Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• The Tarzan yell is the lowest point in the whole series. It breaks so many rules as to ne unforgivable.
    I have to assume the people that don't mind it, think of it as a sound effect rather than Bond doing a Tarzan yell. Unfortunately, when I first saw it, I assumed it was Bond doing the yelling, (like as if he's sharing a joke with the people trying to kill him). Terrible.
    In fact, the whole sequence is horrible. The 'sit' joke, "hiss off" etc. Which is a shame, because the sequence ends with a joke that is actually funny, in the "economy tour" line.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks for your comment @shamanimal. And who do you prefer? Orlov or Ourumov?
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,388
    My own vote:
    I prefer Ourumov. He has some great and even funny scenes: his facial expression when he is surprised by Onatopps pleasure in killing; the murder of Mishkin; drinking during the tank chase etc...Orlov has a good introduction but doesn't stick in my mind like Ourumov.

B) Tarzan yell. Maybe I am the only one, but the gorilla suit scene is more painful for me. The part with checking the time would be funny in an Austin Powers movie but it is embarrassing here. The Tarzan yell is over after a few seconds, at least.
  • a) I think Ourumov is quite overlooked, he's a crazy maniac, but you do have a lot of sympathy for him in the end.
    b) Both moments which nearly ruin OP for me. At least I can defend the clown scene to a certain extent. The tarzan yell is something that you could remove entirely and it wouldn't make a bit of difference, and is over in a couple of seconds. As for the other, they thought they were being funny and cool, and is really just a face palm moment. I hate both these moments but tarzan is a gag I feel they misused, rather than a crappy moment where they thought they were trying to outsmart the audience.
    Here again the questions for this week on the new page. Thanks for your votes and your enriching comments.

Round 2:

A) Which villainous General do you prefer? General Orlov (OP) vs. General Ourumov (GE)

B) Which OP scene do you prefer (or in other words: is less annoying?) Bond hiding in a gorilla suit vs. Bond and the Tarzan yell

Any last votes for Orlov or the Tarzan yell? Otherwise, the winners are fixed and I can start the next round.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sorry for the delay in getting here.

A vote for Orlov as the General I prefer. Ourumov is very good, but I love Steven Berkoff gives such a good performance. He's one of the many highlights of OP for me.
    As too the Tarzan yell or the gorilla suit, well they're both terrible. Something that weakens the film. But so be it, it cant be changed now. I'll go with the gorilla suit. I do get a wry smile, when Kamal announces the time, and Bond checks his watch. Silly I know. But it's supposed to be.
    And yes, there's no way that Bond could get out of the costume in the time, but I'll call it artistic licence. No worse than how he changes clothes in the pts of SP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2019 Posts: 6,778
    1. Even though I like Ourumov a lot, Orlov is one of my very favourite villains.
    2. The two most annoying moments about OP, leave them out and it might crack my top 5. Having said that the gorilla suit is slightly less annoying.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ourumov is my guy.

So is the gorilla.
    That was close!

Ourumov beats Orlov by a single vote: 7:6

Gorilla suit wins very clear against the Tarzan yell: 12:2
    Maybe we should find out once if this scene is the most annoying one apart from a specific scene from DAD...
    Round 3:

A) Which henchwoman do you prefer? Fiona Volpe vs. Xenia Onatopp

B) Which of Blofeld's executions do you prefer? Electric chair kills Number Nine (TB) vs. Piranhas kill Helga Brandt (YOLT)?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2019 Posts: 6,778
    Insane choices.

Love both Xenia and Fiona to bits, but Fiona is my favourite henchperson of the entire series.

The piranhas are great, so is the electric chair. The latter is much more unexpected though, so I’ll go for the electric chair.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Fiona hands down, and the Piranhas because it involved an actual character we knew and had gotten to know somewhat, so the effect was stronger in my opinion.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Great idea goldenswissroyale!

I have great affection for Luciana Paluzzi – and she also starred in this masterpiece from my youth. Its Fiona – easily.

Electric Chair by a single volt or two. Both are iconic.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Fiona
    Electric Chair
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Fiona as she is probably the most complete character of any other henchmen/women. Probably my second favorite behind Jaws.

Electric Chair builds so much tension and intimidation. Say something wrong, act wrong, don't deliver at your job and at a moment's notice you could meet your end. Also terrifying for those watching and yet they need to go back the next day to that same chair. Piranhas are cool, but the chair just shows the devotion Blofelds team has to him, even if it may be through fear in certain cases.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Fiona
    The Piranha fish
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Great idea goldenswissroyale!

I have great affection for Luciana Paluzzi – and she also starred in this masterpiece from my youth. Its Fiona – easily.

Electric Chair by a single volt or two. Both are iconic.

Strange that I never heard about this movie, since it is a masterpiece...
    It seems that Luciana looks so stunning that Xenia has no chance.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Fiona has some great moments, the motorbike, the bath, her death etc
    Electric chair unexpected so early in the film, and the nonchalant Largo reaction is priceless
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Fiona with great ease.
    Electric Chair by a little bit.

Same here.
    Fiona
    &
    Piranahs
  • Xenia & Piranahs
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Fiona (very close, but wins because Famke's character is a bit too silly)
    &
    Electric Chair (iconic and quick, whereas Piranhas really take their time - rather sadistic)
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Xenia & Piranahs

Thanks for your vote against the stream. It is the first point for Xenia (!).
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Fiona beats everyone.

The second one is close, but I'll go with the piranhas.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think Famke is great, but her character is mainly ridiculous. Plus Luciana is absolutely stunning, so I'll go with Fiona.

I'm also with those who prefer the electric chair over the piranhas.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Easy

Fiona over Xenia. Xenia is the worst part of GE.

The electric chair.
  • 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Xenia & Piranahs

Thanks for your vote against the stream. It is the first point for Xenia (!).
    It's a tough choice to be fair! Fiona is great and I love her, but Xenia is probably my favorite henchman in the series.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,388
    Fiona is hot as hell. Nevertheless, Xenia is my number one henchwoman: she is absolutely crazy and she has a much better death scene than Fiona. Xenia left definitely an impression during my puberty.
    I love deadly animals in bond movies. The piranhas are more iconic imo. I even like it that we don't see them, “jaws-style“. We see what they can do with a huge peace of meat and the Ken Adam set looks great.The electric chair is a top scene too: it is much more surprising.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 40,454
    Fiona is one fantastic henchwoman but my vote goes to Xenia, who is also my favorite and totally iconic to me. It's a toss-up between the latter category, but I think I'll go with the piranhas, as well.