And the Klebbie for worst screen combo is...page 135

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    For me its a 3 way battle (sic!)
    TB, YOLT and OHMSS.
    Going to go with the Piz Gloria attack, mainly for one of the coolest Bond scenes of Laz sliding on the ice with machine gun!

That IS an awesome moment!
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    TB, YOLT and OHMSS.
    Going to go with the Piz Gloria attack, mainly for one of the coolest Bond scenes of Laz sliding on the ice with machine gun!

Exactly, might be an idea for a future Bondie?
    Tough choice between Piz Gloria and Liparus, but I will go with TSWLM. It definitely feels like the epic final battle to a Bond film which few have been able to touch since.
    Bond and Draco do a demolition of Piz Gloria from OHMSS
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    TB, YOLT and OHMSS.

Exactly, might be an idea for a future Bondie?

Okay I shall file it away for a future Bondie….Any thoughts on the category it fits into?
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    thedove wrote: »
    I sense controversy brewing here.

Good @thedove!! this thread should definitely be one of controversy and unexpected choices! There’s plenty of other threads on the community where serious comparison and discussion of all the Bond entries can take place!

My birdbrained colleague has tapped random numbers into a calculator whilst blindfold for several minutes and can confirm that 68% of people don’t agree with the nominations in 81% of categories in the Oscars, whilst correctly predicting the winner only 22% of the time, and I sincerely hope the Bondies will continue to match such impressive (independently verified) statistics! 👍
    The vote from the DRP this times goes to OHMSS (although we insist on holding a 24 hour boycott of this thread in protest at the absence of Moonraker) ☺️

Okay I shall file it away for a future Bondie….Any thoughts on the category it fits into?

Best Bond Slide .... up against Roger playing ice hockey, Sean sliding into Tiger’s office, Craig taking the quick way down the tube escalator?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The vote from the DRP this times goes to OHMSS (although we insist on holding a 24 hour boycott of this thread in protest at the absence of Moonraker) ☺️

Maybe we can vote for that one in the 'Best Use of Action Man Toys' category in future :)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    TB for me....till date no modern film has been able to create such an exciting underwater action sequence. Connery's performance, Barry's score & Young's direction....all Stellar stuffs.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Best Bond Slide .... up against Roger playing ice hockey, Sean sliding into Tiger’s office, Craig taking the quick way down the tube escalator?

Two moments of Brosnan come to mind:
    - GE: PTS escape out of the facility, even though he goes upwards.
    - TND: at Carver's press at the very end he dives onto something and drives it on his belly before rolling out of the building.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 631
    I really like the airfield battle at the end of TLD. And Moonraker’s is great too.

No one has suggested the oil rig battle from DAF :))

Anyway out of the nominees my vote goes to OHMSS. The battle is top quality but it also benefits from having the best pre-battle build-up, with Tracy delivering her wonderful poem to Blofeld to distract him, and the Swiss Air Force buzzing Draco’s helicopters, all adding to the tension. Love the whole thing really
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

Two moments of Brosnan come to mind:
    - GE: PTS escape out of the facility, even though he goes upwards.
    - TND: at Carver's press at the very end he dives onto something and drives it on his belly before rolling out of the building.

And in the SP PTS when the house is falling apart. GE, when the water is out of the lake and they slide to the “sink“.

Not a fan of the YOLT and TSWLM battles. They are alright but no highlight for me.
    I vote for OHMSS.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The OHMSS has some issues though. For example the blowing up of the cable car and the timing of Draco's countdown till when Blofeld and Bond jump out of Piz Gloria. But then YOLT has them swimming up a poisonous gas cave to escape. I suppose they all have their faults.

I was tempted to put Columbo and Bond raiding the warehouse and getting Locque but didn't feel the scope was big enough. Also just re-watched the TLD and forgot about the runway battle between Soviets and rebels. But I guess that says something that it wasn't memorable.
    I like TND's Battle as well....feels Sci-fi with the female Countdown voice, Stealth Ship & the electrifying & explosive action style....with David Arnold playing the Guitar riff of the Bond theme to go with the action.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Were any of these big battles in the novels? It's such a long time since I read them.. did Goldfinger and Thunderball have them?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    What, no space battle from Moonraker?

The nominees are all pretty good, actually. I have a sentimental favorite with Bond, Kerim Bey and the gypsies in FRWL ... but I have to go with Bond and the ninjas in the volcano lair from YOLT. What a lair! What a melee! Bad buys thrown through the air? Check! Ninjas descending into the volcano on ropes at breakneck speed? Check! Explosions aplenty? Check! PLUS: the lunatic white cat clawing at Blofeld's tunic, yowling the feline equivalent of "Let me the heck outta here!" I'm sorry, but the cat beats out every other proposed melee scene. YOLT for the win!

I haven’t been able to “unsee” that scene after it was pointed out to me several years ago. Poor cat, it was probably upset by all of the bright lights and loud noises on set. Of course, it could also have been angered – like Connery himself - by the lack of film residuals written into its’ contract! In any case, according to Taschen’s “The James Bond Archives” a second white cat had to be purchased by the production team when the first went missing (see figure 7.44 for the December 7th, 1966 memo). You’ll also note, that later on, after Blofeld shoots Mr. Osato, the cat vanishes (along with its’ film career probably).

This comes down to either TB, YOLT or OHMSS. I’ll give YOLT the nod here since the stunts are done “in-camera” and for the energetic action. Plus, I have a thing for seeing Mie Hama run around in a bikini 😊.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    Were any of these big battles in the novels? It's such a long time since I read them.. did Goldfinger and Thunderball have them?

Can't recall numbers for Goldfinger, but Thunderball was smaller scale certainly. Bond and Leiter led a team of about ten divers against Largo's dozen or so. And they never went back on board the Disco Volante, everything was fought underwater, including Domino killing Largo with the spear gun.

OHMSS was also relatively smaller. There was still a gun battle, but Bond wasn't heavily involved and left it within the same page as it starting - he was off the helicopter and straight after Blofeld on the bobsled if I recall correctly. He witnesses Piz Gloria exploding from the base of the mountain.
    For me, it's YOLT all the way. Come on : Ninjas rappelling at the speed of sound, katanas, rockets, all in one of the best Ken Adams designs ever. Nothing has come close, apart from the big battle in the Liparus from TSWLM.

For worst, I wish to nominate the big battle at the end of MR : astronauts sniping at each other, no dramatic flair at all, boring in one word.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Domino killing Largo underwater is what happens in NSNA.

My issue with OHMSS is that Bond seems to go missing for the best part of it. I still like the scene, but when I watched it at Christmas with an audience at the Prince Charles, it did seem to go down limply, with everyone watching the Bond theme playing while Tracy is fighting the guard, and no Bond in sight for too long. As soon as Lazenby is sliding on the ice the atmosphere in the cinema lifted.

Like others, I do feel that MR has been overlooked here. I understand all the criticisms of the film, despite me liking it a lot, but as a standalone sequence the space battle is ace.

Anyway, TB is my shout. Just about...
  • echoecho 007 in New York

My issue with OHMSS is that Bond seems to go missing for the best part of it. I still like the scene, but when I watched it at Christmas with an audience at the Prince Charles, it did seem to go down limply, with everyone watching the Bond theme playing while Tracy is fighting the guard, and no Bond in sight for too long. As soon as Lazenby is sliding on the ice the atmosphere in the cinema lifted.

Like others, I do feel that MR has been overlooked here. I understand all the criticisms of the film, despite me liking it a lot, but as a standalone sequence the space battle is ace.

Anyway, TB is my shout. Just about...

But that's awesome.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Fair enough. I suppose given she marries him, maybe it is totally appropriate. For the record, OHMSS is in my top 3, so I am not criticising.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,994
    mtm wrote: »

Can't recall numbers for Goldfinger, but Thunderball was smaller scale certainly. Bond and Leiter led a team of about ten divers against Largo's dozen or so. And they never went back on board the Disco Volante, everything was fought underwater, including Domino killing Largo with the spear gun.

OHMSS was also relatively smaller. There was still a gun battle, but Bond wasn't heavily involved and left it within the same page as it starting - he was off the helicopter and straight after Blofeld on the bobsled if I recall correctly. He witnesses Piz Gloria exploding from the base of the mountain.

Cool thanks. I guess as long as 007 turned up mob-handed it still counts as coming from the books.

Although that version of the Bond theme is just lifted straight from Dr No, so inherently terrible ;)
    Yeah, I think lifting that exact Bond theme from Dr.No might have been on purpose. Barry could have easily used the same rendition he used in OHMSS' Gunbarrel music. And also the title sequence had all Bond films & music from Connery's films were used in OHMSS, even a midget janitor had to whistle Goldfinger & we were also shown Gadgets from previous Bond films....all these in a bid to make the public accept Lazenby as Bond.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It's almost like Barry's saying, "Yeah, I wrote this theme." Why else would he put the DN theme in OHMSS, when he had complete creative control?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't think it was his choice, much like Newman in SP. I much prefer the full cue he wrote for the Piz Gloria sequence, personally. However, maybe it was decided that the film was too light on the Bond theme, or that its use would hammer home that the new Bond was still the old Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I think lifting that exact Bond theme from Dr.No might have been on purpose. Barry could have easily used the same rendition he used in OHMSS' Gunbarrel music. And also the title sequence had all Bond films & music from Connery's films were used in OHMSS, even a midget janitor had to whistle Goldfinger & we were also shown Gadgets from previous Bond films....all these in a bid to make the public accept Lazenby as Bond.

I hope one day they return to having a midget janitor whistling some previous Bond tune.
    Given that there’s a discussion about OP on another thread it occurs to me that no one has yet mentioned the melee battle in the Indian palace in OP ... not memorable enough I suppose?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think it was his choice, much like Newman in SP. I much prefer the full cue he wrote for the Piz Gloria sequence, personally.

Yeah I think it's much better too. I don't really like the '62 version popping up there, I don't think it works.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I hope one day they return to having a midget janitor whistling some previous Bond tune.

Serious?....Well, what impresses me more about OHMSS is, even with all the throwback, it still comes out as an original Bond film. Maybe something slicker like Bond 7's alarm from his watch belting out YKMN's tune in Bond 26 would suffice.

Since Craig has been very impressive like Connery, maybe EON out of slight anxiety of missing Craig, might transfer snippets of elements from Craig's Bond to Bond 7,maybe in his first outing alone....Even if Bond 7 is as good as Craig's Bond.