Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am getting 12 Monkeys vibes which is a film I love.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,497
    WOOOOOW. Welcome to the afterlife.

Has it happened yet? :-?

1:40... :-O
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Looks good. Nolan's take on time travel it may be
    Not so keen on the time element.
    And as always, I´m not keen on the constant dimness of sunlight.
    And I fear that the sonic accompaniment will be intolerably loud in places.
    But it looks good enough to probably make me go see it.
  • It looks to be more Inception/Memento than Bond. Nothing really jumped out at me, but I think that's deliberate and everything will be revealed in the film. I would rather they not show much in the trailers, than have the whole film ruined before it comes out.

Nolan is one of the few directors who makes original, intelligent blockbusters nowadays, rather than cgi nonsense and I think he needs to be applauded for that, regardless of whether they are good or not. His ambition is probably the most valuable asset Hollywood has now.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Haven't got a clue what is going on, a proper teaser from Mr Nolan, I'll definitely be queuing up to see this.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I'll be there for this with bells on.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Nice to see SPECTRE’s DP still getting work. Hope he doesn’t get too much gripe over his signature “piss yellow” aesthetic this time. ;)
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 727
    Why would he get gripes? He is one of the best DP's in the business. That he was ill suited for Spectre doesn't make him bad.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,021
    Why would he get gripes? He is one of the best DP's in the business. That he was ill suited for Spectre doesn't make him bad.

I was being cheeky... hence the smilie. Plus I find the term “piss yellow” rather crass.
    It was meant to be. Glad it got the designated effect.
    Just want to say I’m super excited for Tenet. Nolan is certainly one of the best filmmakers of modern times, and I really loved his last film Dunkirk in particular. I have a very good feeling about Tenet.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,400
    I certainly consider myself ‘teased’ if not underwhelmed. The dialogue about the ‘after life’ and ‘World War 3’ feels a little generic action movie-esque. The whole thing does feel a little familiar. It’s Bond-meets-Inception. I suppose it’s holding back the bigger reveals for later. I’m in anyway because it’s Nolan.

Also, I won’t tolerate any smack-talk about Hoyte’s work on SP – which I thought was stunning. I’m really digging the aesthetic for Tenet. It has that gritty, overcast espionage feel. Reminiscent of the world of John Le Carre.

In my opinion, it’s what a spy movie in 2020 should look like…..

EMLqNa8U8AATLKP?format=jpg&name=large

EMKprofWsAAf3mG?format=jpg&name=large

EMKpuGaW4AE2M_B?format=jpg&name=large

l5eidkl8vn541.jpg
    I really admired his photography on SP, so it's nice to see him get another stab an espionage adventure with this. I'll take it. "Piss yellow" and all.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Meh. I'm mean I'll see this, but it looks like everything we've seen before. And you know I always liked Michael Douglas and Kate Hudson, but still... I really hate nepotism. Hopefully the main trailer can show more reason to want to see this, otherwise it's running on Nolan's name only.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I like it and will definitely watch it in the cinema.
    Micheal Douglas? Hudson? Other movie?
    I think he means a person getting his foot in the film business on account of being the son/daughter of a famous actor. I must say so far I have nothing to complain about young Master Washington, having seen BKM and this trailer. There surely are worse actors. A certain degree of sterility in everyone´s acting is surely down to the director, since he many times had that in his films?

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Ah thanks for the comment. My fault. Didn't know anything about the main characters actor.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think he means a person getting his foot in the film business on account of being the son/daughter of a famous actor. I must say so far I have nothing to complain about young Master Washington, having seen BKM and this trailer. There surely are worse actors. A certain degree of sterility in everyone´s acting is surely down to the director, since he many times had that in his films?

Who had that many times? Nolan? :-?
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    And you know I always liked Michael Douglas and Kate Hudson, but still... I really hate nepotism.

I hate it too, but John David Washington is the real deal.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No Zimmer this time... I'm intrigued.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

Who had that many times? Nolan? :-?
    The very same. Not sure if sterile is the right word for what I mean. But to me it feels many times in Nolan´s films that there´s a divide between me and the characters, as if he deliberately has them do things in a slightly bloodless manner, even when they show feelings n the screen. I don´t mean to critisize this necessarily. I´m not always keen on it, but others may like it.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    No Zimmer this time... I'm intrigued.

If the trailer is anything to go by, it won´t make a difference ;-).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,438
    New composer, but stil to dark music. Don't get any spy feeling at all.

Nolan's darker version of ''Source Code'' Or ''Looper''.

Boat scene between the windmills looks great.
    The 6 and a half minute IMAX prologue (different from Thursday's trailer) is screening at most IMAX venues around the world ahead of Star Wars! At the BFI IMAX in London as well as in 5 venues in the US (two science centers, the Lincoln Square IMAX in NY, AMC Metreon in San Fran and Universal Cirywalk in LA) the preview is screened from 70mm film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I heard the prologue has been edited so the one that will actually open the film will be slightly longer.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I heard the prologue has been edited so the one that will actually open the film will be slightly longer.

Yeah it might not even be the opening of the film! Dunkirk's one was essentially an extended trailer.
  • @antovolk can you explain the aspect ratio to me.....
    @antovolk can you explain the aspect ratio to me.....

This thing I put together for Dunkirk should hopefully do the trick-
    dunkirk_1.jpeg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've got my screening of TROS booked for 02/01/20 in IMAX so maybe I might catch this prologue.

It will be my first time as I never saw either TDK, TDKR or Dunkirk's. If this and NTTD trailer are on before the main feature that would be great.

Fingers crossed.
  • Can't say the trailer blew me away, but it's Nolan, and I love the idea of a trippy, Inception esque take on Bond. I'll definitely be seeing it. Nolan has pretty much a flawless track record imo. Even Interstellar was decent.