now.

Yep. Both of Giacchino's scores are great.

Fallout was decent but way overrated.

Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation are the best in my opinion so far.

Agreed.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I know Cruise has been doing action before, but I feel MI2 is the film that really made him a bona fide and bankable action star.

Pretty much. He was a movie star in the 80s and 90s, but he wasn’t known for action movies. Even the original M:I is more of a spy thriller than an action film.

2 really did turn M:I more into an action franchise. It’s the first to have Tom Cruise doing motorcycle stunts, fight scenes, etc.

I do remember way back in the early 2000s that there were complaints that M:I-2 felt too much like James Bond films. So quaint now!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Have any of the last four movies called back to MI2 in any way?
    Other than Tom Cruise’s hair in GHOST PROTOCOL? Can’t think! Billy Baird does feel like a proto-Benji.

IIRC, Thandiwe Newton was supposed to be Hunt’s wife in MI3 but she turned it down so they had to create a new character, deciding to make more like TRUE LIES with the wife not knowing her husband is a secret agent.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited July 2022 Posts: 648

More than that. MI2 arguably made Cruise the world's biggest movie star. That movie was huge when it was released. Even with mixed reviews it made over half a billion dollars worldwide (nearly a billion in today's currency), and is still the most successful M:I movie to date. The late 90s/early 00s era was Cruise's golden age, he was just churning out one megahit after another back then, even with obscure material like Vanilla Sky.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah @MakeshiftPython @slide_99 I couldn't agree more. Movies like the first Top Gun and Days Of Thunder aren't exactly action films, but still arena-friendly movies that helped propelled his career.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I am mixed on M:I 3 though I love the score which i am listening to now.

I think one of its biggest crimes is the opening title sequence: you don't get the chance to do an M:I movie and throw it away like that! :)

Yeah that's a good observation. Funnily enough, apparently back in the early days of the first MI film, he wasn't doing all his own stunts. In a couple of shots that's not him jumping out of the exploding fish tank restaurant- it's not even him vaulting the fence that Kristin Scott Thomas is stuck to, and I always thought it was. I think come MI2 that did change and he got more heavily involved with the action stuff: the rock climbing got a lot of attention.
    There was a TON of publicity regarding his stunt work with MI2. I think that’s part of why he hired John Woo, who helped make Chow Yun Fat an international star with his Hong Kong action films. Tom Cruise wanted that same treatment, which is why there’s some criticism from back in the day that Tom Cruise was just copying Chow Yun Fat, holding guns with both hands and such.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 440
    Two Quick Updates: It appears that Part 2 may be filming in Malta later this year.
    Parts of the next Mission: Impossible spy film will be shot in Malta next year, sources close to the film industry have told Times of Malta.

The eighth instalment of the film, so-far codenamed Scorpio, will once again feature Hollywood star Tom Cruise in the lead role.

It will be the first time Cruise, 60, will shoot a film in Malta.

The shoot is expected to last around a month and will see the island play the backdrop to parts of the film. Malta is also expected to double up as South America, industry sources said. Between 200 and 300 film extras are expected to be recruited. The Malta shoot was originally scheduled for October but the process has been delayed.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/next-mission-impossible-film-tom-cruise-shot-malta.967747

And someone on the Mission Impossible Reddit pointed out that this man in the trailer (played by Marcello Marascalchi Walton)

g7iq54c0j9b91.jpg?width=2400&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a030dd656896d2380d1e00e2295a7764222758b6
    is most likely Hunt in Disguise. At least, based off this behind the scenes image.
    bh8eld40j9b91.jpg?width=1544&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=3058626c28a10041cb7fa4b9ad8944dcdb906432

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah that's fun.
    Very good. So I'm assuming Ethan crashes Kittridge's office and that is what leads to the conversation that they have in the trailer. Cool.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very good. So I'm assuming Ethan crashes Kittridge's office and that is what leads to the conversation that they have in the trailer. Cool.

I was wondering why he was present in that conversation but not part of the gas bomb explosion scene. Makes sense now!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    M:I-2 is my favorite of the bunch. The M:I saga is pretty solid - even tho there are no absolute gems like in the Craig era - but Woo’s injected his film with such a romantic pathos, super cool old school action and a cinephile background (from Notorious to To Catch a Thief, without mentioning Mann) that make the film feel way more distinctive and rich than the following, safer, ones. I know it’s cheesy sometimes, I know it’s dated a bit, but you can really feel the personality of his talented director. Plus, M:I-2 feels like a proper Mission film, and not like a US version of Bond…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that's a perfectly fair interpretation, I can see that.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I also love that M:I-2 is basically an undisclosed remake of Notorious: https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/560775-did-you-know-mission-impossible-2-is-a-remake-of-hitchcocks-notorious-here-have-a-look?amp

The scene where she gets infected with Chimera and he promises her that he will come back to save her is also a nice nod to The Last of the Mohicans.

OT but it’s time for a Bond film set in Australia.
    matt_u wrote: »
    M:I-2 is my favorite of the bunch. The M:I saga is pretty solid - even tho there are no absolute gems like in the Craig era - but Woo’s injected his film with such a romantic pathos, super cool old school action and a cinephile background (from Notorious to To Catch a Thief, without mentioning Mann) that make the film feel way more distinctive and rich than the following, safer, ones. I know it’s cheesy sometimes, I know it’s dated a bit, but you can really feel the personality of his talented director. Plus, M:I-2 feels like a proper Mission film, and not like a US version of Bond…

I disagree with literally every word you wrote :-D But hey, that's cool. I love that we can all have our own opinions and each enjoy what we enjoy. And I love that we can share them on here without getting into petty arguments (Facebook, this is not).

I'm just thrilled we're going to have EIGHT of these movies, all with Tom Cruise as the lead. Back when these first started, I would have been grateful for three.
    He was a movie star in the 80s and 90s, but he wasn’t known for action movies.
    Never thought about that, but yes, I actually prefer his versatility in the 80's and 90's where he played a vampire, a samurai, a Vietnam-vet, a bartender, a gambler and so forth. He should do more than action movies.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Never thought about that, but yes, I actually prefer his versatility in the 80's and 90's where he played a vampire, a samurai, a Vietnam-vet, a bartender, a gambler and so forth. He should do more than action movies.

I do agree, it's a shame in a way he's put himself in this corner rather; but I guess I'd say Top Gun is maybe not a full action movie, entirely. Maybe :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don’t see him as being in a corner; the window for being an “ action star” is finite. Once he’s done with the MI films I suspect that he will again seek out more varied roles and subject matter.
    Zekidk wrote: »

I agree that after the MI films under production, Tom C will return to variety. However, he ain't getting any younger. Therefore, so as to catch up in a more efficient manner, I believe he will appear as a vampire samurai Afgan vet gambling bartender. It might yield a few stories varied enough to start a series of its own. Interview with the Samurai Veteran Gambling Vampire Bartender could be the first...as he'd have say in another Austin Powers movie - Yeah, baby, yeah ! Btw - Knight and Day my freaking FAVORITE
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    He's also probably the funniest thing in Tropic Thunder, which is a pretty funny movie. And apparently he helped develop the specifics of his character, Les Grossman.
    How could I forget that performance ?!? The makeup folks really deserved an award !
    Yep, too funny...

I don't think TC put on real weight to play that producer extraordinaire - so even more credit to the makeup folks ! Or would fat suit pieces be done by costumers ? I found it terribly amusing how he preferred to dance in his office than go to an awards show.
    Absolutely a fat-suit.
    Cruise has said on several occasions that he specifically said, "I want fat hands and I want to dance" when it came to Les Grossman. He also ad libbed much of what you see on screen, and it's one of the funniest supporting performances I've ever seen.
    "And we will mourn for him. In the press."