Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

And the beauty of it is they’ll all see it, even the ones that claim they wouldn’t.

Very true!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,185
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I don't like Nomi's character. What kind of professional threatens to shot another agent? It wasn't sarcasm in the trailer; she was totally serious about putting a cap in his knee. Who does that?!? Aren't they on the same side? For real, that's messed up. It supposed to seem pithy and hip but it comes off as unprofessional, insecure, and ridiculous if you really think about.

I will.
    After i watched the movie.
    What point does it make to talk about it now?
    You are basically just trying to confirm your bias. And we don't even know if that line will be featured in the final film, or maybe a different version of it.

For the moment Nomi isn't bevahing any different from Vesper or Agent Fields when they first met Bond, plus Nomi having a slight advantage of being a trained 00 Agent. That's all they've given us yet.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited January 2020 Posts: 524
    The more I think about it, the more I don't like Nomi's character. What kind of professional threatens to shot another agent? It wasn't sarcasm in the trailer; she was totally serious about putting a cap in his knee. Who does that?!? Aren't they on the same side? For real, that's messed up. It supposed to seem pithy and hip but it comes off as unprofessional, insecure, and ridiculous if you really think about it.

But we don't have any context to the scene, what Bond's been doing in Jamaica, what she's been up to. Is he still that super capable agent? We just have the one liner. A bit early to conclude certain things, IMO.
    We know Felix has asked Bond to help him. But we don't know what Nomi's doing there and what her orders are.

She's a 00, maybe Bond's direct successor. Say she's undercover, working on a new operation. She got her assignment from M, but doesn't know Felix asked Bond to help. Maybe she doesn't know Bond is there, and she thinks he's going to jeopardise her whole operation. Bond's been off the grid. He does things his way. If she's a by-the-books agent, she won't be very happy with Bond's methods.

Meanwhile, Bond has been in retirement. We don't know what his condition is like. If Skyfall's anything to go by, he could be drinking, hooking up with the ladies and popping pills again. If he's in that state, I can understand the comment she makes.

Context is everything. While the line is blunt, it's also without context. Are they truly on the same side at that moment in the film? We don't know.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,185
    The more I think about it, the more I don't like Nomi's character. What kind of professional threatens to shot another agent? It wasn't sarcasm in the trailer; she was totally serious about putting a cap in his knee. Who does that?!? Aren't they on the same side? For real, that's messed up. It supposed to seem pithy and hip but it comes off as unprofessional, insecure, and ridiculous if you really think about it.

But we don't have any context to the scene, what Bond's been doing in Jamaica, what she's been up to. Is he still that super capable agent? We just have the one liner. A bit early to conclude certain things, IMO.
    We know Felix has asked Bond to help him. But we don't know what Nomi's doing there and what her orders are.

She's a 00, maybe Bond's direct successor. Say she's undercover, working on a new operation. She got her assignment from M, but doesn't know Felix asked Bond to help. Maybe she doesn't know Bond is there, and she thinks he's going to jeopardise her whole operation. Bond's been off the grid. He does things his way. If she's a by-the-books agent, she won't be very happy with Bond's methods.

Meanwhile, Bond has been in retirement. We don't know what his condition is like. If Skyfall's anything to go by, he could be drinking, hooking up with the ladies and popping pills again. If he's in that state, I can understand the comment she makes.

Context is everything. While the line is blunt, it's also without context. Are they truly on the same side at that moment in the film? We don't know.

Agreed.

Agent Fields threatened to put him in handcuffs, because that's the best she could do.
    Nomi threatens to put a bullet in his knee, because she knows she could.

Bond brings out the best in people lol. We all know he's not backing down. He will be doing his thing regardless. In this case he will get involved in the Havana business and jepordize Nomi's mission probably. Get a bunch of people killed in the process (including Paloma maybe).

I believe we will have some great verbal exchanges between Bond and Nomi, the stage is set. For the trailers they decided to focus on Nomi only, i guess to give her the limelight. In the film it will be a lot more balanced.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    And the beauty of it is they’ll all see it, even the ones that claim they wouldn’t.

Very true!

Not really. Take it from me, if the drive isn't there, it's really not that hard to not see Bond on the big screen. I didn't see SP on the big screen, and it's honestly not something worth lying about.

Very true!

Not really. Take it from me, if the drive isn't there, it's really not that hard to not see Bond on the big screen. I didn't see SP on the big screen, and it's honestly not something worth lying about.

There will always be some, but the majority will still go and watch it I think.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

So you’ve basically already made up your mind before watching the whole film.

I think that goes for a lot of people…

Yeah, and i'm sure feminists would have the same calm 'wait and see' attitude if Bond had threatened her with a bullet in the knee.....
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    00Agent wrote: »

Agreed.

Agent Fields threatened to put him in handcuffs, because that's the best she could do.
    Nomi threatens to put a bullet in his knee, because she knows she could.

Bond brings out the best in people lol. We all know he's not backing down. He will be doing his thing regardless. In this case he will get involved in the Havana business and jepordize Nomi's mission probably. Get a bunch of people killed in the process (including Paloma maybe).

I believe we will have some great verbal exchanges between Bond and Nomi, the stage is set. For the trailers they decided to focus on Nomi only, i guess to give her the limelight. In the film it will be a lot more balanced.

I mean, you don't become a 00 by being 'nice.' Plus, CJF has spoke about how Nomi will speak to the 'ok, boomer' generation. There is clearly going to be friction between them and the trailer pretty much reveals that they eventually work together.

But in all honesty, isn't 'I'll put a bullet in your knee, the one that works' line a sly nod to Craig's injury? I mean, they stopped filming for him to have an operation on his knee. I think its a terrific line.

daniel-craig-crutches.jpg?w=1800&h=2700

So you’ve basically already made up your mind before watching the whole film.

I think that goes for a lot of people…

Yeah, and i'm sure feminists would have the same calm 'wait and see' attitude if Bond had threatened her with a bullet in the knee.....

Well, yes and no.
    There will always be people who like to jump onto something because they feel attacked. And there are people with a 'wait and see' attitude. And that goes both ways. There are people (non-fans, Bond fans) who are very against Nomi, or jump that one quote from Barbara Broccoli about a Black Bond. There are other people (non-fans, Bond fans) who are outspoken about Nomi and love for her to have a big role. And there are people who feel the next Bond should be black, because of 'Why shouldn't they?'. And the third group (non-fans, Bond fans) want to see what happens first. They don't choose a side at the moment, but would like more context, wait and see.

All sides have a right to exist and to bring their opinion into the discussion. That's what makes it diverse, that's what makes it interesting.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Bond is not 007 anymore, so while Leiter comes to him for help, he's not an agent of the crown. To Nomi, despite his reputation, he is also a guy working for the competition (lets not kid ourselves here; America and the UK are allies, but their security services are competitive) who are also in pursuit of whatever it is she has possibly been ordered to retrieve. So no, there's nothing unprofessional about what she's saying. Seems like fair warning to me, and I'd imagine Craig's Bond will probably take it in his stride.

People are far too focused on all the wrong things when it comes to Nomi. I'm not saying she's going to be a great character, but a lot of the criticism is extremely overblown.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Bond is not 007 anymore, so while Leiter comes to him for help, he's not an agent of the crown. To Nomi, despite his reputation, he is also a guy working for the competition (lets not kid ourselves here; America and the UK are allies, but their security services are competitive)

Hardly. They are more like branches of one big company.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Bond is not 007 anymore, so while Leiter comes to him for help, he's not an agent of the crown. To Nomi, despite his reputation, he is also a guy working for the competition (lets not kid ourselves here; America and the UK are allies, but their security services are competitive)

Hardly. They are more like branches of one big company.

Not really, and certainly not in the Craig continuity.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Even Fleming treated them as such to an extent. The thing that kicks off YOLT is that the CIA aren’t playing ball with MI6.
  • I’m really loving the suggestion in the EW interview that Bond and Paloma are basically a tag-team in the Cuba sequences. There seems to be a suggestion that the clip in the trailer is them working in tandem to take down Safin.

93f82f0460a05424685033f37afbca4ae70272c2.gifv

I’m enjoying everything I’m hearing about Paloma – a modern femme-fatale that can kick arse. Maybe there’s a chance that she gets the bump up in Bond 26 to leading lady. Maybe…

375d9fdd6e28ec33dfc559cc40b560b933ff6c23.gifv
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m really loving the suggestion in the EW interview that Bond and Paloma are basically a tag-team in the Cuba sequences. There seems to be a suggestion that the clip in the trailer is them working in tandem to take down Safin.

I’m enjoying everything I’m hearing about Paloma – a modern femme-fatale that can kick arse. Maybe there’s a chance that she gets the bump up in Bond 26 to leading lady. Maybe…

The two are working together to take down SPECTRE agents.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    matt_u wrote: »
    I’m really loving the suggestion in the EW interview that Bond and Paloma are basically a tag-team in the Cuba sequences. There seems to be a suggestion that the clip in the trailer is them working in tandem to take down Safin.

The two are working together to take down SPECTRE agents.

This is truly music to my ears……I hope we see Ana de Armas in more outfits than just that dress. Even though it is quite a dress.

Though I’m warming massively to Lashana. I didn’t find her all that attractive at the press launch. Which was me being rather superficial – but the term ‘Bond girl’ does invite that sorta curiosity. Nonetheless, she looks bloody gorgeous in these new photos. Every inch the British Lupita….I’m not even the slightest bit sore anymore that Lupita turned them down.

Lashana looks to be killing it. Though, all those less enthusiastic need to heed of EW’s words here:

https://ew.com/movies/no-time-to-die-ew-cover-shoot/?slide=6600641#6600641

Lashana Lynch, of Captain Marvel fame, plays double-0 agent Nomi. Theories abound over whether she'll be replacing Craig's 007, but No Time to Die's producers warned fans not to jump to any conclusions.

EO1KIqyWoAM-1ZW?format=jpg&name=large

EO1KIquXkAAJj2B?format=jpg&name=large

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2020%2F01%2Fb25_20330_rc2-2000.jpg
    I’m most curious how Lea Seydoux works here. Even though she’s returning as the lead actress she won’t be the same type of love interest that she was in SP. I kinda felt there was a missed opportunity with TND featuring a former flame with Paris Carver, who could have been an actual past Bond girl like Kara (had Dalton returned) or even Natalya from GE.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    What I'm wondering about the Swann character is whether she executes action that contradicts the obsession with avoiding her father's violent path. Being compelled to do that.
    She can handle a gun, so it’s possible she gets pushed to do more.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Naomie at the BAFTAs this evening

kjcRUoy.jpg
    yTkjVBi.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Holy Hell she is such a genuinely sexy woman!!!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    peter wrote: »
    Holy Hell she is such a genuinely sexy woman!!!

She is stunning
    Contraband wrote: »
    Naomie at the BAFTAs this evening

kjcRUoy.jpg
    yTkjVBi.jpg

Simply stunning!!! :-O :x
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It's Naomie's confidence and realness that does it for me. I love her frizzy hair in those pics too. I could get lost in that hair! She has become a real Bond MVP, promoting the films with such enthusiasm; gusto. I sincerely hope that her, along with Q, have their contracts extended beyond B25.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Just stunningly gorgeous!!

Léa Seydoux on the red carpet at the Academy Awards, Sun. Febr. 9, 2020, Dolby Theatre, Los Angeles

pOWw650.jpg
    6NEsrIx.jpg
    vM6Q6Dk.jpg
    CMnMOZ5.jpg
    DB3bDuo.jpg
    ZZEsOwS.jpg
  • There was a rumor that Bond & Madeleine were going to get married in this film. I was wondering if Madeleine did marry, but to someone else. So when Bond and Madeleine meet again as you see in the trailer, Bond is surprised because Madeleine no longer goes by Dr Swann but a different last name.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    There was a rumor that Bond & Madeleine were going to get married in this film. I was wondering if Madeleine did marry, but to someone else. So when Bond and Madeleine meet again as you see in the trailer, Bond is surprised because Madeleine no longer goes by Dr Swann but a different last name.
    Dr Mallory?
    There was a rumor that Bond & Madeleine were going to get married in this film. I was wondering if Madeleine did marry, but to someone else. So when Bond and Madeleine meet again as you see in the trailer, Bond is surprised because Madeleine no longer goes by Dr Swann but a different last name.
    Dr. Safin?
    Dr. Safin?
    Dr Q?
    Dr. Blofeld?