And the Bondie and Klebbie for PTS in the Lazenby/Dalton films...page 133

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    LALD it is.
    LALD by miles. It feels so Bondian. I cannot imagine Bourne, McClane etc escaping by walking across the backs of lined-up carnivores.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's a whitewash!
    LALD, is the best of that list! Great sequence.
    I would have added LTKs speargunning the seaplane to escape the underwater villains. One of the best and exciting escapes from Bond!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    It's a whitewash!

Not quite, I voted for FYEO. ;)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Equivocally it's Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service for me. I personally have always seen Bond (particularly in the books) as having a macgyver-esque quality to him and it's this moment which personifies this trait, IMO. While the other stunts listed are definitely of note, to me this is the only one that evokes the essence of Fleming's Bond and I love the makeshift quality of his escape.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That's not really what date rape is.
    'The perpetrator may use physical or psychological intimidation to force a victim to have sex against their will'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_rape
    Bond exploits her psychologically to get her into bed. If she believed she had a choice she wouldn't, but she doesn't believe that it's up to her. It's psychological intimidation.

Now this is where your and my interpretation differ the most: I say she saw it coming and saw it as a way out away from Mr. Big whom she definately didn''t want to marry. Those who've had sex without consent ordinarily feel dirty (even if they 'went along, but didn't really want to) and certainly don't ask for another round. So I don't believe she wouldn't. Maybe she wasn't quite prepared for it at that particular moment. I find the way Bond visits Severine far more disturbing.

Anyway, it's done and dusted.

For me the OHMSS escape is the most daring (and scary) of the ones offered. Using your pockets as (no doubt) slippery gloves to safe yourself by climbing a moving cable is scary as can be to me, considering the drop.

LALD should get an honourable mention though, as the fascinating escape from Dr. No, albeit not on the list. Then again, Bond has some increadably daring escapes!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,976
    Of these, I vote for FYEO, because it's closest to Fleming.

But what's missing is LTK. The underwater-to-water skiing-to-seaplane is one of the best escape scenes in the series.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Crocs in a line for me, please!
    Wow, another brave stuntman! Be careful..

I'd actually have to vote for LALD, but with so many votes already there I go with GE because I like how it's combined with the triangulation which is successful, but not completely. OHMSS provides several minutes of an enjoyable scene, TLD has one of my favourite fight scenes, and FYEO.. great adventure
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 7,500
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    LALD, is the best of that list! Great sequence.
    I would have added LTKs speargunning the seaplane to escape the underwater villains. One of the best and exciting escapes from Bond!

True. That would have been a serious competitor.

The only argument I can find against its inclusion here, is that Bond was technically never captured to begin with.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I also like the slick way Brosnan's Bond escapes the Swiss Bank in TWINE....all to David Arnold's brilliant rendition of the Bond theme. I think Brosnan is the Bond with the most stylish escape scenes.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I also like the slick way Brosnan's Bond escapes the Swiss Bank in TWINE....all to David Arnold's brilliant rendition of the Bond theme. I think Brosnan is the Bond with the most stylish escape scenes.

That might be another competition: most stylish escape! ;-)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

That might be another competition: most stylish escape! ;-)

Yeah, it could easily be :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That's not really what date rape is.
    'The perpetrator may use physical or psychological intimidation to force a victim to have sex against their will'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_rape
    Bond exploits her psychologically to get her into bed. If she believed she had a choice she wouldn't, but she doesn't believe that it's up to her. It's psychological intimidation.

Now this is where your and my interpretation differ the most: I say she saw it coming and saw it as a way out away from Mr. Big whom she definately didn''t want to marry. Those who've had sex without consent ordinarily feel dirty (even if they 'went along, but didn't really want to) and certainly don't ask for another round. So I don't believe she wouldn't.

Tricking a young and impressionable person half your age into sex is okay if they say they liked it afterwards? Let's just say we operate in different moral worlds!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »

But what's missing is LTK. The underwater-to-water skiing-to-seaplane is one of the best escape scenes in the series.

That is wonderful. It's weird though: it's such a good idea that I sort of feel like it should make more of an impression than it does in the movie. It should be one of the iconic Bond moments but somehow it isn't... is it the direction or editing or music or something?
    My vote is for Bond's escape from the cable-car machinery room in OHMSS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My vote is for Bond's escape from the cable-car machinery room in OHMSS.

Same, but the LALD scene is also right up there.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great discussion here and some interesting thoughts and point raised. I was considering doing a epic escape which I think would then allow us to consider Bond escaping in TB, OHMSS and LTK along with TND and the escape of Wei Lin and Bond.

Brosnan did always look unflappable even when escaping. He is up there with Moore in my opinion.
    Before this one is called on account of overpraise for the LALD croc escape, let me get in a few thoughts.

While that is a fun and creative escape, let's be honest, it's more about luck than anything else. The crocs just line up in the right position to allow Bond to escape and it's rather, as someone else said, effortless without a wrinkle in his clothes or a hair out of place and less dangerous than it should've seemed. Is it because of that behind-the-scenes outtake where Ross Kananga's shoe get nipped by one of the crocs that helps? What I really liked in that scene is when Bond tries to use the magnet watch to get to the canoe that's tethered. That would've been a copout, but also, how would a canoe have helped Bond against crocs? Also factor in the Batman '66 scenario of the villains leaving before knowing the heroes are dead.

I'd take the OHMSS escape behind my pick. Bond is thrown in a freezing location, no gadgets and just ingenuity. The editing really helps here as Bond has to struggle to try and escape here.

My vote is for FYEO, a film I don't even like that much. It's the overall danger of that scenario. Not just Bond, but his companion tied together and pulled over razor-sharp coral with sharks in the water attracted to the blood. There's also the potential of drowning if that doesn't get them first or being run down by Kristatos and his minions' boat. It's Bond having to again use no gadgets, just ingenuity and resourcefulness to get them out of it. Moore Bond actually gets injured and has a tough time. The only downside is the too convenient air tanks at the archeological sight, but that's minor as the tough work was behind them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,945
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Also factor in the Batman '66 scenario of the villains leaving before knowing the heroes are dead.

I'd take the OHMSS escape behind my pick. Bond is thrown in a freezing location, no gadgets and just ingenuity. The editing really helps here as Bond has to struggle to try and escape here.

I think when you're talking Batman villains, you have to acknowledge that Blofeld was perhaps not thinking hugely clearly when he locked the commando-fit secret agent in a room with a massive open hole in the wall and a cable leading through it! :) Bond didn't have to be very ingenious to figure out how to escape from there :D

Plus I think that one's always slightly compromised by the shot at the end when he see him on the pylon on top of the cable car and how he's made an absolutely impossible jump to where he ends up!
    LALD for me. Sir George's music helps.

• jabalijabali Los Angeles
    LALD is great, but I'll go with OHMSS for this one.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

Plus I think that one's always slightly compromised by the shot at the end when he see him on the pylon on top of the cable car and how he's made an absolutely impossible jump to where he ends up!

Yes, the end of the OHMSS sequence is a bit a downer. Absoultely impossible. (Yes, a lot in Bond movies wouldn't work in reality but OHMSS has a Special tension because it feels much more real in general...and this cut is distracting. Anyway, a great escape Scene and I think it would deserve to win here.

Nevertheless, the croc scene is my personal favourite of These five moments. I love this LALD moment. The moment when the first croc walks on his Little Island we can really feel the danger and the stunt is awesome because they always used real animals.

I love all shark scenes in the Bond movies but the one in FYEO isn't as exciting (for me) as it should be. Maybe because the Bondgirl couldn't be filmed under water...and the unbelievable ending doesn't help: Bleeding Bond and and Melina are never harmed by sharks but the henchman (not bleeding) is killed immediately.

I like the score during the prison fight in TLD but it has no chance compared to LALD and OHMSS.

Did I understand it right? You mean the GE escape out of the train? It is a good scene but can't win here.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Yes you got the right scene from GE. I like some of the touches here the fact that while Bond is trying to get them out Natalya is doing her computer work. We have the villain saying he left Bond the same 6 minutes Bond had left him. Nice interplay between Bond and Natalya too. It might not be in the league of these others in terms of danger, it has several things going for it.
    The GE scene is let down by Bond using an all-too-convenient laser watch to bail them out. Did they even introduce that gadget, or was it like the LALD watch that transforms into a buzz saw, another feature we didn't know about?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    The GE scene is let down by Bond using an all-too-convenient laser watch to bail them out. Did they even introduce that gadget, or was it like the LALD watch that transforms into a buzz saw, another feature we didn't know about?

Yeah, the buzzsaw watch is at least really cool (I love a gadget where the form of the object actually suits the new purpose Q has given it: the bezel becomes a rotating saw blade- genius!). The laser watch is just a laser stuck onto something, it's pretty dull (and stealing a gadget from NSNA isn't a strong move). Plus it has a weirdly stretchy laser beam!
    :)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 7,500
    Delete
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Yeah, I think the Wavekrest escape is easily the best escape in the series. The components of the getaway are set up clearly and elegantly, but you would never be able to see it coming. And Kamen really shines in this moment.

But rather than moan and not vote, I'll say LALD is a solid second. Like LTK, it offers a satisfying and surprising solution to the question mark the viewer has over his head.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,945

Yeah, I think the Wavekrest escape is easily the best escape in the series. The components of the getaway are set up clearly and elegantly, but you would never be able to see it coming. And Kamen really shines in this moment.

But rather than moan and not vote, I'll say LALD is a solid second. Like LTK, it offers a satisfying and surprising solution to the question mark the viewer has over his head.

Yeah that's a good point. I think half of the value of Bond (and a proper moment where the Bond theme kicks in) is that he thinks laterally in an action situation and sees a way where no-one else would: a harpoon becomes a water-ski, a tank becomes a pursuit vehicle in a a city, a plane with no wings can become a large skidoo, crocodiles become stepping stones, a passenger in a jet's ejector seat can become a missile to take out an enemy jet etc. I like it when he does something unexpected and crazy and makes it work. Which is why some of the ones on the list don't appeal quite as much: in OHMSS for example how else is he going to escape other than through the huge great hole in the wall? :D It's not very inventive.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

This sequence is the counter-example for those who disparage Glen as director.

The man knows how to put together an action sequence, because of all of his Bond experience in the '60s. And the underwater scenes do not drag.

(And I really like, AVTAK aside, how Glen brought more Fleming back to Bond.)