Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Anybody watch haphazard stuff 007 reaction video?

Nope, if he hasn't seen the film i couldn't care less about his opinion.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,126
    00Agent wrote: »

Nope, if he hasn't seen the film i couldn't care less about his opinion.

Yeah true he does have some good humor though as always. He has definitely been really negative about the whole film.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,869
    I do enjoy his videos but I have to say, I can't help but feel this negativity towards the film, and more importantly Lashana Lynch and the 007 thing is subconsciously based on the ever-changing relationship between modern cinema and it's audiences, like I said over on the spoilers page.

Of course, your opinion is valid, as are mine, but I feel that the people giving this idea a chance are thinking about the film itself and how it could be great, rather than its "agenda", and how it can be bad, and honestly, if this is what it takes for women to get better writing and better opportunities in mainstream cinema, then I have to be all for it because without decisions like this a lot of the best cinematic female characters wouldn't exist.

Just think about all the people that were against women even appearing in a film, or being more than just the girl on the arm of our favourite character. If these things hadn't happened we probably wouldn't have characters like Fiona Volpe, Xenia Onatopp or Michelle Pheiffer's Catwoman.

As for the "007" thing. It's been proven that sequels, reboots and prequels are more appealing to audiences, so to me, the idea of the new will always scare people no matter what.

So combine that enjoyment for more sequels and more of what we know, with the negative rants about a feminist agenda that at the end of the day is for the best and might actually work.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I do enjoy his videos but I have to say, I can't help but feel this negativity towards the film, and more importantly Lashana Lynch and the 007 thing is subconsciously based on the ever-changing relationship between modern cinema and it's audiences, like I said over on the spoilers page.

Of course, your opinion is valid, as are mine, but I feel that the people giving this idea a chance are thinking about the film itself and it's contents, rather than its "agenda", and if I'm being honest, if this is what it takes for women to get better writing and better opportunities in mainstream cinema, then I have to be all for it because without decisions like this.

Just think about all the people that were against women even appearing in a film, or being more than just the girl on the arm of our favourite character. If these things hadn't happened we probably wouldn't have characters like Xenia Onatopp or Michelle Pheiffer's Catwoman.

As for the (007) thing. It's been proven that sequels, reboots and prequels are more appealing to audiences, so to me, the idea of the new will always scare people no matter what.

So combine that enjoyment for more sequels and more of what we know, with the negative rants about a feminist agenda that at the end of the day is for the best and might actually work.

I mean the negativity after Spectre was bad this makes it look like nothing. I always have to remind myself it's just one film whatever happens.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2019 Posts: 12,459
    In my world, old as I am, I have friends of all ages, careers, locations in this beautiful world. I have nobody whining, complaining, or even saying that Bond is becoming too "PC" and OMG! A female 007. Zero. And a few are lifelong Bond fans. And I'm so old I remember when some people said: "a female M? What?!" but actual they were few, even back then. Bond films will move on, and I'm glad they do.

Really, we need to relax on the negativity, doom and gloom, and slamming women, slamming political correctness (which for the most part is justified and an improvement in this world).

We obviously need some real news, new photos, and are nearly gnawing off our limbs in anticipation of an actual trailer, teaser or whatever kind. I'm enjoying myself because I don't have the angst with any of this. I'm really excited about Bond 25, love the cast, and haven't read anything upsetting so far.

Cheers! I hope you all have a good, positive, enjoyable weekend. Maybe read some Fleming or watch a Bond film. Or just indulge in other things you like to give yourself a break. B-)
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,126
    In my world, old as I am, I have friends of all ages, careers, locations in this beautiful world. I have nobody whining, complaining, or even saying that Bond is becoming too "PC" and OMG! A female 007. Zero. And a few are lifelong Bond fans.

Really, we need to relax on the negativity, doom and gloom, and slamming women, slamming political correctness (which for the most part is justified and an improvement in this world).

We obviously need some real news, new photos, and are nearly gnawing off our limbs in anticipation of an actual trailer, teaser or whatever kind. I'm enjoying myself because I don't have the angst with any of this. I'm really excited about Bond 25, love the cast, and haven't read anything upsetting so far.

Cheers! I hope you all have a good, positive, enjoyable weekend. Maybe read some Fleming or watch a Bond film. Or just indulge in other things you like to give yourself a break. B-)

@4EverBonded I have of course different political views but I'm all for strong women characters I just hate the instantly negativity with the story after not even having a trailer or the film to judge. I will say I was one of those people but I'm not anymore and the whole thing is just getting tiresome. I will try to it's a noisy world out there.

• For me it's what hindered the films in the later years, particularly during the Brosnan era, an era I couldn't connect to as a kid growing up because it felt so cookie cutter. Those latter three films had really strong concepts that could have made very interesting installments. TWINE had the most potential, but God forbid Bond doesn't end up alone at the end after killing Elektra. He has to have a Roger Moore type ending with the MI6 watching him shag as he spouts out an awful double entendre, because that's the "classic formula".

But I get it. The experiment with LTK was very rough for MGM/EON, so with Brosnan they opted to flirt with interesting concepts but ultimately play it safe. Whatever my feelings of Craig's run, I'm much more appreciative of EON trying to do something different, with SKYFALL being the highlight.
    I loved the Brosnan flicks as a kid growing up and I still like most of them enough. Not sure I would have loved Craig's as much as a kid, though.

Regardless I don't think the formula is the problem, it's the execution, and the writing.

In my world, old as I am, I have friends of all ages, careers, locations in this beautiful world. I have nobody whining, complaining, or even saying that Bond is becoming too "PC" and OMG! A female 007. Zero. And a few are lifelong Bond fans. And I'm so old I remember when some people said: "a female M? What?!" but actual they were few, even back then. Bond films will move on, and I'm glad they do.

A very, very good post. Thank you!
    It's been proven that sequels, reboots and prequels are more appealing to audiences, so to me, the idea of the new will always scare people no matter what.

To me, this is scary:

"The top-ten, box-office blockbusters of 2018 consist entirely of remakes, sequels, and films based on old comic book characters.

Creative people no longer create but copy. They do this because those marketing artistic creations find it easier to market a known commodity to the public than the unknown. This fosters decay. We live off the fumes of the past even as we ridicule it as backward, bland, and politically incorrect."

https://spectator.org/reboots-remakes-ruin-hollywood/
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Zekidk wrote: »
    It's been proven that sequels, reboots and prequels are more appealing to audiences, so to me, the idea of the new will always scare people no matter what.

To me, this is scary:

"The top-ten, box-office blockbusters of 2018 consist entirely of remakes, sequels, and films based on old comic book characters.

Creative people no longer create but copy. They do this because those marketing artistic creations find it easier to market a known commodity to the public than the unknown. This fosters decay. We live off the fumes of the past even as we ridicule it as backward, bland, and politically incorrect."

https://spectator.org/reboots-remakes-ruin-hollywood/

So long to creative original content
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2019 Posts: 8,079
    echo wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I got an easy solution. Eon must have seen the online and general media reaction to this 'news'. Why not just rewrite Nomi's character and have her as 005 or some other 00. Bond returns to the service and his 007 code name is reinstated.

Problem solved. No controversy. No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians! ;) This is a Bond film - who cares about gender equality. If you want gender equality go watch another film.

Eon should scrap the female 007 angle from the plot. No big deal. Rewrites are common. Scrap female 007 and everyone (bar a few feminists that are just pretending to like the franchise but in reality don't give a hoot!) will be happy. Bond is 007. PERIOD. Don't waste your time trying to convince us 007 is someone else. He's not. He's Bond. =D>

I'm sorry this makes you uncomfortable. Time marches on.

What is meant by this? We've had loads of strong female agents in the franchise history. This is hardly a new idea which they just though of. Its a trope at this point. The only difference here is that it involves James Bonds moniker. And why wouldn't they be uncomfortable? As if anyone goes to the cinema specifically to see Bond not being 007. Imagine all those people going to see the previous 24 installments and being disappointed that Bond was 007 everytime. Again, make her 003 and 98% of fan outrage goes away instantly. That would make a more interesting story in my view, with M torn between who he can rely on most, the old cynical 007 or the young hotshot Nomi.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Zekidk Exactly, so I think that supports this idea that EON trying something new with the franchise is gonna freak people out cause most audiences (as much as they might say that they don't) want something familiar. I just want people to keep an open mind. If you see the film, and you hate Nomi's character for valid reasons, then so be it, but hating on her character now when all have is a name and a possible role. Nothing more.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,185
    @Zekidk Exactly, so I think that supports this idea that EON trying something new with the franchise is gonna freak people out cause most audiences (as much as they might say that they don't) want something familiar. I just want people to keep an open mind. If you see the film, and you hate Nomi's character for valid reasons, then so be it, but hating on her character now when all have is a name and a possible role. Nothing more.

Without context none of these news matter. And since tabloids never provide any (thats their whole business strategy) we won't know what is trully going on until we see the film.
    This Nomi being 007 thing could be the most minor plot point, only used for a throwaway joke, or it could be a big Deal. We. don't. know. And even if it's a bigger deal there is still the question how it's implemented in the story and how the characters around her are dealing with it, how it's contextualized in the world.

It would be like leaking the 'sexist mysoginist' speech from Goldeneye before the movie came out and pretend that this is what the whole movie is about. You would have literally created the same controversy that we have right now.
    And why stop there, put on top that 'Serena Gordon' has been cast as a Bond girl to represent 'real' women that don't look like they come straight from a catwalk, hastag metoo at the end and you have a bondfan meltdown of epic proportions (i should work at a tabloid).

Of course in hindsight none of it matters because everyone got a chance to see it implemented in the final film and contextualized in a way that never made Bond look weak. He just keeps being Bond. Thats the context that is missing here. And now we have to talk for 7 month about this crap, welcome to the brave new Internet World.

You could have done that with half the films in the franchise. Just keep the context to yourself and trigger the s**t out of gullible fans:

MWTGG: Bond will hardly exercise his Licence To Kill in the new Bond film, and reportedly only kill once. this is thought to be a move by producers to make the series more kid friendly.

OHMSS: Bonds womanizing days are Over! Producers have decided to make Bond marry in the new film. This is believed by many to be an attempt to get more women into the franchise.

MR: The new Bond girl will not wear a Bikini, and will be mostly clothed in baggy clothing etc. In an attempt to make the films more female friendly...

LALD: Bond sleeps with a black girl. Diversity, inclusion, blah blah.. Same for AVTAK.

And don't get me started on the Dalton era, but i'm not a fan so i rather not talk about that.

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it. Only thing left to do is, as @4EverBonded suggested wisely, to get a life, and chillax :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I got an easy solution. Eon must have seen the online and general media reaction to this 'news'. Why not just rewrite Nomi's character and have her as 005 or some other 00. Bond returns to the service and his 007 code name is reinstated.

Problem solved. No controversy. No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians! ;) This is a Bond film - who cares about gender equality. If you want gender equality go watch another film.

Eon should scrap the female 007 angle from the plot. No big deal. Rewrites are common. Scrap female 007 and everyone (bar a few feminists that are just pretending to like the franchise but in reality don't give a hoot!) will be happy. Bond is 007. PERIOD. Don't waste your time trying to convince us 007 is someone else. He's not. He's Bond. =D>

What is meant by this? We've had loads of strong female agents in the franchise history. This is hardly a new idea which they just though of. Its a trope at this point. The only difference here is that it involves James Bonds moniker. And why wouldn't they be uncomfortable? As if anyone goes to the cinema specifically to see Bond not being 007. Imagine all those people going to see the previous 24 installments and being disappointed that Bond was 007 everytime. Again, make her 003 and 98% of fan outrage goes away instantly. That would make a more interesting story in my view, with M torn between who he can rely on most, the old cynical 007 or the young hotshot Nomi.
    No a female agent isn't a new idea, but a female agent who has taken over the codename of 007 after James Bond's retirement isn't exactly familiar territory? As for being uncomfortable, you think everyone just goes to see Bond films because he's 007? If you took away or changed the codename, he would still be the same character people wanna see.

It's branding, it's just an easy way for people to instantly remember James Bond, and that'll still be the case regardless of who holds the mantle, so for one film, why not have the mantle taken up by a new female character...

...and while the 003-angle could work, it's not exactly interesting or fresh enough and it creates nothing more than what making her 007 could do. Making her 007 introduces more conflict between characters, in which all stories need to move forward, creates a new dynamic between James Bond and the Bond girl, and makes a realistic statement about the world we live in today. If you quit your job tomorrow, it's probably a 50/50 chance your replacement is a woman.

Anyway, if you think about two 007's are probably better than one.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

No a female agent isn't a new idea, but a female agent who has taken over the codename of 007 after James Bond's retirement isn't exactly familiar territory? As for being uncomfortable, you think everyone just goes to see Bond films because he's 007? If you took away or changed the codename, he would still be the same character people wanna see.

It's branding, it's just an easy way for people to instantly remember James Bond, and that'll still be the case regardless of who holds the mantle, so for one film, why not have the mantle taken up by a new female character...

...and while the 003-angle could work, it's not exactly interesting or fresh enough and it creates nothing more than what making her 007 could do. Making her 007 introduces more conflict between characters, in which all stories need to move forward, creates a new dynamic between James Bond and the Bond girl, and makes a realistic statement about the world we live in today. If you quit your job tomorrow, it's probably a 50/50 chance your replacement is a woman.

How exactly does making her 007 create more conflict for the characters?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

In many different ways, but the obvious one is a retired James Bond meeting his replacement, and literally interacting with a strong agent who could be a representation of his life as 00.

I think it'll be interesting for them to butt heads maybe and then eventually find mutual respect for each-other through character development which is created through conflict. They may have the respect from the start, but we know Craig's Bond will definitely have fun bantering with the new 007.

As well as possible conflict between Nomi and the MI6 team, and you know if Blofeld meets her, he's gonna be all over that. Blofeld getting to meet the 007 who has replaced his worst enemy? He'll have a field day.

And obviously the conflict depends on her personality and what kind of person she is, not just her role as the new 007.

In many different ways but the obvious one is a retired James Bond, meeting his replacement, and literally having physical representation of his life as 00.

As well as possible conflict between Nomi and the MI6 team, and you know if Blofeld meets her, he's gonna be all over that. Blofeld getting to meet the 007 who has replaced his worst enemy? He'll have a field day.

And obviously the conflict depends on her personality and what kind of person she is, not just her role as the new 007.

And it shows the audience, without the need to say a word, that these two characters are on equal standing and are fighting over the same Position.

For example Nomi possibly taunting Bond that he's an old has been weights a lot more if she's 007, instead of her just being a random 00. Also we don't really know anything about other 00's in the Craig continuity, maybe they have completely different skillsets and assignments. That's what I always thought looking at the other 00's in TB and TWINE.

Maybe M made Nomi 007 because he thought she was the best, and that number was always associated with the best.

Again context is the key word here. Without it, all this blabbering on about is pointless. We don't have context and will probably not have it until the film comes out, or the Script leaks (god forbid)

I will take a break for a couple days as well, and see if i can Plan a Trip to Matera.
    tumblr_nzx7b6ztzf1rjjxbmo2_400.gif
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »

What does the caption say? Difficult to read the red text against the background.
    giphy.gif
    What does the caption say? Difficult to read the red text against the background.
    @Torgeirtrap
    "Today's a Day to be in nature. Hope you're out somewhere nice."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If the next Bond is as good as SP, I'll be be very happy. If it's as good as QOS I'll be ecstatic. I will judge the film by SEEING it, not speculating on it.
    @Torgeirtrap
    "Today's a Day to be in nature. Hope you're out somewhere nice."

Thanks!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Haha :)

I realize it's not Bond-related, but was a nice moment - like something from a classic Disney film.

I realize it's not Bond-related, but was a nice moment - like something from a classic Disney film.

It was exactly what this thread needed. ;)

It was exactly what this thread needed. ;)

Any thread is better with some Naomie Harris!
    Lashana looks pretty great in this picture...

lashana.jpg

She's also immensely charming and intelligent in interviews:

lashana.jpg

I don't think she's unattractive, but she isn't doing herself any favors with that triggered-feminist-haircut.

A slightly longer, Halle Berry type haircut would be ideal for her (and make her look 10 years younger.)
    gettyimages-950745872.jpg

I have a suspicion that she is a lesbian though, in which case i'm sure she couldn't care less about any of our opinions.[Edit: since everyone has lost their marbles nowadays i have to clarify: Me assuming her being lesbian has nothing to do with her hair, i've been following her for some time online, and people do speculate whether she is straight or gay, personally i don't have a problem with either]

She seems to be extremely private about her orientation, so IF she's lesbian, i don't think she would ever use it in a Film, but imagine her and Bond hitting on the same woman, lol.

lashana.jpg

I don't think she's unattractive, but she isn't doing herself any favors with that triggered-feminist-haircut.

A slightly longer, Halle Berry type haircut would be ideal for her (and make her look 10 years younger.)

I have a suspicion that she is a lesbian though, in which case i'm sure she couldn't care less about any of our opinions.

She seems to be extremely private about her orientation, so IF she's lesbian, i don't think she would ever use it in a Film, but imagine her and Bond hitting on the same woman, lol.

I don't think it's a 'feminist haircut'. It's her natural hair. Afro hair can be difficult to style for women. You can relax it or have a weave put it. You can even wear wigs. When you see Halle Berry, Beyonce or Meghan Markle they have done something similar.

Lashana has simply decided to go with her natural hair. It's less high-maintenance for her to maintain and it looks great on her. There's nothing 'feminist' or queer about it. It's just the way her hair grows.

EBfTOx0UIAUmZJs?format=jpg&name=large

lashana.jpg

I have a suspicion that she is a lesbian though, in which case i'm sure she couldn't care less about any of our opinions.

I don't think it's a 'feminist haircut'. It's her natural hair. Afro hair can be difficult to style for women. You can relax it or have a weave put it. You can even wear wigs. When you see Halle Berry, Beyonce or Meghan Markle they have done something similar.

Lashana has simply decided to go with her natural hair. It's less high-maintenance for her to maintain and it looks great on her. There's nothing 'feminist' or queer about it. It's just the way her hair grows.

EBfTOx0UIAUmZJs?format=jpg&name=large

I'm not talking about the style of her hair but the lenght of it.

This would be a great haircut for her as well:
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjIvOTk2L2kwMi9sYXNoYW5hX2x5bmNoLmpwZw==

And I haven't said that i think she is lesbian because of her haircut. It's just a suspicion i have based on what i've seen of her (tons of interviews, Captain Mavel, behind the scenes stuff). So it could be complete BS, i'm not all knowing. Personally i couldn't care less if it's not reflected in her B25 role, and as far as i remember we never had an (openly) lesbian character(?) so i don't think that will change now. But this is probably not a good place to discuss any of this.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    This would be a great haircut for her as well:
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjIvOTk2L2kwMi9sYXNoYW5hX2x5bmNoLmpwZw==

This is much better, imo. Very cool.