NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Not that he need, but let's help Hans Zimmer with track names.
    Great suggestion from you, @M_Balje, with some great follow-ups.

I can only offer some Bonus tracks to hope for.

Bird Life (Avian Intrigue)
    Q's Cat
    003½
    Bloody T-Shirt
    Greeks Bearing Gifts
    No Time To Lie
    Scooby Snack
    Vanity Plate
    MC³

I wonder if it will sound like this

vzok wrote: »

This actually sounds quite realistic :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    vzok wrote: »

The guitar riff is eargasmic. The "bwaah" sound is atrocious.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Still in the lurch for the soundtrack, these are on Amazon (not sure how that works). And YouTube (okay, sure). Listen at your own risk.

716JgLhkEHL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBXBAR2X4ww
    No Time to Die
    by Wankwinkel
    MP3 Music
    Listen with Music Unlimited
    Or $0.99 to buy MP3

81nXjpIjszL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58gjGziNle4
    No Time to Die
    by JOJO feat. The Voice
    MP3 Music
    Or $1.29 to buy MP3

71BGcdg7xjL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZCYcQ0i_0
    No Time to Die (We Strengthen Our Bond)
    by Ryan James Swift
    On announcement of the title for the 2020 installment of the world-renowned secret agent movie franchise, Ryan took the opportunity to undertake a hypothetical movie theme composition commission. This is his take, slightly harking back to the golden era of the films.
    MP3 Music
    Or $0.99 to buy MP3

No Time To Die
    New track by Tony Patterson & Doug Melbourne

Bond Soundtrack - No Time To Die - Michael Barbera
    Bond 25 2019 written by Michael Barbera. #NoTimeToDie
    New album “2 Months Ago,” now available.

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited January 2020 Posts: 524
    A film editor has heard some great things about the post-production process. I couldn’t resist asking some questions about the score. Some very interesting answers, and one many of you rather didn’t see.

I asked if Zimmer might be reusing some of Newman’s themes, and that won’t be the case.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Makes sense if you're bringing back elements from SPECTRE that you want musical continuity, but BOY will this piss off certain factions of Bond fandom hehehe.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Newman being an inspiration means basically nothing, since he's not reusing previous themes...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    matt_u wrote: »
    Newman being an inspiration means basically nothing, since he's not reusing previous themes...
    Exactly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,009
    It's quite fitting imo, considering some of Newman's action cues reminded me of Zimmer in some ways, though admittedly they were not as good.

Looking forward to hearing the first bit of music that Zimmer has come up with.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah, that may well just this guy's opinion of it, and we may all disagree that it's Newman-inspired anyway. I wouldn't get too worked up about it if you weren't keen on the Newman scores.
    As someone that was keen on the Newman scores, this is news to my ears.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The only thing that stood out from SP's score were tracks like 'Los Muertos Vivos Estan', 'Donna Lucia', 'Madeleine' and the travelogue theme featured in 'Crows Klinik', 'Secret Room' & 'Safe House'....the rest were basically SF part 2. So I definitely want an Original score from Zimmer.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    The only thing that stood out from SP's score were tracks like 'Los Muertos Vivos Estan', 'Donna Lucia', 'Madeleine' and the travelogue theme featured in 'Crows Klinik', 'Secret Room' & 'Safe House'....the rest were basically SF part 2. So I definitely want an Original score from Zimmer.

If the twitter account is correct it will be original, just inspired by the sound/style Newman established in SF and SP.

If the twitter account is correct it will be original, just inspired by the sound/style Newman established in SF and SP.

Yeah, sound/style isn't bad...coz I've always felt 'Snow Plane' sounds like something Zimmer can do....only better.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Just to add a bit of nuance, as he insisted that the one tweet about Newman should not be taken out of context:

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Just to add a bit of nuance, as he insisted that the one tweet about Newman should not be taken out of context:

Maybe he'll throw in a reference to "Madeleine" or something like that. Possibly during her and Bond's time in Matera. Who knows.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I believe Zimmer's score will be the most unusual in terms of sound and mood of the Craig era. The involvement of Billy Eilish represents another strong indication for a change of paradigm. Let's not forget Fukunaga is a "young", quite edgy director.
    Yes I do hope Fukunaga has had enough leeway to leave his imprint. It sounds like he's very much a details man, which is what Bond really should be about. Fleming was all into the little details. Hoping CJF's own clear sense of style and design come through strongly as well.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Maybe he'll throw in a reference to "Madeleine" or something like that. Possibly during her and Bond's time in Matera. Who knows.

Exactly, just like vesper's theme was used in QOS. Madeline theme was used twice in SP in L'AMERICAN and bridge Scene

Getafix wrote: »
    Yes I do hope Fukunaga has had enough leeway to leave his imprint. It sounds like he's very much a details man, which is what Bond really should be about. Fleming was all into the little details. Hoping CJF's own clear sense of style and design come through strongly as well.

Let's just hope he's been going back to the novels to find that level of detail for the style and design.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Getafix wrote: »

I’m not sure I want that: have you seen his trousers? :D
    I do remember Classic FM having an exclusive premiere of Spectre's Backfire a few years back, some months before the film's release. This was as other fake music leaked online at the same time, which I actually liked a lot more. I was really disappointed by that track as it's a real mish-mash/greatest hits rework of Skyfall. But I do have great faith in Zimmer, I think if anyone's going to give us a great, nuanced soundtrack it's him. I do also love Newman. I think a lot of the issues around modern scoring is the use of temp tracks in some of the editing stages. This then leads directors to want iterative versions of these pre-used temp tracks. Great article about it here: https://popularmechanics.com/culture/movies/a22907/movie-soundtracks-forgettable/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    It does feel like that happened to Spectre, indeed.
    Have a feeling Zimmer's just being nice....he could actually be taking inspiration from scores like OHMSS & TLD.
    Have a feeling Zimmer's just being nice....he could actually be taking inspiration from scores like OHMSS & TLD.

At the same time, it makes more sense to use Thomas Newman's scores as a source of inspiration rather than any of John Barry's past scores because the reality is that John Barry never scored a Daniel Craig film. EON likely wants to maintain some musical continuity between films hence why Newman was using David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme.

But that's all supposition. For all we know Zimmer may be making the most John Barry sounding soundtrack that Bond has ever had since 1987, but I personally have my doubts. I still look forward to what he ultimately delivers.
    If they wanted continuity they could have got Newman back.

At the same time, it makes more sense to use Thomas Newman's scores as a source of inspiration rather than any of John Barry's past scores because the reality is that John Barry never scored a Daniel Craig film. EON likely wants to maintain some musical continuity between films hence why Newman was using David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme.

But that's all supposition. For all we know Zimmer may be making the most John Barry sounding soundtrack that Bond has ever had since 1987, but I personally have my doubts. I still look forward to what he ultimately delivers.

Yeah, all true....I really do want a Stellar Bond Score though, especially after the long wait....i think the music of Bond is the biggest when it comes to film music. Coz i can't think of a movie franchise where fans worry about it's music like Bond fans do.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    And it means even less when one considers that Newman already used a lot of Zimmer-isms.

Zimmer is a professional salesman, he says and will say a lot.