Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

omega-man-1.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The closing of the borders and lockdowns may feel a bit scary but they're effective and may prove successful in a relatively short amount of time.

NTTD has been postponed, not canceled. This Bond film will have a symbolical meaning for us all; it will come with added value.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    omega-man-1.jpg

The Omega Man (1971)!
    In addition to lead Charlton Heston it also starred Anthony Zerbe (LTK) as the leader of “The Family.”
    That movie gave me nightmares as a child. Lets hope that the current situation doesn't come to that!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Don't know if this is a nice thing to say....but I just wonder if this Virus thing is a sort of Wake-Up Call for EON to go back to releasing Bond films every 2yrs.
    Today, at work, the director of the sorting center gave us a speach about the measures that have been taken : all doors are open (except for the locker rooms, but that could change), today, I was able to leaver earlier so as to avoid the rush, hydro-alcoholic gel dispensers outside the main room, and most important, closure of the restaurant. We'll now have to eat home (not a problem for me, but for some others...). It's not going to get better before a long time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Nearly 1 billion children/students are now out of school due to the coronavirus. To be more precise, around 840 million kids/students are affected by nationwide school closures around the world.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    omega-man-1.jpg

The Omega Man (1971)!
    In addition to lead Charlton Heston it also starred Anthony Zerbe (LTK) as the leader of “The Family.”
    That movie gave me nightmares as a child. Lets hope that the current situation doesn't come to that!

First saw it in the theater in '71, aged 9. Gave me the willies for sure!

Have it on Blu-ray and spin it up at least once a year... A really terrific script -- Heston and (especially) Zerbe have reams of quotable lines -- is let down a bit by sometimes TV-quality direction, but parts of it are eerie as hell and the funky score by Ron Grainer (Doctor Who, The Prisoner) is awesome.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Coronavirus is a SARS based virus. It's actually SARS version 2.
    Covid-19 refers to the disease. “Co” refers to corona, “vi” to virus, and “d” to disease. The virus that causes the disease is SARS-CoV-2, which was named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. The “SARS” part of the name refers to the new coronavirus’ genetic link to the virus that caused the 2003 SARS outbreak. So one tests positive for SARS-CoV-2, not Covid-19, as it’s the virus and not the disease that does the infecting. The WHO lays out this distinction clearly on its website.

https://qz.com/1820422/coronavirus-why-wont-who-use-the-name-sars-cov-2/

And there's a distinction between a virus and a disease. Well, you learn something new every day! Let's hope this bug goes away and we can move on with our lives.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Coronavirus is a SARS based virus. It's actually SARS version 2.
    Covid-19 refers to the disease. “Co” refers to corona, “vi” to virus, and “d” to disease. The virus that causes the disease is SARS-CoV-2, which was named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. The “SARS” part of the name refers to the new coronavirus’ genetic link to the virus that caused the 2003 SARS outbreak. So one tests positive for SARS-CoV-2, not Covid-19, as it’s the virus and not the disease that does the infecting. The WHO lays out this distinction clearly on its website.

https://qz.com/1820422/coronavirus-why-wont-who-use-the-name-sars-cov-2/

And there's a distinction between a virus and a disease. Well, you learn something new every day! Let's hope this bug goes away and we can move on with our lives.

My prediction is that more students next year will consider virology courses in college.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nearly 1 billion children/students are now out of school due to the coronavirus. To be more precise, around 840 million kids/students are affected by nationwide school closures around the world.

Great for the kids.
    Portugal is about to declare an Emergency State from midnight onwards. Borders have been closed to our Spanish neighbours. Meanwhile, planes keep landing on the Atlantic islands. Hoping for the best. Let's all hope for the best. Keep safe.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Italy records the single-worst day of the coronavirus outbreak with 475 deaths within the last 24 hours. They are now just under 3,000 deaths, and should overtake China as the worst-hit country by tomorrow, given their recent trajectory.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italy records the single-worst day of the coronavirus outbreak with 475 deaths within the last 24 hours. They are now just under 3,000 deaths, and should overtake China as the worst-hit country by tomorrow, given their recent trajectory.

Exactly... and you know why? Because it’s hard to force Italians to stay home, given also a weak and not elected government. If u tell the Chinese to do one thing they will do it. Italians, it’s a different story...

Anyway in Italy the dead are the 8,5% of the infected. Half of the infected are from the very same region, Lombardy (which is funnily the most productive region in the UE) and with the 2nd best healthcare in the country...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Great for the kids.

Not really. There is nothing for them to do. No movies. No plazas. No museums. No zoos. But they do have plenty of time to read books.
    TripAces wrote: »

Great for the kids.

Not really. There is nothing for them to do. No movies. No plazas. No museums. No zoos. But they do have plenty of time to read books.

Beats school regardless.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,314
    Beats school regardless.

Depends on your aspirations for your child
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Great for the kids.

Here in New York, the schools are expected to be closed until – at least – April 20. While closed, however, most children are expected to attend virtual classes at home - soon as next week (March 23rd).

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-education-20200315-3kfqdealqvbmjjtg6ofd45q5ty-story.html

How this will impact the normal end-of-year exam process is anyone’s guess at this time.

In NYC all movie theaters, museums and libraries are also closed, and even those restaurants that remain open, can only do take-out and delivery service. In-fact, our state governor has declared that 50% of workers must work from home – unless they are in an essential industry.

Even before this latest policy change, however, more and more people are “staying in place” and not leaving the house except for trips to the drug or grocery store. I did notice some short tempers today, and that may become more common the longer the situation goes on.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,548
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Beats school regardless.

Not saying that children shouldn't attend school but Homeschooling is far better imo and both of my parents are teacher who know this as well :)
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Beats school regardless.

Not saying that children shouldn't attend school but Homeschooling is far better imo and both of my parents are teacher who know this as well :)

Absolutely true.

Agreed. One of the dumbest things I heard was from some big football club who wanted the State to save them now.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Interesting, thank you. I did not know that distinction.

On the wider point about moving on with our lives, I think we have missed the train on that one.

The economic shutdown is not going to end in a month or so, IMO. That’s because of the high contagiousness of the virus. When we relax quarantine it will flood back again as soon as travel starts up again and then we will have to reimpose controls. It will be relax, reimpose, relax, reimpose, and our economy is smashed a little bit more every time.

The only thing that can get us off this conveyor belt to economic suicide is a working vaccine. That’s at least 18 months away, so we are trapped in a dying economy for the next 18 months.

If they discover that they cannot create a vaccine (a bit like the way that there’s no vaccine for the common cold) then there’s no way out of this hell.

What we should have done is for every country to do a China style lockdown at the first sign of contagion. Iran should have done that, Italy should have done that, UK should have done that. But we didn’t, and now that ship has sailed.

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    matt_u wrote: »

Exactly... and you know why? Because it’s hard to force Italians to stay home, given also a weak and not elected government. If u tell the Chinese to do one thing they will do it. Italians, it’s a different story...

If it's any consolation, it's not only the Italians.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2020 Posts: 6,760

That's a bit harsh. Italy was the first European country to be hit so catastrophically, while other countries are able to learn from what happened elsewhere.

Furthermore, I know a lot of Italians, having lived there for some time. Every single one of them is staying home and follows the rules.

Also, it's rather difficult to force people to behave in a certain way, even when it's for the greater good. When pubs and restaurants were closed in Belgium, quite a few of my countrymen crossed the border into The Netherlands to have a party over there. Foolish if you ask me, but unfortunately some people are not concerned about the greater good and others aren't able to consider the consequences of their actions. Regrettably, you can find such people in every country.

Poor old Italy was unlucky and got hit first and therefore they were hit hard, I hope they'll recover quickly. I also hope other countries will be able to keep things under reasonable control. I think the Belgian government is doing a great job keeping everyone inside until things get better.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Some good news: for the first time, China is able to report no new cases of the virus. Let's hope that their efforts to keep people at distance from each other actually did the trick. It took them about three months.

I am hopeful that we can accomplish the same here in the U.S., in a much shorter time.

If all goes well, the world might get back to normal by mid-summer. Fingers crossed.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,721
    New Zealand has closed its borders. Only citizens or residents allowed in. Seeing as we're a couple of small islands at the bottom of the world hopefully it can be contained. 28 confirmed cases, all from visitors or kiwis who have traveled. Many visitors refusing to self-isolate so there was only one option.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    GoldenGun wrote: »

That's a bit harsh. Italy was the first European country to be hit so catastrophically, while other countries are able to learn from what happened elsewhere.

Furthermore, I know a lot of Italians, having lived there for some time. Every single one of them is staying home and follows the rules.

Also, it's rather difficult to force people to behave in a certain way, even when it's for the greater good. When pubs and restaurants were closed in Belgium, quite a few of my countrymen crossed the border into The Netherlands to have a party over there. Foolish if you ask me, but unfortunately some people are not concerned about the greater good and others aren't able to consider the consequences of their actions. Regrettably, you can find such people in every country.

Poor old Italy was unlucky and got hit first and therefore they were hit hard, I hope they'll recover quickly. I also hope other countries will be able to keep things under reasonable control. I think the Belgian government is doing a great job keeping everyone inside until things get better.

Thanks for the kind words @GoldenGun. Anyway unfortunately what I’m saying it’s basically supported by statistics: just in one week 43.000 people were officially accused by police for not respecting quarantine. That’s more people than the overall number of infected people since the start of the epidemic (35.700). Right now the government is studying harder rules in order to force people home... they will probably call the army. I live in Milano so I know what I’m saying: there’s still too many people going around and the healthcare in the Lombardy region is collapsing given how bad is the situation now... and we are talking the richest region in the country with the second best healthcare. In Bergamo there are so many casualties the army brought lot of corpses in other cities in order to cremate the bodies. They keep the bodies inside churches because there’s no room for most of them in the hospitals. Today marks my 13th day of quarantine and I went out just two times in order to buy food/wine, some medicine and cigarettes. I’m lucky that at least my job turns out to be quite flexible and working from home for me is definitely fine. Bad news is that the next 7 days will be the worst... hopefully by the end of this month the curve will start to slow down.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Well I can't argue with the numbers @matt_u. I used to live in Rome, my passport says Belgium but my heart says Italy. It pains me to see it like this.
    Hope better days will come soon for you and everyone else in the country.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Well I can't argue with the numbers @matt_u. I used to live in Rome, my passport says Belgium but my heart says Italy. It pains me to see it like this.
    Hope better days will come soon for you and everyone else in the country.

Thank you so much!

Anyway in Italy the dead are the 8,5% of the infected. Half of the infected are from the very same region, Lombardy (which is funnily the most productive region in the UE) and with the 2nd best healthcare in the country...

The NHS is nowhere near as strong as Italy's, and Londoners are not taking this seriously enough (just like the Italians didn't). It's not helped by Boris and his half assed attempts at advising people to stay home, rather than ordering.

I'm predicting London will be the massive epicentre of Europe within 10 days, and will exceed what has happened in Italy. Disaster is looming for us in the UK.