NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The DNA angle does take not tolerating failure to a higher level.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I mean, they are not going to put every hired gun into their super secret, super important DNA database that they have of their main agents, for reasons. Do you have any idea what kind of workload and bureaucracy that would mean for SPECTRE HR?

Those guys are mostly temps from the Henchmen Hotline anyway and getting the paperwork squared in time for each event is a nightmare as is. Getting a DNA swab from everyone and then having Gladys, who actually really prefers the old card-based system anyway, to input all of that into the database in time for No 1's birthday party is just calling for you to be shortstaffed on the night.

That is actually the real induction ceremony. Forget getting the octopus ring in a candle-lit hall in some European capital. When they call you to spit in a cup in a dank office building in an industrial park outside of Paris is when you now you're in..

SPECTRE HR could be a funny comedy sketch.
    My head hurts.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Just checked and, yes, the UK subtitles do say '[Safin] proceed'. It doesn't sound like Malek's voice to me, so it could be an error - because Malek's voice is very recognisable when he calls Borat, er, I mean Valdo a minute later.
    If it is Safin, he must be talking directly to Primo rather than to all of the Spectre agents on the mission; if it's not him, Primo must've had some way of signalling to Safin that they'd accessed the MI6 lab or how would Safin have known to call Obruchev? Either way, it would have to mean that Primo was a double agent all along, wouldn't it? Which would explain why he was the only Spectre agent who survived Cuba - because Valdo knew he was working for Safin, so he hadn't included his DNA in the Heracles vial.
    Thing is, when Ash meets Primo to recruit him for Safin, he says 'Sorry for your loss' - presumably in reference to Blofeld's death/the end of Spectre. Which would mean that Primo wasn't a double agent and only joined Safin after Spectre were dead. In that case, however, why didn't the Heracles vial kill Primo along with all the other Spectre agents in Cuba?
    Gah, I've got a headache now! All this from one stray attribution in the subtitles...

Just as a little note: In the script the person saying "Proceed" is only identified as "2nd voice" (Primo seems to be "1st voice"), while Safin talking to Valdo on the phone is "Voice", even after Valdo identifies him.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It’s crystal clear in the film that it’s not Malek’s voice.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    matt_u wrote: »
    It’s crystal clear in the film that it’s not Malek’s voice.

It's not. But it's a funny gaff.
    It is to me then.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    It is to me then.

I think you missed it. I'm agreeing with you. "It's not" as in.. "It's not Malek".
    Yep, sorry.
  • Did Safin poison Mr. White with the cell phone of tallium?
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Well Cary stated that it may be possible.

Even tho SP makes it extremely clear that SPECTRE put tallium in White’s phone because Blofeld wanted him dead…
    Well Cary stated that it may be possible.

Even tho SP makes it extremely clear that SPECTRE put tallium in White’s phone because Blofeld wanted him dead…

That's what I thought to be the case too. I'm surprised Cary mentioned that Safin was a possibility in this regard.

But also, it seems Spectre was making it clear that it was Blofeld that visited Madeleine when she was a child, not Safin, so maybe NTTD retconned a few things...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    we also have to keep in mind that this isn't Disney/Star Wars, where there seems to be somebody who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the stories vetting every utterance of anyone involved for fear of superfans going crazy over an answer in a promo interview contradicting something someone else said in the 80s or whatever.

Especially with Cary I sometimes feel like he goes at these question in a "Who knows. Could be. Hadn't thought about it before."-manner. I don't mean to say he doesn't care or doesn't think about his fims, it's more like someone asks him something like that and he thinks that could be an interesting twist for the film he made and doesn't try to square everything with other films by other people that came before his.
    But also, it seems Spectre was making it clear that it was Blofeld that visited Madeleine when she was a child, not Safin, so maybe NTTD retconned a few things...

Clear? How? Blofeld just said he visited White once but Swann didn’t even remember that episode. She clearly remembered the raid at their house tho. I never thought those two “visits” were actually the same even back in 2015. In fact, they are not for obvious reasons even without taking NTTD into the mix.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,526
    You're 100% right. Oh, to be as smart as Matt U!

I make a post agreeing with you, and you still start an argument. :))
    You're 100% right. Oh, to be as smart as Matt U!

I make a post agreeing with you, and you still start an argument. :))

I was just pointing out the fact that SP never made clear those two episodes where in fact the same. I don’t understand why you feel this way, we are on a forum and I never attacked you…
    The encounter in NTTD played out word for word they way Madeleine described it on the train in Spectre, and then Blofeld tells his story at the meteorite. The story they were telling was that it was Blofeld that visits her home.

Of course, it could have been two separate visits, but that's not the story they were telling in the film.
    I never ever thought it that way for a lot of reasons. First, because the film established that she left home and cut her relationship from White at a relatively young age and I always assumed Swann was too young to remember when Blofeld visited. Why? Because she directly tells it. She doesn’t remember. Plus, why Blofeld would’ve wanted to personally kill his partner but then keep working with him for decades? Those two stories unfortunately come quite close to each other so it’s fair to assume they are related… but if you think about it doesn’t make a lot of sense. You may reply that a lot of things in SP never made a lot of sense tho… XD
    Fair enough. And it's true that SP botched a lot of things, but I still love it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It seems subjective, as I certainly took the two events being mentioned in SP to be one and the same. It only seems to be separate incidents once NTTD retcons that notion.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It seems subjective, as I certainly took the two events being mentioned in SP to be one and the same. It only seems to be separate incidents once NTTD retcons that notion.

I'm glad someone else shares my sentiments on the matter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,931
    I quite like the idea that young Madeline was just spending her childhood constantly blowing away anyone who turned up to their house :D The beginning of NTTD was just another Tuesday for Young Maddy.

No wonder she's happy to move back into the house where her mum was brutally murdered: she's a psycho!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You know it’s all about personal assumptions. The film never directly links the two events. It just happens that the two visits are being mentioned quite close to each other. If you think about it Blofeld implies Swann was there when he came at their place - he was speaking about reunions - but she doesn’t remember. That means this event happened a long time ago and since White worked with Blofeld (as a super prominent member of the organization) at least til the events inbetween QoS and SP it seems pretty obvious to me that there are no logical reasons for Blofeld to personally go killing White back then…
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @NickTwentyTwo, you certainly aren't alone! That's how I took it since release.

But yes, that's a fair point, @matt_u, and exactly why they seem to be one and the same for me - mentioning two separate events regarding Madeleine's childhood so close together in the very same film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Maybe Mr White was sat in his secure office the whole time: that's why Madeline couldn't get in :)
    Unfortunately after the train fight is where the script starts to get quite goofy.
    Yeah, there are a ton of logical loops to jump through unfortunately.
    It’s still on my top 10 so I never cared that much about the objective flaws of the third act…
    We definitely agree there!
    That’s cool! But I remember you have a soft spot for SP. We are not that much unfortunately, at least inhere… XD