NTTD Main Titles & Gunbarrel - Designed by Daniel Kleinman (SPOILERS)

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    A bit off topic, but was there any particular reason Kleinman didn't make the QoS PTS?

Because MK12 were Marc Forster guys.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,607
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Steady on, chaps.

I was referring to the song, if I we can call it that. The titles were ok. Not brilliant or anything. Just...meh.
    Song: bah; titles: meh.

;)
    A bit off topic, but was there any particular reason Kleinman didn't make the QoS PTS?

I see. Didn't know a director could have any power over the decision of who to pick for the PTS. Then again, Mendes and Fukunaga got their men for the scores.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Univex wrote: »
    Steady on, chaps.

I was referring to the song, if I we can call it that. The titles were ok. Not brilliant or anything. Just...meh.

;)

I see. I think it's still a bit over the top, though. I didn't mind the song or the titles of course. ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited July 2019 Posts: 7,986

I see. Didn't know a director could have any power over the decision of who to pick for the PTS. Then again, Mendes and Fukunaga got their men for the scores.

It’s been like this since GE. The director will bring in his crew of choice, and any other spots that need to be filled are done by EON. At least from GE to QOS, no director really had their own composer as a regular collaborator. For example: Campbell regularly worked with Phil Méheux as DP, so naturally he came on board for GE and CR. That’s why Roger Deakins came in as DP as he was a regular collaborator of Mendes (though turned down SP because he didn’t want to “repeat” himself).

I suspect Arnold will only be brought back by EON if a future director does not have a regular collaborator. I suspect had Boyle not bailed he would have likely brought in A. R. Rahman to do the score.
    Steady on, chaps.

;)

I see. I think it's still a bit over the top, though. I didn't mind the song or the titles of course. ;)

It's an OTT opinion, my own, that's for sure. Doesn't make it less true to me.
    Now, the hyperbole was clearly meant as a joke ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Steady on, chaps.

;)

I understand of course and I'm sure I hold many obtuse Bond opinions myself. Thankfully this community is a sort of "parliament of Bond opinion" so our differing opinions are all safely catered for here. :)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,607
    Steady on, chaps.

;)

I understand of course and I'm sure I hold many obtuse Bond opinions myself. Thankfully this community is a sort of "parliament of Bond opinion" so our differing opinions are all safely catered for here. :)

Exactly, one man's obtuse opinion is another man's peeve. Ain't that the very soul of the forums? ;)

There are, of course, some obtuse opinion's shared by most. And other's one doesn't even dare to dream about.

There are just a few things that tickle my nausea center when Bond is concerned. Not that this is the thread for them, but here they are just the same: Almost every minute of DUD; Bond in a clown suit; brothergate; SP's song; SP's piss filter; and most of DAF. That's about it. I can even take a double taking pigeon. But that song with falsetto and the naked Bond and the octopus just flipping irks me.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 2,586

Marc Forster wanted MK12.

I was notably disappointed with the Spectre pre titles sequence. I didn't like how Kleinman used footage from the actual film. It just seemed lazy and wishy washy to to me. I felt the same with QOS.

It’s been like this since GE. The director will bring in his crew of choice, and any other spots that need to be filled are done by EON. At least from GE to QOS, no director really had their own composer as a regular collaborator. For example: Campbell regularly worked with Phil Méheux as DP, so naturally he came on board for GE and CR. That’s why Roger Deakins came in as DP as he was a regular collaborator of Mendes (though turned down SP because he didn’t want to “repeat” himself).

I suspect Arnold will only be brought back by EON if a future director does not have a regular collaborator. I suspect had Boyle not bailed he would have likely brought in A. R. Rahman to do the score.

That true of course, but specifically for pre-title sequences it's a bit unusual, given that Kleinman has worked on so many of the films.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I must admit the title sequence for SP was a bit weak overall. Although the moment Vesper first appeared from those shards of glass I got chills right down my back. Kleinman's still hasn't lost his touch imo.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 137
    One interesting thing about MK12 was the visual design language they also bought to the film. Essentially it became a GUI template for which some of the games of the time also aped. It's pretty cool stuff.

complexity_1-436x215.png
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Best News in a while!
    I don't it's kleinmans fault the SF and sp titles turned out the way they did. I think it was Mendes. The actual graphics are done superbly
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 2,586
    Steady on, chaps.

;)

I must be one of the few people who likes "Writing's On The Wall". :)
    Good point. I've always thought of it as being from Sam Smith's perspective. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I rather like TWOTW, except for Smith's high pitch efforts, which make him sound feminine and starting with the Bee Gees, I have always hated that.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think it’s an okay song, and the instrumental aspect is certainly Bondian enough, but the song is one of the few written from Bond’s perspective, and Bond should never sound like a whinny schoolgirl.

How do I live ?
    How do I breathe?
    Ugh, how do you live with yourself before,go have a drink clear your mind (I would suggest to bond).
    Lyrics never sounded very bondian to me
    I think it’s an okay song, and the instrumental aspect is certainly Bondian enough, but the song is one of the few written from Bond’s perspective, and Bond should never sound like a whinny schoolgirl.

How do I live ?
    How do I breathe?
    Ugh, how do you live with yourself before,go have a drink clear your mind (I would suggest to bond).

Still better than, "Sigmund Freud, analyse this." ;-)

But in both cases, Kleinman saves the day. His titles distract me from the lyrics.
    If I watch SP (very very rarely if at all) I fast-forward through the titles anyway.
    It only took Smudger 10 minutes to write that song.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,541
    DarthDimi wrote: »

How do I live ?
    How do I breathe?

But in both cases, Kleinman saves the day. His titles distract me from the lyrics.

Haha can't argue with that. I felt the same,kleinman titles are absolutely stunning. SF is his best work imo. I hope Cary put some of his ideas into the sequence.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If I watch SP (very very rarely if at all) I fast-forward through the titles anyway.

You can do what teens do these days: whip out your phone and start toggling between all the lovely applications. ;-)
    I really didn’t like the song at first, but over time it’s grown on me to the point that I’m okay with it. Not great praise, of course. But I can’t say the same of “Another Way to Die”, a song I only grow to dislike the more I hear it.
    I really didn’t like the song at first, but over time it’s grown on me to the point that I’m okay with it. Not great praise, of course. But I can’t say the same of “Another Way to Die”, a song I only grow to dislike the more I hear it.

Agreed on AWTD, which is a shame because I think the song has a great riff which worked well in Arnold's score
    I don’t think AWTD is featured in Arnold’s score, as that was another song he had no involvement with.
    At least one track - Field Trip - has an AWTD reference.
    I'm sure it appears in Target Terminated as well
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I disagree. "Sigmund Freud." was several seconds and wasn't repeated. Smith's falsetto was repeated several times and lasted 30 some seconds each. I was cringing in my seat hearing it. I wish Adele sang it.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I disagree. "Sigmund Freud." was several seconds and wasn't repeated. Smith's falsetto was repeated several times and lasted 30 some seconds each. I was cringing in my seat hearing it. I wish Adele sang it.

True that, @Murdock. The problem is that Smith wrote himself a song he couldn't properly sing. Sheryl Crow made a similar mistake back in '97.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

True that, @Murdock. The problem is that Smith wrote himself a song he couldn't properly sing. Sheryl Crow made a similar mistake back in '97.

Yeah, I like the instrumental version of WOTW by I never enjoyed Crow's song for TND. Surrender would have been much more ideal for the titles.