The What if thread...M had been re-cast for CR 2006? page 60

Comments

echo wrote: »
    Connery should have read "Welcome to hell, Blofeld" differently, IMHO.

I think it's perfect as is. He's quietly gloating over Blofeld's horrible death. That sort of line is best underplayed.
    He does the line well. Then when he discovers that the assassin of his wife is still alive and well he... Well, he seems just pretty cool with it.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    He does the line well. Then when he discovers that the assassin of his wife is still alive and well he... Well, he seems just pretty cool with it.

Yes, by that point the film has stopped maintaining any connection with OHMSS. DAF's relation to its predecessor was left intentionally ambiguous. Audiences who didn't take to Lazenby or OHMSS could watch this film without being explicitly reminded of them; audiences who did could interpret the opening scenes as referring to them. I wonder if those scenes owed more to Maibaum than Mankiewicz.
    Revelator wrote: »

Yes, by that point the film has stopped maintaining any connection with OHMSS. DAF's relation to its predecessor was left intentionally ambiguous. Audiences who didn't take to Lazenby or OHMSS could watch this film without being explicitly reminded of them; audiences who did could interpret the opening scenes as referring to them. I wonder if those scenes owed more to Maibaum than Mankiewicz.
    Good question. I'd lean toward Maibaum considering he worked on OHMSS and likely thought there should be at least some callback and closure.

I'm fine with the way this is all handled in the film. It seems to be just in the last several years that fans have started the outcry that DAF wasn't the follow-up revenge film it should've been. We can't go back in time to change any of that. The filmmakers could just very well have made absolutely no references to OHMSS.

I'm curious as to if any fans back between the release of OHMSS and DAF were expecting a follow-up similar to the novel of YOLT and if it colored their perception of DAF. My guess is the people were just so relieved to have Connery back it didn't matter a lick.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

This is exactly it. Once the PTS was over, the film retained absolutely no connection to it's predecessor.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    BT3366 wrote: »
    The filmmakers could just very well have made absolutely no references to OHMSS.

This is the heart of the continuity problems with the films. They love to dangle a touch of continuity when it feels convenient for them to do so, and then write it off completely, all in the same breath (film). They want to have it both ways: there is interconnectedness, sometimes, and also all the films are complete standalones.

• edited June 2020 Posts: 2,894
    I'm curious as to if any fans back between the release of OHMSS and DAF were expecting a follow-up similar to the novel of YOLT and if it colored their perception of DAF.

I'm sure there were, but back then of course there was no internet, so large numbers of fans could not share reactions so easily, and the press concerned itself much less with reporting fan reaction, since it served a mass audience and had less conception of niche audiences. Fleming's books were still selling very well back then, and there must have been thousands and thousands of readers wondering what the hell EON was going to do after OHMSS. Occasionally film critics who happened to be Fleming fans, like those at the Sunday Times, would note whether a film used or threw out the source novel. Perhaps further research will turn up more instances of this. "Fandom" is becoming a subject of academic and historical study, and there's a lot that could be discovered from studying how Bond fans in the 60s and early 70s shared news and discussions with each other. Unfortunately a lot of first generation Bond fans are no longer with us to report first-hand on this.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Interestingly, in an article from August 1969, published in The Australian Women's Weekly, it is said that Lazenby is expected to sign for The Man With the Golden Gun, set to be the next installment.
    Nice article!

"And when introductions
    were over and [Lazenby] retired to
    change his shirt and brush his
    teeth the room suddenly
    seemed empty without his
    dominating personality." 😄

"When the phone shrilled
    and his father (...) called to George that it
    was a television company on
    the phone, it was James
    Bond who walked into the
    room to sprawl languidly in
    an armchair to answer it.
    And from the tone of his
    voice it could have been 007
    arranging a coming danger-
    ous assignment instead of an
    impending appearance as a
    guest on a Sydney night show."

Now that's some overacting there...
    I'm curious as to if any fans back between the release of OHMSS and DAF were expecting a follow-up similar to the novel of YOLT and if it colored their perception of DAF.

I'm sure there were, but back then of course there was no internet, so large numbers of fans could not share reactions so easily, and the press concerned itself much less with reporting fan reaction, since it served a mass audience and had less conception of niche audiences. Fleming's books were still selling very well back then, and there must have been thousands and thousands of readers wondering what the hell EON was going to do after OHMSS. Occasionally film critics who happened to be Fleming fans, like those at the Sunday Times, would note whether a film used or threw out the source novel. Perhaps further research will turn up more instances of this. "Fandom" is becoming a subject of academic and historical study, and there's a lot that could be discovered from studying how Bond fans in the 60s and early 70s shared news and discussions with each other. Unfortunately a lot of first generation Bond fans are no longer with us to report first-hand on this.

Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand fan community is a fairly new concept. If you were a Bond fan dissatisfied with the way the movies had been handled, or even say disliked the casting of Connery in 1962, you had nobody to complain to, back then they were just popular movies meant to please a large "generic" audience. If OHMSS didn't work because it was deemed too serious and its ending a downer, then let's make DAF a self parody and ignore as much as possible the previous film. If Lazenby didn't work as Bond, let's bring back Sean Connery.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 2,894
    Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand fan community is a fairly new concept.

Yes and no. Comics fandom for example took off in the 1960s. You had fan-produced magazines about Batman and large fan-conducted conventions starting in that decade. But though fan communities existed they weren't truly organized. That had to wait for the internet. If you were a disgruntled Bond fan, you didn't have a platform to share your opinions on, since the mass media wasn't interested. But by the early 70s there were organizations like the James Bond 007 Fan Club, which in 1974 began publishing an official magazine, Bondage. The James Bond International Fan Club followed suit in 1979 with OO7 Magazine. Were it not for the internet, many of us would probably be writing to (and for) such magazines instead of chatting on this board.
    Fan clubs did flourish back then for certain bands and performers and some shows - Man from U.N.C.L.E. for instance had a very successful one. They were very corporately controlled. Complain and it likely got you nowhere.

Surprised Eon never started one for Bond back then as it would've allowed them a lot of control. No doubt it would've had a huge following. When the JBFC started, the stories go Eon didn't cooperate with them because they dared to do interviews with people like Lazenby and didn't lend much support. When NSNA came out, there were a lot more features about it than OP.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great points by all concerned. I had wanted to talk about the "other fella's who were in the finals and somehow we ended up talking about Moore being cast! :)

Wonderful stuff and it's nice for me to remember the good old days of little bits of info coming to us in between the movies. It is rather unfathomable why EON never did an official fan club back in the day. Not that it would have had any bearing on the films but I did rather think that they wouldn't miss the chance for money and some control.

Next up lets go more recent. Recently there was a thread where Brosnan admitted in an interview that Mclory and him had talked about doing a remake of a remake! LOL! It was said that it was Pierce's team that had reached out to Kevin during the period between LTK and GE. Obviously before he was cast by Broccoli.

It got me to thinking. What if Brosnan had starred in a version of TB in the period of 90-92? What would that film had looked like? This obviously would have been the kiss of death of Pierce playing Bond in the EON series. So what would have happened to EON's production of GE? Would McClory been finally been able to best Broccoli and get a Bond film out when there was no chance for EON to produce one themselves.

What say you Mi6...what if Pierce Brosnan would have starred in a remake of TB in 1991?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    There was always the opportunity for greatness with McClory exercising his film rights.

Just no example of it. And I agree it would limit Pierce Brosnan to a single mission. Unless McClory picked him up again ten years later still.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,918
    There was always the opportunity for greatness with McClory exercising his film rights.

Just no example of it.

Well it was Brosnan's idea, or someone on his team. I think McClory would perhaps have not been a major player.

Also it was pointed out to me that around this time Cubby actually put Bond up for sale: so who knows- if Brosnan's movie had become a hit maybe that studio would have bought the full rights to the Bond films and Brosnan would have been the official Bond in a series of his own, just not with Eon in the picture anymore.
    In theory he could have ended up as the longest running Bond of them all, maybe even then move onto being a producer of the Bond films.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    I think I never commented here... OK, let's let my imagination go wild:

- To rival EON, McClory would have gotten the support of a powerful Hollywood mogul or VIP as a producer and/or director. I'm thinking the likes of Francis Ford Coppola (who AFAIK was actively involved on NSNA along with his sister Talia), Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Michael Eisner, Sid Sheinberg, Dino DeLaurentis, Kassar & Vajna... Who knows, maybe even some support from Lew Grade or the Scott brothers in the UK. It would have created a big hit & miss situation.
    - Cubby and Wilson would have greenlighted Property of a Lady with a hyper-motivated Dalton after the failure of Rocketeer.
    - The new Warhead story would have distanced itself from TB, just like EON did from TSWLM onwards, and would have followed a continuity similar to Daniel Craig's, just with lots of comedy added.
    - I'm positive that Connery and even Lazenby would have appeared. Sean as Blofeld or M and Lazenby in a cameo.
    - McClory or the director would have approached John Barry for a score, but he would refuse. The likes of John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Alan Silvestri, Lalo Schifrin, Elmer Bernstein would have been approached then. The song would have been a huge Oscar/Grammy/MTV bait with a pop superstar of the era like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Prince, George Michael, Kyle Minogue, Madonna (who also would have been a Bond girl, with an important part unlike her DAD cameo), The Rolling Stones, Frank Sinatra, INXS, Chris Isaak, Bon Jovi, The Bangles... It would have depended on the style they wanted for the song.
    - Note the abundance of American names. I think the Warhead series would have been more "American" than the EON series.

Well, that's about it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's an interesting thought that they might have got a more auteur name for director than Eon usually go for. A Bond film by De Palma would've been lovely.
    Where does this fiendish idea come from @thedove? As I recall, it was mega-Hollywood producer Joel Silver who attempted to buy the rights to James Bond back in the early 90's. Silver has gone on record as saying he would've cast long-time friend Mel Gibson as 007 had he gotten his way. This was after Cubby Broccoli had put the screen rights for James Bond up for sale. United Artists realized they had to do something to prevent Cubby selling up, so they negotiated with him and listened to his complaints. In response, UA put the right people in the right places to help him make the films he wanted, the way he wanted. But Bond was also in a bit of a state after the poor B.O. of LTK, so the idea that McClory would've been able to raise the finances to make yet another remake within 10 years of his previous remake, would never have gotten off the ground. Which of course it didn't. Surly a better "what if..." scenerio would've been had producer Joel Silver gotten to secure the film rights and cast Mel Gibson as 007. And where would we be today and how many 007s would we have seen in the interim? Clearly Gibson could not have kept playing 007 for very long, so another actor would need to have been cast before the century was out. The other question would be, without the Broccolis or Wilson involved, would the whole franchise have collapsed in on itself and been sold-off to yet another mega-Hollywood producer? I'm willing to bet that's precisely what would've happened.
    mtm wrote: »

Just no example of it.

Well it was Brosnan's idea, or someone on his team. I think McClory would perhaps have not been a major player.

Also it was pointed out to me that around this time Cubby actually put Bond up for sale: so who knows- if Brosnan's movie had become a hit maybe that studio would have bought the full rights to the Bond films and Brosnan would have been the official Bond in a series of his own, just not with Eon in the picture anymore.
    In theory he could have ended up as the longest running Bond of them all, maybe even then move onto being a producer of the Bond films.

That's more or less what I feel may have happened. Also, considering the head of MGM began selling TV rights to Bond, thus resulting in Cubby's lawsuit with MGM, we'd still have had a lengthy gap for EON regardless.
    Meanwhile, Pierce could have been living it up as Bond with his new buddy Kevin McClory.
    I can see the Brosnan/McClory series having it's own Bondian traditions: the zooming 007's replacing the gunbarrel, a sappy theme song over an opening action sequence, and Brosnan flaunting his physique in a pair of dungarees. What could have been.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Where does this fiendish idea come from @thedove? As I recall, it was mega-Hollywood producer Joel Silver who attempted to buy the rights to James Bond back in the early 90's. Silver has gone on record as saying he would've cast long-time friend Mel Gibson as 007 had he gotten his way. This was after Cubby Broccoli had put the screen rights for James Bond up for sale. United Artists realized they had to do something to prevent Cubby selling up, so they negotiated with him and listened to his complaints. In response, UA put the right people in the right places to help him make the films he wanted, the way he wanted. But Bond was also in a bit of a state after the poor B.O. of LTK, so the idea that McClory would've been able to raise the finances to make yet another remake within 10 years of his previous remake, would never have gotten off the ground. Which of course it didn't. Surly a better "what if..." scenerio would've been had producer Joel Silver gotten to secure the film rights and cast Mel Gibson as 007. And where would we be today and how many 007s would we have seen in the interim? Clearly Gibson could not have kept playing 007 for very long, so another actor would need to have been cast before the century was out. The other question would be, without the Broccolis or Wilson involved, would the whole franchise have collapsed in on itself and been sold-off to yet another mega-Hollywood producer? I'm willing to bet that's precisely what would've happened.

I have this hunch had Joel SIlver actually got the rights to Bond and put Mel in the role, we'd have an R rated Bond series akin to the Lethal Weapon films.
    However, I saw an interview where Gibson said he wasn't interested in playing Bond. I believe he thought the role was too silly or something to that effect.
    I would have been quite disappointed had this scenario occurred back then. I was loyally awaiting Cubby and Dalton's return. Franz Sanchez would have been proud.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    @bondsum I am afraid I can't take credit for this fiendish idea! Here is the thread that inspired me to create this topic!

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/19824/pierce-brosnan-attempted-to-make-a-rival-bond-film/p1
    Given the circumstances at the time, I'd have welcomed it, just as I welcomed NSNA at the time. But it would've depended on what they came up with. Another remake of TB wouldn't have been a great prospect. How many more remakes/reimaginings do we need?

I think Brosnan would've received nearly as good a reception as he got 4 years later. People still wanted him as Bond.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Given the circumstances at the time, I'd have welcomed it, just as I welcomed NSNA at the time. But it would've depended on what they came up with. Another remake of TB wouldn't have been a great prospect. How many more remakes/reimaginings do we need?

It'd be interesting to see how much a writer could twist it and still claim it to be an adaptation of TB. You'd certainly imagine there'd be a way to not have it sea-based again.
  • Did this project go as far as a written screenplay? I would be curious to know how McClory or the hired screenwriter would have diverted the initial plot of Thunderball to give rise to a new story. Given Brosnan's age, who was still in his prime and younger than Dalton, perhaps McClory would have taken the opposite route from NSNA and would have made this story a early mission for Bond.

If this film was actually made, I easily assume that the production of Bond 17 would have been fast-tracked and Dalton would have returned, whether it was a one-off or not, Brocolli would have seen no objection to it in this context.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    You know what would have been fun to me as an idea for Warhead? A movie where SPECTRE is a red herring and, following their weirdass code of honour, would have had SPECTRE and Bond working together.

Example: SPECTRE has developed an economical warhead and wants to sell to the highest bidder, including the States, the crumbling USSR or CIS, the UK, Japan, China, North Korea, India, France... There's even a NATO representative. During a tense auction in the most awesome underground lair ever, the warhead in display blows up, killing everyone there.
    Bond is called to action and meets Blofeld early on. Blofeld swears by the honor of SPECTRE he's also a victim of this conspiracy, and points Bond in the direction of the hottest Hollywood mogul: Alexis Largo, a yuppie with lots of connections... And from then on the action follows suit.
    Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand fan community is a fairly new concept.

Yes and no. Comics fandom for example took off in the 1960s. You had fan-produced magazines about Batman and large fan-conducted conventions starting in that decade. But though fan communities existed they weren't truly organized. That had to wait for the internet. If you were a disgruntled Bond fan, you didn't have a platform to share your opinions on, since the mass media wasn't interested. But by the early 70s there were organizations like the James Bond 007 Fan Club, which in 1974 began publishing an official magazine, Bondage. The James Bond International Fan Club followed suit in 1979 with OO7 Magazine. Were it not for the internet, many of us would probably be writing to (and for) such magazines instead of chatting on this board.

@Revelator What a name for a magazine! I can just imagine myself going to my local newsagent in the late 80s/early 90s and ask: "Do you have Bondage magazine?" And the guy at the till telling me: "Hey! All the porn we sell is legal and you're too young for it anyway!"

@thedove This is a very difficult "what if" as I always think Brosnan had his eyes on the big price, the role of Bond in the franchise itself, not a competing product. He'd never have dared angering EON. I'd honestly think McClory would have had to for somebody else, maybe whoever was hot at the time, regardless of suitability? Hugh Grant, Mel Gibson, maybe even an American like Kevin Costner?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,918
    You know what would have been fun to me as an idea for Warhead? A movie where SPECTRE is a red herring and, following their weirdass code of honour, would have had SPECTRE and Bond working together.

Example: SPECTRE has developed an economical warhead and wants to sell to the highest bidder, including the States, the crumbling USSR or CIS, the UK, Japan, China, North Korea, India, France... There's even a NATO representative. During a tense auction in the most awesome underground lair ever, the warhead in display blows up, killing everyone there.
    Bond is called to action and meets Blofeld early on. Blofeld swears by the honor of SPECTRE he's also a victim of this conspiracy, and points Bond in the direction of the hottest Hollywood mogul: Alexis Largo, a yuppie with lots of connections... And from then on the action follows suit.

That's fun! :)

@thedove This is a very difficult "what if" as I always think Brosnan had his eyes on the big price, the role of Bond in the franchise itself, not a competing product. He'd never have dared angering EON.

@Ludovico What makes you say that? He did. He has said so himself, it's on video and everything on that link above. He and a team of producers approached McClory (not the other way around note: he went to McClory) with a view to making a rival Bond film starring Brosnan himself: it was his idea, not McClory's. Presumably from his point of view at that point he'd already lost the gig in '86.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Brosnan actually did approach McClory, so he wasn't too concerned about angering EON. The only reason he backed out of it was because there was too much legal paperwork to be done to get it off the ground, and he didn't want that kind of stress. It is a good thing it didn't pan out, because EON might have not wanted him after doing a rival film and his career wouldn't be where it is today.

This is all based on this interview for when he was promoting TND. He talks about it towards the end. Starts at 12:56

I can imagine McClory doing endless remakes of TB...

Trailer narrator: Largo... Largo... Largo... these are just some of the formidable adversaries 007 has faced over the years, but now comes the most dangerous villain of them all!
    M: 007, you will be investigating Donovan Largo, a shady businessman with connections to SPECTRE.
    Bond: SPECTRE? How many employees do they have, anyway? And all of them are named Largo?
    M: Never mind that. You will make contact with Largo aboard his yacht, the Flying Volante, currently off the coast of Acapulco.
    (cut)
    Bond: Moneypenny, I'm not enjoying 00 work as much as I used to. It feels somewhat... repetitive.
    Moneypenny: Have you got an assignment, James?
    Bond: Yes, I'm to eliminate all free Largos.
    Trailer narrator: This summer, Kevin McClory's Largo Productions presents Pierce Brosnan as James Bond 007 in... Never Say Largo Again.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    It's advertising may have looked somewhat like this fan art by Stephane Tron. Just swap out Dalton for Brosnan and the EON production crew credits for McClory and company:

st_warhead_4.jpg
    mattjoes wrote: »

I can imagine McClory doing endless remakes of TB...

Trailer narrator: Largo... Largo... Largo... these are just some of the formidable adversaries 007 has faced over the years, but now comes the most dangerous villain of them all!
    M: 007, you will be investigating Donovan Largo, a shady businessman with connections to SPECTRE.
    Bond: SPECTRE? How many employees do they have, anyway? And all of them are named Largo?
    M: Never mind that. You will make contact with Largo aboard his yacht, the Flying Volante, currently off the coast of Acapulco.
    (cut)
    Bond: Moneypenny, I'm not enjoying 00 work as much as I used to. It feels somewhat... repetitive.
    Moneypenny: Have you got an assignment, James?
    Bond: Yes, I'm to eliminate all free Largos.
    Trailer narrator: This summer, Kevin McClory's Largo Productions presents Pierce Brosnan as James Bond 007 in... Never Say Largo Again.

And that was the problem with McClory's idea. Because he was limited to do versions of TB, didn’t he?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Didn't McClory try striking a deal with Sony to get an adaptation of CR done?