And the Bondie for best real life setting featured in a climax is....page 139

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Underneath The Mango Tree if only because it gives us the one and only time Bond is heard singing. Clearly got his attention.
    TMWTGG for me. It's pure fun.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For me, it is either the Christmas tree or the mango tree. I think I will go with the mango, as it is also catchy on its own.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Do you know how Chrismas trees are grown? Gets my vote. It nicely undercuts the tension in one of my favourite scenes in the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Disco Moonraker for me too. It just makes me smile :)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Do you know how Chrismas trees are grown? Gets my vote. It nicely undercuts the tension in one of my favourite scenes in the film.

+1
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    All great choices and I love them all.

I go for Disco Moonraker. Obviously MR is a ludicrous film, and I never want to see Bond go into space, but I reckon the film is really a spectacular masterpiece of sorts. It comes from the era when Bond films meant a good evening out, where audiences would be taken on a mad journey and there would be something for all the family to enjoy. Whatever criticisms can be directed at it, I don't think any of them can be because the film is sloppy or badly made (possibly the cable car sequence). It succeeds in what it is attempting to do, it looks incredible on the big screen, and is made with pure confidence. It's a question for another thread, but has there been a Bond film made with as much confidence in itself since?

Anyway, Disco Moonraker. It's the perfect end to the film and Bond of the 70s.
    Disco Moonraker for me!
    The main title is underappreciated, but i love this too!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    You may not want to quit your day job @Revelator but I must admit to experiencing a guilty pleasure reading those alternate lyrics. :)

Great thoughts! Every guilty pleasure with a vote except The Boys and Carly Simon! I always thought if Bond took to Broadway that is what it would sound like. I wonder if Hamlish was showing his roots with that outro!
    Underneath the Mango Tree - I find myself humming it a lot.

Mango, banana and tangerine
    Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean
    When we get marry we make them grow
    And nine little child in a row

I'll go with "Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown?" Always liked the song and it's now on my holiday playlist. Years ago I played it for a girlfriend and she just kind of looked at me like I was out of my mind. Not inaccurate, I guess.

I like the other choices too, maybe except for the male chorus on TSWLM. That's a very bizarre, out-of-left-field injection to the soundtrack and a bit too campy.

Sad I missed the previous poll. You guys move quickly with these. I'd have also voted for Tanner. The character has never come off right. I am always surprised Michael Kitchen has his supporters as I've always found the actor and the way the character is written bland and no hint of the friendship the book characters had. Of course, it's very hard to successfully adapt literary characters into movies as movies have to move, especially in an action series. The Harry Potter series had a much worse problem with that.

Moneypenny also ranks up there. The character should've left when Lois Maxwell did. The Caroline Bliss version was a blank, Samantha Bond's was as much junior M feminist spouting more bad one-liners when not reverting to comedy in DAD, a real mess. The current version is at least interesting if unnecessary.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2020 Posts: 6,035
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Moneypenny also ranks up there. The character should've left when Lois Maxwell did. The Caroline Bliss version was a blank, Samantha Bond's was as much junior M feminist spouting more bad one-liners when not reverting to comedy in DAD, a real mess. The current version is at least interesting if unnecessary.

+1

They could have given us Loelia Ponsonby instead of Bliss and Samantha Bond.

And Harris could have been Mary Goodnight since the timeline was rebooted. It seems very retro to have her sitting at a desk outside M's office.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Disco Moonraker
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Because I'm a sucker for disco music, Moonraker's disco version is a pleasure with no regrets.

I'll go Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown?. I don't tend to like Christmas songs, and if I had to make a compilation out of some, it would br of 15 songs at most. And one of them is this John Barry’s "classic". It's the explosion of carillon and english horns that sells it. They give it some kind of epic scale.

BTW, my fav Xmas song is Wham's Last Christmas followed closely by Chris Rea's Driving Home For Christmas.
    Sorry @BT3366 if I sense a landslide or not much interest I tend to rush the stage and present and move on. Most times I let it ride for a bit. I appreciate your thoughts on Moneypenny and it makes sense that they take that view. But I guess for continuity sake it's the same character. I also heard that each new Bond should get a new M and Moneypenny. Curiously Brosnan got a new M and Moneypenny. Dalton kept the M and got a new Moneypenny. I feel for Bliss as she didn't get much to work with.
  • I really like "Underneath the Mango Tree" -- nothing guilty about THAT pleasure. Don't care much for Disco Moonraker... I think I'll need to give me vote to "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Some Moonraker disco for me please.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I'll go with "Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown?" Always liked the song and it's now on my holiday playlist. Years ago I played it for a girlfriend and she just kind of looked at me like I was out of my mind. Not inaccurate, I guess.

I like the other choices too, maybe except for the male chorus on TSWLM. That's a very bizarre, out-of-left-field injection to the soundtrack and a bit too campy.

Sad I missed the previous poll. You guys move quickly with these. I'd have also voted for Tanner. The character has never come off right. I am always surprised Michael Kitchen has his supporters as I've always found the actor and the way the character is written bland and no hint of the friendship the book characters had. Of course, it's very hard to successfully adapt literary characters into movies as movies have to move, especially in an action series. The Harry Potter series had a much worse problem with that.

Isn’t the current version of Moneypenny filling the role of ‘Bond’s friend’ that Tanner would do?
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The DRP absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE ‘Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown?’ .... but we love Disco Moonraker even more! ☺️
    The only candidate I think qualifies as a guilty pleassure is the TMWTGG theme song, more because of the awful lyrics than anything. And if you discard the lyrics it's a very catchy tune.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown?

As some of you have already noted, its use in OHMSS helps to underscore the tension quite nicely. Plus, Nina...….
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    TMWTGG and TSWLM gun are actualy 2 songs for each movie. The first part is very short before it changed in alternate version of the title song. Quistion is, how you like we vote: As whole or only the first part.
    I'd vote for the whole part @M_Balje you are right the version of TMWTGG and TSWLM are both very minor changes from the original song. The OHMSS and DN nominees are all original songs and then MR is a remixed version of the title song.

I am curious to see how you vote! :)
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,039
    The Dove flaps his wings and lands on the stage. The Bondie to best guilty pleasure song in a film is...Disco Moonraker from the film MR! Accepting the award is @Mathis1 who is wearing a white polyester three piece suit for the occasion!

Our voting reveals the following:
    1. Underneath the Mango Tree by Diane Coupland received 5 votes
    2. Outro of Man with The Golden Gun by Lulu received 3 votes
    3. Do you know where Christmas Trees are grown by Nina received 7 votes
    4. Disco Moonraker by Shirley Bassey received 11 votes
    5. Nobody Does it Better by Carly Simon and a chorus of fellas received 0 votes. :(

On to our next category. Fleming gave us so many wonderful villains in his novels and short stories. Sadly, once the books had been exhausted the producers had to create their own villains. People that wanted to harm our man and take over the world, or at least have a big plan. I thought it might be fun to see who do we think is the best original villain. This is not a vote for the actor or actress and their performance. It's for the character as it's written. You may consider their plot, how they antagonize Bond, how evil are they. Lets award a Bondie to best original villain. The nominees are:
    • Poor little Alec Trevelyan wants to put London back to the Dark Ages in GE
    • Electra King wants her oil, her legacy cemented in TWINE
    • Elliot Carver wants cable rights to China and the news today for tomorrow from TND
    • Silva wants to punish Mommy for being bad from SF
    • Karl Stromberg wants to live under the sea with Sebastian oh wrong movie, I mean an underwater city from TSWLM
    • Franz Sanchez wants to create cocaine from oil in LTK

Who is the best original villain? Which one is worthy of Fleming? Who are you actively rooting against in the movie they are in?
    Boy these weren't written without bias. ;)

Carver's plot is super relevant right now and the character written is entertaining. Also in this post-SP era, I like that the villain doesn't come with extra drama/baggage.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I'm gonna vote for dear old Elliot here, especially given the times we're in
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,262
    Congratulations to Disco Moonraker, a worthy winner.

Of the options provided I vote for:

Poor little Alec Trevelyan wants to put London back to the Dark Ages in GE, though I'm not sure how original it is. It recalls Fleming's MR novel(facially scarred villain with ties to Russia plans to assault London for revenge against WWII-related events).

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sanchez.( I also love Stromberg.)
    Sánchez, our Tony Montana wannabe, but except for Stromberg, they are all awesome.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Sanchez, not a shred of doubt. This man could have been right from Fleming's pages.