NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 718
    Benny wrote: »
    I took Bond referring to Felix as his brother to Ash, as a callback to Felix introduction to Bond in CR.
    “Felix Leiter, brother from Langley.”
    Maybe it’s just me who saw it that way.
    No, I think you're right ...

.... and it may also serve to distance us as viewers from that unfortunate 'Bro-feld' business just one movie back. As does the line, "thank God you're not really related" (or similar), as spoken by Q earlier in NTTD.

It also reminds me of the line, "I got a brudder," as congenially spoken to Bond by one of the thugs in DAF, though that can't have been intended ...
  • retrovertigoretrovertigo Australia
    I must be missing something obvious but why does Madeleine tell Bond that Mathilde isn't his? I got confused by this point, especially after there had been such a big deal made of telling all the secrets and Bond returns to her and confesses his love, only for her to lie to him about Mathilde?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I must be missing something obvious but why does Madeleine tell Bond that Mathilde isn't his? I got confused by this point, especially after there had been such a big deal made of telling all the secrets and Bond returns to her and confesses his love, only for her to lie to him about Mathilde?

She is really Blofeld s .
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

Because if you're the mother of a child then you'll do anything to protect that child, especially from an absent father of five years who also happens to bring trouble to your door and has a habit of being a heartbreaker.

That's just my take on it.
    Feyador wrote: »
    I took Bond referring to Felix as his brother to Ash, as a callback to Felix introduction to Bond in CR.

.... and it may also serve to distance us as viewers from that unfortunate 'Bro-feld' business just one movie back. [As does the line, "thank God you're not really related" (or similar) as spoken by Q earlier in NTTD.]
    00Heaven wrote: »

Because if you're the mother of a child then you'll do anything to protect that child, especially from an absent father of five years who also happens to bring trouble to your door and has a habit of being a heartbreaker.

... and he would have had no moral (or legal?) ground to stand on.

"You kicked me out of your life five years ago, you bastard! And now you just show up and want to pretend that we're one happy family!? Go f*** yourself!"

That might have been my reaction. Madeleine doesn't actually play it that way, of course (she's too cool & still loves Bond), but my take is that she was establishing right away that Bond has no moral claim to their child, one that she had raised alone.

Of course, she never does unambiguously acknowledge that Madeleine is his child. But that's probably not how we understand her final words to Bond, "She does have your eyes."
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Who closes the blast doors?

Either:

Safin does, and then somehow makes it all the way down the stairs and into the garden to shoot Bond, who hadnt made it that far away.

...or...

Bond’s random flipping of the switches, and not waiting for Q’s correct method, caused them to only open temporarily and not permanently. So Bond is more responsible for his fate.

I appreciate it is probably the first one, but the second is more interesting.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    I’m curious, does anyone actually like or enjoy watching the character of Valdo Obruchev? For me he is without a doubt the worst part of an otherwise excellent Bond film. I’m not sure what they were thinking when writing that character.

I found him a tad out of place in this movie, seeing how they're playing him as a fairly cartoonish, moustache-twirling evil scientist. Luckily, he's still lightyears removed from the insulting caricature of Dr Mortner. He does have a few funny moments, and it helps that he's briefly paired with the lovely Paloma. Other than that, the serious tone of this movie is such that there's very little room for one single character to pull all the silly jokes towards him. Reminds me of the Q scenes in LTK, which I also consider out of place.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mallory wrote: »
    Who closes the blast doors?

Either:

Safin does, and then somehow makes it all the way down the stairs and into the garden to shoot Bond, who hadnt made it that far away.

...or...

Bond’s random flipping of the switches, and not waiting for Q’s correct method, caused them to only open temporarily and not permanently. So Bond is more responsible for his fate.

I appreciate it is probably the first one, but the second is more interesting.

I thought because they were blast doors, they're only set to stay open for a short window of time.
    @NickTwentyTwo I dont think is that, Bond opened them with the intention of them staying open so he could evacuate (presumably using the “stealthy bird”).
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Mallory wrote: »
    @NickTwentyTwo I dont think is that, Bond opened them with the intention of them staying open so he could evacuate (presumably using the “stealthy bird”).

Of course with the intention of them staying open, but isn't it possible he didn't fully understand how they worked?

He knew how to open them quickly, but I don't think him being surprised by them closing means that Safin closed them (if this is what happened I think they would have showed it), or that Bond messed up when he opened them.

If anything I think the latter explanation is more likely.

Either way, any explanation works here: Safin closed them, Bond opened them 'wrong' causing them to close early, or these particular blast doors are only meant to be open for a short time. Narratively speaking, all that matters, is that Bond opens them and then is surprised that they begin to close before he's escaped.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,914
    It makes story sense that Safin closed the blast doors to lure Bond back and protect his mischief.

I agree it makes sense, I’m just saying I don’t think it was the story they were telling us. IMO.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    It makes Bond look like a dummy if the blast doors closed on their own, and Safin’s presence at that moment makes the most sense if he stayed behind to protect his garden.
    Eh, I don't necessarily agree, but I can see what you mean about Safin staying behind and the logic there. As long as it makes sense for each person watching!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    To me it seemed pretty obvious that Safin closed the blast doors to protect his property. He even waited for Bond hiding by the garden because he knew Bond would've came back to re-open it.
    Fair enough, guess I'm wrong then.
    Why does Safin give Bond et al free reign within the base once they have escaped?

I appreciate he may be busy with the approaching buyers but at no point does he instruct his team to “hunt them down and kill them” (them being Bond and Nomi).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Why doesn’t Bond take Madeleines Toyota Land Cruiser after Safin has captured Madeleine and Mathilde ?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Why doesn’t Bond take Madeleines Toyota Land Cruiser after Safin has captured Madeleine and Mathilde ?

Or a motorcycle... Because the writer's wanted to show the Aston Martin a bit longer and this way it looks like Nomi is helping a bit more. It doesn't make sense storywise but looks good on the screen.
    Nothing wrong with doing something that looks good on a screen when you're making a movie.

I don't know, he got lost ... haha?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I get that it makes it easier storywise for Nomi to pick Bond up in the Aston Martin, but logically he'd take the 4x4 or a bike.
    Maybe he just wanted a walk to clear his head, or checked his phone and saw Nomi was close by, in her Valhalla, er, I mean DBS Superlegerra 😁
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

.... and it may also serve to distance us as viewers from that unfortunate 'Bro-feld' business just one movie back. [As does the line, "thank God you're not really related" (or similar) as spoken by Q earlier in NTTD.]
    00Heaven wrote: »

... and he would have had no moral (or legal?) ground to stand on.

"You kicked me out of your life five years ago, you bastard! And now you just show up and want to pretend that we're one happy family!? Go f*** yourself!"

That might have been my reaction. Madeleine doesn't actually play it that way, of course (she's too cool & still loves Bond), but my take is that she was establishing right away that Bond has no moral claim to their child, one that she had raised alone.

Of course, she never does unambiguously acknowledge that Madeleine is his child. But that's probably not how we understand her final words to Bond, "She does have your eyes."

Also, I think her line of dialogue is "She's not yours." Which on the face of it means "you are not the biological father" but also means "I don't expect you to take care of her" or going even further "she is not yours to control or decide over. Don't pull her into your life."
    It's impossible to know what Madeleine at that point thinks the future of their relationship could be. She has to think there is at least a possibility of it going the way her parent's relationship went. Her mother and her locked away in the cabin while Mr. White is out on missions until his deeds come home to haunt them. So she is apprehensive. Also, he shoved her aside pretty cold-heartedly once before.
    On the other hand, she obviously loves him and wants to test the waters a little bit in what she thinks to be a safe space.

Going off of that: Why does Safin go after M&M? She more or less did as he asked. Blofeld is dead because of her. I think it would be reasonable to assume that Bond at least would cease his pursuit of him (arguably at that point he doesn't even pursue Safin at all) and he could do as he pleases on his little island. MI6 would probably have sent Nomi at some point, but the abduction makes it a much more urgent problem and given how close the timing at the end there is, I think Safin would have easily been able to sell his weapon before MI6 got a mission off the ground. Safin of course doesn't know this, but Q didn't even have time to change out of his pyjamas, that's how slapdash of an operation that whole thing is in the end. I would bet they would have been a bit slower in their response had their not been a literal kidnapping involved.
    @ImpertinentGoon

Safin is infatuated with her. He loves her. He says so to Bond directly. I dont think he has much interest in Mathilde beyond a bargaining chip to get rid of Bond (again, an offer he makes him) and hence why he easily lets her run off.
  • In Spectre, Madeleine mentions her parents divorce, and Mr White himself says his wife "left long ago". I get that the latter could weirdly mean "she died a long time ago", but Madeleine mentioning her parents divorce is pretty conclusive...so was the death of her mother in the PTS of NTTD just one of those cock-ups, or is there something else that explains how her mum is killed by Safin, yet in the previous film she says they got divorced?
    In Spectre, Madeleine mentions her parents divorce, and Mr White himself says his wife "left long ago". I get that the latter could weirdly mean "she died a long time ago", but Madeleine mentioning her parents divorce is pretty conclusive...so was the death of her mother in the PTS of NTTD just one of those cock-ups, or is there something else that explains how her mum is killed by Safin, yet in the previous film she says they got divorced?

Almost definitely a continuity error, but the best "explanation" I can offer is that because of Madeleine's trauma, she lies to Bond in SP about what happened to her mom saying it was just a divorce. At that point she didn't know him that well yet.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    In Spectre, Madeleine mentions her parents divorce, and Mr White himself says his wife "left long ago". I get that the latter could weirdly mean "she died a long time ago", but Madeleine mentioning her parents divorce is pretty conclusive...so was the death of her mother in the PTS of NTTD just one of those cock-ups, or is there something else that explains how her mum is killed by Safin, yet in the previous film she says they got divorced?

Almost definitely a continuity error, but the best "explanation" I can offer is that because of Madeleine's trauma, she lies to Bond in SP about what happened to her mom saying it was just a divorce. At that point she didn't know him that well yet.

Thank you @FoxRox, thought it was probably an error but just wanted to see if was missing something - I like your "explanation" though!
    Or Madeleine's mother could have visited her ex-husband. Happens in all families.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Question:

Who are:
    Alison Smith
    Sarah Jones
    Sir Sebastian D'Ath

They are important enough to be named, and credited