Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    A female 007 doesn't mean a woke Bond movie, it just means trying to do something new with the franchise so that we're not just seeing the same old stuff all the time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We haven't been seeing the same old stuff in the last 4 movies anyway.
    So you really think that Lashana Lynch is 007 in No Time To Die is just a bullshit?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    This argument has become extremely boring.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    And it wasn't that exciting to begin with.

Sani wrote: »
    So you really think that Lashana Lynch is 007 in No Time To Die is just a bullshit?
    tumblr_pg7i35mWMF1r1ult6o1_500.gif
    tumblr_pg7i35mWMF1r1ult6o2_500.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    00Agent wrote: »
    And it wasn't that exciting to begin with.
    Good point, although at least we used to have some people giving proper detailed reasoning for why they're not a fan of the idea, now it's mainly the toys being thrown out again.
    A female 007 doesn't mean a woke Bond movie
    A black female 007 from Phoebe Waller Bridge in 2019 doesn't mean woke Bond movie? You really believe that?
  • Sani wrote: »
    A black female 007 from Phoebe Waller Bridge in 2019 doesn't mean woke Bond movie? You really believe that?

Some of us have been with this franchise for awhile. On behalf of us all, let me assure you: Bond 26 will feature a white male named James Bond who has the code number 007 in the British secret service. Will you please just let the current creative staff do their thing before you decide whether or not they've done it well?
    Bond 26 will feature a white male named James Bond who has the code number 007 in the British secret service.
    I know that, I have problem with 25 not 26.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

What would be “woke” is if the actual Bond character was altered into a black female. That’s not what’s happening.
    A black female 00 agent would be fine. A black female Agent 007 INSTEAD OF James Bond is woke.
    Bond 26 will feature a white male named James Bond who has the code number 007 in the British secret service.
    I know that, I have problem with 25 not 26.

Then you have a problem with a movie you haven't seen yet. Some of us prefer to actually SEE a movie before we make our judgments...
    A black female 00 agent would be fine. A black female Agent 007 INSTEAD OF James Bond is woke.

So if the new character was a white man named Basil St. John with the 007 prefix, you’d have less of an issue with that?
    Then you have a problem with a movie you haven't seen yet.
    And unfortunately I won't, if it is true.
    (I'm a fan, too, since decades.)

So if the new character was a white man named Basil St. John with the 007 prefix, you’d have less of an issue with that?

St. John-Smythe, if you please.

What? Old Basil Adair "Sinjin" Ashlie-Brinley is a 00 now? Haven't heard from him since Eton.

Kidding of course. And well put @MakeshiftPython.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185

But people didn't ask for that. People asked for James Bond to be black or female.
    By making 007 a black female (temporarily) EoN is playing around with the public perception while not changing much at all. It's actually pretty smart.

Bond is still Bond though, that is the main takeaway. I don't give a toss what his number is, most important to me is that his character doesn't get watered down, and i have no reason to believe it will.
    Bond not being on active service for half or the whole film has become almost a trope since LTK, no one complains (almost no one). If your enjoyment of a Bond film depends on whether James Bond is "007" from start to finish... then maybe just stick with James Bond Jr. Maybe that's more your thing really.

Why so certain PWB is responsible for that idea? She was brought on pretty late.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Why so certain PWB is responsible for that idea? She was brought on pretty late.

Cause she’s a female, even though Bond has had a credited female writer as far back as DR. NO, but NOW it should be a concern cause feminism, woke, whatever etc.

But people didn't ask for that. People asked for James Bond to be black or female.
    By making 007 a black female (temporarily) EoN is playing around with the public perception while not changing much at all. It's actually pretty smart.

Bond is still Bond though, that is the main takeaway. I don't give a toss what his number is, most important to me is that his character doesn't get watered down, and i have no reason to believe it will.
    Bond not being on active service for half or all of his films has become almost a trope since LTK, no one complains (almost no one). If your enjoyment of a Bond film depends on whether James Bond is "007" from start to finish... then maybe just stick with James Bond Jr. Maybe that's more your thing really.
    A black female James Bond would be too much. (yet)
    James Bond is not 007, ok, fine, not the first time. A black female 007 in this PC madness, this is my problem.

Bond not being on active service for half or all of his films has become almost a trope since LTK, no one complains (almost no one). If your enjoyment of a Bond film depends on whether James Bond is "007" from start to finish... then maybe just stick with James Bond Jr. Maybe that's more your thing really.
    James Bond is not 007, ok, fine, not the first time. A black female 007 in this PC madness, this is my problem.

So, you’re saying you wouldn’t have a problem if it was a new white male character?

Cause she’s a female, even though Bond has had a credited female writer as far back as DR. NO, but NOW it should be a concern cause feminism, woke, whatever etc.

Strange how things change…

So, you’re saying you wouldn’t have a problem if it was a new white male character?
    I wouldn't feel the required propaganda.
    Cause she’s a female...
    Of course that's not true. I read more interview with her, and obviously she is a feminist.
    ugh, people believe whatever they want to believe. I'm not gonna waste anymore time with this. Keep dwelling in your paranoia... enjoy it while it lasts.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Cause she’s a female...
    Of course that's not true. I read more interview with her, and obviously she is a feminist.
    Feminist doesn't automatically mean that their work will be a "propaganda" piece. It is possible to separate your work and your politics, but to be honest I think you're just making assumptions based on a generalised idea of what feminism is...

...and it has mainly been the media who have spun this intense #MeToo movement angle, bar one quote from Broccoli that only really means she's aware of it and that there does need to be a change with female representation going forward, but that in no way means this will be a "propaganda" piece, or even a cheap gimmick.

In my opinion, I think this is going to be a great film that's in good hands, and Lashana Lynch can only add to that. From what we've seen already, even if not much, I think we're going to enjoy her character thoroughly.

Plus, someone who has just one three Emmy's including two for her writing has worked on our upcoming Bond film. How exciting is that?

That’s a flimsy justification on your part.

That’s a flimsy justification on your part.

What?
    You’re using “woke” and “feminism” as a justification to dismiss the concept of a black female 007 instead of just waiting to watch the film.