• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Zekidk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Arnold is the best choice.

I don't think the words "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" have been used in conjunction in over ten years.

You are not on any social media or read interviews, we can assume.

Does people saying stuff on social media prove anything? I'm sure if I went on my dad's facebook it'd be full of climate change denial and pro-Brexit talk, but that doesn't make it fact! :D

You are correct. When someone on social media is trying to argue that no one during the last ten years have used the word "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" in conjunction with each other, it doesn't prove anything. ;-)

Eh? So you're calling this social media, but accusing someone on it of... not being on it? Okaaay...

No, that's not what I am saying. What you are saying is, that nothing written on social media - here or any where else - proves anything. I agree with you. So when someone dismisses Arnold with a "no one thought him the best choice for the last 10 years"-argument, it doesn't prove that he is not up for the task!

So that is what you're saying. Someone here isn't here. That's not amazing logic.
    And you're also on here saying that anyone who says anything on here shouldn't be trusted. So I shouldn't listen to you :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans, which is only natural because Bond fans are typically conservative when it comes to all things Bond. They want Arnold because he's safe, familiar, comforting, and perhaps nostalgic. There's a guarantee of consistency with Arnold that you can't get with a new composer that you're not to sure of.

You're quite right: fans are fans of the old stuff, so they want more old stuff.

I'm with you: the new and the reinterpretation of the core values is what excites me. Not just some brassy trumpets.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,861
    RC7 wrote: »
    The general public aren’t as fickle or as snobbish as Bond fans. They know what ‘Bond’ sounds like, and DA delivers that. You’d be hard pushed to find any complaints about his scores from 99% of the audience.

Prove it if you like. Show me how many hated Newman.

99% of the audience don't really consciously notice the music.

I don't think the words "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" have been used in conjunction in over ten years.

Does people saying stuff on social media prove anything? I'm sure if I went on my dad's facebook it'd be full of climate change denial and pro-Brexit talk, but that doesn't make it fact! :D

You are correct. When someone on social media is trying to argue that no one during the last ten years have used the word "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" in conjunction with each other, it doesn't prove anything. ;-)

Eh? So you're calling this social media, but accusing someone on it of... not being on it? Okaaay...

No, that's not what I am saying. What you are saying is, that nothing written on social media - here or any where else - proves anything. I agree with you. So when someone dismisses Arnold with a "no one thought him the best choice for the last 10 years"-argument, it doesn't prove that he is not up for the task!

So that is what you're saying. Someone here isn't here. That's not amazing logic.
    And you're also on here saying that anyone who says anything on here shouldn't be trusted.

I was quoting someone else. Take it up with him if you disagree.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

And you're also on here saying that anyone who says anything on here shouldn't be trusted.

But I can't trust you or him! :D
    But then that's only according to you... and you're on here... how confusing! :D

I think I'll just go with the first guy as you seem to have tied yourself up in knots: Arnold isn't the best.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Justin Hurwitz or Daniel Pemberton would be great. They're both a class above Arnold. Arnold's scores for CR and QOS were both excellent though. I'd just really like a change. Skyfall had a terrific score. Maybe this was too big a task for Romer, assuming the rumours are true.
  • RC7RC7
    The general public aren’t as fickle or as snobbish as Bond fans. They know what ‘Bond’ sounds like, and DA delivers that. You’d be hard pushed to find any complaints about his scores from 99% of the audience.

Certainly not when Newman is scoring it. The great Bond scores hit you in either the heart or the balls.

I’m being somewhat facetious - Newman delivered some good stuff, but nothing even close to classic.
    Will await official comment on this? If true? And we are going full circle back to CR? Then it would certainly be welcome for Arnold to come back possibly?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,160

But I can't trust you or him! :D
    But then that's only according to you... and you're on here... how confusing! :D

I think I'll just go with the first guy as you seem to have tied yourself up in knots: Arnold isn't the best.

Who's the best - and most realistic choice - now, if Romer is out? I wouldn't get grumpy if is someone other than Arnold. If you think there's a better choice than him, who's available - fine. Can you give me a few examples? Someone with a track record. Thank you.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Justin Hurwitz or Daniel Pemberton would be great.

Yes please to both. They've both shown great style, and that's all Bond really needs.

Certainly not when Newman is scoring it. The great Bond scores hit you in either the heart or the balls.

Or when anyone is doing it. That's why I said 99%.
    I’m being somewhat facetious - Newman delivered some good stuff, but nothing even close to classic.

Hand on heart, would you really say Arnold did either? Classic? Barry is classic.
    Justin Hurwitz or Daniel Pemberton would be great. They're both a class above Arnold. Arnold's scores for CR and QOS were both excellent though. I'd just really like a change. Skyfall had a terrific score. Maybe this was too big a task for Romer, assuming the rumours are true.

I’d guess these 3 are front runners, plus Lorne Balfe who seems to crop up everywhere.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    vzok wrote: »

I’d guess these 3 are front runners, plus Lorne Balfe who seems to crop up everywhere.

Now him I'd like to draw a line against: no thanks! :)
  • Frankly, after all the months of people deciding that they hate Dan Romer and that he will definitely do a bad Bond score because they half-listened to one of his tracks for a different movie once and that only the sacred David Arnold should ever be allowed to work on this franchise, I'm almost hoping he never gets hired again.

And I love David Arnold, I felt his scores were much better than Newman's but so many people on here have been so insufferable about revelling in their glee that Dan Romer MIGHT be fired, which MIGHT mean that David Arnold POSSIBLY could come back that it makes me sick.

David Arnold had a good run of five Bond films over more than a decade, he is not lacking for regular paying work (even if it is on a smaller scale) why not take a chance on something new?

And as for all the people moaning on about how there aren't any great film composers anymore, grow up. There are plenty of great film and tv composers doing good work out there, just because you haven't heard of them before and they aren't the people who were around when you were younger doesn't mean they are bad.

My first choice would probably be Daniel Pemberton, his Morricone and Barry influenced score for the Man from U.N.C.L.E. would be a great trial run for work on a retro-inspired Bond film like Fukanaga says he wants to make.

Daniel Pemberton would be fantastic. He's extremely inventive.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It's been awhile since I've seen UNCLE. Good samples. I would definitely like to see Pemberton get a crack at Bond.

Another I'd like is Alberto Iglesias.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd love to hear a Bond score by Elliot Goldenthal.
    It's been awhile since I've seen UNCLE. Good samples. I would definitely like to see Pemberton get a crack at Bond.

Another I'd like is Alberto Iglesias.

Wow!! Great alternative. His score for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is beautiful. The Two Faces Of January is cracking too.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2019 Posts: 10,512

Yes please to both. They've both shown great style, and that's all Bond really needs.

Hand on heart, would you really say Arnold did either? Classic? Barry is classic.

Yes. The CR score is a classic. It’s absolutely superb. Personally, I’d throw in TND as being up there, but can’t be arsed to get into an argument about it, if people disagree, cool. The rest are intermittently good to great.

NB. Not all scores hit you in the heart or balls. So no, not when anyone is doing it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes. The CR score is a classic. It’s absolutely superb. Personally, I’d throw in TND as being up there, but can’t be arsed to get into an argument about it, if people disagree, cool. The rest are intermittently good to great.

NB. Not all scores hit you in the heart or balls. So no, not when anyone is doing it.

When Le Chiffre hits Bond in the balls, there is no accompanying score. And it is the most effective way, for that scene.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd love to hear a Bond score by Elliot Goldenthal.

He'd be great. Looking at his resume I see he's working again after a long absence.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Assuming the Romer rumors ring real, has CJF collaborated with any other composers on past film or TV projects who might capture a fitting 'Bond' sound?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

You think people got hit in the balls/heart by the CR score? You mean the bit where he plays the Bond theme? I can't think of anything else in that you could possibly be talking about.

And no, people don't consciously notice the music as a rule: unless it's something really terrific. CR ain't that. Unless you mean the bit where plays that John Barry arrangement.

Yes. The CR score is a classic. It’s absolutely superb.

Hm. Okay, I can't think why you think that at all as it's one of the blandest Bond scores of any of them to me- kind of cheap wallpaper, and I could never put it alongside any of Barry's, but I'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2019 Posts: 10,512

When Le Chiffre hits Bond in the balls, there is no accompanying score. And it is the most effective way, for that scene.

Yes. Don’t make me use an emoji 😆.

You think people got hit in the balls/heart by the CR score? You mean the bit where he plays the Bond theme? I can't think of anything else in that you could possibly be talking about.

And no, people don't consciously notice the music as a rule: unless it's something really terrific. CR ain't that. Unless you mean the bit where plays that John Barry arrangement.

Yes. The CR score is a classic. It’s absolutely superb.

Hm. Okay, I can't think why you think that at all as it's one of the blandest Bond scores of any of them to me- kind of cheap wallpaper, and I could never put it alongside any of Barry's, but I'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yes, you will.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,157
    Frankly, after all the months of people deciding that they hate Dan Romer and that he will definitely do a bad Bond score because they half-listened to one of his tracks for a different movie once and that only the sacred David Arnold should ever be allowed to work on this franchise, I'm almost hoping he never gets hired again.

And I love David Arnold, I felt his scores were much better than Newman's but so many people on here have been so insufferable about revelling in their glee that Dan Romer MIGHT be fired, which MIGHT mean that David Arnold POSSIBLY could come back that it makes me sick.

David Arnold had a good run of five Bond films over more than a decade, he is not lacking for regular paying work (even if it is on a smaller scale) why not take a chance on something new?

And as for all the people moaning on about how there aren't any great film composers anymore, grow up. There are plenty of great film and tv composers doing good work out there, just because you haven't heard of them before and they aren't the people who were around when you were younger doesn't mean they are bad.

My first choice would probably be Daniel Pemberton, his Morricone and Barry influenced score for the Man from U.N.C.L.E. would be a great trial run for work on a retro-inspired Bond film like Fukanaga says he wants to make.

You're criticising people cuz they shouldn't judge Romer scores because they haven't heard his works... And how can you say that people have never listened to his scores if you never talked to all of us? At least be coherent with what you say :))
    Inventive? He´s got a refreshing curiosity for all kinds of common and uncommon instruments and arrangements, but that doesn´t necessarily result in good music, let alone a good score (i.e. not just one or two interesting tracks).

No, but to be fair, Arnold doesn´t sound pretentious, and none of his tracks ever sounded like Hans Zimmer.

• RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Inventive? He´s got a refreshing curiosity for all kinds of common and uncommon instruments and arrangements, but that doesn´t necessarily result in good music, let alone a good score (i.e. not just one or two interesting tracks).

No, but to be fair, Arnold doesn´t sound pretentious, and none of his tracks ever sounded like Hans Zimmer.

Arnold gets Bond. Knows it. Does it.
  • As much as I would love for Arnold to come back, I do feel for Dan Romer. He seemed genuinely excited to be working on the film from what I saw. It may of been mentioned earlier, but did it say why he is being speculated as leaving?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Frankly, after all the months of people deciding that they hate Dan Romer and that he will definitely do a bad Bond score because they half-listened to one of his tracks for a different movie once and that only the sacred David Arnold should ever be allowed to work on this franchise, I'm almost hoping he never gets hired again.

And as for all the people moaning on about how there aren't any great film composers anymore, grow up.

Fascinating.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    As much as I would love for Arnold to come back, I do feel for Dan Romer. He seemed genuinely excited to be working on the film from what I saw. It may of been mentioned earlier, but did it say why he is being speculated as leaving?

He read this whole thread.
    I like Romer and yes he did seem excited about the project. I just hope that perhaps it was mutual and that he and Cary can work together again in the future. As for his replacement, as the entire internet has said, yes it would be great to have DA score Craig's last film and bring it full circle. I would soil myself in the theater if I heard hints of "You Know My Name" during a moment or two. We shall see