Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    The city of Bergamo suffered an incredible +400% deaths throughout the last 31 days in comparison to last year's same timeframe. Some small towns suffered a 750+% increase. The city of Milan +76% and it's now the city with the highest number of infected people, even tho the numbers are not that bad, so to speak...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,126
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    tcuU6NF.gif

You know what I mean We are done ok the mods agree so don't give me that ok? (Ps) Give me a Jennifer Lawrence ok meme I was disappointed to not see it lol. Thanks
  • Over? forget it, he's rolling...
    It's over
    Over? forget it, he's rolling...

Imagine taking a bath and getting covid that is so just weird nothing seems immune to this thing https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Over? forget it, he's rolling...

;) ^:)^
    Go bug a different thread both of you thanks
    You did not even read the article from The Atlantic that I posted, I'm not bugging anything my friend.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    You did not even read the article from The Atlantic that I posted, I'm not bugging anything my friend.

You were trying to bring up the past conversation up by responding to a past comment with a debate that we are well over with and the mods said to move on with. You read my covid bath post.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Folks, @007Blofeld was banned. We asked him to let go; instead, he's spouting pretentious nonsense in the name of the mods.

Thank you for your patience.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Thank you @DarthDimi. Thank you very much.
    @DarthDimi Thanks
    Gerard wrote: »
    Wise words from a wise man :

The wife showed me this earlier, nice one Samuel! :-bd
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 7,653
    Jack Ma, the founder of Chinese wholesale online market Alibaba, has donated millions of dollars in medical aid around the world to help countries battling the coronavirus, including sending a million masks and 500,000 testing kits to the US.

But this week an attempt by Ma to make a similar donation to Cuba – which has itself been sending doctors around the world to help with coronavirus medical efforts – was blocked by the US government, reports Xinhua, China’s official news agency.

According to Xinhua, the US haulier hired by Alibaba to carry face masks, test kits and ventilators to the Caribbean island pulled out at the last minute, citing backdoor sanctions against Cuba implemented last year by the Trump administration.

Title III of the Helms-Burton Act, enacted by the Trump government last May, gives US nationals and companies the right to sue foreign citizens and enterprises investing in properties nationalised by the Cuban government.

and

A consignment of masks heading from China to one of the worst-hit coronavirus areas of France was hijacked by American buyers as it was about to be dispatched, it was reported on Thursday, writes Kim Willsher.

The masks were on a plane on the tarmac at Shanghai airport ready to take off when US buyers turned up reportedly waving wads of cash and offered three times what the French were paying.

The plane later left for an unreported destination in the US.

Jean Rottner, an emergency hospital doctor at Mulhouse in eastern France, and president of the Grand Est regional council, confirmed reports that part of an order of masks heading for the region, where intensive care units are inundated with coronavirus patients, had been snatched by Americans.

“On the tarmac, they arrive, get the cash out and pay three or four times more for the orders than we have, so we really have to fight,” Rottner told RTL radio.

Rottner said they had still managed to receive 2m masks earlier this week. “It’s complicated. We’re having to work round the clock to make sure these masks get here,” he said.

As well as orders from the French government, several French regions have ordered a total of 1bn masks, one-quarter of them from China.

Rénaud Muselier, the head of the south-eastern Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region, said he had also experienced problems securing masks. Muselier said he had opted for them to be transported by sea, which he said was slower but more certain. “At least that way, I can be sure nobody will steal my masks from the tarmac,” he told BFMTV.

two examples of bloody unbelievable and showing some egotistical attitude of the worst variety. Would be nice to waiver some stuff under these horrific circumstances in the name of humanitarian aid.
  • "Hijacked"? Politics aside, isn't this just flat out criminal behavior? Or do some consider this "business as usual"?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    "Hijacked"? Politics aside, isn't this just flat out criminal behavior? Or do some consider this "business as usual"?

Hijacked in this case is referring to simply selling to a different buyer for a higher price. Which is, of course, business as usual. Even if completely immoral in these tragic times.
    Has Cuba sent doctors and nurses to the US to aid in efforts? Or was that just to Europe?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The USA has recorded 1,169 deaths from coronavirus yesterday.
    53.000+ deaths worlwide now.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Over 200k people have recovered let's not forget.
    True.
    Only the damage on their bodies in long term lung troubles has yet to be ascertained, from what I have heard so far recovered from Corona does not necessarily mean 100% recovered.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Only the damage on their bodies in long term lung troubles has yet to be ascertained, from what I have heard so far recovered from Corona does not necessarily mean 100% recovered.

It's just a rumour, too soon to say that.
    Benny wrote: »
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Over 200k people have recovered let's not forget.

Thank you!

Someone was shot down on here a few days ago for saying it doesn't help that people keep posting bleak death stats. I'm afraid I did sympathise with him. For many of the people that died the virus was a Moore YOLT leg-kick. In other words, they were teetering on the edge anyway.
    Just posting up death statistics every day doesn't really give a true picture of what's actually going on.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't post the stats, and I'm not saying lock-down isn't necessary.
  • I was the one who said that (and was subsequently shot down for it). I think the media is mostly at fault for not emphasizing that more people have recovered from it than died from it - Channel 4 News in the UK are especially alarmist in their tone constantly. Of course, I'm taking this seriously as much as everyone on here but we need to try and keep some positive perspective on here and not follow the news quite so frequently - I was quite guilty of doing it before it became widespread in the UK and now I really try and limit my daily news intake. I now mostly read opinion articles online instead of the main headlines. You have to shut it off in your brain at some point - you can't just keep taking in negative updates like that, it's not good for your mental health (or even physical health really). During this lockdown period, good mental health should be as much of a priority as physical health.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686
    The UK has now entered the tough phase of the outbreak, with 684 deaths recorded in the past 24 hours. They are the latest country to surpass the total Chinese death-toll. Spain is still waiting to hit their peak, as they have registered 932 fatalities from coronavirus today.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,009
    Please, by all means keep posting about those who have recovered. They're people too.

Death stats are just as important though, and should continue to be posted also.

I thank the members here for their continued efforts with posting stats each day. Thanks guys.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Whilst we need to keep a mind on the light at the end of the tunnel as it were. We also need to keep our eye on the reality of the virus. It is still with us, it's not controlled or going away at present. Of course we can live with hope. (And we will overcome this pandemic) But we also have to live with the fact that it is still with us, without a cure.
    The threat is real. We need to all act in a sensible manner to overcome this.
    Benny wrote: »
    Whilst we need to keep a mind on the light at the end of the tunnel as it were. We also need to keep our eye on the reality of the virus. It is still with us, it's not controlled or going away at present. Of course we can live with hope. (And we will overcome this pandemic) But we also have to live with the fact that it is still with us, without a cure.

This is exactly it, @Benny! We can remain positive about defeating the threat whilst also acknowledging the damage that threat is doing. Common sense, really!
  • Whilst we need to keep a mind on the light at the end of the tunnel as it were. We also need to keep our eye on the reality of the virus. It is still with us, it's not controlled or going away at present. Of course we can live with hope. (And we will overcome this pandemic) But we also have to live with the fact that it is still with us, without a cure.

I have been acting in a sensible manner in regards to this virus. I'm just not going to fall into a rabbit hole when it comes to following the news. We can't physically do anything to dispel / destroy the virus (apart from physical distancing) so keeping up with the news only helps things to a certain extent. I'm not ignoring the situation by any means but you need to focus your mind on other, healthier things as well. That's what I'm doing.