NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Get over it? What the Hell brought that on? Im hardly one of the people repeatedly pressing points on here.
    And to be fair, I believe Vesper is mention twice by Fleming post CR. Never more than a side note.

I thought he was telling Bond to get over it. :))
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Okay. Sorry.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So, in movie time, Craig's Bond has spent a total of about seven months with these two women over a span of 15 years, yet they dominate the narrative of four of his five entries. He certainly becomes far more attached than the other five guys did.

I don't think that's quite a fair characterization; one of those five guys spent about a week with the one woman, and she dominated 100% of his entries. ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Get over it? What the Hell brought that on? Im hardly one of the people repeatedly pressing points on here.
    And to be fair, I believe Vesper is mention twice by Fleming post CR. Never more than a side note.

I thought he was telling Bond to get over it. :))

I was!

I probably should have made it more clear. X_X
    Yes, George was weak.
    George Baker should have just gone to Piz Gloria disguised as Bond.
    That would have been pretty funny.
    Not the first time Bond has had a daughter, remember. I prefer Mata. Probably my favorite bit in the film. Come to think of it, Bond dies in this one as well.

Still have never seen this flick.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I like the end scene with the MI6 regulars and the Jack London quote, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Madeline and Mathilde in the V8 scene afterwards. It feels tacked on to give the audience something positive to leave on
    I think that's the idea. If we had stopped at the funeral, then that would be a very dark ending.

I think what the final scene says it's: "These are only stories, so Bond will be back!"
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There's something niggling at me regarding the time gap between the main plot of NTTD and the previous films.

The NTTD PTS takes place directly after the events of SP - a couple of weeks maybe, at most. SP takes place a couple of months after Skyfall where we were introduced to Mallory for the first time. NTTD, post credits, then jumps ahead five years to the Heracles story.

During their conversations, Bond implies to Mallory that they had previously debated Heracles and that it was Mallory who spearheaded it "for nearly ten years" (I'm not misremembering this, I'm sure) while Bond was vocally against it.

But, of course, Mallory wouldn't have been head of the service then.
    NTTD effectively says that SF took place at least in 2015. If true, that means there was a nine year time jump between CR/QOS (2006) and SF/SP (2015).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    NTTD effectively says that SF took place at least in 2015. If true, that means there was a nine year time jump between CR/QOS (2006) and SF/SP (2015).

Can you remind me how the film does that?
    NTTD is dated 2020, and the PTS is set five years prior, which dates it to 2015, not long after the events of SP.
    Okay, however that still begs the question: how could Mallory have spearheaded a secret project (with defected scientists and an amoral approach to tech) for almost a decade when he has only been M for five and a bit years?

I know it was just a throwaway line but it stuck out on first viewing and it's annoyed me since.
    It’s definitely a goof. Like the typo on Blofeld’s DOB being 1946 instead of 1964.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    It depends… what was Mallory’s role in the MI6 before being M?

EDIT: He was Chairman of the Intelligence and Security Committee, acting as an intermediary between MI6 and the British government. So his position gave him the authority to regulate MI6, even “fire” M. He was totally able to work on Heracles before being M to me.
    I don't think the ISC work on secret projects like that. They're just an independent review and advisory committee. But I suppose it is fiction. MI6 don't have labs with Aston Martin Valhalla's sitting in them, either. So I'll take it! ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I don’t know, this nanotechnology thing was an off the books project and perhaps Mallory was involved with it since the beginning before being M. The movie never states that he was actually Mallory’s idea. Perhaps it was Valdo that pitched the idea to the British once he defected from the Russians. Perhaps the preliminary nanotechnology work for this weapon idea led to the Smart Blood being created in the first place and then with Mallory as M after 5 years they were able to synthesize the DNA targeting poison stuff.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don't think the ISC work on secret projects like that.

How would you know?
    I don't think the ISC work on secret projects like that.

How would you know?

Fair.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    This timeline thing interest me.

CR/QOS are set in 2006. Bond is new.

SF/SP are set in 2015. Bond is older.

NTTD is set 2015 then jumps to 2020. Bond is really old (Craig insisted on not dying... pardon the pun, his grey hair in the 2020 section)

It looks like they decided without communicating about it, to bookend Bond career with Craig. Which would make it easy to tell lots of story in-between.

Which won't happen of course because they only put the latest products like phones and computers in the films due to the sponsoring and partnerships.

But: there are the games, which imho count as the in between stories:

- GoldenEye 007
    - Blood Stone
    - 007 Legends

It means the missing Craig missions are GoldenEye 007, Blood Stone, Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, Licence to Kill and Die Another Day.

Does it make sense? I have never played 007 Legends, does Bond marries Tracy in it, and does Felix get maimed in LTK? Did Craig surf the wave?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Stamper, QoS "takes place" in 2008, if the continuity error on the Greene Planet fundraiser invitation is anything to go off of. I still see it as nothing more than an error, with the film clearly unfolding in 2006 still.
    NTTD is dated 2020, and the PTS is set five years prior, which dates it to 2015, not long after the events of SP.

Okay, thanks. That makes sense.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Stamper, QoS "takes place" in 2008, if the continuity error on the Greene Planet fundraiser invitation is anything to go off of. I still see it as nothing more than an error, with the film clearly unfolding in 2006 still.

Unless the drive from Lake Como to Siena took that long.

Let's split the difference: both films take place in 2007! That won't be confusing at all! :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That's what happens when you have to stop every few minutes to let White out to pee.

That's what happens when you have to stop every few minutes to let White out to pee.

According to the video game, an entire action scene plays out immediately after that. ;-)

And following @Stamper's suggestion, I take BloodStone as an in-between story too. It could be interesting to get some comics that fill a few gaps as well.

White from within the trunk: "Are we there yet?"
    Bond: "Shut up!
    White: "But I have to go! It s number one."
    Bond. "Sigh!!!"

Repeated 60 000 times.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2021 Posts: 6,724
    Well, the first thing you should know about us is that... we have to pee everywhere.

Am I right?

(Mitchell suddenly micturates on M)