No Time to Die production thread

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    Personally, though the general public audience would freak, I would enjoy a lower budgeted Bond film done at the level and style of FRWL.

I think it's doable: if you look at Skyfall it's not really packed with spectacle (or even action sequences!). It's just very stylish and looks and sounds beautiful, and has a bit of punch to the plot.

Very true but they spent over 200 million dollars on it. The question is, how does Eon make a film like SF or FRWL for under a hundred million dollars. Man from U.N.C.L.E. cost seventy five million so it's not like it can't be done.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,056
    Personally, though the general public audience would freak, I would enjoy a lower budgeted Bond film done at the level and style of FRWL.

I think it's doable: if you look at Skyfall it's not really packed with spectacle (or even action sequences!). It's just very stylish and looks and sounds beautiful, and has a bit of punch to the plot.

Very true but they spent over 200 million dollars on it. The question is, how does Eon make a film like SF or FRWL for under a hundred million dollars. Man from U.N.C.L.E. cost seventy five million so it's not like it can't be done.

They wont be paying Craig £50m for the next one, the new guy will be considerably cheaper. That’ll help 😂

For reference, Craig was paid £1.9m for CR.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes that's true. Although SF does look a lot more polished to me, it'd be hard to say it looks $125m more polished! :)
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 440
    While I do like SP and QoS, certainly more than most people anyway, it can't be denied that those are the two most recent Bond movies to have 2/3 year productions and neither one of them turned out to be as successful as their direct predecessors. Both of which took four years to make.

The "pump a new movie out every two years" approach simply doesn't work anymore, the market and filmmaking has changed too much. Arguably it didn't work that much in the past either since after Connery left, every movie (apart from Moonraker) that came out every two years, increasingly lost money.

:Edit: Also, one of the main reasons why movies like the Man From Uncle are so cheap is that they aren't shot mainly on location and don't feature a ton of practical stuntwork.

Contrast it to the Mission Impossible movies, which have only soared in budget as they have increased their amount of location filming and stuntwork.

The Bond films also tend to be more expensive because EON, for better or worse, are very lavish. They hire the best stunt crews to film in the best locations with some of the best actors and all that does add an additional cost as well.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,948
    I think UNCLE was shot on location as much as your average Bond is i.e. not necessarily in the location where it's set (and often somewhere in the UK) but not just in the studio. Bond films get shot in the SE of England as much as is humanly possible, despite their huge budgets!

Something like Die Another Day is filmed in far less of the real locations: I think, apart from London, the main cast actually appear in none of the locations the film is set in! :)
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 440
    I think UNCLE was shot on location as much as your average Bond is i.e. not necessarily in the location where it's set (and often somewhere in the UK) but not just in the studio. Bond films get shot in the SE of England as much as is humanly possible, despite their huge budgets!

Something like Die Another Day is filmed in far less of the real locations: I think, apart from London, the main cast actually appear in none of the locations the film is set in! :)

That's a fair point about how rarely these movies are filmed in the locations they are supposedly set, but there is still a big difference between how the Bond/Mission Impossible films approach location shooting and how The Man from U.N.C.L.E. did.

The out of the country location shooting in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was mostly second unit work that only lasted about three weeks and unlike the Bond films barely had any stunts involved.

Even something like Die Another Day still had months-long shoots outside of the country involving real helicopters, explosions, car chases and things of that sort.

Most of the action scenes in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. also relied much more heavily on CGI, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is much cheaper than practical stunts done on location in a foreign country.

Most of the shots in the Berlin chase, for example, are actually all computer-generated with no live action footage appearing in them at all.

VicblRg.jpg
    du3qJxf.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Anyone else get an invite? I'm sure the event will be a...gas.

50786869276_cea4f05fa8_o.png
    50786971802_e5e7a7ea41_o.png
    Happy New Year everybody!! Do you all think we will get NTTD in April?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Unfortunately, no. Here in the U.S., to no surprise, our vaccine rollout has been bungled and cases have soared out of control.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

That's only 90 days, I don't think so.

If it does drop in April, they won't make any money.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Cases are higher than ever where I am so unfortunately it'll be the summer before the vaccine rollout is at a sufficient stage to get things under control again.

So probably not.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Happy New Year guys..

Fingers crossed for April, and some new stills/footage in the coming weeks
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,965
    TripAces wrote: »

Unfortunately, no. Here in the U.S., to no surprise, our vaccine rollout has been bungled and cases have soared out of control.

People are refusing to take it. Cant blame them. It was rushed. Also dont believe media bullshit too on the vaccine. They love the fear.

Cases are higher than ever where I am so unfortunately it'll be the summer before the vaccine rollout is at a sufficient stage to get things under control again.

So probably not.

Just open the theaters and let people decide if they want to go or not.

So probably not.

That doesn't really help the film though.

So probably not.

TBH if I had it my way I just put it on streaming services.

So probably not.

This. Aside from us die hards, the general public likely will not feel comfortable in a theater setting for a good while. If they move the film as far back as November, they will never make a profit and I am sure they know it. They are better off pulling a WB and doing a same day releasen of theaters for those open and streaming.
    km16 wrote: »
    If they move the film as far back as November, they will never make a profit and I am sure they know it.

Why wouldn't they make a profit?
  • I say if they have to do yet another delay, then put it in December 2021, that way it’ll (hopefully) have little to no competition.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    November and December 2021 are quite crowded months with two Marvel movies, M:I7 and The Matrix 4 coming out, speaking about blockbusters. Perhaps late October would fit Bond better... Dune comes out October 1st, and Scott’s The Last Duel doesn’t sound exactly like a problem for Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That's a fair point about how rarely these movies are filmed in the locations they are supposedly set, but there is still a big difference between how the Bond/Mission Impossible films approach location shooting and how The Man from U.N.C.L.E. did.

The out of the country location shooting in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was mostly second unit work that only lasted about three weeks and unlike the Bond films barely had any stunts involved.

Even something like Die Another Day still had months-long shoots outside of the country involving real helicopters, explosions, car chases and things of that sort.

Most of the action scenes in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. also relied much more heavily on CGI, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is much cheaper than practical stunts done on location in a foreign country.

Most of the shots in the Berlin chase, for example, are actually all computer-generated with no live action footage appearing in them at all.

VicblRg.jpg
    du3qJxf.jpg

That's very cool, I did not spot that CG stuff at all- thanks for that. It's very impressive. I think they filmed the Berlin stuff in Kent mainly so it wouldn't have been because it was too expensive to shoot in a foreign country! :)

Did the first unit not go to Rome? I thought the main cast appeared in a few city locations there.

TripAces wrote: »

People are refusing to take it. Cant blame them. It was rushed.

They weren't rushed, no: they did the normal amount of testing stages but did them simultaneously. Please don't believe the nutjobs who tell you it's not safe.

VicblRg.jpg
    du3qJxf.jpg

That's very cool, I did not spot that CG stuff at all- thanks for that. It's very impressive. I think they filmed the Berlin stuff in Kent mainly so it wouldn't have been because it was too expensive to shoot in a foreign country! :)

Did the first unit not go to Rome? I thought the main cast appeared in a few city locations there.

First unit did go to Rome and other locations in the area. The seamless VFX and music by Pemberton are some of the highlights of the film. Eon has a tough decision ahead in the US because April won't be virus free and the film competition later in the year is severe.

VicblRg.jpg
    du3qJxf.jpg

The first unit did go to Rome (but not Naples, I think) with the cast but not for particularly long. All the stuff where the cast can be seen in famous Roman locations are pretty much all done for real and shot on location but it was only a couple weeks of shooting.

With the second unit filming alongside them for exterior shots and then doing an additional week in Naples for the scenes set at and around the villains' island.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

VicblRg.jpg
    du3qJxf.jpg

The first unit did go to Rome (but not Naples, I think) with the cast but not for particularly long. All the stuff where the cast can be seen in famous Roman locations are pretty much all done for real and shot on location but it was only a couple weeks of shooting.

With the second unit filming alongside them for exterior shots and then doing an additional week in Naples for the scenes set at and around the villains' island.

That's cool. Bond follows that rule too of course, using the UK as much as possible. Like for GoldenEye where Brosnan never appears in St Petersburg: just bits of London and Surrey doubling for it.
    But then they built half of St Petersburg on the backlot so that's where a big load of cash went! :)

The most obvious bit of doubling in UNCLE for me was when Goodwood motor circuit pretends to be in Italy- because Goodwood is really recognisable!
    That's cool. Bond follows that rule too of course, using the UK as much as possible. Like for GoldenEye where Brosnan never appears in St Petersburg: just bits of London and Surrey doubling for it.
    But then they built half of St Petersburg on the backlot so that's where a big load of cash went! :)

The most obvious bit of doubling in UNCLE for me was when Goodwood motor circuit pretends to be in Italy- because Goodwood is really recognisable!

Yeah, at the end of the day it's always going to be cheaper to shoot most of the movie in one country because it means you don't have to transport a lot of crewmembers and hire/train a ton of locals.

Goodwood did also stick out to me as well, but I initially had a much harder time identifying it because of the mountains and Italian landscape they had CGI'd into the background.
    If they move the film as far back as November, they will never make a profit and I am sure they know it.

You're kidding, right? The amount of money it will have lost over the 24 months it will have been delayed if it gets pushed to November (which, frankly, is utterly ridiculous when you really think about it), the bare minimum box office due to the general public likely not feeling comfortable enough to go see a theater-setting film. Its competition alone is also going to be a problem if you take into consideration the lack of big blockbuster films being released and what films this coming spring and summer that it may have to compete with if those are also delayed;
    - F9 (summer release undetermined)
    - Black Widow (summer release undetermined)
    - Ghostbusters Afterlife (summer release undetermined)
    - Godzilla vs Kong (summer release undetermined)
    - Venom: Let There Be Carnage (summer release undetermined)
    - Top Gun: Maverick (summer release undetermined)
    - Shang Chi (summer release undetermined)
    - Jungle Cruise (summer release undetermined)
    - Resident Evil
    - Death on the Nile

All of those flicks could potentially be moved and create a problem for No Time to Die's box office. And that is not even taking into effect it may also have to compete with the likes of Marvel's Eternals and Mission Impossible 7 the same month, and Marvel's Spider-Man 3 a few weeks later with its massive universe bending cast, which will all drain its box office potential.

You're kidding, right? The amount of money it will have lost over the 24 months it will have been delayed if it gets pushed to November (which, frankly, is utterly ridiculous when you really think about it), the bare minimum box office due to the general public likely not feeling comfortable enough to go see a theater-setting film. Its competition alone is also going to be a problem if you take into consideration the lack of big blockbuster films being released and what films this coming spring and summer that it may have to compete with if those are also delayed;
    - F9 (summer release undetermined)
    - Black Widow (summer release undetermined)
    - Ghostbusters Afterlife (summer release undetermined)
    - Godzilla vs Kong (summer release undetermined)
    - Venom: Let There Be Carnage (summer release undetermined)
    - Top Gun: Maverick (summer release undetermined)
    - Shang Chi (summer release undetermined)
    - Jungle Cruise (summer release undetermined)
    - Resident Evil
    - Death on the Nile

All of those flicks could potentially be moved and create a problem for No Time to Die's box office. And that is not even taking into effect it may also have to compete with the likes of Marvel's Eternals and Mission Impossible 7 the same month, and Marvel's Spider-Man 3 a few weeks later with its massive universe bending cast, which will all drain its box office potential.

Why is it ridiculous? What was the alternative?

No, I wasn't kidding. Most of those releases wouldn't have been much competition before the pandemic and they likely won't be much competition after (Resident Evil? Really? Please). When the time comes for films to be released, none of them will want to be in direct competition with Bond either. As you say, they will move. Marvel's Eternals, for example, will likely move back to its original Feb '21 date. F9, Black Widow, and MI7 are really the only ones that would cause any hassle. Direct competition with Bond would eat into their profits too.

NTTD really only needs a decent two week window to get itself over the line. That's very doable if they get the timing right. It would be more than they'd make on any streaming service, unless someone meets their asking price.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it seems likely they'll stay out of each others' way like they usually do, and I'm guessing as production slowed down there's fewer blockbusters coming up and more gaps in the schedule for them all.
    Filming for the Far From Home sequel is set to last until the end of March, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they move Eternals back even further than February and get the Spider-Man film in its place and Black Widow bowing in December. The buzz over that Spider-Man film will be considerable.

But it's hard to know what way they will work it.

So probably not.

This. Aside from us die hards, the general public likely will not feel comfortable in a theater setting for a good while. If they move the film as far back as November, they will never make a profit and I am sure they know it. They are better off pulling a WB and doing a same day releasen of theaters for those open and streaming.

This is what I would do.