The 007 furniture and interior thread

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Revelator wrote: »
    I want to pay tribute to @Torgeirtrap 's incredible eagle eyes by collecting his other posts on the recurring furniture in the Bond films.

* The recurring wall clock.

* Blofeld's consistent taste in art.

* The saga of the black table, Part One!

* The saga of the black table, continued!! (& enter the table lamp!)

* The suspiciously similar illustrations & the saga of the black table, Part Three!!!

* The plucky orange table lamp

* The black table that would not die, Part Four!!!!

* The case of the prolific desks and cabinets

* Office lamps a-go-go!

* The lamp that changed shades

* Return to the clock and yet another lamp!

* The desks don't quit!

* Maps don't play favorites

* The vengeance of the lamps & the case of the stolen prints!

* Double drawer trouble

It's the furniture's world, James Bond just happens to live in it!

Thank you @Revelator! Nice summary this; I'd even forgotten about some of these! Good thing I got all my "finds" written down in case there are more recurring items that pops up. There are a few potential new ones I hope to post soon :-)
    MeetBond wrote: »
    LOVE this idea for a thread. Let's get back to the FILMS and stop arguing about production and business.

Can someone post a screenshot of Mr Big's hideout? I recall it is very dark, sexy, and taboo. It delves into the taboo if I'm not mistaken. Apologies if the screenshot is not suitable for this site, it is a kid friendly site.

Had anyone noticed, when Mr Big peels back his fake mask, he goes from irate, downright nasty, to "all smiles" in a matter of seconds. My friends and I have coined the term, "all smiles", specifically to describe Mr Big's transformation in this scene, and transferred it to other aspects of life.

Are there any specific shots of Mr. Big's hideout are you are thinking about, @MeetBond?

Yes! Love Kananga's transformation in this scene. For general things you notice in the films, that you find worth pointing out, there's the I've never noticed that before… thread. It's one of my favourite threads here on the forum!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    BOND : "What the f**k is next...IKEA ????"

:))
    _________

The Fog og Mørup Beta desklamp designed by Jo Hammerborg, is Monepenny's desk lamp of choice in FRWL and GF. She must be quite the interior design buff!

fm-2-53-1.jpg
    Lois-Maxwell-640x385.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=36490&stc=1&d=1395908113.jpg

This is invaluable information for me.

Are you looking for one of these, @PropertyOfALady? If you are, and find some, let me know where!

No, I am doing a write-up on Moneypenny's anteroom and M's office.
    I want to pay tribute to @Torgeirtrap 's incredible eagle eyes by collecting his other posts on the recurring furniture in the Bond films.

* The recurring wall clock.

* Blofeld's consistent taste in art.

* The saga of the black table, Part One!

* The saga of the black table, continued!! (& enter the table lamp!)

* The suspiciously similar illustrations & the saga of the black table, Part Three!!!

* The plucky orange table lamp

* The black table that would not die, Part Four!!!!

* The case of the prolific desks and cabinets

* Office lamps a-go-go!

* The lamp that changed shades

* Return to the clock and yet another lamp!

* The desks don't quit!

* Maps don't play favorites

* The vengeance of the lamps & the case of the stolen prints!

* Double drawer trouble

It's the furniture's world, James Bond just happens to live in it!

Thank you @Revelator! Nice summary this; I'd even forgotten about some of these! Good thing I got all my "finds" written down in case there are more recurring items that pops up. There are a few potential new ones I hope to post soon :-)
    MeetBond wrote: »
    LOVE this idea for a thread. Let's get back to the FILMS and stop arguing about production and business.

Can someone post a screenshot of Mr Big's hideout? I recall it is very dark, sexy, and taboo. It delves into the taboo if I'm not mistaken. Apologies if the screenshot is not suitable for this site, it is a kid friendly site.

Had anyone noticed, when Mr Big peels back his fake mask, he goes from irate, downright nasty, to "all smiles" in a matter of seconds. My friends and I have coined the term, "all smiles", specifically to describe Mr Big's transformation in this scene, and transferred it to other aspects of life.

Are there any specific shots of Mr. Big's hideout are you are thinking about, @MeetBond?

Yes! Love Kananga's transformation in this scene. For general things you notice in the films, that you find worth pointing out, there's the I've never noticed that before… thread. It's one of my favourite threads here on the forum!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    BOND : "What the f**k is next...IKEA ????"

:))
    _________

The Fog og Mørup Beta desklamp designed by Jo Hammerborg, is Monepenny's desk lamp of choice in FRWL and GF. She must be quite the interior design buff!

fm-2-53-1.jpg
    Lois-Maxwell-640x385.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=36490&stc=1&d=1395908113.jpg

This is invaluable information for me.

Are you looking for one of these, @PropertyOfALady? If you are, and find some, let me know where!

No, I am doing a write-up on Moneypenny's anteroom and M's office.

Interesting! Are there any other interior details you need?
    You might be able to help by having a gander through this thread:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/9859/ms-office
    You might be able to help by having a gander through this thread:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/9859/ms-office

I'll have a read through that thread, @PropertyOfALady! :-)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Monepenny keeping up with designer pieces: in TMWTGG it's the Harvey Guzzini Faro Table Lamp that can be seen on her desk.

cac1a7453d5dd91b7c6a0d6647c4c91e.png
    Harvey-Guzzini-Faro-Table-Lamp-9.jpg

Having a quick look for more information, this lamp appears to have been made between 1970 and 1981, by iGuzzini (later iGuzzini illuminazione). More details can be found here.
    The Louis Poulsen PH 4/3 table lamp, designed in 1967 by Danish architect Poul Henningsen, is M's desk lamp of choice in QoS:

al010-m-judi-dench-quantum-solace-louis-polsen-ph-43-lamp.jpg?itok=gap8oLDk

More info can be found on jamesbondlifestyle.com
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    These design tidbits are great. Interesting thread.
    These design tidbits are great. Interesting thread.

Thanks, @Thunderfinger! I hope to find out more about various interior pieces we see in the films, and post the findings here. :-)
    A couple of lamps seen in Live and Let Die (info from vintageinfo.be):

An Aldo Nason 1970s Torpedo lamp can be seen in the background of Mr.Big/Kananga's NY digs:
    575a1827d4be8407d85516795dc2d1e6.png

A Sciolari Cubic chandelier lamp can be seen in Kananga's lair:
    394d0a267b4ed2e74884751d39b1b9ba.png
    The Artemide Tolomeo Basculante Tavolo table lamp can be seen in M's SF office. Designed by Michele De Lucchi and Giancarlo Fassina in 2004.

6842-1532336916.jpg

Also designed by Michele de Lucchi and Giancarlo Fassina, the Artemide Tolomeo Micro table lamp can be seen in the offices as well.

6863-1532336916.jpg

The Anglepoise Type 1228 Desk Lamp can be seen in the underground offices. Designed by Sir Kenneth Grange in 2004.

11086690-6817719-His_comments_provoked_a_lot_of_criticism_on_Twitter_but_many_hav-a-1_1552775650302.jpg

As if that's not enough office lamps, the Anglepoise model 75 lamp also features. Designed by Sir Kenneth Grange.

ac062-anglepoise-type-75-desk-lamp-bond-moneypenny.jpg?itok=5QkinzUv

Anglepoise are also Bond's lamps of choice. The Anglepoise model 1227 can be seen in Bond's SP apartment. Designed by George Carwardine.

1796b9f3abda5a713d2aa2539a94dc19.jpg
    M voice How the hell do you know these things? :D
    M voice How the hell do you know these things? :D

It's incredible what you can find out with a bit of Google searching!

(I'll be copying the relevant info to the M's Office thread.)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Just found this thread, @Torgeirtrap I bow to your research skill's . Brilliant work.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I too have just discovered this thread - big fan of period interiors, both in and out of Bond.
    Just found this thread, @Torgeirtrap I bow to your research skill's . Brilliant work.

Thanks, @Resurrection! Some of these were easy to find though!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I too have just discovered this thread - big fan of period interiors, both in and out of Bond.

I blame Bond for my interest in interiors (particularly 60's-70's interior). With this thread I have an excuse for finding out more about the interiors we see in the films!
    I think Fleming himself would be impressed too with @Torgeirtrap, with his insistence not just on the right brand but on specific models made by those brands.

Fleming would probably have glanced at the Anglepoise 75 and thought “no, that’s not good enough for my novels, it should be the 1228”
    I think Fleming himself would be impressed too with @Torgeirtrap, with his insistence not just on the right brand but on specific models made by those brands.

Fleming would probably have glanced at the Anglepoise 75 and thought “no, that’s not good enough for my novels, it should be the 1228”

Oh, I don't know about that, @IGotABrudder – it's hardly journalistic research efforts I've been doing here, haha! There are fortunately some great online sites with valuable information, like jamesbondlifestyle.com. The rest can easily be collected from other sources. Anglepoise in particular, have plenty of information on their own website.

I don't doubt Fleming would have been that particular about which lamps he'd like or not, though!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 2,887
    Well, speaking of Fleming, furnishings, and lamps, here is a photo of Ian's bedroom!

ASevmm7.jpg

Now, what model of lamp is that?
    The bedroom by the way is from Fleming's London apartment at 16 Victoria Square.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm very surprised he has a single bed.
    Great find, @Revelator! As noted by @Agent_99, it's surprising he had a single bed. Unless it was an apartment with several bedrooms?

Never seen a lamp like that before, though the detail at the top of the lamp reminds me of the detail we see on the lamp in M's (current) office:

CKmjstKWEAANJX7.jpg
    If I remember correctly, Ian's room was above Ann's. Perhaps she had a bigger, couple-sized bed? The single in Ian's room might have been an extra bed. Ian might have used it when he wanted to sleep while Ann was being a socialite and having friends over.
    If I remember correctly, Ian's room was above Ann's. Perhaps she had a bigger, couple-sized bed? The single in Ian's room might have been an extra bed. Ian might have used it when he wanted to sleep while Ann was being a socialite and having friends over.

That explains it! I imagine it would be clever for Ian too, if he was out late drinking at a gentlemen's club, to just crash on that bed without waking his wife.

I'm trying to identify the books on his desk. One of them looks to be Dangerous Marine Animals: That Bite, Sting, Shock, or Are Non-Edible, by Bruce W. Halstead, but what about some of the others?

md30082722131.jpg
    Ernest Cuneo’s Science and History https://www.ebay.com/itm/Science-and-History-Ernest-Cuneo-1963-Hardcover-1st-Edition-SIGNED/153845328857?hash=item23d1e56bd9:g:OmQAAOSwGpBeVVaN

There’s a Graham Greene there too but I cannot read the title.

Dangerous Marine Animals looks fantastic!
    I think you're correct! The book next to it is A Burnt-Out Case (1960) by Graham Greene.

BurntOutCase.jpg
    That’s it =D>
    Of course the book we really, really need to find there is Birds of the West Indies
    The book that is on top of the pile bang in the middle of the photo, upside down to us, looks like it might be Paul Gallico’s Too Many Ghosts of 1959

https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/fiction/paul-gallico-too-many-ghosts-doubleday-1959-first-edition-first-printing-minor-rubbing-and-toning-very-good/a/201235-92094.s
    Great work, both of you!

And you're right, @IGotABrudder – it would be great if we could find Birds of the West Indies among those books. It looks like the book closest to the camera has a title including a word ending with "…thern" (northern, southern, or something like that?), and the line below, a word ending with "…nd" (could it be island?). There's also a book in pile number three on the right side of the table, starting with the word "Guns".
    The book that is on top of the pile bang in the middle of the photo, upside down to us, looks like it might be Paul Gallico’s Too Many Ghosts of 1959

https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/fiction/paul-gallico-too-many-ghosts-doubleday-1959-first-edition-first-printing-minor-rubbing-and-toning-very-good/a/201235-92094.s

I think you might be right, @IGotABrudder! Looking at the release date of this book (1959) and A Burnt-Out Case (1960), this photo must have been taken in the early 60s.
    That's correct, the photo is from the Sept. 1963 issue of Vogue. Gallico was a friend of Fleming's, so that could indeed be a copy of Too Many Ghosts.

Birds of the West Indies was more likely to be found at Goldeneye, for use in birdwatching, than in Fleming's London home.

Here are the remaining photos from Victoria Square.

Fleming's "oddments":
    SH6yI47.jpg

Mementos of his heroes:
    mHcdDG3.jpg

And his bookshelf:
    1O4nGoe.jpg

• edited August 2020 Posts: 17,241
    That's correct, the photo is from the Sept. 1963 issue of Vogue. Gallico was a friend of Fleming's, so that could indeed be a copy of Too Many Ghosts.

Birds of the West Indies was more likely to be found at Goldeneye, for use in birdwatching, than in Fleming's London home.

Here are the remaining photos from Victoria Square.

Fleming's "oddments":
    SH6yI47.jpg

Mementos of his heroes:
    mHcdDG3.jpg

And his bookshelf:
    1O4nGoe.jpg

I imagine Fleming was gifted quite a few books back then! It would have been interesting to see his bookshelves up close, and get a better picture of what his reading habits were like. Some of his books are named in that article though; the one closest to the camera in that first photo you posted @Revelator, must be Northern Underground: Episodes of Russian Revolutionary Transport and Communications through Scandinavia and Finland, 1863-1917, by Michael Futrell (1963).

51x0etsInrL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I also see that same September issue has Jean Shrimpton on the cover. She could have made an interesting Bond girl back in the 60's.

19630901.jpg

And good point about Birds of the West Indies more likely being found at Goldeneye.