NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Some of you are disappointed with Barbara? Really? I find that hard to believe ... but I guess not; there are some who have criticized her for years. I'm happy with pretty much everything I've read about concerning Bond 25, including director, entire cast. Some members who could use a break, then yeah take a walkabout for awhile. Because the way Bond 25 is shaping up, if you are unhappy now you will probably hate what is coming to us.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Newman didn't use it too much simply because he doesn't like using other people's works (hence why he didn't weave the theme song into the score).
    Not true. He used both. SF in Macao, SP in Morocco.

Only because EON forced him to at gun point. He didnt even orchestrate those parts of the score himself. He comes across as a total douche.

Crying shame Adele's SF theme was not used more in the score.
    The guy may even get out of his comfort zone and give us something completely different of what he's done before. I liked his Maniac soundtrack best. It had a bit of everything, so it shows he's eclectic. Now if only he could tap in to the Barry sound, and all the brass...
    Ah yes, it was @Zekidk 's comment, but you concurred.
    Should have mentioned it directly to him.

I am fine with Romer being on board. As I've said, I think it's good (and expected) that Cary would choose someone he's worked with before. I look forward to different music in this Bond film, yet still retaining enough Bondian flare. I'm not concerned.

In Cubby's day, he was the boss. He chose the director, and they had to fit in with the likes of Ken Adam, Maurice Binder and John Barry. They didn't get to choose who they wanted. Mendes proved that just because you've collaborated with someone before, it doesn't mean the soundtrack will be superb.

As someone earlier mentioned, any director rocking up to direct the next Star Wars franchise film wouldn't get to choose their own composer.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,665
    @jetsetwilly, out of curiosity, don't you like anything that's come out about the film? Pictures, the production video, the crew and cast,... Just wondering.

I understand the criticism. But I can't help but think this has been an era in which they've thought about Fleming the most in some regards. And they have been bringing new blood into the family as well. More now than ever. Granted, I think P&W have overstayed their welcome since 2002. But other than that, hasn't Broccoli done a good job? Haven't the latest films been quality productions? (despite SP awful writing/story). More so than, say, TWINE or DUD? I don't know, just wondering.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Great news. Very pleased it's not David Arnold. I loved Newman's work on Skyfall, and would appreciate something in that vein. My dream candidate, Johann Johansson, was never on the cards anyway. We're in for something radically different on all fronts. I have absolute faith in Cary. It's a shame he couldn't have built Bond 25 from the ground up.
    Romer doesn't thrill me but I get the sense he's a very different composer to Newman. He won't be an arrogant d**k like Newman. I'm expecting a rich mix of sounds and a proper collaboration on the title song with themes running through the film.

I'm also hoping for some other musical collaborations with perhaps some music in the nightclub scene being contributed by another artist.

I don't think it's going to be an Arnold esque Barry tribute. But I think this guy will approach the job with energy and enthusiasm and a desire to prove himself.
    Univex wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly, out of curiosity, don't you like anything that's come out about the film? Pictures, the production video, the crew and cast,... Just wondering.

I'm liking some of the footage in Jamaica, and the official photo of Craig walking in London with the Aston Martin behind him. I'm also liking the rumours around the storyline being lifted from YOLT novel (although I guess this may just be BS).

I was really hoping we would get a Bondian score too. Judging by who they have chosen, and the work he has done so far, we've got Newman MK2.
    Great news. Very pleased it's not David Arnold. I loved Newman's work on Skyfall, and would appreciate something in that vein. My dream candidate, Johann Johansson, was never on the cards anyway. We're in for something radically different on all fronts. I have absolute faith in Cary. It's a shame he couldn't have built Bond 25 from the ground up.

He died in 2018. That would be like wishing Barry was a candidate. And I know which one I'd prefer ;)
    I want a score that gets the adrenaline going from the opening gunbarrel to the closing credits.
    We are not in Cubby's day. I guess that may make many unhappy.

But I'm thankful our Bond films continue - and they do, only because they grow with the times to a certain extent, while still retaining some essence of Fleming and Bond heritage. Which we still have. But it staying more and more (formula, music, whatever) like our older films is not what will help continue Bond.

New Bond actors, directors, and music all move this series forward. Keep it fresh, interesting, viable, exciting. All of that. B-) Otherwise, it would have died out with Roger Moore's era.

You obviously have very different taste to the average Bond fan.
    I'm a lifelong fan. I love Barry. I don't want us stuck in the past, is all. I think that's not healthy. I welcome everything about Bond 25 so far. If the music sucks, I will be surprised - but I'm not bashing the new composer at this point. Cary chose him, and I respect that.

I do know that some folks like Newman's work a good deal. I found it just middle of the road, and lacking at times. But I don't hate it.

Cary is building well in Bond 25. Who was retained from Boyle's brief time? The costume designer, yes - and she seems to be doing a great job. But I don't remember who else ...
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 1,310
    While I am not anything close to a musician myself, I find that I am quite passionate about film scores. I also find myself constantly underwhelmed by the generally generic scores that populate most action films nowadays.

I listen to John Barry's 007 work on a daily basis, his music often gets me through some long days at work. The quality (and variety) of Barry's work for those films have been discussed at length on these forums and elsewhere so I'll just simply say: it is brilliant stuff.

For whatever it's worth, I consider Thomas Newman's Bond work to be among the dullest and most uninspired stuff in the series. It's not necessarily all BAD mind you (I thought the Skyfall score was a dull listen on its own, yet worked well in the film), but I was always underwhelmed with Newman. However, I felt his Spectre score, despite ripping the Skyfall score off, was a big downgrade. The track "Snow Plane" (heard during the plane action sequence) is probably the worst action cue ever composed for a Bond film.

I'm happy Newman is not returning (I never expected him to with Mendes out of the picture anyway), but I was really hoping for a return to a classic Bond/John Barry style. I always thought David Arnold did solid work, but as some of you have mentioned, he never created truly classic cues. Some of his action work is a good listen, but I find his much of his slower paced music (particularly the romantic cues) a bit dull.

So, in listening to some of Dan Romer's work (Far Cry 5, Beasts of No Nation)...God, I wish I were less cynical sometimes...it sounds nothing like Bond to me. A lot of it sounds familiar - Far Cry 5's action cues in particular sound like it could belong in any action film nowadays. All that over-reliance on overwhelming percussion, I'm really tired of that.

But...

...then I always remember that a bit of me also like Eric Serra's work in GoldenEye, and let's be honest, that really sounds nothing like Bond either.

I'm in no way condemning this Dan Romer hire, not like my opinion matters in that regard anyway, and an unexpected score sometimes gives a film far more personality than it would have otherwise (ahem, For Your Eyes Only) -- but, I was really hoping for something like classic Bond. And it doesn't look like we're getting that.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    No. Just no. The producers need to man up. This "the director chooses his own composer" has to stop! It certainly didn't lift the last two.

This, basically. I am not interested in a Cary Joji Fukunaga film, I want a Bond film.
    I am hoping that Cary puts emphasis on the music fitting the film, with some Bondian touches. He must be aware of it; he seems to put importance to music in all his films.

I doubt he would be unaware of the importance to Bond fans (and I remember EON trying to get that into Newman's head). The end product of Newman felt to me like Mendes let him float on his own and only EON was making an effort to get it to be more Bondian.

I would have been happy with David Arnold, but I did not expect that. Even if David had returned, I would have hoped for something different from him in this one. Though with David we would have been guaranteed (I think) some Bondian flavor. We either trust Cary to help shape the music or not. At this time, I trust him to be involved enough with that aspect and to respect the history of Bond and to listen to EON enough.
    No. Just no. The producers need to man up. This "the director chooses his own composer" has to stop! It certainly didn't lift the last two.

This, basically. I am not interested in a Cary Joji Fukunaga film, I want a Bond film.
    For most Bond fans, James Bond films are about nostalgia. For them, a Bond film is a vehicle that transports them back into their childhood for about 2 hours. I say bollocks to that! When I watch the newest Bond film, I want to feel like moviegoers felt when they watched Dr No back in 1962.

Me, too. The directors that Cubby and Harry hired a each gave their individual stamps on their Bond films, yet they remained unarguably Bond films.
    When I watch SP I feel like I'm watching a Sam Mendes version of a Bond film rather than a real Bond film.
    I want a Cary Fukunaga Bond film. And I think that will be great, and still Bondian.

Agree totally. The way this is shaping up, it will end up more like a gloomy Netflix drama than a traditional Bond film. Babs has lost her way and needs to sell up to someone who cares about Bond.
    SJK91 wrote: »
    While I am not anything close to a musician myself, I find that I am quite passionate about film scores. I also find myself constantly underwhelmed by the generally generic scores that populate most action films nowadays.

I listen to John Barry's 007 work on a daily basis, his music often gets me through some long days at work. The quality (and variety) of Barry's work for those films have been discussed at length on these forums and elsewhere so I'll just simply say: it is brilliant stuff.

For whatever it's worth, I consider Thomas Newman's Bond work to be among the dullest and most uninspired stuff in the series. It's not necessarily all BAD mind you (I thought the Skyfall score was a dull listen on its own, yet worked well in the film), but I was always underwhelmed with Newman. However, I felt his Spectre score, despite ripping the Skyfall score off, was a big downgrade. The track "Snow Plane" (heard during the plane action sequence) is probably the worst action cue ever composed for a Bond film.

I'm happy Newman is not returning (I never expected him to with Mendes out of the picture anyway), but I was really hoping for a return to a classic Bond/John Barry style. I always thought David Arnold did solid work, but as some of you have mentioned, he never created truly classic cues. Some of his action work is a good listen, but I find his much of his slower paced music (particularly the romantic cues) a bit dull.

So, in listening to some of Dan Romer's work (Far Cry 5, Beasts of No Nation)...God, I wish I were less cynical sometimes...it sounds nothing like Bond to me. A lot of it sounds familiar - Far Cry 5's action cues in particular sound like it could belong in any action film nowadays. All that over-reliance on overwhelming percussion, I'm really tired of that.

But...

...then I always remember that a bit of me also like Eric Serra's work in GoldenEye, and let's be honest, that really sounds nothing like Bond either.

I'm in no way condemning this Dan Romer hire, not like my opinion matters in that regard anyway, and an unexpected score sometimes gives a film far more personality than it would have otherwise (ahem, For Your Eyes Only) -- but, I was really hoping for something like classic Bond. And it doesn't look like we're getting that.

Best post I've read today! ^:)^

Agree totally. The way this is shaping up, it will end up more like a gloomy Netflix drama than a traditional Bond film. Babs has lost her way and needs to sell up to someone who cares about Bond.
    BOND 26: produced, written and directed by SIR CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by HANS ZIMMER :))

That would sound far more promising that what we have currently with Bond 25.
    For most Bond fans, James Bond films are about nostalgia. For them, a Bond film is a vehicle that transports them back into their childhood for about 2 hours. I say bollocks to that! When I watch the newest Bond film, I want to feel like moviegoers felt when they watched Dr No back in 1962.
    I think it has to be a bit of both.

I want a Cary Fukunaga Bond film. And I think that will be great, and still Bondian.

You are in the minority then, because most Bond fans want a Bond film.

I agree. But I do wonder if directors have too much power sometimes. With Bond the magic has often come from the producers assembling a great team. Basically Binder, Adam and Barry, with other regulars dropping in and out. Sometimes the director is not the best placed to make all these creative decisions.

Anyway hopefully this works out. I think the score will be better than Newman (not hard).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,656
    That would sound far more promising that what we have currently with Bond 25.

Worst case scenario. While I'd be ready to give Nolan a shot at convincing me that he can do more than utterly pretentious stuff, a Zimmer score invariably ruins a movie for me by drowning it in a totally generic, industrially-produced, computer-generated instant gravy of non-descript noise without any redeeming musical qualities, nor any trace of memorability. Leave out the score altogether, and it will be a better film than that.

I think it has to be a bit of both.

The series would never have survived if it hadn't kept certain elements, and Cubby knew that from the start. Connery's early films are very different to Moore in his pomp, and then the darker Dalton films, yet the trademarks were still in tact - returning directors (Hamilton, Gilbert, Glen), Barry, Binder, Maibaum, Adam, etc.

The films could evolve yet keep certain talent. The only returning crew we get stuck with is P&W.
    After the departure of Danny Boyle, I’m inclined to believe there’ll be a good balance of creative freedom for the director and an appropriate amount of producer control.