NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    It sounds like a dig at Arnold fans to me. For me Arnold brought something new to each Bond score. He wasn't copy and pasting himself. I call for his return because he was genuinely good at scoring for Bond. His music stands out far more than the droves of composers today who just imitate Hans Zimmer and fail to bring anything memorable to the table.
    Preach it, Murdock! There's always the little dig at Brosnan and Arnold.

(since TND, I'll never let the Craig fanbase convince me that only his Craig era scores were good)

As someone more a fan of Craig’s run than Brosnan’s, I can agree to this. QOS and DAD are his richest scores, whereas CR, TWINE and TND have too much filler I find myself skipping when I listen to their albums.

How I’d rank his scores:

1. QOS
    2. DAD
    3. CR
    4. TWINE
    5. TND

I think I can agree with this ranking. Perhaps I'd switch DAD and CR. QoS is easily my favourite Arnold score. Well-balanced, atmospheric and overall interesting.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Seeing TND for the first time and hearing the brilliant 'White Knight' i knew the makers had found a replacement for Barry and someone who understood the Bond sound.

But hey, i hope Romer gives us a great score. I'm not optimistic it'll be anything special but i'll certainly give the guy a chance. After all, it's his first Bond score. If it doesn't come up to scratch i'll blame the makers for their choice of composer.
    I still don't see any indication that Romer is the right fit for 007. Reading that he went to a "SKYFALL" concert does not give me a warm feeling.
    So what does the Bond theme as heard here have to do with SKYFALL? Well, hopefully this part of the concert with inspire Romer.
    Contraband wrote: »
    James Bond Theme with Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall - Skyfall in Concert

A shame Cary felt obliged to hand the gig to his mate. He could have chosen anyone.

Arnold is still the best of the post 1987 Bond composers IMO.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Getafix wrote: »
    A shame Cary felt obliged to hand the gig to his mate. He could have chosen anyone.

Damn right!

By some margin.

• DCisared wrote: »
    Npeal campaign. Score composed by a Mr David Arnold ;)
    The man sure knows how to write classy elegant spy music!! Almost a shame to waste such a brilliant piece on a commercial. Should have been in Bond 25!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Fun fact: That music is not a real orchestra. It's fully electronic.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Thomas Newman is my favourite post 1987 composer.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

By some margin.

Agreed.

There's always one.... 8-|
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

By some margin.

Agreed.

Me too.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Make that two.

Make that two.

Seriously? ok

Strictly speaking Newman only did one score and a half, as SP had a generous amount of regurgitated music from SF.

Arnold did 5 original scores, every one different from the other, but hey, there's no accounting for taste 😁
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Make that two.

Make that three
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Make that two.

Make that three
    Make that four!

Make that two.

Seriously? ok

Strictly speaking Newman only did one score and a half, as SP had a generous amount of regurgitated music from SF.

Arnold did 5 original scores, every one different from the other, but hey, there's no accounting for taste 😁

Whether it’s two or one and a half, it’s more than I personally enjoyed out of Arnold’s five.

Make that two.

Seriously? ok

Whether it’s two or one and a half, it’s more than I personally enjoyed out of Arnold’s five.

If that's what you prefer, cool.
    HOWEVER,

Dan Romer is doing the score for the next film. It says so in this thread's title. Perhaps the talk about Arnold vs. Newman must be had in other threads.
    I can already see the Romer vs Arnold discussions coming this April. It’s inevitable.

No free will.
    In April, however, that makes sense. The problem with all these NTTD threads now is that we have nothing substantial to work with and yet people continue to generate dozens of pages of content, mostly about something else.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    HOWEVER,

Dan Romer is doing the score for the next film. It says so in this thread's title. Perhaps the talk about Arnold vs. Newman must be had in other threads.

Thank you. Finally someone said it =D>
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    If there's nothing to say about Romer 'till April I see no harm in talking about other matters.
    It’s valid to talk about the style of other composers in terms of the direction we hope Romer may roam.

One thing about using a new composer rather than Newman or Arnold is that we probably lose out on themes from previous Craigs being woven into NTTD. Seeing as they are intent on linking the movies that seems a loss.
    vzok wrote: »
    It’s valid to talk about the style of other composers in terms of the direction we hope Romer may roam.

One thing about using a new composer rather than Newman or Arnold is that we probably lose out on themes from previous Craigs being woven into NTTD. Seeing as they are intent on linking the movies that seems a loss.

Themes carrying over has certainly been unique for Craig's run. If Romer ends up doing a new recording of Arnold's "The Name's Bond... James Bond" arrangement like Newman did then that may play to the theory that EON demanded that piece be used to maintain consistency between Craig's run.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I want a score that’s fresh and can stand on its own; but I also want it to sound like a Bond score. It should be able to utilize elements established By Barry and , particularly with the introduction of Craig, expanded on by Arnold with out being labeled “ Pastiche” , a word so overused when discussing Bond scores that I cringe every time that I read it .
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,541
    vzok wrote: »

One thing about using a new composer rather than Newman or Arnold is that we probably lose out on themes from previous Craigs being woven into NTTD. Seeing as they are intent on linking the movies that seems a loss. [/quote]

Valid point.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,985
    talos7 wrote: »
    I want a score that’s fresh and can stand on its own; but I also want it to sound like a Bond score. It should be able to utilize elements established By Barry and , particularly with the introduction of Craig, expanded on by Arnold with out being labeled “ Pastiche” , a word so overused when discussing Bond scores that I cringe every time that I read it .

Agreed.

Romer has a real tightrope to walk with this score. I'm sure he's realised what a tricky task he has ahead of him.... :-S
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    In April, however, that makes sense. The problem with all these NTTD threads now is that we have nothing substantial to work with and yet people continue to generate dozens of pages of content, mostly about something else.

Exactly what I was getting at for a year or more, much to everyone's disagreement. Glad it's finally being realized now. At least real conversation is only a few months out, finally.