NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

Zimmer won't be rehashing Newman's dregs I am pretty sure of that.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    vzok wrote: »
    If they wanted continuity they could have got Newman back.

Perhaps, but after Romer’s dismissal it was probably too short a notice. Part of why Zimmer got the gig is because he has a ton of collaborators within Remote Control Productions that can help him finish the score.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Maybe he'll throw in a reference to "Madeleine" or something like that. Possibly during her and Bond's time in Matera. Who knows.

It would make sense that Zimmer would utilise the "Madeleine" theme, but outside of that I'm ready to hear an original soundtrack. While I did like the occasion track from Newman's last two efforts, overall I find them to be pretty weak additions to the franchise. I'd rather Zimmer take inspiration from Barry.
  • I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t even a reference to Madeleine’s theme. Yes, the track is called “Madeleine” but unlike Vesper’s, it didn’t feel like the motif was featured enough in the film for it to really feel like Madeleine’s theme.

Like others have mentioned, it makes sense if there’s some “inspiration” by Newman. One of my biggest criticisms of the SF/SP scores is that Newman seemed to be attempting to evoke Zimmer at points and it ended up sounding generic and flat as it usually does when composers try to imitate his sound. His scores were at their best when Newman was being Newman. Not Barry, not Zimmer. My hope is that Zimmer maintains his originality and stays true to himself musically.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t even a reference to Madeleine’s theme. Yes, the track is called “Madeleine” but unlike Vesper’s, it didn’t feel like the motif was featured enough in the film for it to really feel like Madeleine’s theme.

Like others have mentioned, it makes sense if there’s some “inspiration” by Newman. One of my biggest criticisms of the SF/SP scores is that Newman seemed to be attempting to evoke Zimmer at points and it ended up sounding generic and flat as it usually does when composers try to imitate his sound. His scores were at their best when Newman was being Newman. Not Barry, not Zimmer. My hope is that Zimmer maintains his originality and stays true to himself musically.

Yeah, Good points....but like other RCP composers, one thing Zimmer is so good at doing is, he can ape and still retain his style....very evident in 'The Lone Ranger' & recently what Lorne Balfe did with Mark Mancina's Bad Boy's theme....aping Mancina but still retaining his style....even if Mancina is a RCP composer as well....another thing is, if Newman sounded completely like Newman...we might have had an 'American Beauty' or 'Road to perdition' score....which are good scores, but can't fit in with Bond. Let's say like Zimmer, Newman couldn't ape & retain.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t even a reference to Madeleine’s theme. Yes, the track is called “Madeleine” but unlike Vesper’s, it didn’t feel like the motif was featured enough in the film for it to really feel like Madeleine’s theme.

Yeah, Good points....but like other RCP composers, one thing Zimmer is so good at doing is, he can ape and still retain his style....very evident in 'The Lone Ranger' & recently what Lorne Balfe did with Mark Mancina's Bad Boy's theme....aping Mancina but still retaining his style....even if Mancina is a RCP composer as well....another thing is, if Newman sounded completely like Newman...we might have had an 'American Beauty' or 'Road to perdition' score....which are good scores, but can't fit in with Bond. Let's say like Zimmer, Newman couldn't ape & retain.

I know AB and RTP are two quintessential Newman scores but I think tracks like New Digs, Day Wasted, Skyfall, L’Americain, Crows Klinik, Secret Room, Sade House, etc. are all very “Newman” sounding while also being fitting for Bond. I think it’s entirely possible (and frankly beneficial) to make a Bond appropriate score without aping Barry or anyone else for that matter.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I know AB and RTP are two quintessential Newman scores but I think tracks like New Digs, Day Wasted, Skyfall, L’Americain, Crows Klinik, Secret Room, Sade House, etc. are all very “Newman” sounding while also being fitting for Bond. I think it’s entirely possible (and frankly beneficial) to make a Bond appropriate score without aping Barry or anyone else for that matter.

Yeah, true...I do like some Newman Bond tracks, I think Newman really got Bond in the track 'Old Dog, New Tricks', even if it was rejected by Mendes for being too suggestive...it's just that getting the balance right in all his tracks seemed to be what prevented him from doing well like other Non-Barry Composers. Just like George Martin's LALD score....it was so good, we didn't even feel Barry's absence.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Have a feeling Zimmer's just being nice....he could actually be taking inspiration from scores like OHMSS & TLD.

At the same time, it makes more sense to use Thomas Newman's scores as a source of inspiration rather than any of John Barry's past scores because the reality is that John Barry never scored a Daniel Craig film. EON likely wants to maintain some musical continuity between films hence why Newman was using David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme.

But that's all supposition. For all we know Zimmer may be making the most John Barry sounding soundtrack that Bond has ever had since 1987, but I personally have my doubts. I still look forward to what he ultimately delivers.

Yeah, all true....I really do want a Stellar Bond Score though, especially after the long wait....i think the music of Bond is the biggest when it comes to film music. Coz i can't think of a movie franchise where fans worry about it's music like Bond fans do.
    It is very odd. Yet how much does the score impact the final verdict of the film?
    • Why do fans prefer FYEO over MR but the latter has the better score?
    • Why do fans consider GE to be Brosnan's best Bond film when the score is considered the worst of the four?
    • Why do so many fans prefer LTK over TLD when the score of TLD is so much better?

Yes we want a great score, its only natural, but it will have very little impact on our final assessment of the film.

• edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Very interesting and accurate point, @NicNac .

In fact, your comment lifts my mood :-).
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Have a feeling Zimmer's just being nice....he could actually be taking inspiration from scores like OHMSS & TLD.

At the same time, it makes more sense to use Thomas Newman's scores as a source of inspiration rather than any of John Barry's past scores because the reality is that John Barry never scored a Daniel Craig film. EON likely wants to maintain some musical continuity between films hence why Newman was using David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme.

But that's all supposition. For all we know Zimmer may be making the most John Barry sounding soundtrack that Bond has ever had since 1987, but I personally have my doubts. I still look forward to what he ultimately delivers.

Yeah, all true....I really do want a Stellar Bond Score though, especially after the long wait....i think the music of Bond is the biggest when it comes to film music. Coz i can't think of a movie franchise where fans worry about it's music like Bond fans do.
    It is very odd. Yet how much does the score impact the final verdict of the film?
    • Why do fans consider GE to be Brosnan's best Bond film when the score is considered the worst of the four?
    • Why do so many fans prefer LTK over TLD when the score of TLD is so much better?

Yes we want a great score, its only natural, but it will have very little impact on our final assessment of the film.

+1
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yeah, all true...but it's just that am an avid soundtrack fan...especially with Bond music. I just feel it's better to have a very good score....just in case. I know movies like The Good, The Bad & The Ugly are so very good with it's original plot....but I can't help but wonder if the film would have been what it is today....if Ennio Morricone's Sublime & Universally Popular Score had not accompanied it. I just feel a great score makes even a strong or weak film better....even if it wasn't the score's initial intention. Sometimes one might be revisiting a film frequently....but don't know why, coz deep down they know they've had their fill visually....but it might just be the score....which of course, they'll end up knowing later. It just makes me wonder what might have been...had David Arnold scored SP & worked with a Rock/Pop Singer or Band on the title song....not that it was going to change the film's plot...but we would have felt something different & possibly better.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Yeah, all true...but it's just that am an avid soundtrack fan...especially with Bond music. I just feel it's better to have a very good score....just in case. I know movies like The Good, The Bad & The Ugly are so very good with it's original plot....but I can't help but wonder if the film would have been what it is today....if Ennio Morricone's Sublime & Universally Popular Score had not accompanied it. I just feel a great score makes even a strong or weak film better....even if it wasn't the score's initial intention. Sometimes one might be revisiting a film frequently....but don't know why, coz deep down they know they've had their fill visually....but it might just be the score....which of course, they'll end up knowing later. It just makes me wonder what might have been...had David Arnold scored SP & worked with a Rock/Pop Singer or Band on the title song.

I would agree that something like Morricone's soundtrack to Once Upon A Time In The West was the main thing that drove the film visually, and sometimes we can't help but be moved by the music as much as we are moved by the images (Gladiator comes to mind).

But, I do think that the music of Bond, important though it is, doesn't effect us in the same way, despite its rich history. The title song grabs all of the headlines.
    I think the soundtrack will affect my take on the movie if it is below par. It’s a key component. Moonraker gets lifted up a lot by its majestic score. I’m looking forward to this one by Hans.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Not that NicNac doesn't make any good points, but movie scores are very important to me. 85% of the appeal the SW movies have to me is John Williams' music; if it weren't for that I wouldn't really care about that franchise existing in first place.
    I agree with many of the other comments -the soundtrack has such a big bearing on the overall subjective quality of the film experience. I'm a really big soundtrack geek and enjoy listening to them in the car and whilst working. I'd tried to back the Kickstarter for a re-recording of the Moonraker soundtrack and was bitterly disappointed when it was canned. My kids also love testing my skills by playing me random 3-second samples and getting me to guess the film or track.

Anyway, a great score can lift the film but a middling score can also hamper - I feel like Spectre is the best recent example of it not quite firing on all cylinders. Finally, I was told some years ago that The Living Daylight title track is a Pallindrone structurally. I'm not massively musical but did reverse (play backwards) a digital copy and it does sound weirdly just as good.

I prefer TLD over LTK
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 137
    The TLD soundtrack is a masterpiece - there's something really accomplished about it. Especially some of the expanded cues like when Bond is drugged. Barry just had a knack for these almost throwaway bits of genius. I'd love to see expanded versions of all the soundtracks, I especially love the microchip/pegasus wins/To Paris cue from AVTAK, Tibbet get's washed out and the Butterfly show.
    Getafix wrote: »

I prefer TLD over LTK

What about Dirty Love by Tim Feehan? JOKING!!!

I prefer TLD over LTK

Me too. And one is miles and miles apart from the other, in every regard.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited January 2020 Posts: 754

I understand what you’re trying to say but disagree... if the score is bad but the movies good, we will still like the movie, but it does have impact.

- MR is a terrible movie
    - I don’t like either the film or soundtrack for GE
    - I prefer TLD

Movie score do matter and they can make a good film great... a lot of the Golden period of JB in the 60s are good movies (based on better books), but elevated higher by score and Connery.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The TLD soundtrack is a masterpiece - there's something really accomplished about it. Especially some of the expanded cues like when Bond is drugged. Barry just had a knack for these almost throwaway bits of genius. I'd love to see expanded versions of all the soundtracks, I especially love the microchip/pegasus wins/To Paris cue from AVTAK, Tibbet get's washed out and the Butterfly show.

Barry truly went out on a high note. The Living Daylights is probably my second favourite of the Barry scores only topped by OHMSS. I love his use of sequencers during his principle arrangement of the themes during the action cues. Magnificent.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ryan wrote: »

Barry truly went out on a high note. The Living Daylights is probably my second favourite of the Barry scores only topped by OHMSS. I love his use of sequencers during his principle arrangement of the themes during the action cues. Magnificent.

Same. OHMSS is my favourite, followed by TLD. Unbeatable.

These are interesting points for sure, but for me personally it does have an impact. I know you're just giving some examples above but it's unsurprising to me that I have had conflicting opinions on some of those comparisons before (for example, GE manages to be a good film in spite of some of Serra's scoring).

For myself, there is an interesting overlap between my favourite scores and some of the stronger songs featured in the series over 60 years, so I guess it's a two-hander in terms of importance for me. The link between the song and the score has been one of the most enduring arguments in this thread.

There's an obvious non-answer here - make a good film, with a good score. They should always compliment each other. I definitely think it will be taken into account when it comes to assessing the film, just look at some of the arguments that have been had about Newman and Spectre (less so Skyfall).

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Ryan wrote: »

Same. OHMSS is my favourite, followed by TLD. Unbeatable.

That makes three of us, then. TLD has some really great tracks.
    Sometimes Barry's TLD feels like 2 scores in 1....it's that good.
    DoctorNo wrote: »

I understand what you’re trying to say but disagree... if the score is bad but the movies good, we will still like the movie, but it does have impact.

- MR is a terrible movie
    - I don’t like either the film or soundtrack for GE
    - I prefer TLD

Movie score do matter and they can make a good film great... a lot of the Golden period of JB in the 60s are good movies (based on better books), but elevated higher by score and Connery.

Connery, Barry, Adam, Maibaum, Cubby, Harry, Bernard, Lois, Desmond. #dreamteam
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Connery, Barry, Adam, Maibaum, Cubby, Harry, Bernard, Lois, Desmond. #dreamteam

So true. I wonder about Harry though
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I prefer TLD over LTK

What about Dirty Love by Tim Feehan? JOKING!!!

It’s no ‘Make It Last All Night’ by Rage.