No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Like Mulan, if WW84 fail his streaming system is also cause this one is poorly thought. I'm in France, and WW84 is no aviable on streaming by now (neither in french cinema who are closes), or at least I should say "no legaly aviable". French spectators had to wait december for see Mulan on Disney+ but they (and you can't really blame them) don't : they choose illegal streaming/download site who offers it (french dubbed) in september.

All that to say, you can't be surprised if this streaming strategy isn't lucrative enough when you have to wait 3 or 4 months (thanks for French stupids laws btw) to have the possibily to watch legaly a movie that is already watchable since 3 months in other no-officials/illegals sites...

Yes I don't know how you see it in the UK either. I'm not interested enough in the movie to seek it out of course(!) but I haven't seen it flash up on any of the streaming services (so no chance of an impulse buy) I use or indeed actually advertised.
    mtm wrote: »
    Like Mulan, if WW84 fail his streaming system is also cause this one is poorly thought. I'm in France, and WW84 is no aviable on streaming by now (neither in french cinema who are closes), or at least I should say "no legaly aviable". French spectators had to wait december for see Mulan on Disney+ but they (and you can't really blame them) don't : they choose illegal streaming/download site who offers it (french dubbed) in september.

All that to say, you can't be surprised if this streaming strategy isn't lucrative enough when you have to wait 3 or 4 months (thanks for French stupids laws btw) to have the possibily to watch legaly a movie that is already watchable since 3 months in other no-officials/illegals sites...

Yes I don't know how you see it in the UK either. I'm not interested enough in the movie to seek it out of course(!) but I haven't seen it flash up on any of the streaming services (so no chance of an impulse buy) I use or indeed actually advertised.

It's going to be available on Premium VOD on Wednesday.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh weird, that seems a bit delayed. On all VOD services?
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,164
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh weird, that seems a bit delayed. On all VOD services?

Correct - iTunes, Google and the like for £15.99 (or thereabouts) 48-hr rentals. There were negotiations for Sky to take it as a SVOD exclusive (available at no extra charge for Sky Cinema subscribers on Sky or NOW TV) but they didn't pan out so they've gone PVOD. Canada is the only other country outside the US that's released the film at the home, they did a day and date release on Christmas Day like the US, but also PVOD rentals.

As for the delay - a month is what WB managed to get the big UK cinema chains (Odeon, Vue) to agree to. Usually the exclusivity window they require is 16 weeks. Worth noting that this deal was agreed in early Dec, before not only London's big plunge into Tier 3 and where we are now, but also before (and likely with no knowledge of) the big HBO Max announcement with the 2021 films.
    Wonder woman 84 will struggle to break 200 million worldwide.
    That's a wild figure, considering how much the movie sucked!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Wonder woman 84 will struggle to break 200 million worldwide.
    That's a wild figure, considering how much the movie sucked!

There is no correlation between box office success and quality of said product.
    Yes, but if it had been hovering at 7,5 on IMDB instead of 5,5, rest assure more people - not less - would see it.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I don't follow this stuff super closely, but the three films I can recall as having been considered as the test balloons for blockbusters in Covid times - Tenet, Mulan and WW84 - have all been met with middling to straight up bad reviews. Assuming NTTD is really good (who knows), then we don't have a comparison for that yet. At least in my bubble, there hasn't been any movie where people said: Man, you have to see this.

Or - and I've seen this pop up here and there - the viewing experience at home is so different, especially for this time of bombastic movie, that it just doesn't work and you will never get great reviews for these films.

Anyway, it looks like the next delay will be announced quite soon, so we can all go back to hibernating...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't follow this stuff super closely, but the three films I can recall as having been considered as the test balloons for blockbusters in Covid times - Tenet, Mulan and WW84 - have all been met with middling to straight up bad reviews.

That is a good point: we actually haven't had a good blockbuster released at all in the last year!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yes, but if it had been hovering at 7,5 on IMDB instead of 5,5, rest assure more people - not less - would see it.

Still not enough to save the film from being such a flop, given the fact most of the theaters are shut down.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 70
    Or - and I've seen this pop up here and there - the viewing experience at home is so different, especially for this time of bombastic movie, that it just doesn't work and you will never get great reviews for these films.

This can't be overlooked. Not only does watching a first-run film at home negate the thrill and ambience of going to the cinema on opening weekend, but also when you're at home you're more likely to be on your phone while watching, and likely giving your running commentary... which means you're also reading other people's running commentary while watching the movie, before you've established what you think of it.

And okay, maybe those of us who populate this message board aren't the kind of people who would do that, but just look at how Twitter tore apart WW84 by the end of its the first weekend and formed a perception of the movie that has likely kept people away (for example, I thought the first one was really good and I have absolutely no desire to see this one, though in my case the online reviews were just confirming what I already believed from the trailers and clips: that it is dogsh!t).

Anyway, if I'm EON, streaming first or simultaneously is an absolute last resort, even if your film is as great as we are led to believe. The internet is a cesspool anymore and I'd keep NTTD away from it for as long as possible.
  • mtm wrote: »
    I don't follow this stuff super closely, but the three films I can recall as having been considered as the test balloons for blockbusters in Covid times - Tenet, Mulan and WW84 - have all been met with middling to straight up bad reviews.

That is a good point: we actually haven't had a good blockbuster released at all in the last year!

It's also worth considering that having a pristine HD copy of the film available on release day presumably played a part in tanking ticket sales, too.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited January 2021 Posts: 251
    delfloria wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    km16 wrote: »
    It would be ironic at this point if it comes out and it sucks after all of this waiting.

Imagine waiting this long for SPECTRE. Yes, the step brother nonsense destroyed the film for me.

That’s a shame.

That and Bond blowing up the entire HQ with ONE bullet, a snore inducing car chase, a poor ending to a great train fight, mixed intensions with Bond being attacked on the train but welcomed with open arms on his arrival at Blofeld's........etc. etc. not to mention a miserable title song, award or no award. I just hope NTTD does not suck in the same way after all the waiting.

"Shit"

X_X

Terrible
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited January 2021 Posts: 251

This can't be overlooked. Not only does watching a first-run film at home negate the thrill and ambience of going to the cinema on opening weekend, but also when you're at home you're more likely to be on your phone while watching, and likely giving your running commentary... which means you're also reading other people's running commentary while watching the movie, before you've established what you think of it.

And okay, maybe those of us who populate this message board aren't the kind of people who would do that, but just look at how Twitter tore apart WW84 by the end of its the first weekend and formed a perception of the movie that has likely kept people away (for example, I thought the first one was really good and I have absolutely no desire to see this one, though in my case the online reviews were just confirming what I already believed from the trailers and clips: that it is dogsh!t).

Anyway, if I'm EON, streaming first or simultaneously is an absolute last resort, even if your film is as great as we are led to believe. The internet is a cesspool anymore and I'd keep NTTD away from it for as long as possible.

I think I would rather watch the film at home than wait till November. I've got a big TV and a decent enough soundbar. I think watching at a cinema though would be even more exhilerating if it marked the end of Covid. Would be a great communal ocassion. It's difficult to imagine this happening in April though... in which case I would consider a 4k stream...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    This news appears with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Only a matter of time.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 727
    It might be seven years in between Bond films by the time it finally comes out.
    Now, are they going to wait until Nov. to start finding the next Bond and get to work on 26 or are they going get things up and running before another 6 years passes until the next release.?!?!?!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Another delay makes sense. Until November, though? Really? That is hard to swallow.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Even if we win this war tomorrow, it will still take time for confidence to build back up. Pushing the film back to November makes perfect sense. Better to be safe than sorry.

Remember what Frankie said, relax. Think of NTTD as a reward, we just have to keep hunkering down until it arrives.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 847
    Pushing the film back to November makes perfect sense

Continue to announce a dated (random) date otherwise to just annonce a simple (but honest and adjustable) "undefined" when you had experienced - by 5 times - in the past that you can meet the deadline, is not what a can call "perfect sense" imo...

Announce a date composed of a day+month+year when you're still don't know if you will/could fulfil it, makes no sense. Nobody know how the situation will be in november, with an "undefined" date you can do like Tenet : adjust the release of your movie when the situation is good enought otherwise to let the opportunity pass. In order to meet it's random november 2020 date, NTTD let the opportunity of july/august 2020 pass and now the movie is blocked for long time.
    matt_u wrote: »

Still not enough to save the film from being such a flop, given the fact most of the theaters are shut down.

WW84 had a 67,1% drop in the US in week 2 and another 45,5% in week 3.
    That's way more than a movie with a good word-of-mouth has.
    So even on its low niveau it's not doing constant numbers.

If the movie was good, it would have been more stable, and would have made more than double the $33 million, that it made until last sunday in the US.

Of course no pre-Covid-numbers are possible with cinemas closed in many states.
    But as I said: even at cinemas that are open, the movie had a good opening weekend, but horrific drops afterwards.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Jan1985 wrote: »

If the movie was good, it would have been more stable, and would have made more than double the $33 million, that it made until last sunday in the US.

But as I said: even at cinemas that are open, the movie had a good opening weekend, but horrific drops afterwards.

I’m not so sure. You’re underestimating people’s lack of confidence towards goin to the movies. I don’t think a better word of mouth would’ve doubled the WW84’s actual gross.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Word of mouth on WW '84 amongst the general population isn't bad. I'm not really sure where people are getting this from. The audience score is higher than the critics' score, and that's just a sample. The negativity is overblown.

It's not the barometer by which to judge the film's performance - I think, more simply, not enough people are ready to go back to the cinemas yet.

I’m not so sure. You’re underestimating people’s lack of confidence towards goin to the movies. I don’t think a better word of mouth would’ve doubled the WW84’s actual gross.

Other movies don't have dops like this.

Just look at "The Croods: A New Age":

1st weekend: $14,3 Mio
    2nd weekend: - 54,3%
    3rd weekend: - 31,1%
    4th weekend: - 32,1%
    5th weekend: - 16%
    6th weekend: +27,4%
    7th weekend: - 18,6%

These are almost "normal" drops.

Or look at "News of the World", which came out the same day as WW84:

2nd weekend: - 24,9%
    3rd weekend: - 26,9%

As mentioned before, all these movies perform on a low level compared to before Covid. But within the different releases you have movies, that have a "stable" run, and movies like WW84, that go down way faster.
    And that has to do with the perception of the movie in general.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    November is "the perfect sense" decision from the perspective that every Bond film over the past 30 years has been released around then and it's been a consistent winner. April was always a bit of the shot in the dark date, autumn is much more reliable for a franchise like Bond.

Remember, everyone involved can't afford to mess this one up, they need to remove as much uncertainty as possible. If there is another mutation of the virus, this may not even be the last delay (if its true). After so much sunk into this one film, they can't afford anything to go wrong. I think whatever happens it's possible we won't another Bond for 5 more years.
    History in the making.....

I am not referring to the number of times it is going to be postponed....

...but the NTTD production diary thread is going to be the longest - ever - on this board.

I am guessing 1500 pages!