Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,185
    mtm wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    Is it just me who can see the joke, then? :)
    And apparently I'm the one 'cherry-picking' :D

So what is the actual claim here? That Bond doesn't harass women in any way, that he has a totally professional relationship with his colleagues and never tries it on with them, and that he has a very cool disinterest in sex? James Bond. What are we actually arguing?

Apparently shagging and having sex with a colleague is equal to harrasment.

Seeking to have sex with all non-elderly female colleagues is on the edge of harassment, yeah.

But where did he ever do that?
    Where did he ever hit on a colleague from work? Except for Moneypenny, and even then i always found it to be more of a game between the two.

We did this on the previous page where I asked you "Can you think of a female colleague under the age of 70 CraigBond doesn't attempt to shag?"
    Moneypenny, Fields, Vesper (not quite an MI6 colleague but certainly on a mission with him and working for the British Government).

When did he ever have a colleague he didn't hit on? :)

Fields and Vesper were not from "his office" though, and he would have likely never seen them again, after that mission. Moneypenny wasn't really Moneypenny yet when they were in the Macao Hotel room (if we stick with CraigBond) so there is a loophole there... It's up to personal interpretation though. If you wanna see him as sex obsessed, go ahead, i am not going to stop you.

I think there is a bit more nuance here, he does like to flirt (and i don't see a problem with that), but i think if it were a woman that actually works in his office day in and out, he would immediately stop seriously pursuing her. He got pretty disinterested in MP after she became M's personal assistant.

Remember what he said to Solange:

"You like married women,
    don't you, James?"

"It keeps things simple."

And simple is how he likes it, meaning he can disappear without a trace whenever he needs to.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,935
    Is it just me who can see the joke, then? :)
    And apparently I'm the one 'cherry-picking' :D

So what is the actual claim here? That Bond doesn't harass women in any way, that he has a totally professional relationship with his colleagues and never tries it on with them, and that he has a very cool disinterest in sex? James Bond. What are we actually arguing?

Apparently shagging and having sex with a colleague is equal to harrasment.

Seeking to have sex with all non-elderly female colleagues is on the edge of harassment, yeah.

But where did he ever do that?
    Where did he ever hit on a colleague from work? Except for Moneypenny, and even then i always found it to be more of a game between the two.

We did this on the previous page where I asked you "Can you think of a female colleague under the age of 70 CraigBond doesn't attempt to shag?"
    Moneypenny, Fields, Vesper (not quite an MI6 colleague but certainly on a mission with him and working for the British Government).

When did he ever have a colleague he didn't hit on? :)

Fields and Vesper were not from "his office" though,

Where are you quoting "his office" from? That's oddly specific and I don't think anyone has used those words..? They're all work colleagues.
    Moneypenny wasn't really Moneypenny yet when they were in the Macao Hotel room (if we stick with CraigBond) so there is a loophole there...

I don't really understand this...? She was the same character all the way through. You're kind of scrabbling for loopholes where there aren't any, and a 'loophole' is nothing but a dodge, a way to cheat the truth, so I think you're kind of admitting you know it's true.

I think there is a bit more nuance here, he does like to flirt (and i don't see a problem with that), but i think if it were a woman that actually works in his office day in and out, he would immediately stop to pursue her. He got pretty disinterested in MP after she became M's personal assistant.

He's already asking her to consider working in the office before she visits his hotel room in Shanghai. They actually discuss Mallory just before he tries it on. Even by the next film he's taking an interest in who she's seeing and offering her a drink in his flat. No, those aren't quite as full-on as his flirtation with her in Skyfall, but by then he knows it's not on the cards. But that still doesn't stop him completely!

So, when you ask 'when did ever hit on work colleagues?', the answer is 'every single time' :)
    Or, as you didn't answer it last time: When did he ever have a colleague he didn't hit on?

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSokZfQmmsuafeBeUQv2nhLeTjz7JMjkv_xx5z7AaLhvgCqA7P_
    I came across an old Friend of mine whom i used to work with, he married a girl who was our colleague, before that he also dated two women in the same office. But funny thing we never came across any complain for sexual harrasment, even my HR manager and most of the staff knew about him being involved with multiple women. We knew what they do in their private life is none of our buisness, even they knew that it's not harassment if both parties have each other's consent. That being said i never once heard any women there complain about being a little flirty in the office, they actually have fun with it. Most of the times it's the white knights who are looking for attention from women keep nagging about men's gaze & behavior towards women . If women were to object on that behavior we would have taken that seriously.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSP3CAmQstbbpXEqZY_1_cvyPZoMkK62a9MsN8VFntrp56gRmLp
    Now i do acknowledge the fact that sexual harrasment at work place is quite a serious matter, both men and women have been victims of that but blowing things out of proportion actually gets in the way of resolving real issues of actual Victims. One important thing to note here is bond never actually had sex or shown on screen having sex with moneypenny, although i am not saying it as an accomplishment but it clearly shows that she is the only female friend whom he never had sex with and i doubt he ever will. I can't agree that he is an harasser at work place to be honest.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQcSpOhX_CAUVTrxSNDaAQEe7jfgdJDRbM0-M1cyLkh4T3FXked
    Even in GoldenEye:
    Bond: Moneypenny, I’m devastated. What would I ever do without you?
    Moneypenny: As far as I can remember, James, you’ve never had me.
    Bond: Hope springs eternal.
    Moneypenny: This sort of behaviour could qualify as sexual harassment.
    Bond: Really? What’s the penalty for that?
    Moneypenny: Someday you have to make good on your innuendos.
    Here moneypenny was herself engaging with bond at work place, flirting here goes both ways imo.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSAoDiWCcCWA9AxZO3lbeuE22_U-iuznvLOqJHTYTvKMqiLqs5h
    Now Imagine if bond were to file a suit for sexual harassment against moneypenny- "I have been shot at, had lasers pointed at my testicles, had a large man with steel teeth try to kill me yet all Miss Moneypenny cares about is when James Bond will take me out to dinner".
    Did anyone ever complain when moneypenny engage in flirtation with bond? Did anyone accuse her when she uses those glasses of Q at work place in DAD? I doubt it.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRK5UWiIhr-Ds3xLpRQ_Nfg3Ot2hR8z9KWngrTjK0G7EGgF2E3Y
    It's pointless to compare bond's behavior with real life scenario because if we start comparing everything like that then i doubt someone like Nomi can actually kick bond's arse or be fit to take 007's mantle , as she lacks the same upper body strength as bond/men(sorry if any feels bad about it but can't ignore biological facts) . But you won't see me opposing to the idea of her being 007 because i know it's just for entertainment.
    Hope we can move forward now , i rest my case here :)
    @Resurrection

file-20171204-22967-1fcjys9.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=754&fit=clip

Bond is a walking HR nightmare!

Under the Equality Act 2010 to demonstrate you have been discriminated against at work you need show evidence that you have a 'protected characteristic' and that you were subjected to 'prohibited conduct'.

Now in Moneypenny's case, she would rely on:

1.) Protected characteristic: Her sex
    2.) Protected characteristic: Harassment and/or sexual harassment

For harassment, Moneypenny would need to show that Bond engaged in unwanted conduct that has the purpose or effect of violating her dignity, creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her.

There is no defence available to Bond. However, he can present evidence that the statutory test wasn't made out. I.e; he would need to show that Moneypenny's dignity was not violated nor was her environment hostile. Essentially, it was 'office banter' and she had no problem with it and, in actual fact, actively engaged. You'd hope Bond kept flirty emails or text messages from Moneypenny. Perhaps he can get Tanner to speak out about Moneypenny's behaviour.

Then you have the allegation of sexual harrassment. Here, the statute requires Bond to have engaged Moneypenny in unwanted conduct of a sexual nature. Once again, there is AMPLE evidence against Bond here!

But he would need to show the attention he gave Monepyney was not 'unwanted' and that it didn't violate her dignity. Once again, difficult to prove and her allegations will be in a very well articulated grounds of claim.

Then you have MI6 - they will be vicariously liable for Bond's dodgy flirting. So Moneypenny will name Bond and MI6 as respondents and claim she has been constructively dismissed. This means MI6 have a PR nightmare when their top agent gets accused in the Daily Mail of being a 'pervert.'

Therefore.......MI6 have no choice but to give Moneypenny a juicy settlement and performance manage/or dismiss Bond.

maxresdefault.jpg
    I think MI6 would have a PR nightmare on their hands if their Top Agent is known by name in each and every tabloid around the country (and world) no matter what he did. :D

As for the harassment claim, it seems to be all up to Moneypenny how far she wants to take this, and i don't think either she nor Bond would let it blow up that much, they both enjoy it too much.
    I think MI6 would have a PR nightmare on their hands if their Top Agent is known by name in each and every tabloid around the country (and world) no matter what he did. :D

As for the harassment claim, it seems to be all up to Moneypenny how far she wants to take this, and i don't think either she nor Bond would let it blow up that much, they both enjoy it too much.

Let's hope that MI6 don't undercut her someway - or Bond does something beyond the pale. If she did ever find herself in financial dire straits, there is A LOT of ammunition she could use to enrich herself.

tumblr_p4yzr3idHs1qa3x03o3_500.gifv

Though her biggest issue is time. She has 3 months since the last act of discrimination to bring a claim (subject to the Acas early conciliation process). The last act of 'harassment' we know of was in November 2015. So Moneypeny is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of time. So Bond can breathe a sigh of relief.

Let's hope that MI6 don't undercut her someway - or Bond does something beyond the pale. If she did ever find herself in financial dire straits, there is A LOT of ammunition she could use to enrich herself.

Though her biggest issue is time. She has 3 months since the last act of discrimination to bring a claim (subject to the Acas early conciliation process). The last act of 'harassment' we know of was in November 2015. So Moneypeny is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of time. So Bond can breathe a sigh of relief.

7e484ca1-8e81-40bc-9d37-ece93af67cf9_text_hi.gif
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    I have said it many times that it's a male fantasy film. People who actually claim about Equality act don't have any idea how unfair it is to men. How many men have been falsely accused & screwed in court and couldn't do much about it as law mostly favor women over men.

Please let's move on to NTTD , two women which may or may not appear or play an important part in the film.
    kcqcqr6t0me41.jpg
    Ralph M was starring at Judi's M painting or it was just shown in the trailer like that. Either way there was something odd about that shot. A cameo from Judi?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQf4WVv2HePKtsYHarfQCppBk4OODTJyfOcJBwbsFkZMh2O8jEQ
    Vesper's grave and bond confronting with it. May be Madeline suggested it but how much her role will be in the film. One big question is how the hell someone knew bond will be there and set the explosives in the graveyard way before, did Madeline really betrayed bond ?
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQFjOuMah_zkPUjECsaCMjxrSXmPpUtWGKPPfgwMi14PAtxga4Y
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I have said it many times that it's a male fantasy film.

Well you were pretty keen on the exact real-word definition of the word 'obsessed'; it's a fantasy now?
    People who actually claim about Equality act don't have any idea how unfair it is to men. How many men have been falsely accused & screwed in court and couldn't do much about it as law mostly favor women over men.

Okaaay... just to check: you called me a bigot? :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,935

On a bit of a side-note, I did always think that scene just never quite worked. It's supposed to be playful but it actually turns rather spiky and nasty, and I don't think anyone involved even meant it to. Brosnan ends it looking really rather pissed off and, well it just doesn't quite work. The Skyfall version is actually way better: both scenes put the power in Moneypenny's hands but only the GE one leaves a bitter taste.

On a bit of a side-note, I did always think that scene just never quite worked. It's supposed to be playful but it actually turns rather spiky and nasty, and I don't think anyone involved even meant it to. Brosnan ends it looking really rather pissed off and, well it just doesn't quite work. The Skyfall version is actually way better: both scenes put the power in Moneypenny's hands but only the GE one leaves a bitter taste.

Disagree 100%

I love this scene. Firstly, it's a glorious steadicam shot. Secondly, it's a brilliant update on the classic Moneypenny/Bond flirtation scene but with a great self-aware update.

It's a genius piece of writing.

If anything, the biggest let-down is that Moneypenny lets Bond off so easy.

Disagree 100%

I love this scene. Firstly, it's a glorious steadicam shot. Secondly, it's a brilliant update on the classic Moneypenny/Bond flirtation scene but with a great self-aware update.

It's a genius piece of writing.

If anything, the biggest let-down is that Moneypenny lets Bond off so easy.

+1, nothing is wrong in that scene, it's playful, flirty and i like it. Although it wasn't actually a let down but their flirtation should be subtle.
    I like that scene very much too. The best "update" to a Metoo, 21st century Bond (if you must go there) and i dare NTTD to come up with anything better, or more original.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, I always liked it too! The later scenes with Bond and Moneypenny in the Brosnan era left little to the imagination and their flirting was a bit too infantile, but I think that GoldenEye scene has a great balance.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    For some reason, this feels appropriate:

;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Is that a cut scene from Die Another Day?

;)
    New Lashana Lynch photos from Glass magazine.

EUCn2BGU8AAHDEX?format=jpg&name=large
    EUCn3EWUEAIAJZJ?format=jpg&name=large
    ET9bez7WAAAdv9r?format=jpg&name=900x900
    ET9bez7XgAEi6Hq?format=jpg&name=900x900
    I love what Lea says here about not liking political correctness and that Bond is actually the one being objectified.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bond-star-lea-seydoux-claims-160412406.html

Maybe there's hope for this film not being a woke crapfest.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Only fragile MRAs thought it would be a feminist/SJW/woke propaganda film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That's quite a refreshing thing to hear, if only in the context of the narratives being spun around the films rather than the films themselves.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    I love what Lea says here about not liking political correctness and that Bond is actually the one being objectified.

Daniel Craig has been more than happy to sexualise himself playing James Bond since CR.....the 'Bond girl' is dead and the 'Bond boy' is alive and well

6197c37ef1f5ae0edb8003eed221f06f180708c9.gif

I think it goes both ways. People go to see Bond films for 'escapism.' Part of that escapism is seeing beautiful people - men and women - cavorting around for our entertainment.

Maybe with so many Woke movie flops in the last few months ( Charlies Angels,Terminator:Dark Fate,) hollywood is finally getting the message that if you go woke,you go broke!
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Maybe with so many Woke movie flops in the last few months ( Charlies Angels,Terminator:Dark Fate,) hollywood is finally getting the message that if you go woke,you go broke!

Except it’s worked out fine for other franchises accused of going “woke” like Star Wars, Star Trek, Captain Marvel, Alita, etc. Besides, the Charlie’s Angels and Terminator franchises have been in terminal condition for many years, so their issues were already set in before “woke” was a thing.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Yeah But Star wars, Star trek are ruined in terms of box office at the moment. The last star wars film even earned lesser than jedi, barely touched a billion. Captain Marvel was a hit because of Of Marvel name and the fact that it was released before Endgame, people wanted to see what's going to happen before that. Alita is the only hit I actually liked.
    Yeah But Star wars, Star trek are ruined in terms of box office at the moment.

I was referring to the recent Trek shows (Discovery and Picard) that have been very successful despite cries of “woke” from a vocal fan group. And this is was all after BEYOND underperformed.
    The last star wars film even earned lesser than jedi, barely touched a billion.

Making a billion at all is still impressive. I’m sure the studios behind Terminator and Charlie’s Angels wish they “barely” touched a billion.
    Captain Marvel was a hit because of Of Marvel name and the fact that it was released before Endgame, people wanted to see what's going to happen before that.

I’ve seen detractors use that argument, but I don’t think that’s very convincing. If the marvel brand was all that it took to make it such a giant hit, then ANT-MAN AND THE WASP would have made a billion dollars as well.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,564

I was referring to the recent Trek shows (Discovery and Picard) that have been very successful despite cries of “woke” from a vocal fan group. And this is was all after BEYOND underperformed.

Making a billion at all is still impressive. I’m sure the studios behind Terminator and Charlie’s Angels wish they “barely” touched a billion.
    Captain Marvel was a hit because of Of Marvel name and the fact that it was released before Endgame, people wanted to see what's going to happen before that.

I’ve seen detractors use that argument, but I don’t think that’s very convincing. If the marvel brand was all that it took to make it such a giant hit, then ANT-MAN AND THE WASP would have made a billion dollars as well.

Seems to me that Black Panther was kinda "woke" (whatever THAT means!) and it did pretty well in terms of both box office and critical reception. If you ask me, this is sort of a bogus argument. A good movie will find its audience, a bad movie will get the people staying away in droves. In most cases, the audience is fairly well apolitical -- they just want to see a good movie and a movie isn't necessarily good or bad just because it hits a particular political button. Sorry if that viewpoint doesn't conform to anybody's agenda...

Oh and BTW, if you have to argue that BARELY reaching a billion dollars in ticket sales means that your movie was a failure, you really need to re-calibrate your sensors.

Seems to me that Black Panther was kinda "woke" (whatever THAT means!) and it did pretty well in terms of both box office and critical reception. If you ask me, this is sort of a bogus argument. A good movie will find its audience, a bad movie will get the people staying away in droves. In most cases, the audience is fairly well apolitical -- they just want to see a good movie and a movie isn't necessarily good or bad just because it hits a particular political button. Sorry if that viewpoint doesn't conform to anybody's agenda...

8ae.gif
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    I was actually responding to box office success and I said the only one i actually liked was alita. Neither black panther nor captain marvel, call it agenda, detractor or whatever you want, the film was still bad for me, I would say the same thing about fast & furious franchise(only like fast 5) , it's not about being woke or anything . We will find out about captain marvel when they made a sequel, her character is really annoying to be honest.

I watch film's for entertainment not political correctness. This is why box office & quality of these films are getting lower by each film. Making strong female characters is fine but not by belittling men, most of the feminists are doing the opposite.

I always knew that Léa was the smartest of the bunch, that's why i'm glad that she's 'the one'.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

I always knew that Léa was the smartest of the bunch, that's why i'm glad that she's 'the one'.

+1. Without mentioning she’s also the most talented since Green (well, except dame Judi but that’s another story).