And the Bondie for best actor as a Henchman...page 126

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tanya Roberts can do no wrong in my eyes.

Kara improves over the course of the film and is excluded for...
    Kara: 'We're free'.
    Bond : 'Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan. '
    I always find that hilarious.

Goodnight is a walking talking plot device though is likable.

Kissy is well suited to the film she is in, though admittedly given little to do though in no way am I irritated by her character.

Jinx wins and is easily the worst, the majority of her scenes are terrible.

• edited May 2020 Posts: 6,669
    Yep, Jinx. Cringeworthy, to say the least. Halle Berry is way overrated.

Yo Momma!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    @thedove are we voting for the performance of the actress or the character by itself?

Performance of the actress.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I must admit that I find it very difficult to separate my opinion about 1) their acting performances, 2) their character roles as written and 3) any feelings I may have towards the actress. And since I have many *impure* (😊) thoughts concerning Halle Berry, Mie Hama and (especially) Maryam d’Abo, this question is very tough. But since we are basing this on only the first, my vote would be for Tanya Roberts. I’ve always found her performance in AVTAK to be just a little over the top (“JAMES….J-A-M-E-S!!!).

That said, I can see why many of you are voting for Mie Hama. Ms. Hama doesn’t add anything to her role in YOLT, and despite that white bikini, she is a virtual non-entity. It is telling that in the BOND 50 Box set, the blu-Ray slot for YOLT contains a picture of Akiko Wakabayashi and not her.

Discovered by Toho while working as a Bus Conductor, Ms. Hama actually had a decent film career, and was labelled as the Japanese Brigitte Bardot by Playboy magazine. As with many “foreign” actresses of this era, she was dubbed in most of her movies that I’ve seen (King Kong v Godzilla, King Kong Escapes), so it’s hard to completely judge her as an actress (overall).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/movies/going-from-bond-girl-to-a-normal-life.html

She does not, however, have me covering my ears in pain (JAMES! …J-A-M-E-S!!!...DON” T LEAVE ME JAMES!!!).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is some pretty impressive screaming though, she really goes for it :)

Yes, agreed: Wakabayashi leaves a much bigger impression- pretty much everyone prefers her in that film, don’t they?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    Yep, Jinx. Cringeworthy, to say the least. Halle Berry is way overrated.

Yo Momma!

Agreed.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The nomination from the DRP goes to Tanya Roberts

Nic-Cage-Not-the-bees.gif
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    @thedove are we voting for the performance of the actress or the character by itself?

Performance of the actress.

In that case I will have to go for Halle. Not the worst actress on this list, but she should be remembered as one of the best Bond girls, instead Halle gives a really iffy performance for what should be a good character. Others have nothing to do, so I don't blame their performances.
    Britt Ekland as Mary Goodnight in The Man with the Golden Gun
  • I admit to being surprised by the presence of Kara, as she is a Bond Girl that I really like.

Otherwise, my vote goes to Tanya Roberts. A rather difficult choice between her and Jinx.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I'm glad my addition of Maryam is adding some discussion to the list. I find her acting rather bland but maybe that's the character. Now I know how the academy members have such a hard time with voting! LOL!

I just re-watched DAD with the watch along and I found Halle to be not as bad as people paint her out to be. She handles herself well in the action scenes.

I would go with Tanya Roberts for AVTAK. Maybe the character was poorly written but she adds nothing to it. The audience should feel sympathy for her but I don't think we ever do. Maybe the screams for James undermines this.

My vote is Tanya Roberts in AVTAK.
  • I will agree that performance-wise, Tanya's screams take the award over Mie's ... understated presence. I would suggest that in this case, her award should not be called a Bondie, but rather a JAAAAAAAAAAAMES!
    thedove wrote: »
    I'm glad my addition of Maryam is adding some discussion to the list. I find her acting rather bland but maybe that's the character. Now I know how the academy members have such a hard time with voting! LOL!

I just re-watched DAD with the watch along and I found Halle to be not as bad as people paint her out to be. She handles herself well in the action scenes.

I would go with Tanya Roberts for AVTAK. Maybe the character was poorly written but she adds nothing to it. The audience should feel sympathy for her but I don't think we ever do. Maybe the screams for James undermines this.

My vote is Tanya Roberts in AVTAK.

I agree with you about Jinx.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Can I suggest a new poll for best scene/score combo?
    1. Goldfinger - Laser scene
    2. Thunderball - Fiona bites the bullet
    3. YOLT - PTS space capsule
    4. OHMSS - Bond escapes from Piz Gloria
    5. TMWTGG - PTS Scaramanga’s fun house
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,518
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

I'd petition to add GE - Bond Meets Janus w/ Whispering Shadows (Whispers/Two Faced)

The tension, the call back to the Facility, the melancholic, intriguing piano melody.
    The Laser scene from Goldfinger would get my vote.
    mtm wrote: »
    Hmm. But the love story is reduced to 'INSERT MONTAGE HERE' and Tracy needs "a man to dominate her"?
    They're great scripts generally but I'm not sure these are the right things to praise.

The montage arrives after a brilliantly conceived sequence where Bond has to show Tracy he cares about her and doesn't simply want to date her to get information about Blofeld. The film weaves together Fleming's twin plot lines and gives the film's plot more coherence than the book. The montage itself is lovely.
    "She needs a man to dominate her" is obviously intended as a comedic line, since Tracy is never dominated (see Draco and Tracy's last conversation in the film, or in the limo, or anywhere). Bond himself doesn't even bother directly responding to the line.
    Might I suggest the following alternate tabulation:

Wade, Purvis and Haggis: 7 votes
    Maibaum and his various collaborators: 10 votes

The Bondie should go to Richard Maibaum for his career's worth of stellar work re-defining the Bond franchise.

Absolutely! I will pry the award from the grubby mitts of Purvis, Wade, and Haggis (sounds like an awful lawfirm) and place it on Maibaum's hallowed grave.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Revelator wrote: »
    Hmm. But the love story is reduced to 'INSERT MONTAGE HERE' and Tracy needs "a man to dominate her"?
    They're great scripts generally but I'm not sure these are the right things to praise.

The montage arrives after a brilliantly conceived sequence where Bond has to show Tracy he cares about her and doesn't simply want to date her to get information about Blofeld. The film weaves together Fleming's twin plot lines and gives the film's plot more coherence than the book. The montage itself is lovely.

It’s crap though. You don’t do a love story by simply writing ‘SHE FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIM HERE’. And the film is supposed to be about Bond falling in love. It’s an awful let down.

Whether the montage is lovely or not it has nothing to do with the writer.
    "She needs a man to dominate her" is obviously intended as a comedic line, since Tracy is never dominated (see Draco and Tracy's last conversation in the film, or in the limo, or anywhere). Bond himself doesn't even bother directly responding to the line.

It’s not a joke no, I’ve never been aware of anyone finding it to be so. I’d say it’s what happens.

It’s crap though. You don’t do a love story by simply writing ‘SHE FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIM HERE’. And the film is supposed to be about Bond falling in love. It’s an awful let down.

Whether the montage is lovely or not it has nothing to do with the writer.

It’s not a joke no, I’ve never been aware of anyone finding it to be so. I’d say it’s what happens.

The only thing I might disagree with here @mtm is that I don't believe OHMSS is primarily about Bond falling in love. The love between Bond and Tracy is a component of the story, but I wouldn't say it's a love story, and therefore I think it's fair that the love isn't as flushed out as in a story where it's the primary 'plot'.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

Good suggestion I will use it for a future post for the academy to consider! Wonderful choices by the way!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Sorry Tanya Roberts. Halle is over the top corny and cringy as Jinx, but at least it is entertaining. Tanya's 'James' shouts seriously takes away from my enjoyment of the last third of the film.

The montage is a short-hand way of showing the couple spending time together, and it works excellently for that purpose (that's the point of montage--to compress similar events!) You act as if it's the only love scene in the film, and that is obtuse. In fact it follows a scene where Bond has to prove his commitment to Tracy and is followed by a scene where Tracy admits she isn't sure if Bond loves her. None of those scenes are in the book, and the film does a more convincing job of showing the two gradually falling in love.

You might want to try watching the film with an audience. I've seen it twice in the theater and the line got a laugh each time. Even in 1969 the line would have seemed like old-fashioned machismo, and it's spoken that way.
    We have a tie! I will let the voting continue but only for the 2 actresses who are in a tie!

Halle Berry has received 8 votes
    Tanya Roberts has received 8 votes

Mie Hama received 5 votes
    Britt Ekland received 3 votes
    Maryam D'Abo received 0 votes.

So who is the worst actress in a Bond movie? Remember it's actress not the role. Who shall be deemed to be the worst actress in a Bond film?

Tanya Roberts
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 2,887
    Tanya Roberts. Halle Berry at least tried a little to make her character work. Her performance is often tentative but not stiff. Poor Tanya only came alive when she screaming "JAMES!!!"
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I never understand how Barbara Bach doesn't run away with these sorts of rankings.

Tanya screams too much, but delivers her lines like a human being. Halle can obviously act buy is given possibly the worst dialogue in the series.

Barbara looks like she's from the moon and trying to pass as an Earthling. Every intonation and facial expression is wrong, when any exists in the first place.
    I never understand how Barbara Bach doesn't run away with these sorts of rankings.

Tanya screams too much, but delivers her lines like a human being. Halle can obviously act buy is given possibly the worst dialogue in the series.

Barbara looks like she's from the moon and trying to pass as an Earthling. Every intonation and facial expression is wrong, when any exists in the first place.

Lol you’re not wrong about Bach at all
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,861

The montage is a short-hand way of showing the couple spending time together, and it works excellently for that purpose (that's the point of montage--to compress similar events!) You act as if it's the only love scene in the film, and that is obtuse.

What’s obtuse is not noticing that it moves from her hating the sight of him, him giving her an awful cheesy platitude, MONTAGE, she’s in love with him. That’s dreadful. They couldn’t be bothered to write her falling in love with him.
    Even 80’s buddy cop movies manage to write the characters slowly changing their opinions on one another, they don’t just flick a switch.

You might want to try watching the film with an audience. I've seen it twice in the theater and the line got a laugh each time. Even in 1969 the line would have seemed like old-fashioned machismo, and it's spoken that way.

Because it’s cringeworthy and out of date, yes. I watched Jurassic Park at a screening a couple of years ago and the scene with Goldblum laying down with his shirt open got a huge laugh, not because of anything intentional but because of a meme that was circulating at the time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes, I can’t entirely disagree with that. And yet I do find her quite charming for some reason. Can’t explain it! :)

It’s funny though, if I think of either of the main actresses from the previous film doing it (Ekland or Adams) it would be a lot better, I can’t deny.
    Ekland’s great actually, she really shouldn’t be nominated for this.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,399
    i gotta go with Stacey Sutton in A VIEW TO A KILL ... she literally brought nothing to the table that James probably couldn't have figured out on his own.. her terrible shrieking of "JAAYMZZ!" is the stuff that makes your head wanna explode Scanners style.. not to mention, she is so oblivious and stupid as to get snuck up on by a freakin' Blimp! :-O

the others are pretty bad i think mainly from a performance aspect, not so much how they were written as characters... but i could argue that Kara from The Living Daylights is probably right up there with Sutton in terms of uselessness - i mean, my god, how could she seriously get caught off guard by a mountain she was flying towards?? :)) plus her undying devotion to Koskov got a little annoying until she got woke lol.. but she didn't really annoy me or give me migraines the way Stacy did.. i think Stacy comes off as being too 'valley girl' to be believable as a geologist.. at least with Denise Richards as Christmas Jones, she still managed to sound convincing enough as a nuclear physicist, despite her shortcomings as an actress..