Badlands (Predator 6) and the Predator franchise.

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    What is it with some guys being scared of women?

It worked great for the ALIEN films.

No, that was a lady being scared of some aliens.

:)

ALIEN wasn’t a follow up to an original film that was all about macho dudes kicking ass in the jungle and making pussy jokes.

I love ALIEN and ALIENS.Those movies worked because they were well made and well written and Ripley was a strong female CHARACTER,not a strong FEMALE character.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2021 Posts: 7,961
    AstonLotus wrote: »

ALIEN wasn’t a follow up to an original film that was all about macho dudes kicking ass in the jungle and making pussy jokes.

I love ALIEN and ALIENS.Those movies worked because they were well made and well written and Ripley was a strong female CHARACTER,not a strong FEMALE character.

This!
    Strong women are welcome; it’s the heavy handed, pandering, and often with an attempt at social engineering and the pushing of an ideology way in which it’s presented that is tiresome.

Ripley was a great character; her evolution to the role of hero was extremely organic and natural. The plot of the new film could not be more contrived.

“The story will follow Kee, a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior. Many years ago – in a time before any Europeans had ever encroached on their lands – the Comanche people had a well defined society and gender norms. Kee is very close to her younger brother, Taabe, who is being groomed as a leader. As capable as any young man in the tribe, Kee has always been a teacher and source of inspiration for Taabe. In the Comanche way – she is Patsi – the elder sister that has helped to shape him. Kee is a truth teller and has insight that others do not. A tomboy, she wants to prove herself in the masculine world of the Comanche. When danger threatens them all – Kee sets out to prove that she is as capable as any young warrior.”
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Whatever, Aston. Do you actually post about anything apart from being scared of women all the time?

Predator was a film about macho dudes in the jungle yes, so Predator 2 wasn't an acceptable sequel I assume. All sequels must do exactly what the first one did, with the same characters in the same place. Bit of a weird and easy-to-disprove notion, but everyone's got opinions I guess.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just gave Pred 2 a watch: I must admit I remember it being better! :) Silvestri does a lot of heavy lifting in that- I don't think it would have been half as good without his energy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm looking forward to checking it out again. It's been a few years. I always get a kick out of the endearingly awful King Willy sequence! But yes, Silvestri does bring a lot to the table, especially in the final third which is pretty much all chasing. Tunnel Chase is one of his best tracks. It's somehow an even more muscular version of those same motifs from the first film!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,527
    Silvestri makes the film watchable for me. Take the King Willy scenes. He combines strong and rhythmically building percussions with jungle sounds, turning this section of town into a jungle of its own. Silvestri does the work everyone else fails to do. He's painting a full picture on an otherwise underused canvas. The score works well in isolation too. It may be the only element of P2 that I enjoy more than its counterpart in P1. I am a fan.
  • I'm loving the Silvestri love! Predator 2 did have a killer score, and I too think the movie is more enjoyable than some give it credit for. It was more than a bit silly having Danny Glover's haggard LA cop successfully go toe-to-toe with the same species that gave Schwarzenegger in his prime a run for his money (love Glover's character in this, but really?)—but what a supporting cast (Gary Busey, Bill Paxton, Rubén Blades, Robert Davi, Adam Baldwin) and what fun and imaginative go-for-broke action sequences.

Any chance you think they might be able to get Silvestri back for this one?

Getting Silvestri back would be a masterstroke, indeed. I don't know if there is a chance of that, though. I get the impression that he has moved past the series now. I think he was asked back for Predators and turned it down.

Re: Predator 2, I always get a kick out of the fact that the final 40 minutes are essentially just one long chase sequence.

It really is one long, sustained climax isn't it? One action sequence just flows into the next. The nonstop action, the novelty of seeing the Predator in an urban environment, and the score (which I agree is far more complex and far more interesting than the first) are all reasons I enjoy this film.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247
    I also agree that the score is relentless. It's almost as if Silvestri didn't want the film to end. It's the best thing about the film for sure. Because I don't think I have watched Predator 2 up to 5 times.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was a bit confused how Danny got from blowing a hole in the exterior wall of a slaughterhouse and walking in to being fifteen storeys up on the roof :D
    What are people’s views on Predators, the Adrien Brody one?

At the time I thought it was a misfire, good in concept but poorly executed, but IMO Shane Black’s The Predator makes Preds look like a masterpiece.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

At the time I thought it was a misfire, good in concept but poorly executed, but IMO Shane Black’s The Predator makes Preds look like a masterpiece.

Its a decent film it definitely gets better with subsequent re watches. I like the cast and overall premise for Predators.

Actually, Predators is my favourite of the whole series, even ranking above the first film. While that first film is, of course, a classic and the one that kicked things into gears, the cast of Predators, along with its setting, action scenes and pacing, is what does it for me. What can I say? Walton Goggins is such a charismatic actor and his exchanges with Topher Grace, another personal favourite, are exceptionally entertaining. When they talk about how

(foul language ahead)
    it's bitch-raping time

I should be shocked, yet the way these two play out that scene is just great fun. Then there's Brage, Brody, Trejo and the coolest cat of the whole bunch, Louis Ozawa Changchien. This cast keeps me going, and I'm always sad when one of them gets killed because I like them so much. I also like the look of the film and Debney's very satisfying score.

I know that most people will prefer the first Predator to this one and I have no problem with that. Predator is awesome! But in terms of pacing, action and acting, Predators is my winner, with the first film a very close second. I thought Nimród Antal had done such a good job, actually, that I went to see the film twice in theatres.

I think it's good fun. It definitely does not live up to its concept but I quite enjoy it all the same. A more seasoned director would likely have brought it to life a bit more. Antal had a bit of flair with the action but some of the quieter moments fall flat.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,930
    I need to watch that again, only saw it at the cinema. I remember thinking that Adrian Brody shouldn't really have been the lead, but otherwise decent and I think it's a good idea for a Pred film.

Topher Grace followed me on Twitter and Instagram recently. That was surprising :D

Ooh I just checked the ever-useful https://www.justwatch.com/ and it's on Disney +. That might be tonight then :)
    I need to watch that again, only saw it at the cinema. I remember thinking that Adrian Brody shouldn't really have been the lead, but otherwise decent and I think it's a good idea for a Pred film.

I like Brody as an actor but he may have been a little scrawny for the role of pack leader in this film. Still, I had a good time with him in this film too.
    Nice to see some love for Predators. I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it. But I’ve watched it three or four times now over the years (it’s eleven years old, blimey!) and I like it much more now.

The first one is great, of course, but it’s not perfect, and it also has the advantage that it introduces a creature which is new and unknown. This is the problem faced by most creature movies, because in the sequels the creature’s identity is no longer a mystery.

Interestingly I have read that the original plan for Skull was to hide the fact that it’s a Predator movie. Audiences would only discover that fact in the cinema. But someone let the cat out of the bag. IDK if that was ever a realistic idea in today’s world. “It’s a Predator movie” would be on Twitter in seconds on day one of release. Might have worked a few years ago, perhaps.
    Nice to see some love for Predators. I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it. But I’ve watched it three or four times now over the years (it’s eleven years old, blimey!) and I like it much more now.

The first one is great, of course, but it’s not perfect, and it also has the advantage that it introduces a creature which is new and unknown. This is the problem faced by most creature movies, because in the sequels the creature’s identity is no longer a mystery.

Interestingly I have read that the original plan for Skull was to hide the fact that it’s a Predator movie. Audiences would only discover that fact in the cinema. But someone let the cat out of the bag. IDK if that was ever a realistic idea in today’s world. “It’s a Predator movie” would be on Twitter in seconds on day one of release. Might have worked a few years ago, perhaps.

Even in 1960, Hitchcock had to beg people not to let the cat out of the bag. So you're right; it's a little naive to even assume that such a "secret" could be kept past the first screening.
    I would love to see them market that. They'd have to go with the "unseen force" approach.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,930
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I like Brody as an actor but he may have been a little scrawny for the role of pack leader in this film. Still, I had a good time with him in this film too.

Just watching it now, and I’d forgotten about his silly Batman/tough-guy voice! :D He’s really not a good fit, just not charismatic enough. The thought I’ve got stuck in my head, and I know he’d never have done it, is that if that character had been played by Stallone it’d be ten times better. This is a year before the first Expendables, he’d have been close enough to form and a real presence. I know the idea is that it’s more of an ensemble piece than the first, but it really needs a bit of lat-pack presence. Even JCVD might have done the trick, to be fair.

With our Silverstri chat in mind it’s quite interesting to notice that the music builds in Silvestriness to the point where the Preds first appear, at which point we get the full theme. But the music throughout just isn’t really mixed high enough: it’s too quiet. A Predator score needs to be loud and high in the mix.
  • What are people’s views on Predators, the Adrien Brody one?

How could a Predator sequel go so awry with Shane Black writing and directing and a cast with Thomas Jane, Olivia Munn, Yvonne Strahovski, Alfie Allen, and Jake Busey playing the son of his pa’s character from Pred 2? Just typing that almost makes me want to try seeing it again, but it wasn’t all that long ago I first saw it and I recall how flat it fell.

Predators on the other hand I haven’t seen since its theatrical release over a decade ago. I was disappointed then, but that was mainly due to it being a carbon copy of the original but with a less engrossing cast and faux Silvestri (dig Debney, but as with the film itself, he's just aping the original here). Suppose I can give it another shot? On paper, The Predator sounds like it should be the better re-watch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I was the same; I hadn’t seen Predators since the cinema either: I just finished it and it’s another underwhelming one. Maybe there was only one good movie in this.
    Now now, don't forget the severely underrated AvP Requiem. ;-)

True. I find this entertaining, even with its problems. And nice change of locale for a predator and alien film. And I thought Sanaa Lathan wasn't bad in it.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »

True. I find this entertaining, even with its problems. And nice change of locale for a predator and alien film. And I thought Sanaa Lathan wasn't bad in it.

You’re thinking of Paul W.S. Anderson’s AVP, @GadgetMan. I agree, that one was pretty entertaining and imaginative for a PG-13 effort. I’d say that was the best Pred film after the first two. @DarthDimi was referring to its follow-up, Requiem. That one really was a stinker.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247
    GadgetMan wrote: »

You’re thinking of Paul W.S. Anderson’s AVP, @GadgetMan. I agree, that one was pretty entertaining and imaginative for a PG-13 effort. I’d say that was the best Pred film after the first two. @DarthDimi was referring to its follow-up, Requiem. That one really was a stinker.

Oh, that's true @Some_Kind_Of_Hero
    @DarthDimi was referring to Requiem I didn't read that properly, my eyes just went to AVP. Yeah, Anderson's AVP is the better one.
    That's the thing. I like the stinker more because at least it is entertainingly sucky. The Anderson film is just dull. 😉
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 1,394

It’s pretty much The Force Awakens of the Predator franchise.Just a shameless rehash.But yeah, compared to the awful fourth entry it is a masterpiece.

Iv actually always loved Predator 2.It works as a standalone film and a sequel to the original at the same time.

And it’s worth the price of admission to hear Gary Busey growl...” A ********* ALIEN!!! “

I worry when they want to make an original movie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,267
    I remember reading about JCVD and his proposed role in Predator back in the 80's, they made the right choice...
    jean-claude-van-damme-predator.jpg

Predator-Jean-Claude-Van-Damme.jpg