Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

1333435363739»

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,389
    @BT3366 I plan to be back with new rounds later this year.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,609
    mtm wrote: »
    Just goes to show we're all different! :)

That's true. So I'm glad I've found something we agree on, in a post you wrote in another thread last night:
    mtm wrote: »
    Something like Die Another Day is filmed in far less of the real locations: I think, apart from London, the main cast actually appear in none of the locations the film is set in! :)

So we can at least agree Brosnan (filming in Spain AFAIK) can't be labeled as a 'main actor'. :--)
    (I'm off topic, sorry)

EDIT: reading your post more closely, you were right: it's outside England, but not in the real location. At least, Spain is similarly exotic. My fault.
    Round 54:
    A) Which GF/DB5 “homage“ do you prefer in SF: Bond does reveal the ejector seat button but does not eject M despite her complaints. vs Bond uses the machine guns at Skyfall for an unexpected attack. Ejector seat button vs. machine guns

B) Which moment do you prefer: Bond ejects the guy in the back of his jet, gets rid of both enemies and asks where the bombs should be delivered vs. Bond ejects himself in Rome, escapes from Hinx and lands with style. PTS ejection (TND) vs. ejection in Rome (SP)
  • A) Machine guns were subtler.

B) PTS ejection (TND). Makes no sense, but perfectly executed comedy and Brosnan's "backseat driver" got a big laugh in theaters.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 13,897
    A) I love both moments, but machine guns. Bond could have driven the car around, shooting as he runs them over.

B) TND PTS ejection. One of the absolute best PTS's; rare instance of Bond commandeering a jet.
  • A) Ejector seat button
    B) TND PTS ejection. Might be the best PTS in the series (arguably) and the "backseat driver" quip can't be topped.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    a Machine guns.

b I like both, but the one in Spectre takes it. It s funny, I love the whole mood, and the score really sells it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    A. Skyfall house
    B. Tomorrow Never Dies
    Thanks for the votes and comments so far. I hope there are some more members interested to participate?
    A. Machine guns
    B. TND PTS ejection
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Machine Guns at Skyfall;
    TND ejection
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) I enjoyed both moments, but seeing Bond use the machine guns at Skyfall was such an adrenaline rush. The ejector seat mention was cute if not perfunctory.

2) A big win (I hope) for the TND PTS ejection. It's so much fun that it makes the SP scene entirely forgettable.
    1) Machine guns. Bond being resourceful and using what's at his disposal and putting the AM's gadgets to practical use instead of superficially.

The ejector seat joke is one of the better uses of humor in SF. It's not broad or over-the-top and I appreciate that much more. But it's just a line and not use of the actual gadget.

2)The TND plane ejection is a great example of why this film is fun. It's a classic situation: Bond finds himself against the odds and uses his wits and resourcefulness to escape a dangerous situation. To make it even better, he not only gets rid of his assailant, he also takes care of the other baddie in the process. It's what makes Bond films in a class by themselves.

By comparison, the SP AM ejector seat is lame. I'll give it that it's a surprise that Bond is in the ejector seat, but it's a too-convenient gadget and the appropriately lame resolution to an underwhelming chase. It's like a scene suggested for a Moore or Brosnan film rather than Craig. Speaking of Brosnan, I actually like the use of the ejector seat to upright the Vanquish when it's turned over during the ice chase in DAD. Again, resourcefulness and using the gadget in and outside-the-box way.
    My first vote goes also to the machine guns. The ejector button joke is good fun but feels a bit forced. The moment at Skyfall has great tension when the men are approaching to the house and suddenly the machine guns are visible. It should have been obvious but it surprised me the first time and amazed me every time. It's an intense moment and the guns aren't underused this time (compared to GF).

I thought about the possible inclusion of the ejector moment in DAD @BT3366
    It's a creative variation for the usage of an ejector seat...(don't know if it makes much sense ?!)
    The second match is difficult for me, I enjoy both moments a lot. The ejection in Rome stands out a bit more for me. SP doesn't have many good action moments but the end of the car chase is atmospheric when Bond finally sets Hinx' car on fire (combined with the score, which works here better than before) and Bond doesn't exactly know what happens when he pushes the air button. This scene mainly wins because I love the stylish landing of Bond. There aren't many cool moments like this in SP.

Machine gun
    just a lot more action and suspense

TND PTS ejection
    My favourite PTS, and a great scene
    Results of round 54:
    Two big wins:

Machine guns (SF) win easily against the ejector seat button (SF): 10: 1

TND PTS ejections wins easily against the ejection in Rome (SP): 9: 2

Round 55:

Twice in the series, Bond duels the main villain at their home which features many technical tricks. Mano-a-mano... Once with a lot of gunfire, once in a more atmospheric setting...Which final confrontation between Bond and the main villain do you prefer? Bond against Scaramanga (beach, fun house) vs. Bond against Whitaker (gaming room)

Connery never confronted a main villain in a similar way. But he had some memorable fist fights with henchmen. Which one do you prefer: Bond against Jacques Bouvar (TB PTS fight) vs. Bond against The Rock's grandfather (office fight, YOLT).

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond vs Whitaker

and

YOLT fight.

Both pretty easily.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond against Scaramanga - better setting for a duel; more obstacles and shadows to hide; not knowing the whereabouts of each other is thrilling.

Bond against Jacques Bouvar - great choreography, using every bit of furniture in this fight. Similar to the one with Capungo, but better.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

Round 55:

Bond against (beach, fun house)
    even though I rank TLD higher than TMWTGG I could tell the first time I watched the 1987 Bond film that this was a redo of the similar scene from the 1974 Bond film

and

Bond against Jacques Bouvar(TB PTS fight)
    along with TLD my top 2 PTSs in the series.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. Bond against Scaramanga
    2. Bond against The Rock's grandfather
  • These are both pretty tough to rank.

I like both Dalton's battle against Whitaker and Moore's against Scaramanga. But ultimately, the creepier and more disorienting setting of the funhouse and the greater build of suspense wins out for me:

Bond against Scaramanga

Bond's fight against the Rock's grandfather, Peter Maivia, and the fight with Jacques Bouvar are indeed two of the best choreographed and executed in the series. But ultimately, the raw brutality in the choreography, music, and editing in TB's PTS wins out for me here:

Bond against Jacques Bouvar
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Damn this is hard:

Although I wish Bond vs Whitaker was as long as Bond vs Scaramanga, it still wins this battle since Dalton was great being on his heels until the very last beat. It’s an amazing battle.

For the second round, I went back and forth. I’m going with YOLT: I love the way it’s shot and I think the fight choreography was more intense.
  • Bond vs Scaramanga
    Bond vs Jacques Bouvar
    Agree with Peter, these are tough, but that's part of the fun.

For the first one, I'm going to surprise myself and vote Bond against Whitaker in TLD. I make this choice in the way it's all executed. Whitaker is admittedly one of the lamest main villains of the series, while Scaramanga is a legendary villain played by a legendary actor.

The beach setting for the duel is great, but that's where it goes downhill. There's actual suspense and you want to know what happens. Then comes the twists. This makes the Scaramanga character seem less deadly, less intriguing as he has to resort to trickery and deception to achieve his ends. We get a repeat of the fun house visit and Bond simply shooting Scaramanga is kinda' anticlimactic.

Whereas with TLD, we get a brief but nice beginning with Bond infiltrating Whitaker's compound with Felix's guidance and you don't expect much. That's where it gets fun. Whitaker goes nuts and Bond knows he's in trouble and Dalton does a good job of selling that. Barry's music adds to it. I admit the use of a gadget to finish Whitaker isn't that satisfying, but getting him there was what counted and an appropriate one-liner.

One part that should've been improved was Bond repeatedly shooting at Whitaker's shield, going for the head. The rest of his body is open, James, take out his leg or midsection!

Question 2 is even tougher. Both of these fights are atmospheric and brutal. Bob Simmons is in top form in choreographing these. I have to stay true to my favorite, TB and go with Bond against Jacques Bovard. A great set-up. Bond spouts a cool line and pops a "widow." I can only imagine what that would've been like in the excitement of Bondmania at its height along with a packed cinema. Great use of props in the fight, Barry's music contributes and a visual joke tops it off.

What could've just been an Oddjob wannabe fight - they cloned Fiona Volpe after all for this film - in YOLT comes off memorable, the best action scene in the film for me and one of the best fights in the series. Starts with a fun line, love the guy's surprise and makes you feel the suspense and the hard hits. Somebody made a good decision to not use Barry music during this. Two nice jokes, the looking at the statue, followed up on later in the film for a bonus one, and the Siamese vodka line. Classic Bond. Sadly, that's pretty much where YOLT peaks for me.
    Good to see that this round is tougher than the last. The winners aren't set, yet.
    Great comment @BT3366. I wasn't aware of the absence of music during the YOLT fight. I need to watch the two fights again before I can give my vote. Both are standout moments of the two films, imo.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Oddly, I vastly prefer TLD and YOLT but...

I vote for Bond v. Scaramanga and Bond vs. Bouvar because, in both of these films, the conflict between Bond and the villain/henchman is set up more strongly.
    I like both villain confrontations, but Bond vs Scaramanga is more suspenseful. Bond already is in a place of disadvantage, and when he loses his gun, it feels like he's in some reeeal trouble.

I usually dislike hand-to-hand combat a lot, except if it's extremely well choreographed or at a great setting. Otherwise I'm really bored. So I don't care for these two scenes. In the YOLT office fight, at least, there's a great build-up of suspense with the space capsule capture, the political implications and high stakes, the murder of Henderson and the spywork Bond performs. So the fight fits in quite well.
    Bond against Whitaker wins for me. @BT3366 mentioned already the not so smart shooting against Whitaker's shield instead of shooting in the leg first. Everything else is good and I especially like Whitaker's tricks i.e. the canon and the fact that fact that Bond is in real danger for a moment (and we can see it in his face). It is absolutely fine that it isn't going on for too long. Brief but heavy loaded.

The moment where Bond knocks out a guard at the pool isn't totally convincing (isn't it too bright there? Doesn't he miss the guard too obviously?), although it s cool that Felix helps Bond to “navigate“. This part isn't really important here since this happens before the duel with the villain.
    I really like the final confrontation. I wouldn't list it as a top 10 moment of the movie but it is great to have a “gunfight“ between Bond and the main villain without any other allies or henchmen involved. Scaramanga talked about “ mano a mano“ but we had to wait another 13 years before we got what we already deserved in TMWTGG. The beginning of the duel between Bond and Scaramanga at the beach begins in a perfect “classic“ way but from the moment Scaramanga disappears, it isn't a real duel anymore. The tension that builds up is good but the twist is very unrealistic and disappointing. I would have preferred it when Scaramanga would have fired his bullet and somehow missed. And they should have used the beach much more!

I love both fights!
    The office fight is by far thr best action scene in YOLT and Bond using that couch as a weapon is awesome. I planned to rewatch the scenes before giving my vote but I don t have enough data for watching videos during my holidays...Bond vs. Bouvar gets my vote because it feels a bit mire intense with all the furnitures, knives, chairs involved and I like the fast editing.

Something I didn't comment about but thought about was the Bond using the couch in the YOLT fight. I don't particularly like the idea. Just how did he think it would stop that guy, especially when he eventually just swats it aside? The only thing I can think of is he was using it as a temporary distraction as he tries to figure a better way to take his opponent on.

I do like how both the TB and YOLT fights use the objects in the spaces the fights go on in in a creative way.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,389
    Results of round 55:

Mano a mano: Bond duels Scaramanga wins against Bond duels Whitaker: 7:4
    Fights: Bond vs. Jacques Bouvar wins against Bond vs. The Rock's grandfather: 7:4

Round 56:

Tracy isn't mentioned by name in later installments but she is part of some dialogues.
    Which moment do you prefer (dialogue, acting, incorporation in the movie etc.): Tracy reference in TSWLM vs. Tracy reference in LTK

TSWLM:
    Bond: The lady will have a Baccardi on the rocks.
    Amasova: For the gentleman, vodka martini, shaken not stirred.
    Bond: Touché.
    Amasova: Commander James Bond, recruited to the British Secret Service from the Royal Navy. Licensed to kill, and has done so on numerous occasions. Many lady friends, but married only once. Wife killed…
    (Bond interrupting): All right, you’ve made your point.
    Amasova:You’re sensitive, Mr. Bond.
    Bond: About certain things, yes.

LTK:
    Della: Oh James. I wanted you to have something. You know the tradition? The next one who catches this is the next one who…
    Bond: No. (Silence) Thanks, Della. It’s time I left.
    Della: James. (Bond catches the garter and gets into the car). Did I say something wrong?
    Felix: He was married once. But it was a long time ago. (Bond drives away).

Bond lost two women he cared a lot/loved in the Craig era. The tragic fate/backstory of Vesper and the sympathy and respect Bond showed for M are linked/symbolized by two objects (once tragical, once humorous). Which object (combined with the moments it is shown) do you prefer/ is incorporated the better way:
    Algerian Love Knot Necklace (CR/QoS) vs. M's bulldog (SF; and in Bond's apartment in SP)