NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• Univex wrote: »
    Stargate was brilliant. What a theme!
    Agreed! I prefer it to his more famous INDEPENDENCE DAY. The main theme is simply sublime!
    Univex wrote: »
    Stargate was brilliant. What a theme!
    Agreed! I prefer it to his more famous INDEPENDENCE DAY. The main theme is simply sublime!

Me too. And yes, it's up there with my favourite themes of all time. John Williams level worthy.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Don't forget this one (which I'm going to argue is still a better Bond song than he ever did during his tenure).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,104
    Satorious wrote: »
    Don't forget this one (which I'm going to argue is still a better Bond song than he ever did during his tenure).

Totally agree would have been a great Bond track, Play Dead over the SP title sequence
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That's a decent layover of Bjork's "Play Dead" over the titles, it works fine.

But what really struck me is that some quarters are damning the Craig Bond films as being PC. Maybe the female forms all over Bond in the opening have some PC meaning beyond my understanding.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    That's a decent layover of Bjork's "Play Dead" over the titles, it works fine.

But what really struck me is that some quarters are damning the Craig Bond films as being PC. Maybe the female forms all over Bond in the opening have some PC meaning beyond my understanding.

The title sequence and the Play Dead track sync extremely well thematically I thought.

Usually I can't tolerate the SP titles due the the chosen song when watching the film, whilst watching the above Play Dead alternative I paid more attention to the imagary, there were plenty of silhouette's of attractive women for sure.

The world that Bond inhabits will always have a degree of political correctness depending on the era, the question should always be is Bond himself PC, upto now I would say no. There are many scenes in SP where Bond does not give a... and just does what he wants
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The world that Bond inhabits will always have a degree of political correctness depending on the era, the question should always be is Bond himself PC, upto now I would say no. There are many scenes in SP where Bond does not give a... and just does what he wants

There was an interview where Waller-Bridge was asked what it means for Bond in the #MeToo era and that's pretty much how she put it. Bond's world changes, but he remains relatively the same. This is keeping in with Fleming's idea of Bond being a man out of time, someone who represents the long gone British Empire in a world that's always changing. The early movies never really evoked that, in fact it might be TSWLM that is the first to touch on that by having Bond meet Agent XXX, who's supposed to represent Women's Lib of the 70s in being as capable an agent as Bond. But as the years pass I think that's something the films play more on, especially since GE with Bond being considered a relic of the Cold War.

There was an interview where Waller-Bridge was asked what it means for Bond in the #MeToo era and that's pretty much how she put it. Bond's world changes, but he remains relatively the same. This is keeping in with Fleming's idea of Bond being a man out of time, someone who represents the long gone British Empire in a world that's always changing. The early movies never really evoked that, in fact it might be TSWLM that is the first to touch on that by having Bond meet Agent XXX, who's supposed to represent Women's Lib of the 70s in being as capable an agent as Bond. But as the years pass I think that's something the films play more on, especially since GE with Bond being considered a relic of the Cold War.

That is encouraging to hear that from Waller-Bridge, I remember when GE was initially released Bond in the film was bombarded by a barage of 90's PC though I was more preoccupied by the excitement of watching a new Bond film for the first time in 6 years. Bond inevitably took it on his chin and went about his business, the film makers certainly played on it a great deal in GE like you say.
  • ConnorConnor UK
    Hildur Guðnadóttir should compose the scores henceforth.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Connor wrote: »
    Hildur Guðnadóttir should compose the scores henceforth.

A slow cello and electronic ambient version of the Bond theme over the opening gunbarrel is what we've been missing, for sure.
  • Last week I heard new track by The Neighbourhood “Yellow Box” and I must say, in some parts it has this Bond-style, maybe except for the long, post apocalyptic intro. Check for yourself, especially from 2:09.
    Eeurggh! Slow and dreary.

Next!
    VeryOddJob wrote: »
    Last week I heard new track by The Neighbourhood “Yellow Box” and I must say, in some parts it has this Bond-style, maybe except for the long, post apocalyptic intro. Check for yourself, especially from 2:09.

I like it, but not sure I hear the Bond-style that you do. Still, I've heard worse suggestions!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 12,914
    Short of a title track and following score (and trailers and product advertisements) being available, I've been identifying production-related sound and music.

No limits, corollaries welcome. I'm including 40 Shillings on the Drum and Boy George's mischief.

Is there anything more at this point?

No Time to Die Title Reveal (0:30)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChJ_afRiUzo

"Boom Shot Dis" (3:42), Kully B & Gussy G
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MUJWbYJESz4

"A Flight to Dubai" (1:29), JMY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gi8k8jFasY

"From N.Peal With Love" (2:07), David Arnold
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT4ZCrnsR18

"No Time To Die" (6:54), 40 Shillings on the Drum
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLryhRbkZE

"No Time To Die" (3:54), Boy George
    https://soundcloud.com/boy-george/no-time-to-die-boy-george

ADD:

"No Time To Die (We Strengthen Our Bond)", Ryan James Swift
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZCYcQ0i_0
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Dan Romer reported to having left the production of NTTD

I've said it for a while throughout this thread - Romer has always been the most expendable member of the crew and the one Eon most likely wanted to replace.

The score is only added very late in the production and it's never too lat to replace it. Remember the re-scored tank chase in GE was completed days before the premiere.

I hope this isn't true as it would signal that Eon are exerting pressure on Fukunaga. However, there is also a chance that this was Fukunaga's decision and he saw the music wasn't working.

I think with the late notice it's David Arnold's gig to loose.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I sincerely hope this isn't true, but then again, great scores have been written in only a few weeks time. I'm really looking forward to updates.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,035
    We’re now at November 1st. Six months until the film comes out.

Plenty of time for a new composer to fully take the reigns.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I sincerely hope this isn't true, but then again, great scores have been written in only a few weeks time. I'm really looking forward to updates.

I'm fairly sure Romer was not about to deliver a great score - serviceable and forgettable at best is what I was anticipating.

So probably no great loss.

I think Arnold would be great, but surely every top composer in the world would be jumping at this opportunity. Could be great news for NTTD.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,009
    I wonder how much music has actually been written at this stage. I know Romer likes to be involved throughout filming, so I am curious as to whether it was a creative clash or something more mundane (if it's actually true, that is), considering we're still quite a bit out from release.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2019 Posts: 7,889
    Instead of the Bat Signal, is EON projecting a giant “A” into to the sky and onto the gathering clouds? 😁.
    I wonder how much music has actually been written at this stage. I know Romer likes to be involved throughout filming, so I am curious as to whether it was a creative clash or something more mundane (if it's actually true, that is), considering we're still quite a bit out from release.

It would be creative differences I am sure. EON put up with Newman because of Mendes but perhaps won't be quite as accommodating for a relative young director like Fukunaga.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Instead of the Bat Signal, is EON projecting a giant “A” into to the sky and onto the gathering clouds? 😁.

Aqua ?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    vzok wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Aqua ?

Do you need it spelled out? 🤔

Something like this would be nice

It's an absurd sequence and I'm never a fan of CGI fakery but it has something about it. Still have a soft spot for QOS.
  • Dan Romer reported to having left the production of NTTD

I've said it for a while throughout this thread - Romer has always been the most expendable member of the crew and the one Eon most likely wanted to replace.

The score is only added very late in the production and it's never too lat to replace it. Remember the re-scored tank chase in GE was completed days before the premiere.

I hope this isn't true as it would signal that Eon are exerting pressure on Fukunaga. However, there is also a chance that this was Fukunaga's decision and he saw the music wasn't working.

I think with the late notice it's David Arnold's gig to loose.
    Perfect! Bring on David Arnold and his N. Peal music!

Yeah, that N. Peal theme was wonderful.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Univex wrote: »
    Yeah, that N. Peal theme was wonderful.
    Considering it wasn't even a real orchestra it is very impressive.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Exciting times if this is true! Arnold would be the obvious choice for many - but unlike many of you - I found the N.Peal thing extremely generic - was hoping Arnold might have updated his sound a bit more after 10 years absence. ? I'd love to see a new composer get a short - someone like Daniel Pemberton, Terrance Blanchard or Henry Jackman - but let's see how this all plays out.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Satorious wrote: »
    Exciting times if this is true! Arnold would be the obvious choice for many - but unlike many of you - I found the N.Peal thing extremely generic - was hoping Arnold might have updated his sound a bit more after 10 years absence. ? I'd love to see a new composer get a short - someone like Daniel Pemberton, Terrance Blanchard or Henry Jackman - but let's see how this all plays out.

Yeah, there’s so many other rich composers out there that it would feel like a waste to just only use Arnold just because some fans think of him as the anointed. The guy had a run for a full decade with five films. That’s plenty enough for me.