Badlands (Predator 6) and the Predator franchise.

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    At least they’re taking the familiar and dropping it into a not too familiar setting. It’s smart.

I hope the execution is as good as this idea (the director is solid, so I expect so, 🤞)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The idea of Apocalypto meets Predator is more exciting and interesting the more I think on it. I hope they really go for it. A film like this will live and die on its leads, so I guess I just hope the leading character(s) aren't weak sauce. The other films mainly had a team dynamic which worked well, so this will be a bit different.
  • Honestly, this teaser could have stopped after “From the Director of 10 Cloverfield Lane” and they would have had me there.

But…no theatrical release? For a Predator film? Is this just the way movie marketing is changing, or…?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Honestly, this teaser could have stopped after “From the Director of 10 Cloverfield Lane” and they would have had me there.

But…no theatrical release? For a Predator film? Is this just the way movie marketing is changing, or…?

My guess is they don't have much hope for it (that's always my assumption when a film seems to get dumped to streaming anyway, but perhaps that was the plan all along).
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 6,844
    I just don't see the strategy in a steaming-only release. Do they really think they're going to get the hardcore Predator fanbase, which must surely be limited in numbers, to plunge for a Hulu subscription instead of waiting a month or two for the movie to hit Blu-ray?
    It's certainly better for their bottom line than to dump millions more into marketing and getting it into thousands of theaters, especially if they predict it to be a dud and a bomb. I figure it'll catch a lot of the bored Hulu crowd who are just interested in a new movie, and if there are any Predator fans out there who are that die hard and into the series (yet don't have Hulu), I'm sure they'll gladly sign up to see it.

I hope it's great. I couldn't even waste my time with the last one, the trailers looked terrible and the reviews seemed to suggest it's not worth a viewing.
  • You're right, it's probably more about saving on marketing and cutting losses than anything.

I too have hopes for Prey. It looks interesting. Hopefully it's better than they're projecting it to be. I was not crazy about the last Predator film. Thomas Jane randomly swearing in every scene he's in was the only worthwhile thing about it, and even that was not as entertaining as it sounds. I'm hoping Prey turns things around for the series.
    You're right, it's probably more about saving on marketing and cutting losses than anything.

I too have hopes for Prey. It looks interesting. Hopefully it's better than they're projecting it to be. I was not crazy about the last Predator film. Thomas Jane randomly swearing in every scene he's in was the only worthwhile thing about it, and even that was not as entertaining as it sounds. I'm hoping Prey turns things around for the series.

Absolutely. I admire them trying something new, at least. I enjoyed Predators for that reason alone - a nice mixture of the world's finest killers and badasses getting tossed onto a planet and being hunted for sport? Good fun, even if the execution of it all wasn't so hot.

And yes, that's the gist I got in regards to the last one. The cast seemed so-so and there didn't look like much on display that seemed to justify a viewing. I doubt I ever see it; there are simply too many other films I want to get to eventually. I've tried to accept in the last year or so that I won't see everything ever made so I need to stop watching these throwaway, generic, poorly reviewed films that don't offer much for me as it is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well I hope there's some surprises in it, because that trailer almost feels like it's the plot to the whole film! And it's the first film again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I liked the trailer the different time period appeals to me, and the Predator acting like a Predator again is a plus point.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually like the concept quite a bit but don’t like how her path to fierce warrior is handled; it’s far to forced and pandering. I would have liked to have the story develop more organically and seen her first presented as a strong woman who is existing in a traditional female role. Over time as the male warriors are taken by the predator she would have, at first reluctantly, evolved into a warrior.
    It would have been nice to see them speak their native tongue.

That would have been interesting; even if they only did it in establishing scenes then, as was done in “The Hunt for Red October “ transitioned into the language of the audience. The understanding would be that they’re speaking their native language but we’re hearing ours.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,936
    talos7 wrote: »
    I actually like the concept quite a bit but don’t like how her path to fierce warrior is handled; it’s far to forced and pandering. I would have liked to have the story develop more organically and seen her first presented as a strong woman who is existing in a traditional female role. Over time as the male warriors are taken by the predator she would have, at first reluctantly, evolved into a warrior.

Well we haven't seen it yet! I don't think it's impossible for a woman to have been a hunter, no more so than an invisible alien ripping folks' spines out anyway. 'Pandering' is such a curious term.

That was my first thought too: it seemed a bit jarring when they spoke English with American accents- especially after that first teaser where they didn't speak. Going for that sort of Apocalypto feel (I know it's set in a different country) but with English feels a bit half-hearted, but I guess it is just an action/monster movie.

I think a film like the teaser suggested, where no-one speaks at all at any point, would have been rather cool. It's all about a silent hunter after all.
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Well we haven't seen it yet! I don't think it's impossible for a woman to have been a hunter, no more so than an invisible alien ripping folks' spines out anyway. 'Pandering' is such a curious term.

That was my first thought too: it seemed a bit jarring when they spoke English with American accents- especially after that first teaser where they didn't speak. Going for that sort of Apocalypto feel (I know it's set in a different country) but with English feels a bit half-hearted, but I guess it is just an action/monster movie.

I think a film like the teaser suggested, where no-one speaks at all at any point, would have been rather cool. It's all about a silent hunter after all.

I’ve read the synopsis, she sets out to prove herself equal to any man ; she challenges gender norms to prove she can be a warrior. This is “ Pandering “ of the highest order. . Again, I am not against her proving herself capable and ultimately becoming the hero, it’s how they’re getting there that is heavy handed and makes an intriguing plot less effective.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As I say, pandering is such an odd term. The Bond films are the ultimate version of 'pandering' to the male ego fantasy but no-one seems to go on about that all day :D
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited June 2022 Posts: 650
    This looks like one of those fan movies you find on youtube, like Predator: Dark Ages.

I'm going to guess how the plot unfolds:

One-dimensional, evil Europeans are wantonly massacring peaceful Comanches who spend their time communing with nature and making bead necklaces.
    Comanches want to go to war but won't let the girl go with them because they're patriarchal.
    Evil Europeans wipe out the Comanche tribe, burn villages, kill defenseless women and children.
    The girl and the Predator are initially fighting but eventually team up to wipe out the evil Europeans because even the Predator doesn't like colonizers.
    Predator honors girl for her bravery before either dying of its wounds or flying off with its fellow Predators like at the end of AVP.
    Predators take flintlock pistol off dead European character, the pistol that they eventually will give to Danny Glover.
    Girl becomes leader of her tribe. Patriarchy has been smashed. Predators honored by Comanche nation for their shared struggle against colonialism.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    slide_99 wrote: »
    This looks like one of those fan movies you find on youtube, like Predator: Dark Ages.

Heh! It does a bit; I guess that's kind of the issue with Predator- it's pretty low budget by its nature!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That’s great! I think I’d much prefer that version.
    There was a German film recently where the actors redubbed an English version, and the makers used a sort of deepfake AI technique to actually make their lips match the movement of the new dialogue. That’s so clever isn’t it? I hope that becomes more standard.
    Yeah, I'll definitely be checking out that version as well. Thanks for the link @Creasy47
    Yeah, I'll definitely be checking out that version as well. Thanks for the link @Creasy47

You're welcome! And same here, everyone, that's the version I'll be going with for sure.
  • I preferred the trailer that just said, “From the Director of 10 Cloverfield Lane.”

Thanks for that link, @Creasy47. I'll definitely be watching the film in Comanche when I see it. The article is written a little confusingly though. At times it makes it sound like they filmed it twice in either language, sort of like Herzog filming Nosferatu in both English and German, and at times it sounds like it's just the actors dubbing over the English-language film: "But what Jhane is speaking to is on Hulu, there will be a Comanche dub of the movie, so you can watch the entire movie in Comanche with the original actors returning to perform their roles." I'm still not 100% certain which it is. It depends on if they're using "dub" correctly I guess.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,461
    You're welcome! And I believe it means the actors will return to perform their own dubs, like Jackie Chan did after a while, not that they're reshooting anything in Comanche. Sounds like the film will be in English (not sure if that's entirely the case) with a dubbed option for Comanche.
  • That makes sense. This might be the first major Hollywood film (at least in a while) where the original cast dubbed the film into another language.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Who is doing the score on this one? Really hope they keep some of Silvestri's musical themes (orchestrated differently to match the style/period).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This sounds like a film I will greatly enjoy. And yeah, in Comanche. But then what do I know? I really enjoyed The Predator... :P
    PREY Teaser Trailer

I am hoping this will catch us all out in a good way?
    @RogueAgent, you and I both, my friend. I'd love to be surprised by this. Hell, the trailer doesn't even look particularly bad or anything, so I'll remain a bit optimistic for now.