NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    talos7 wrote: »
    “ Pastiche” , a word so overused when discussing Bond scores that I cringe every time that I read it .

Tell me about it, It gets used so much on this site that I actually despise the word.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Hopefully such a word or another that conveys the same meaning doesn’t occur to me when I listen to Romer’s score for the first time. ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Murdock wrote: »
    “ Pastiche” , a word so overused when discussing Bond scores that I cringe every time that I read it .

Tell me about it, It gets used so much on this site that I actually despise the word.

It is quite a lazy word to use, I would say.
    It’s just a criticism you disagree with, let’s drop this discussion altogether. This is a Dan Romer thread, not a David Arnold appreciation thread.
    The Bond films themselves became a pastiche years ago so why not the music. Will Romer go with the flow and embrace the "Bond Sound" while bringing something unique to the mix. That's all I'm asking for.
    I'd like a soundtrack with memorable melodies and themes that I can listen to over and over again, enjoying for years to come. Something thematic with some Bondian flavor and a good helping of the James Bond theme. A good Bond soundtrack. Not sonic wallpaper.
    delfloria wrote: »
    The Bond films themselves became a pastiche years ago so why not the music. Will Romer go with the flow and embrace the "Bond Sound" while bringing something unique to the mix. That's all I'm asking for.

When it comes to embracing the Bond sound and bringing something unique to the mix, the best IMO was Bill Conti’s FYEO score. “Runaway” is one of those tracks that brings a big smile to my face when I put it on. It hits that sweet spot of sounding like Bond without sounding like Barry.

But I can also highly enjoy a more experimental score like Eric Serra’s “GoldenEye Overture” track which I wouldn’t trade for a John Barry scored GE soundtrack because Serra only enriched the Bond score lexicon.

Whatever Romer is aiming for, I hope he’s as successful as Conti and Serra when it comes to doing his own thing to enrich Bond.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    delfloria wrote: »
    I would love to see you explain how CR, QOS, or SF are "pastiche."
  • Murdock wrote: »

It is quite a lazy word to use, I would say.
    I don’t know, all I think of is pistachios LOL!
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I'd like a soundtrack with memorable melodies and themes that I can listen to over and over again, enjoying for years to come. Something thematic with some Bondian flavor and a good helping of the James Bond theme. A good Bond soundtrack. Not sonic wallpaper.
    Your posts are on fire lately. I agree. Distinct hummable themes that I can instantly associate with the identity of the movie would go such a long way.

It just makes me sad Barry is not with us anymore.
    Your posts are on fire lately. I agree. Distinct hummable themes that I can instantly associate with the identity of the movie would go such a long way.

Thanks FrankXavior. Bond music is one of my biggest passions so talking about it gets me all fired up. ;)
    I never had trouble associating the music of Newman's with what was in the film. It's all very distinct and memorable to me that if you were to play a random track I'd instantly tell you which moment it's from. You don't have to make music hummable to be memorable, but I can understand those who would want a score that's hummable. "Shanghai Drive" isn't hummable, but it's certainly memorable and Bondian to me.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677

Thanks FrankXavior. Bond music is one of my biggest passions so talking about it gets me all fired up. ;)

Sonic Wallpaper would actually be a killer album title ;)

But yeah, can't help but agree with that. Arnold came up with brilliant melodies. I hope Romer can do the same, in his own style, of course.
    Newman is the most beige composer we've had for Bond.

Serra was bizarre and awful.

I find Arnold's music a tad OTT sometimes but he's better than the other 2 for Bond at least.
    I never had trouble associating the music of Newman's with what was in the film. It's all very distinct and memorable to me that if you were to play a random track I'd instantly tell you which moment it's from. You don't have to make music hummable to be memorable, but I can understand those who would want a score that's hummable. "Shanghai Drive" isn't hummable, but it's certainly memorable and Bondian to me.

I really like that track and the Jellyfish & Elevator Jump cues. I think those are a bit ambient but still suitable for action and tension. I don’t find Newman’s tracks in the last third of Spectre memorable though.
    I really enjoy Skyfall's soundtrack - prior to Spectre's release I randomly tuned my radio to Classic FM and they previewed 'Backfire' a few weeks before release. I listened to it and couldn't get away from the feeling of it being very recycled/iterative. There are lots in both soundtracks I really like but the attempt to have continuous themes in Spectre's soundtrack is it's greatest weakness. I did love some cues, like the Kartenhoff segment and some of the smaller incidental bits when Bond/Madeleine are taunted by Blofeld to watch the Pale Kings death, great repetitious percussion bit. Some of it is breathtaking, it feels at it's best when it's being unique such as the motif at the end of the train sequence blending into the title track. I also love the Secret Room.

But critically I feel like it's right to move forward with someone else. I also have an original digipak of Goldeneye with a gold disc and love it still- despite it being fairly bonkers.
    DCisared wrote: »
    Npeal campaign. Score composed by a Mr David Arnold ;)

Had Romer done anything as cool as this, I would be feeling confident he is the right man for the job.

Arnold knocks it out of the park in this example, and shows why he is the only person for this job, the same way Barry was before him.

Oh, and one more thing. This short clip pisses all over anything done by Newman in his 2 Bond efforts.
    Arnold is simply incapable of doing the "Bond sound" without copying Barry. I want "Bond sound" with a twist, like Errica Serra and Thomas Newman have done it.

By the way, can anyone here say with a straight face that the GoldenEye Overture is not cooler than anything Arnold has ever done?

Absolutely. I'm saying it with a straight face. I'm also saying I despise and hate the GE score with a passion, and Arnold pisses all over Serra. How about that...
    Thomas Newman is my favourite post 1987 composer.

:))
    It’s just a criticism you disagree with, let’s drop this discussion altogether. This is a Dan Romer thread, not a David Arnold appreciation thread.

I'm aware of what it is, cheers. But I'm sure you understand that we can only talk about Romer's work on Bond in relation to the previous composers and his own previous work. They go hand in hand until we actually hear what he comes up with.

But for balance, I've been listening to a lot of Romer's work lately. It's not all to my taste, but it's certainly evocative.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Arnold is simply incapable of doing the "Bond sound" without copying Barry. I want "Bond sound" with a twist, like Errica Serra and Thomas Newman have done it.

By the way, can anyone here say with a straight face that the GoldenEye Overture is not cooler than anything Arnold has ever done?

Absolutely. I'm saying it with a straight face. I'm also saying I despise and hate the GE score with a passion, and Arnold pisses all over Serra. How about that...

+1

• edited October 2019 Posts: 3,279

I'm aware of what it is, cheers. But I'm sure you understand that we can only talk about Romer's work on Bond in relation to the previous composers and his own previous work. They go hand in hand until we actually hear what he comes up with.

But for balance, I've been listening to a lot of Romer's work lately. It's not all to my taste, but it's certainly evocative.

Another slow, meandering, dreary effort that goes nowhere, and leaves me with dread at the thought of what the Bond 25 score will be like. Hasn't this Romer guy done ANYTHING decent yet? Every time someone posts a new Romer clip, I hope this will be the one that proves he is the man capable of equalling Arnold. And every time, sadly I'm proved wrong.

Had it been something more like this, I think we'd all be getting excited -

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165
    Deleted
  • It’s just a criticism you disagree with, let’s drop this discussion altogether. This is a Dan Romer thread, not a David Arnold appreciation thread.

Yes, but “evocative” of what??? To me it’s evocative of any modern movie score which tries to evoke some feeling. Go figure...

Meanwhile I’m still waiting for a Bond score...

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Did Arnold compose anything interesting before he started working on bond?
  • Did Arnold compose anything interesting before he started working on bond?
    Yes, INDEPENDENCE DAY. Still his most famous score!!
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,034

Another slow, meandering, dreary effort that goes nowhere, and leaves me with dread at the thought of what the Bond 25 score will be like. Hasn't this Romer guy done ANYTHING decent yet? Every time someone posts a new Romer clip, I hope this will be the one that proves he is the man capable of equalling Arnold. And every time, sadly I'm proved wrong.

Had it been something more like this, we'd all be getting excited -

I am one of the biggest Arnold fans here (paling in comparison with maybe @Murdock for that title ;) ) but I'm avoiding directly comparing it with any piece of Bond music and taking it as a piece of Romer music in order to provide some context. In that regard, it works. There is a sizeable chunk of his discography that fits the description you gave, but I actually think that one isn't too bad at all. I quite like it. So yeah, I'm trying to remain positive is all.

That Hurwitz score is very good, for sure. One of my favourites from last year and I did hope they would tap him for Bond 25 at the time.

But, to be fair to Romer, he has never scored a film like that. Few, if any, of the projects he has provided music for would have been any better with that style of music. On balance, I would say that is both a reason to be concerned and a reason to feel that he may surprise us when he actually gets a shot at it. I don't want to completely write him off, because at the end of the day, he is the composer we have.
    Did Arnold compose anything interesting before he started working on bond?

Independence Day and Stargate.

And during his tenure he did Godzilla and Wing Commander.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    He only wrote the theme for Wing Commander. But yes, I like that theme. Godzilla was okay but after SG and ID4 a bit on the repetitive side.
    Stargate was brilliant. What a theme!