And the Klebbie for worst/most illogical gadget used by James Bond....page 140

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Dr No and it's not even close. The gulf in class between that first film and From Russia With Love is absolutely massive.

The rest are decent enough. I really like Kamen's score especially - energetic and muscular action scoring.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    I FREAKIN' LUV FYEO (including Make It Last Night) and GE; LTK is a showcase of cold professionality by Kamen and has both my fav song (Gladys Knight's title theme is an awesome reowrking of Goldfinger) and my least one (Wedding Party. Ick.) on all the Bond series.I couldn't care less for SP: it's so unpersonal I can't even comment on it.

It's DN despite its several inspired moments (Kingston Calypso is one of the bounciest and funniest tunes on all the saga).

But, as many people say, NSNA is a poor excuse for soundtrack with only the two songs and Jealousy bringing something minimally listenable. Still, it doesn't spoil the film for me: I still prefer it to TB. That said, when I see Michel Legrand credited on a film, or TV show, I always tirn on my internal alarm system (he was awesome at scoring cartoons, I'll bring him that).
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    [Repeated post. Moooooove, moooooove, nothing to see heeeeere, thank youuuuu]

I think most of them are pretty good. FYEO is literally a Rocky-Bond score so it works, and I love parts of SP. DN gave us the Bond theme, and it's use of it is really good. The soundtrack which ruins a film is without a doubt GE.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Admittedly some incidental music in FYEO is not good, other than that I think score is great especially when listening in isolation. I sometimes listen to the score when in the gym, though I am a fan of Conti's Rocky scores.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I think most of them are pretty good. FYEO is literally a Rocky-Bond score so it works.

Right. After Bond kicks Loque off the cliff, Glen should have told Moore to dance around with his arms in the air, fist-pumping to a variation of the Rocky Theme.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Admittedly some incidental music in FYEO is not good, other than that I think score is great especially when listening in isolation. I sometimes listen to the score when in the gym, though I am a fan of Conti's Rocky scores.

When I'm skiing I want to hum OHMSS to myself, but it's always Runaway that my brain produces :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »

When I'm skiing I want to hum OHMSS to myself, but it's always Runaway that my brain produces :)

Runaway is such a great track, and a great scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do like the way it becomes sort of bigger and more desperate-sounding, with more strings coming in in the second half.
    That and 'A Drive In The Country' really make their respective action scenes more exciting and punchy. The way the Bond theme comes in just as Bond starts to outwit the other drivers and make the car chase go his way is perfectly triumphant.
    I do like the way it becomes sort of bigger and more desperate-sounding, with more strings coming in in the second half.
    That and 'A Drive In The Country' really make their respective action scenes more exciting and punchy. The way the Bond theme comes in just as Bond starts to outwit the other drivers and make the car chase go his way is perfectly triumphant.

That's it exactly the longer the track goes on the more it builds, works well with the action. John Barry is the undisputed great we all know that though the odd variation in score in the Bond series is welcome it offers something new and different.
    Submarine
    is another track from FYEO that has a good build up (listening to it now).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,047
    SaintMark wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    FYEO is complete and utter garbage with the exception of the gunbarrel. It ruins the film for me. So my vote goes to that.
    I’ve said virtually the same; the score almost makes the film unwatchable

exaggerate much?

Not in the least...

On top of this, while I welcomed the return to a more serious tone, the film is a bit to lethargic and even though Bond shuns her advances , the Bibi storyline is cringe worthy
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I rather like the DN score and it was considered good enough that some of it was reused in FRWL.

I nominate SP because it's so regurgitated. I don't think it was all Newman's fault and i really like his score for SF.

Other than that it would have been GE but although a lot of it is irksome, it does have a few good themes in it.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great discussion on this round of voting. I really think musical tastes are very personal and seem to be bring out opinions. All nominees have multiple votes and there is a real fight for second worst. I would like to announce...oh wait someone else is coming on stage:

The Sotheby's auctioneer comes to the stage. "Any more?" Votes that is! :) Do any other academy members wish to vote?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Revelator wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    One mans garbage is another ones treasure, I really enjoy the FYEO soundtrack very recognizable, you play any track from the Craig era and I probably cannot place it with the correct movie.

Exactly. Conti knew how to write rousing themes ("Runaway, "A Drive in the Country," "Melina's Revenge") with strong rhythms and memorable melodies. If some folks don't like disco or funk that's their loss, but those genres are no more "dated" than any form of music that's no longer current. A Gen Z kid watching Goldfinger would undoubtedly find its score "dated" too.

But disco was already dated by 1981. Someone forget to tell Conti that. ;-)
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Conti is a genius. My last word on the matter.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

With his FYEO score confirming that no one is perfect . 😏
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    FYEO is superb. “Runaway” is as excellent as any other Bond track.
    talos7 wrote: »

With his FYEO score confirming that no one is perfect . 😏

Ha. Touche.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,259
    I rather like the DN score and it was considered good enough that some of it was reused in FRWL.

So it's good to reuse stuff if it's good.
    I nominate SP because it's so regurgitated. I don't think it was all Newman's fault and i really like his score for SF.

So it's bad to reuse stuff if it's good.

He didn't say that it was fine to reuse the score in FRWL, just that it was deemed good enough to do so. So, if someone claimed that the SF score was rubbish, it would be legitimate to respond that it was considered good enough to reuse in SP, even if you don't condone its reuse.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He didn't say that it was fine to reuse the score in FRWL, just that it was deemed good enough to do so. So, if someone claimed that the SF score was rubbish, it would be legitimate to respond that it was considered good enough to reuse in SP, even if you don't condone its reuse.

So it's a good score then! :)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thomas Newman for the rather bland and uninspired Spectre. I don’t really remember that much about the score for SP – and that pretty much sums it up!

My second choice would have been DN. However, having a limited budget and not quite knowing how to “define” Bond yet, I’ll forgive any shortcomings in Norman’s score. In general, I tend to give DN a break in all matters when comparing it to the movies that followed, but at least there are musical moments in the score (for better and for worse) that I can recall easily.

A great movie score (IMO) is one that you will enjoy listening to even on those occasions when you don’t have the time to actually watch the movie itself. When I listen to the score for OHMSS, for example, I find myself literally replaying the movie – scene by scene – in my head. I can’t say the same about SP. But then again, I don’t rank the movie – SP – that highly either. So, I’m biased in that regard.

Well, I'm not keen on the SF one either. I was just making the point that if you were, then you could still disapprove of its reuse in SP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,259

Well, I'm not keen on the SF one either. I was just making the point that if you were, then you could still disapprove of its reuse in SP.

I just disagree with the idea that music gets worse if you hear it a second time. If Skyfall was deemed good enough to repeat then.. it was good. Did the Bond theme get worse when we heard it again? I doubt you'd find many folks around here saying so.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    My second choice would have been DN. However, having a limited budget and not quite knowing how to “define” Bond yet, I’ll forgive any shortcomings in Norman’s score.

I'd say that film music had been around for a few decades up to this point though: Adam and Connery and Young etc. all managed to do good jobs on their own terms regardless of whether Bond had been defined previously. Sure, they got better in later films, but they were still very good at filmmaking right here. I'm not judging it against other Bond film scores: just other films scores. It's not a very good one.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Even Barry reused themes. His 007 theme sounds different with each movie, which is why it's widely accepted by fans. Even in FRWL the tracks '007' and '007 Takes The Lektor' contains the 007 theme, but the latter is more Bombastic. But for an experienced Composer like Newman to just Copy & Paste under the Supervision of a World-Class Director like Mendes is quite alarming....which makes me question Mendes' knowledge of Bond Music.

I consider film scores to be like desserts. After the movie, it's something to fall back on for months, till news starts surfacing concerning the next installment.

Well, am so happy for Zimmer & Marr.....I dare say when their score gets released, SP's score might fall even deeper into 'Worst Bond Score'.
    Well, maybe yes. I suppose I don't think there has to be consistency to people's reactions necessarily. Much of this is beyond logic, especially when it comes to music. I don't get the same emotional reaction listening to the Close Encounters theme on the touchpad in MR as I do when watching it in Spielberg! I'm being facetious, but you get what I mean.

I happen to think music can really lift a film, even if that film is mediocre. For whatever reason, possibly beyond our ability to explain, SP and its score really doesn't inspire many of us.
    When I said 'maybe', I meant, that maybe you are right in bringing up your last point. Not that maybe the Bond theme got worse.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Even Barry reused themes. His 007 theme sounds different with each movie, which is why it's widely accepted by fans. Even in FRWL the tracks '007' and '007 Takes The Lektor' contains the 007 theme, but the latter is more Bombastic. But for an experienced Composer like Newman to just Copy & Paste under the Supervision of a World-Class Director like Mendes is quite alarming....which makes me question Mendes' knowledge of Bond Music.

To be fair though, when you see quite a few sequels you will get music very similar to the first instalment, often with the same themes etc. Most superhero sequels etc are like that. It's an approach.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

To be fair though, when you see quite a few sequels you will get music very similar to the first instalment, often with the same themes etc. Most superhero sequels etc are like that. It's an approach.

Yeah, Sure....but with some Revamps here & there. To be fair to Newman, he himself even did it in SP with the 'Westminster Bridge' track which is SF's 'The Moors' but a bit more Rock-like and almost Metallic sound at times, with the Bond theme from THUNDERBALL and a few of Newman's signature atmospheric sound around it....especially, towards the track's ending.

Newman should have done more of this with the tracks he refused from SF.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Where the musical score of DN is used in FRWL (and not credited to Monty Norman), I really expect that's John Barry's. That's why he was brought in, Norman's scoring work was deemed unusable.

I also credit the James Bond Theme 90% or more to John Barry. It's criminal he's formally given no credit for it.