Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    With all the love for the electric chair, I wonder if the 007 Store will bring out a limited edition replica ... for £35000? 🤔
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    With all the love for the electric chair, I wonder if the 007 Store will bring out a limited edition replica ... for £35000? 🤔

;) I would pay 34000 but that is the limit.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Fiona is one fantastic henchwoman but my vote goes to Xenia, who is also my favorite and totally iconic to me. It's a toss-up between the latter category, but I think I'll go with the piranhas, as well.

Great to hear. I already thought that Fiona would destroy Xenia completely. And it's good to read that the electric chair doesn't make barbecue with all the bity fishes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fiona is one fantastic henchwoman but my vote goes to Xenia, who is also my favorite and totally iconic to me. It's a toss-up between the latter category, but I think I'll go with the piranhas, as well.

Great to hear. I already thought that Fiona would destroy Xenia completely. And it's good to read that the electric chair doesn't make barbecue with all the bity fishes.

My nostalgic bias of GE knows no bounds. I love every aspect of that movie and most of the sequences, characters, moments etc. end up as my #1 in whatever given ranking might be going on. Can't be helped!
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,388

My nostalgic bias of GE knows no bounds. I love every aspect of that movie and most of the sequences, characters, moments etc. end up as my #1 in whatever given ranking might be going on. Can't be helped!
    GE is my number 2.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,388
    GE is my #2.

Any final votes?
    Results of Round 3:

Fiona wins very easily against Xenia: 14 : 3

The electric chair is favoured over the piranhas 10 : 7.
    Round 4:

A) Who do you prefer as M? Bernard Lee vs. Judi Dench

B) Which fight do you prefer? Elevator fight (Bond vs. Peter Franks in DAF) vs. Train fight (Bond vs. Hinx in SP)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,437
    Round 3:

A) Which henchwoman do you prefer? Fiona Volpe vs. Xenia Onatopp
    First of all i never be fan of Volpe and second i don't think she is henchwoman.

B) Which of Blofeld's executions do you prefer? Electric chair kills Number Nine (TB) vs. Piranhas kill Helga Brandt (YOLT)

Round 4:

A) Who do you prefer as M? Bernard Lee vs. Judi Dench. More movies and more behind his desk.

B) Which fight do you prefer? Elevator fight (Bond vs. Peter Franks in DAF) vs. Train fight (Bond vs. Hinx in SP) Oops... Amsterdam wins..
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,426
    Round 4:

A) Who do you prefer as M? Bernard Lee - he’s perfected the art of harrumphing

B) Which fight do you prefer? Train fight well, I not keen on either of them, but I can’t take the elevator scene seriously and I’m not a fan of Sir Sean’s suit.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A) Easy win for Bernard Lee. Unreplaceable as M.
    B) I'll go the elevator fight in DAF. Though the Bond and Hinx tussle is pretty good.

On a side note, I'd be interested to see why @M_Balje doesn't consider Fiona a henchwoman?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bernard Lee by far.

I like the elevator fight, but the train fight is in a different league. Bond vs Hinx wins.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Bernard Lee, for sentimental reasons
    The train fight, because it is simply very good. The elevator fight was good in its time, but no comparison to the intensity in SP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,484
    Judi Dench was absolutely incredible, BUT Bernard Lee was perfection-- Bernard Lee for the victory.

Something that always and still bothers me about the SP train fight-- it's everything it should be: Well shot and choreographed, two actors giving their all. But, the punishment that Bond takes and there's not a scratch on him? Took me out of the film the first time, takes me out of it now (especially since DC Bond is the Bond that bleeds); DAF wins this round, but not because I love the fight.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Bernard Lee and the Spectre Train Fight.
    Dench's M is fantastic but comes across as more as a mother figure than a boss, especially in the Craig era. Bernard is top M, except for his crankiness in TMWTGG.

Both of the fight scenes are good in their own right, but the sheer intensity of the Spectre one gives it the edge. Too bad they both end sorta wimpy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bernard Lee wins. Dame Dench had a fabulous run as 'M' but Lee is the 'M'.

The elevator fight in DAF is one of the few things that film got right.
    BERNARD LEE - no contest ,he is and always will be M to me
    &
    This is hard to separate,I love both fights ,but with no music and a genuine fear that Bond is being bested I will go with SP TRAIN FIGHT.
    Bernard Lee, easily. Perhaps that's from his being the long-standing M for so long and having him in the role when I was first drawn to the films. It seemed the filmmakers were always trying too hard with Dench to make her stand out more, and she always seemed to have to try to be harder to put Bond in his place although she needed him.

Elevator fight. It's the last great Connery fight for one thing which harkens back to the '60s peak in a film more focused on the lighter aspects of Bond. There's also a good deal of suspense in the scene and we don't know a lot about Franks and that seems to make him more dangerous.

The train fight is really good, but it really gives me Jaws vibes at the same time, making it seem less serious and that doesn't work well with Craig's Bond. It also didn't help that after a frightening introduction, Hinx is made into a Jaws-like cartoon character after the car chase in Italy.
  • Bernard Lee is great, but Judi Dench made M into an actual character and gave her such a big personality, and ultimately made her more human.
    The train fight in SP is absolute brutal, and one of the few times in the series where Bond is completely outclassed.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bernard Lee, but barely. Judi is a legend and has a most incredible interpretation of M. But too many classic original moments from Bernie that I don't think any subsequent M could ever top.

Train Fight from SP. SP gets a lot of flack, but I think this is a great hard hitting action sequence. I only wish the dinner scene between Bond and Madeline lasted longer to give us more time to relax and feel comfortable to add more shock when Hinx makes his rude entrance.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    My first entry in this pole and interesting idea @goldenswissroyale kudos for coming up with it.

Yes this first one is a tough one, Dench was indeed a credit to the series and her swansong was her crowning glory, although Bernard Lee just encapsulates what you want in M.

It was a different era but he doesn't stand for Bond nonsense but also respects him and knows his value, something that Mallory seemed to acknowledge as the end of SPECTRE

Also Lee just plays it brilliantly with all 3 actors, it's got to be Bernard Lee, although that was a tough one as Dame Judi has been one of the strongest elements of both Brosnan and Craig's era.

Bernard Lee for the win.

SPECTRE is bottom of the pile for me but DAF wouldn't be far behind, although as some have pointed out that fight is pretty thrilling, the smashing of glass and it is all quite visceral. Also, Barry knocks it out the park with a terrific cue to accompany it so quite easy for me.

That fight with Hinx was billed as something really special but just like the Car chase in Rome it was disappointing as hell.

DAF with considerable ease and I never thought I'd say that outside of the score and title theme.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gotta go with Bernard Lee. I love Judi Dench but it doesn't get more perfect than Lee as M.

Elevator fight, easily. The train fight from SP is one of very, very, very few highlights, but I love the elevator fight from DAF a lot.
    I'll also throw in creativity points for the elevator fight as it's a small space and took planning from Bob Simmons to make it convincing and interesting. Bond has had numerous train fights over the years from FRWL to LALD to TSWLM to OP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Bernard Lee
    Elevator fight
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I actually thought that I’d be near alone going with the elevator fight. Quite surprised.

I definitely expected a few more votes for the train fight. And even for Judi.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I actually thought that I’d be near alone going with the elevator fight. Quite surprised.

I definitely expected a few more votes for the train fight. And even for Judi.

Agreed. It is somewhat unexpected. It would be interesting to see this vote broken out by age. As for this "old" man:

Bernard Lee. While I absolutely adore Judi, Lee helped to establish the role.
    Elevator Fight. Despite being undercut somewhat by Tiffany’s “You’ve just killed James Bond” line, it is a highlight of DAF.
    Please don't ban me from the forum: I prefer Judi Dench. She is a fantastic actress and she has some really great lines. It is true that she gets almost too much to do. Bernard Lee is good, no doubt, but I missed Dench much more in SP than Lee in FYEO. Furthermore, I grew up with the 90sBonds which could also help to give the point to the Dame.

The Train Fight wins imo. Both are highlights of the two films but the train fight is more impressive with Craig in real danger. Maybe the only scene (apart from the PTS) where I really love it when Newmans score kicks in.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm also for Bernie and the lift boys!
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Bernard Lee all day long. Judi was fantastic, and is probably one of the best thesp's to ever appear in Bond, but Lee is a hallmark of the series.

Second one, I will have to go with SP. I have never understood the love for the Elevator fight, it doesn't even make it in the top 10 of Bond fist fights, for me.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Judi Dench

Train Fight