NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

Romer is still the composer until the time comes that EON officially announce a replacement.

Indeed. My own hype is getting ahead of itself, certainly. This could end up being a total non-issue. Time will tell!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Walecs wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    It's why the guy has been sitting on his arse doing basically nothing.

Just like all of us.

FIFY ;)

Point taken :D
    Viciously criticize other composers? Fair game. Viciously criticize Arnold? HOW DARE THEY! ;)

Nothing wrong with fair criticism, but saying a composer is a hack because he hasn't scored any big blockbusters since QoS like TripAces does is plain stupid (but then again TripAces has been proving he's an idiot since he joined the boards), it's completely irrelevant to Arnold's skills as a musician and it's well known that it is Arnold's decision not to work with Hollywood.
    But TripAces is so insecure that he needs to bring up and even make up irrelevant arguments only to support his thesis just because he doesn't like Arnold and feels a weirdo for belonging to the minority.

Again, go back into my comments on Arnold. My views on his work aren't as cut and dried as you want them to be. I am pointing out that his lack of work is a statement on the industry's views of him, not yours or mine. He's not being hired. If directors wanted him, he'd have work. So draw your own conclusions.

You are free to love Arnold's work all you want. I happen to enjoy much of his work on CR and QoS. I do not like it as much as Newman's work on SF and SP. But that does not mean I hate Arnold.

The bigger consternation, for me, is the "romantic" attitude some fans have toward both Arnold and Campbell. To me, they are part of the past; they are not coming back. And that is a good thing. I appreciate (some of) their work for what they did but I have no desire to see either of them return.

With that, I drop the mic.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I hope the rumor is true. After listening to a lot of Romer's work, I didn't think he was the right person for the job.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Satorious wrote: »
    Its almost as if Arnold has laid the gauntlet down with that track. As if he's challenging the new composer to be as brilliantly Bondian.
    To be honest, I found it a little uninspired and contained the kind of excess I never liked about Arnold's approach. That said - I will say it feels more catchy and traditionally Bondian than some of Newman's dull ambient mood music.

I hope Romer proves to be a more inspire choice. It's also really exciting to hear someone new get a chance at updating the sound.

Yeah it’s a Bond pastiche. Which is fine, that’s the job he was hired to do for the ad, but I don’t think it’s the future of 007 music.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »
    Its almost as if Arnold has laid the gauntlet down with that track. As if he's challenging the new composer to be as brilliantly Bondian.
    To be honest, I found it a little uninspired and contained the kind of excess I never liked about Arnold's approach. That said - I will say it feels more catchy and traditionally Bondian than some of Newman's dull ambient mood music.

I hope Romer proves to be a more inspire choice. It's also really exciting to hear someone new get a chance at updating the sound.

Yeah it’s a Bond pastiche. Which is fine, that’s the job he was hired to do for the ad, but I don’t think it’s the future of 007 music.

Uh oh, you said the dreaded P word!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DCisared wrote: »
    Pretty sure that Arnold wouldn’t score a new film the same as he did the advert. The ad is deliberately playful but the bit just after, where the fella gets to the hill, stops and sees the DB5 is classic 60’s bond but with a fresh modern take and the ohmss hints are lovely.

I don’t think it’s a DB5 actually :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Exciting times if this is true! Arnold would be the obvious choice for many - but unlike many of you - I found the N.Peal thing extremely generic - was hoping Arnold might have updated his sound a bit more after 10 years absence. ? I'd love to see a new composer get a short - someone like Daniel Pemberton, Terrance Blanchard or Henry Jackman - but let's see how this all plays out.

I’d love Pemberton, yes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interestingly, Joe Kraemer replied on Twitter when he was named dropped him for a hypothetical replacement. He’s pretty classy that guy.

I really like Kraemer: he seems a good guy. And his score for MI was excellent- I think he got a bit shafted for the next one.
    Interestingly, Joe Kraemer replied on Twitter when he was named dropped him for a hypothetical replacement. He’s pretty classy that guy.

I really like Kraemer: he seems a good guy. And his score for MI was excellent- I think he got a bit shafted for the next one.

Agreed. FALLOUT was rather generic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Uh oh, you said the dreaded P word!

Well that is the tone of the ad; it’s why it’s full of silver Aston Martins. But it’s not supposed to be a Bond film, and Arnold isn’t writing a Bond score for it.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,161
    Arnold is the best choice.

I don't think the words "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" have been used in conjunction in over ten years.

You are not on any social media or read interviews, we can assume.
    I am pointing out that his lack of work is a statement on the industry's views of him, not yours or mine. He's not being hired.

He has plenty of work and he is primarily UK based. Currently he is scoring the BBC version of 'Dracula' and a couple of weeks ago he was doing Royal Albert Hall, so please, get your facts straight. He is perfectly content with not doing big budget Hollywood-movies, but luckily, his door is always open for Bond. That was at least what he told JBR, who loves him!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Zekidk wrote: »

I don't think the words "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" have been used in conjunction in over ten years.

Does people saying stuff on social media prove anything? I'm sure if I went on my dad's facebook it'd be full of climate change denial and pro-Brexit talk, but that doesn't make it fact! :D
    Outside of Bond fans and the guy running filmtracks.com , I've not really seen Arnold regarded as someone ranking among the greats like Barry or Morricone.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,861
    Outside of Bond fans and the guy running filmtracks.com , I've not really seen Arnold regarded as someone ranking among the greats like Barry or Morricone.

Yes, because, although he's fine, he's just not great. Hey; he's better than me(!); he's very talented, I've enjoyed a lot of his stuff. But for Bond I want someone really classy; either someone brand new and full of invention, or an established all-time great. Getting Arnold would be a bit half-hearted, a bit halfway house. He's not really one thing nor the other. He'd do the job but it would be a bit like getting the regular plumber in. I mean, listen to his Good Omens score: it's fine, it works, but it's not exactly an all-time classic: it's wallpaper.

If you guys want new Arnold music incidentally, watch the new Dracula trailer. Sounds like the work of the Sherlock guys to me.

Does people saying stuff on social media prove anything? I'm sure if I went on my dad's facebook it'd be full of climate change denial and pro-Brexit talk, but that doesn't make it fact! :D

You are correct. When someone on social media is trying to argue that no one during the last ten years have used the word "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" in conjunction with each other, it doesn't prove anything. ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,861

You are correct. When someone on social media is trying to argue that no one during the last ten years have used the word "David Arnold" and "Best Choice" in conjunction with each other, it doesn't prove anything. ;-)

Eh? So you're calling this social media, but accusing someone on it of... not being on it? Okaaay...

Bring us the next genius to defend Arnold please :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,157

Only Williams and Zimmer are ranked that high, and IMO the latter's music is kinda generic

Eh? So you're calling this social media, but accusing someone on it of... not being on it? Okaaay...

No, that's not what I am saying. What you are saying is, that nothing written on social media - here or any where else - proves anything. I agree with you. So when someone dismisses Arnold with a "no one thought him the best choice for the last 10 years"-argument, it doesn't prove that he is not up for the task!
    Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans, which is only natural because Bond fans are typically conservative when it comes to all things Bond. They want Arnold because he's safe, familiar, comforting, and perhaps nostalgic. There's a guarantee of consistency with Arnold that you can't get with a new composer that you're not to sure of.

Personally, I get excited at the prospect of a new composer. I'm not really looking for a composer to elicit nostalgia but rather compliment the immediate film with their own take, whether it adheres to past films or not. It's why I love Eric Serra's work in GOLDENEYE and feels more special compared to what Arnold brought to the table.
  • RC7RC7
    The general public aren’t as fickle or as snobbish as Bond fans. They know what ‘Bond’ sounds like, and DA delivers that. You’d be hard pushed to find any complaints about his scores from 99% of the audience. Plus, his sound evolved. QoS and TND are worlds apart, but still distinctly Bond. Fuck his ‘recent CV’, he loves the films and he’s not afraid to embrace it. Right now we need someone to grab a guitar and thrash out the Bond theme, not fanny around with ambient soundscapes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans, which is only natural because Bond fans are typically conservative when it comes to all things Bond. They want Arnold because he's safe, familiar, comforting, and perhaps nostalgic.
    And good. Folks that want him back consider him good or better than good.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    The general public aren’t as fickle or as snobbish as Bond fans. They know what ‘Bond’ sounds like, and DA delivers that. You’d be hard pushed to find any complaints about his scores from 99% of the audience. Plus, his sound evolved. QoS and TND are worlds apart, but still distinctly Bond. Fuck his ‘recent CV’, he loves the films and he’s not afraid to embrace it. Right now we need someone to grab a guitar and thrash out the Bond theme, not fanny around with ambient soundscapes.

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head.
    I wouldn't miss the guitar. I didn't miss it when Barry abandoned it in favor of strings.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans, which is only natural because Bond fans are typically conservative when it comes to all things Bond. They want Arnold because he's safe, familiar, comforting, and perhaps nostalgic. There's a guarantee of consistency with Arnold that you can't get with a new composer that you're not to sure of.

Personally, I get excited at the prospect of a new composer. I'm not really looking for a composer to elicit nostalgia but rather compliment the immediate film with their own take, whether it adheres to past films or not. It's why I love Eric Serra's work in GOLDENEYE and feels more special compared to what Arnold brought to the table.

Safe, familiar, comforting sounds like brosnan era which certainly I would not like. A new composer is always welcome, don't want Arnold or Newman either Romer or someone new.
  • RC7RC7
    I wouldn't miss the guitar. I didn't miss it when Barry abandoned it in favor of strings.

Strings, guitar, the spoons, I don’t care. Just play the theme.

Strings, guitar, the spoons, I don’t care. Just play the theme.

Here you go. ;)

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    peter wrote: »

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head.

Ding ding, we have a winner. I think Romer will/would have done this too, for what it's worth. He may/would have fallen somewhere between Arnold and Newman, I think.

Again, he's still the composer until confirmed otherwise.
  • Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans,
    I mean who else cares who composes the music in a Bond movie?
    Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans,

Cinephiles in general.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Most people that consider David Arnold the best choice are Bond fans,

Agreed, the general audience only cares about the title song.