Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• Paloma is yet to be seen, Madeline on the other hand, as much as like Lea her character doesn't seem feminine at all. Showing skin or their appearance and not being in action doesn't make someone feminine, it's their attitude that has changed drastically. Most of the feminine actresses from Craig era were from supporting roles: Solange- Miss fields- Severine- Lucia- Paloma. Lead actresses: Vesper- Camille- M- Madeline- Nomi. It's easy to notice a pattern.

Can you elaborate more on that? I don't think Nomi counts as a lead actress, as Madeleine is clearly filling that role in NTTD.

I wouldn't want to see "elaborating" on that position as much as "justifying" it. M clearly wasn't INTENDED as a traditional Bond girl, Vesper and Madeline are considered to be quite attractive by many fans, etc. The Bond films have always changed with the times. That's one of their great strengths. If you need the Bond films to have more "feminine" airheads in them, you'll need to set your Wayback machine to 1985 or so...
    In what way are Vesper and Madeline not feminine?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah I'm puzzled by that. Is it that they talk back to Bond or something?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Paloma is yet to be seen, Madeline on the other hand, as much as like Lea her character doesn't seem feminine at all. Showing skin or their appearance and not being in action doesn't make someone feminine, it's their attitude that has changed drastically. Most of the feminine actresses from Craig era were from supporting roles: Solange- Miss fields- Severine- Lucia- Paloma. Lead actresses: Vesper- Camille- M- Madeline- Nomi. It's easy to notice a pattern.

Can you elaborate more on that? I don't think Nomi counts as a lead actress, as Madeleine is clearly filling that role in NTTD.

First female 00 agent who is suspected to be playing 007 isn't a lead?
    Paloma is yet to be seen, Madeline on the other hand, as much as like Lea her character doesn't seem feminine at all. Showing skin or their appearance and not being in action doesn't make someone feminine, it's their attitude that has changed drastically. Most of the feminine actresses from Craig era were from supporting roles: Solange- Miss fields- Severine- Lucia- Paloma. Lead actresses: Vesper- Camille- M- Madeline- Nomi. It's easy to notice a pattern.

I wouldn't want to see "elaborating" on that position as much as "justifying" it. M clearly wasn't INTENDED as a traditional Bond girl, Vesper and Madeline are considered to be quite attractive by many fans, etc. The Bond films have always changed with the times. That's one of their great strengths. If you need the Bond films to have more "feminine" airheads in them, you'll need to set your Wayback machine to 1985 or so...

If you need justification atleast try to quote me directly.
    M clearly wasn't intended as a traditional bond girl sure, but she wasn't exactly a traditional M as well. She would still be counted as main lead actress of SF or Craig Era. Funny that you say that bond films have change with time as till SF almost every single actress have died in the series and till DAD almost every film ended with a kiss, coincidence? SF was the first film were M was in lead, coincidence? NTTD might have a first female 007, another funny coincidence. I am sure all this coincidence has nothing to do with today's times. If you want to see arrogant women pretending to be confident, go ahead but you don't have any right to tell others what they should prefer.
    Yeah I'm puzzled by that. Is it that they talk back to Bond or something?

Talk back? I am going to quote bond from CR which explains it better :
    "This one overcompensates by wearing slightly masculine clothing, being more aggressive than her female colleagues, which gives her a somewhat prickly demeanour and ironically enough, makes it less likely her to be accepted and promoted by her male superiors who mistakes her insecurities for arrogance".
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Madeleine is the leading Bond girl of the film. Nomi is not. Plus, Fukunaga said exploring her character is one of the main things that interested him. Lynch will play the most important supporting character but is not a leading one. Swann is the heart of the film, her past, her secret, her connection with both the villain and Bond makes her the leading woman of the film.

First female 00 agent who is suspected to be playing 007 isn't a lead?

Léa Seydoux is the top billed actress of the cast. That pretty much says she's the leading actress of the film.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,541
    So more money being paid makes her a lead. Maybe, but we haven't seen the film yet. But of the two actresses lashana has gathered more attention from media and general audience till now, we have yet to see if that perception of general audience might change after watching the film. Most people i know or seen are more interested or talking about our first female 007 rather than Madeline, despite a lot of people claiming her being a lead. Another point to consider, Nomi might have more screen time than Madeline, i could be wrong but it's just a guess.
    So more money being paid makes her a lead. Maybe, but we haven't seen the film yet. But of the two actresses lashana has gathered from attention from media and general audience till now, we have yet to see if that perception of general audience might change after watching the film. Most people i know or seen are more interested or talking about our first female 007 rather than Madeline, despite a lot of people claiming her being a lead. Another point to consider, Nomi might have more screen time than Madeline, i could be wrong but it's just a guess.

Nomi gets more attention because she's a brand new character, so there's a lot more to speculate about her whereas with Madeleine she's already an established returning character, the first leading woman to play that role in a consecutive film. There's nothing in the marketing to suggest she's NOT the leading actress.
    So more money being paid makes her a lead. Maybe, but we haven't seen the film yet. But of the two actresses lashana has gathered from attention from media and general audience till now, we have yet to see if that perception of general audience might change after watching the film. Most people i know or seen are more interested or talking about our first female 007 rather than Madeline, despite a lot of people claiming her being a lead. Another point to consider, Nomi might have more screen time than Madeline, i could be wrong but it's just a guess.

Nomi gets more attention because she's a brand new character, so there's a lot more to speculate about her whereas with Madeleine she's already an established returning character, the first leading woman to play that role in a consecutive film. There's nothing in the marketing to suggest she's NOT the leading actress.

Madeline was the brand new character in SP, i highly doubt she gathered this much attention the last time before the film's release. Still i believe you , buddy.
    tenor.gif
    Don't want to stretch this argument too much as i usually don't like to comment before watching the film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, Seydoux is definitely the leading actress here.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Each to their own, but I find women talking back at Bond funny. Doesn't make them any less feminine.

I'm really not seeing the issue here.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Seydoux is credited on the final poster ahead of Lynch, so deffo is the lead female.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Mallory wrote: »

Seydoux is credited on the final poster ahead of Lynch, so deffo is the lead female.
    Also has emotional stakes in the movie's narrative as opposed to Nomi - although both will be great I think :)
    I have no problem with women talking back to Bond or even '' strong female characters ''.TSWLM is my favourite Bond film and Anya Amasova was a great Bond girl who was a match for 007.What made women like that speical back in the day was that they were rare.

These days however,it seems ALL women have to be portrayed as badasses and its a big no no to have them play anyone who is even slightly weak.Its also tiresome when the female cast of NTTD talk about how '' THIS MOVIES PLOT IS DRIVEN BY FOUR STRONG INDEPENDANT WOMEN!!! '' as if they are breaking new ground or something.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,834
    It's the business I'm afraid @AstonLotus, while quotes like that may not appeal to a lot of people, and be seen as a marketing gimmick, at the same time, it boldly gets the message across to those they may have not been interested otherwise, and also while it may seem like they're not breaking new ground, I do think what they've done with these female characters (from what we've seen) has done something for a lot of people.

A few people I think will actually see this film just because of them. Lynch being a fan favourite in Captain Marvel, and Ana de Armas just being a fan favourite in general. Seydoux and Harris have a smaller fan base but still present in people I know.

They've definitely stepped up the Bond girls this time round. The tradition used to be one survives, one dead and one who probably will say one line, even in the Craig-era we've had that, so I think it's great to see that they've grabbed the bull by its horns with this one, and offered us three Bond girls in one film that all seem to play a vital role.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Last time I checked, didn't most people think de Armas would only have a minor role?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Last time I checked, didn't most people think de Armas would only have a minor role?
    When she was cast I think most people thought she was going to be like Severine, but then the trailers proved them wrong with that dual wield haha :D
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »
    When she was cast I think most people thought she was going to be like Severine, but then the trailers proved them wrong with that dual wield haha :D
    IIRC a few people on this forum noted that she was in the same location and wearing the same clothes in all shots of her.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    IIRC a few people on this forum noted that she was in the same location and wearing the same clothes in all shots of her.
    I mean whose to know what's been filmed with de Armas, but I think it's safe to say her role will be reduced to Cuba.
    It's the business I'm afraid @AstonLotus, while quotes like that may not appeal to a lot of people, and be seen as a marketing gimmick, at the same time, it boldly gets the message across to those they may have not been interested otherwise, and also while it may seem like they're not breaking new ground, I do think what they've done with these female characters (from what we've seen) has done something for a lot of people.

A few people I think will actually see this film just because of them. Lynch being a fan favourite in Captain Marvel, and Ana de Armas just being a fan favourite in general. Seydoux and Harris have a smaller fan base but still present in people I know.

They've definitely stepped up the Bond girls this time round. The tradition used to be one survives, one dead and one who probably will say one line, even in the Craig-era we've had that, so I think it's great to see that they've grabbed the bull by its horns with this one, and offered us three Bond girls in one film that all seem to play a vital role.

@Denbigh I think what i am missing the most is women from different professions(we had bond girls as pilot, astronauts, computer programmer etc. doing actual work) other than being a spy or in action, vesper as an accountant and Madeline being a psychologist are the only one's we have seen in this era. It would be great if Madeline interact as a psychologist with Blofeld as we have seen in trailers, she was at mi6. Hope you get what i am saying by "doing actual work which contributes to the story".
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

@Denbigh I think what i am missing the most is women from different professions(we had bond girls as pilot, astronauts, computer programmer etc. doing actual work) other than being a spy or in action, vesper as an accountant and Madeline being a psychologist are the only one's we have seen in this era. It would be great if Madeline interact as a psychologist with Blofeld as we have seen in trailers, she was at mi6. Hope you get what i am saying by "doing actual work which contributes to the story".
    I think we will get some of that, although I have a feeling it'll only be a small aspect as they probably will focus more on Bond's interactions with Blofeld, but hopefully Madeleine's skills can be of use. I do think there were so many things they could've done with that in Spectre. And yes, varied careers would be great. I think the problem in James Bond stories is that you don't to throw a career in for the sake of it. It needs to make sense, so the Vesper was way more natural, as well as the other agents we meet. Hopefully in Bond 26 you'll get your wish :)
    I remember hating it in Quantum Of Solace, when Camille was suddenly Bolivian Secret Service for no reason. It kind of undercut the personal angle for me a bit. It wasn't exactly like she seemed to have many connections.

Although the biggest crime of the Craig-era is not having a proper femme-fatale. I'll never forgive.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

I think we will get some of that, although I have a feeling it'll only be a small aspect as they probably will focus more on Bond's interactions with Blofeld, but hopefully Madeleine's skills can be of use. I do think there were so many things they could've done with that in Spectre. And yes, varied careers would be great. I think the problem in James Bond stories is that you don't to throw a career in for the sake of it. It needs to make sense, so the Vesper was way more natural, as well as the other agents we meet. Hopefully in Bond 26 you'll get your wish :)
    I remember hating it in Quantum Of Solace, when Camille was suddenly Bolivian Secret Service for no reason. It kind of undercut the personal angle for me a bit. It wasn't exactly like she seemed to have many connections.

Although the biggest crime of the Craig-era is not having a proper femme-fatale. I'll never forgive.

Was there a need for that in this storyline?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Was there a need for that in this storyline?
    A need for Madeleine's skills as a psychologist?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    At least we'll get a Spectre henchwoman with Eliot Sumner, another addition to this thread.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    And yes, varied careers would be great.

I'm holding out for a nuclear physicist. I hear they come more than once a year. ;)
    Exactly @Denbigh femme-fatale would have made it better. The only one we got was le chriffe's GF, even she didn't do much in it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What if........during lockdown (aside from worrying about the financial woes of NTTD) that Eon were secretly working on a Nomi film? Something of a smaller scale - perhaps London and Europe based - with Lashana Lynch leading? The Some Kind of Hero book already explained that the intention behind Jinx was to make a gritty spy film. They also wanted to make a Wai Lin spin-off which would have been a martial acts espionage film.....so many leather catsuits

wai-lin-jinx-bond-girls-2009712.jpg?r=1565877460742

If Nomi were to return, you could have the rest of the MI6 team return for the film. Which would be a huge attraction as I'd love to see those guys return.

What do we think? It could never be a Netflix or Apple film...Also, Micheala Coel is having a wave of success currently. Not too dissimilar to PWB before she was bought into Bond. I could imagine Coel and Lynch working on the script.

If I was Lashana Lynch, I'd be pursuing this heavily. The Nokia advert (directed by Amma Asante, no less) is basically a pitch for the job.

Hero-Shot.jpg?w=1200&h=800&imflag=true

I think it could be cool: there’s something about the way they appear to be handling Nomi that I think could be quite exciting and give us a new kind of female character in a Bond. I love that shot of her stood next to Swann in the hallway where she’s exuding a confidence we don’t often see.
    But a spin-off.. well they’d need to see if she works with audiences first, and to be honest I don’t think there’s much room for a Bond spin-off. But hey, it’s a new world. Maybe a glossy Netflix series or something. I could dig that potentially. I like spy stuff.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think also perhaps it might be time not to treat women as sex objects. We’ve got supporting characters like M, Q, Tanner etc all played by fairly ordinary looking guys (well, they’re not ugly at all but not male models) whereas every female role is filled by some sexpot doing photo shoots in loads of magazines. Why can’t we have a few less extraordinary females if we have some ordinary males in it?
    mtm wrote: »

I think also perhaps it might be time not to treat women as sex objects. We’ve got supporting characters like M, Q, Tanner etc all played by fairly ordinary looking guys (well, they’re not ugly at all but not male models) whereas every female role is filled by some sexpot doing photo shoots in loads of magazines. Why can’t we have a few less extraordinary females if we have some ordinary males in it?

To be honest i have no problem having good looking M, Q, Tanner as well, let ladies have some fun as well ;)
    My GF Find Ralph Fiennes really hot(at least when he was younger), Can't say much about Q or Tanner.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

To be honest i have no problem having good looking M, Q, Tanner as well, let ladies have some fun as well ;)
    My GF Find Ralph Fiennes really hot(at least when he was younger), Can't say much about Q or Tanner.

That’s kind of getting what I’m saying the wrong way around! :)