And the Klebbie for worst/most illogical gadget used by James Bond....page 140

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    "California Girls" in AVTAK comes second, but the snowboarding is a less impressive stunt to ruin.

Not in 1985! I remember being astounded by it.

Yeah it was almost like he was inventing snowboarding! :) I think that impression still comes across when you watch it, and in fact the music actually helps you remember that surfing on snow was a very unusual thing to be watching.
    If it were just the Bond theme playing I think we'd actually have forgotten that and the stunt would be, conversely, less impressive nowadays. So in that way, the music actually helps the stunt! :)

I don't agree. Only three films feature such a sound effect, that I can think of. Or deliberately humorous musical cues. The slide whistle from TMWTGG, the Tarzan yell in OP, and California Girls in AVTAK.
    The ski parachute jump didn't feature any such nonsense, and is probably the most well remembered stunts of the series. The snowboarding scene in AVTAK would've worked just as well, without the gag , and more than likely kept the tension and drama, that the scene had until that time.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TMWTGG
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I know not everyone agrees, but to me the spectacular car chase at the start of QOS is rendered almost unwatchable by the style of editing. I had almost no idea what was going on when I saw it in the cinema, only by rewatching several times did I actually manage to follow the action. It's a mess.

It's funny but i love it. And the more you watch it the more it becomes evident just how skillfully edited it actually is. (Perhaps thats for the 'controversial opinions' discussion... ;) )

Agree fully my friend! I still see new moments when I watch it!

Doesn't seeing bits you missed the first time suggest it wasn't very clear? :)

Benny wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    "California Girls" in AVTAK comes second, but the snowboarding is a less impressive stunt to ruin.

Not in 1985! I remember being astounded by it.

Yeah it was almost like he was inventing snowboarding! :) I think that impression still comes across when you watch it, and in fact the music actually helps you remember that surfing on snow was a very unusual thing to be watching.
    If it were just the Bond theme playing I think we'd actually have forgotten that and the stunt would be, conversely, less impressive nowadays. So in that way, the music actually helps the stunt! :)

I don't agree. Only three films feature such a sound effect, that I can think of. Or deliberately humorous musical cues.

Moonraker and Spy Who Loved Me both do, off the top of my head.

The ski parachute jump didn't feature any such nonsense, and is probably the most well remembered stunts of the series. The snowboarding scene in AVTAK would've worked just as well, without the gag , and more than likely kept the tension and drama, that the scene had until that time.

It's not a 'tense and dramatic' scene :D He's supposed to be doing something big and funny and bold and triumphant!

Does no-one have fun watching these films?
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,912
    Benny wrote:
    I don't agree. Only three films feature such a sound effect, that I can think of. Or deliberately humorous musical cues.
    mtm wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    But they weren't during a stunt or action scene.

mtm wrote:
    It's not a 'tense and dramatic' scene :D He's supposed to be doing something big and funny and bold and triumphant!

Of course we have fun, though a musical gag isn't always fun. If the scene could use humour then okay. However this is just a cheap gag, that serves no purpose.
    Imagine if the PTS of CR had a comical sound effect when Bond shoots Dryden. It would ruin the scene. Same with California Girls. AVTAK required no such humour in the PTS.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I know not everyone agrees, but to me the spectacular car chase at the start of QOS is rendered almost unwatchable by the style of editing. I had almost no idea what was going on when I saw it in the cinema, only by rewatching several times did I actually manage to follow the action. It's a mess.

It's funny but i love it. And the more you watch it the more it becomes evident just how skillfully edited it actually is. (Perhaps thats for the 'controversial opinions' discussion... ;) )

Agree fully my friend! I still see new moments when I watch it! Very well put together sequence. Wish second unit guy Dan Bradley would be brought back. Only recently discovered he did the action on Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, reason why its the only MI film I really like!

Thanks mate. I like it because it puts the viewer right in amongst the action. It's a visceral sequence and one of my favourite PTS's
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,266
    mtm wrote:

That doesn't really matter, they use humour through music.

mtm wrote:

Of course we have fun, though a musical gag isn't always fun. If the scene could use humour then okay. However this is just a cheap gag, that serves no purpose.
    Imagine if the PTS of CR had a comical sound effect when Bond shoots Dryden. It would ruin the scene. Same with California Girls. AVTAK required no such humour in the PTS.

Yes, it did. Because it's fun.

Comparing it with CR is silly. Do you really think they're trying to do the same thing? Did Daniel Craig climb into a submarine disguised as an iceberg with a big-boobed lady in it just after killing Dryden? Does that perhaps give you a hint that the tone is slightly different between those two...? :))
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    mtm wrote:

mtm wrote:

Comparing it with CR is silly. Do you really think they're trying to do the same thing? Did Daniel Craig climb into a submarine disguised as an iceberg with a big-boobed lady in it just after killing Dryden? Does that perhaps give you a hint that the tone is slightly different between those two...? :))

:)) +1

Not picking on Benny specifically, but an awful lot of fans seem to think Bond films are generally very serious, and Bond is a deep and dark character, despite the evidence of about 21 of 24 films. It seems clear to me that CR is something of an outlier in a series of very light-hearted films.

Having said that, I don't really have a vote here, because while some are better or worse than others, none of these scenes are ruined at all by these little sound transgressions for me. The slide whistle doesn't alter the tone of TMWTGG even a bit.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think people are missing the point of the question, in that they're taking the entire film into account when we're just talking about these moments in isolation. Previous questions have asked us to not take our opinions of the films into account. It's not "does this sound effect ruin the film". If the stunt or sequence was just that, an isolated stunt or sequence, would these additions take away from them or not?

In which case, they're all pretty big offenders, but the slide whistle still takes it for me.
    I think people are missing the point of the thread a bit; previous questions asked us to look at the options in isolation, not take our opinions of the films surrounding them into account. As such, the overall tone of the films doesn't really matter - do these additions ruin the stunts/sequences in isolation? In that sense, they are all good options, but I'll have to stick with my choice of the slide whistle.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    The Slide Whistle. The stunt is actually one of the best, but that darn whistle almost takes me right out of it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote:

mtm wrote:

:)) +1

Not picking on Benny specifically, but an awful lot of fans seem to think Bond films are generally very serious, and Bond is a deep and dark character, despite the evidence of about 21 of 24 films. It seems clear to me that CR is something of an outlier in a series of very light-hearted films.

Yes I get the same impression, I do wonder if a lot of Bond fans tend to miss the point that these films are mostly spoofs..? They're supposed to be funny in the most part, you're supposed to be enjoying yourself. He's not a real spy, spies don't have underwater cars and exploding tie pins.

Maybe we could have an award to best gag of some kind?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think people are missing the point of the thread a bit; previous questions asked us to look at the options in isolation, not take our opinions of the films surrounding them into account. As such, the overall tone of the films doesn't really matter - do these additions ruin the stunts/sequences in isolation? In that sense, they are all good options, but I'll have to stick with my choice of the slide whistle.

Yeah I’m with you there, and that’s why I don’t think the beach boys tune undermines the ski sequence because that is the gag: Bond is surfing on snow. Without the slide whistle the jump is a better stunt, without the music it’s just Bond on a ski.

Yeah I’m with you there, and that’s why I don’t think the beach boys tune undermines the ski sequence because that is the gag: Bond is surfing on snow. Without the slide whistle the jump is a better stunt, without the music it’s just Bond on a ski.

I get you, @mtm - admittedly I'm not really a fan of snowboarding so perhaps the sequence, irrespective of the music choice, was not going to impress me anyway!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,050
    Great points and discussion! The Dove swings from a vine down to the podium and lands on the stage.

The Klebbie for worst undermining of a stunt or sequence goes to "slide whistle from TMWTGG" which received 16 votes. The remaining votes look like this:
      [
    *] Tarzan Yell from OP received 9 votes
    [*] Breaking the fourth wall from OHMSS received 1 vote
    [*] California Girls during AVTAK received 8 votes
    [*] 3 ticks become 7 from GF received 0 votes

Lets stick with the Klebbies and look worst character adaption from the novel to the screen. Our man Bond was on the pages of a novel before he took to the screen. He was successfully morphed into the character we have seen for many years. Some of the other regular characters of the franchise have not been as successfully adapted for the big screen. Lets dive in and look at some characters who have not been successfully brought to the big screen:
    • Felix Leiter...in the films Felix was a counterpart to Bond. Not his servant or the man that fixes all Bond's problem. He's also failed to be played by the same actor for a large chunk of the series.
    • Q...in the films he morphed in some comic relief always bickering with Bond. In the Fleming novels this character was rather serious and to my memory didn't engage Bond. He also never came out into the field to assist Bond or equip him.
    • Rene Mathis...one of Bond's first allies. Mathis was another strong character. In the books Mathis was always on the side of the good guys, in the films his loyalty and story took a different direction
    • Moneypenny...In the books she is not heavily featured. Does having her lust after Bond play well? Was this an improvement on Fleming?
    • Tanner...non existent in the early films. In the books he was the buffer between Bond and M. Described as Bond's best friend in the service, he wasn't seen on screen till 1974. He's never appeared as someone Bond is fond of and recently has been seen as M's lackey.

Time for the esteemed academy to vote. Which Fleming character has been the worst adapted character?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,527
    Tanner for sure. Kitchen was great, everyone before him I thought kind of just faded into the background, and Kinnear IMO is the greatest miscast in the entire franchise. Especially tragic because Kinnear is such a good actor by all accounts. Tanner is meant to be Bond's best friend in the service, and Kinnear (due to the writing, of course) turned him into a little rat for M.

Leiter has had some bad incarnations but also some incredible incarnations (Lord, Hedison, Wright).
    Q, same. Boothroyd in the early films, Desmond is of course a classic, and I even thought Cleese was somehow Flemingesque in a way, when he wasn't comic relief (which was, of course, most of the time). Maybe it was just his look. Wishaw brings a fantastic dryness to the role. It could be argued that Q was the biggest departure from Fleming, if that's what we're voting for here, but on the grounds of whether the character was successfully brought to the big screen, Q is a big win.
    Mathis, Giannini is fantastic to watch. Maybe the best character adaption from novel to film. Tragic that he died in QoS.
    Moneypenny, fantastic all the way through, except the Dalton years where she felt more like a Loelia Ponsonby type character (younger, I guess). I liked what they did with the character in Skyfall, maybe the minority there.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That's a good assessment, @NickTwentyTwo. And I'm good with Moneypenny in Skyfall as well.

Tanner. Which lends itself to ask why didn't Sir James Moloney and Loelia Ponsonby appear on screen to date.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 2,899
    Definitely Tanner. The films have never shown Tanner as Bond's closest ally in the service. Felix has rarely been well adapted (he's supposed to be more humorous, warm, and wisecracking than Bond) but at least the films have shown him as Bond's friend.

Q never existed in the novels, unless you regard the Armourer as the head of Q Branch, but there is no evidence for that in the books. In Maibaum's first draft of TMWTGG he named the armorer "Boothroyd" but this was changed to "Colthorpe" after Desmond Llewellyn objected.

Moneypenny didn't become prominent in the books until Thunderball, since Bond had usually flirted with the Double-O section's secretary. The films simplified matters by having just one flirty secretary. I wasn't crazy about how Mathis was handled in the last stretch of CR, but he did play a worthy role in QOS--worthy enough to make one regret he won't return in future films.

Sir James Moloney could have easily been introduced in Skyfall. A missed opportunity.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,527
    Blofeld might have been my runner up if he were included; his stories in the novels were just epic, and YOLT as the end was just bananas, in the best way possible. The vast difference between his novel appearances vs. his film appearances might have done it for me, despite his sometimes great, sometimes iconic appearances in the films.
    Savalas, though... I don't know. Would have been tough. And I liked Waltz a ton as well.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Blofeld might have been my runner up if he were included; his stories in the novels were just epic, and YOLT as the end was just bananas, in the best way possible. The vast difference between his novel appearances vs. his film appearances might have done it for me, despite his sometimes great, sometimes iconic appearances in the films.
    Savalas, though... I don't know. Would have been tough. And I liked Waltz a ton as well.

I was tempted to put Blofeld in the mix, but once I had mostly allies I decided to keep going with it. Maybe a future category for the villain side. Although I think there are fewer missteps with the bad guys and the adaption of the character to the screen.
    thedove wrote: »

I was tempted to put Blofeld in the mix, but once I had mostly allies I decided to keep going with it. Maybe a future category for the villain side. Although I think there are fewer missteps with the bad guys and the adaption of the character to the screen.

Agreed about fewer villainous missteps; I like the noms you chose!
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    I have to go with Tanner on this one. Kinnear is a very solid actor, but the way he's written/directed (particularly in Spectre) makes him out to be this bumbling middleman who seems to be out of the loop on certain things he shouldn't be out of the loop on at all.
    mtm wrote:

mtm wrote:

You appear to be descending into the condescending comments again @mtm
    One of the many wonderful elements of being a Bond fan is we all have differing opinions of the same character and film. You constantly push yours forward as if it's the only the films should be viewed. Being passionate and coming across as arrogant are two different things my friend.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @LeonardPine, fully agree about the QOS car chase. I think it's editing is very skillfully done. Especially love those opening shots of the lake and the Aston. Love how the music and sound are incorporated so well too.

Now, on to the next Klebbie. I really like Mathis. In QOS especially he's such a warm and wise presence. I felt sorry to see him die. In CR he's good too, but I don't like how they make you think this esteemed Fleming character might be a traitor. Still though, Giancarlo Giannini is a fantastic actor and always a joy to watch.

Q and Moneypenny's extended roles have become such likeable familiar additions, especially in the previous timeline, I can't see them receiving any bad comments here really. Certainly not from me anyway. Love them both.

It's true Leiter could have been treated better, though some of them were quite effective and at the very least we've got to see Bond's loyalty towards his best friend in Tim's determined performance in LTK. I suppose that's something.

Tanner, unfortunately, has had even worse treatments. Only Michael Kitchen does a good job and he's only in GE and TWINE. Since then we've had the dreaded bore that is Rory Kinnear. Already in three episodes and he doesn't look like leaving. Oh and there is also that buffoonish James Villiers performance in FYEO. Yes, this Klebbie must go to poor old Bill.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 631
    I’m in agreement with mainstream opinion here, Tanner.

Kitchen’s quip about the ‘evil queen of numbers’ is one of the highlights of the whole of GE for me, just a little human moment about the fear we all have of making a derogatory comment about the boss while the boss is standing right behind us. A nice down-to-earth moment that I really like,

But other than that, Tanner’s wasted. Rory Kinnear might well be a fine Shakespearian actor for all I know but In Craig’s films he’s a spam-faced lump of wood.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,266
    mtm wrote:

mtm wrote:

You appear to be descending into the condescending comments again @mtm
    One of the many wonderful elements of being a Bond fan is we all have differing opinions of the same character and film. You constantly push yours forward as if it's the only the films should be viewed. Being passionate and coming across as arrogant are two different things my friend.

I would say that if you look back at your post I’m responding to you stated your opinions as fact (“ this is just a cheap gag, that serves no purpose“, ” AVTAK required no such humour in the PTS”), I just followed your lead in this one instance. If you want to convince me that CR is as light-hearted as AVTAK then try and talk about it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I’d have to do with Leiter on this one, as I think he quite often fails to live up to his potential. Sometimes he does, but I usually there’s nothing to him. I like Wright as Leiter, even if he seems to me a bit more Raymond Chandler than Fleming.

Tanner seems fine to me. He’s not Bond’s mate Bill from the books, but is that really all that fascinating an idea? Bond having a bacon roll in the canteen and gossiping with Bill? Otherwise I can’t really remember much about his character in the books that makes him seem hugely hard done by. The biggest misstep was making him an officious arse in FYEO I guess.
    Am I right in thinking there have been four Tanners onscreen?

The other characters have all actually been expanded and improved from Fleming I think.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Lord, Hedison, Wright, Casey, are the best versions of Leiter. I'm baffled as to why he hasn't been played by a recurring actor very much. I don't mind the other incarnations of him actually, even if they don't exactly come across like Bond's equal.

I go for Tanner, then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lord, Hedison, Wright, Casey, are the best versions of Leiter. I'm baffled as to why he hasn't been played by a recurring actor very much.

Yeah agreed on both counts there. I didn't think Lord was amazing but was decent enough to bring back: was he too busy with Hawaii Five O or something?
    I thought Casey was better than most in suggesting a bit of Felix's 'easy charm' and I'd have liked to have seen him again. Hedison was probably the one I'd call the best as he's just got a bit of natural likeable charisma about him, even though he had a pretty thankless role (he spends half the film on the phone! :) Then he comes back for LTK and ends the film chatting to James... on the phone!).
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Lord, Hedison, Wright, Casey, are the best versions of Leiter. I'm baffled as to why he hasn't been played by a recurring actor very much.

Yeah agreed on both counts there. I didn't think Lord was amazing but was decent enough to bring back: was he too busy with Hawaii Five O or something?
    I thought Casey was better than most in suggesting a bit of Felix's 'easy charm' and I'd have liked to have seen him again. Hedison was probably the one I'd call the best as he's just got a bit of natural likeable charisma about him, even though he had a pretty thankless role (he spends half the film on the phone! :) Then he comes back for LTK and ends the film chatting to James... on the phone!).

Good points all round. I read that Lord asked for more money to come back and wanted to be on par with Connery. Not sure where I got that from now, though.

I like all of them a lot, but I'm really into Wright's portrayal at the moment. He's pretty much the only thing I'm looking forward to about NTTD.
    Tanner is probably the most obvious choice here but to be honest, the inconsistencies surrounding Leiter in the films have always bothered me that little bit more as he's usually far more involved in the stories he appears in which makes the different portrayals more noticeable. I'm glad they got it right with Wright for the Craig era.

Going with Felix Leiter, here.